Opinions on best DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just upgraded my internet service with Cox Communications, to their Ultimate Internet package, which has speeds up and over 55Mbps download.

So instead of renting their Netgear CG3000D which is a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem and Wireless-N router etc...

I just need a cable modem, because I'm using a new Apple Airport Express out where my A/V equipment is and its a better spot for the wireless access point anyway. So I just want a good modem to feed the switches in the house with that blazing fast speed.

Not sure there is much difference in the current CISCO, Motorola or Linksys modems, but if there are, I'd like to hear it here.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Rogers in Canada is one of the biggest cable ISP's [we call them Robbers] and it gives out SMC, Hitron & Cisco modems on any new setups or upgrades to existing ones.

It is considered public knowledge on forums, and even their own techs admit that they get a lot of the SMC & Hitrons coming back and they then hand out the Cisco ones which they never have issues with.

I upgrade my service a couple of months ago to 25Mbps from 5Mbps and Robbers asked me to get a new modem so I called the local Robbers locations and got one that had Cisco's to hand out and set it up at home myself.

I never used one of the other ones and I can say without a doubt, I have never had any issues with it so far.

I am a huge Usenet user and I max out the 25Mbps [flatline on a speed graph] all the time without issues.

The model number I have is DPC3825.

Also, when I configured it, I put it into a mode [only requires changing a drop-down] that makes it behave exactly like the old Motorola surfboard modeI I used for a decade before I got it.

This mode I refer to is where it just hands out the public Internet IP out of its first Ethernet port and allows you to use your own router instead which is considered the best practice anyway.
post #3 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like there is a certain set of Modems and Gateways that I can use on Cox...and be supported.

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/oklahomacity/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=b2ec95d0-7ef9-11df-5590-000000000000

I need the gateway/modem, right now I have the Netgear CG3000D but I'm renting it, I could do the option of buying it.
Or buy the Cisco DPC3825, I just don't know which one is the better gateway or modem?
post #4 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

So my choices are these 4:

Cisco DPC3825
Netgear CG3000D
Motorola SBG6580
Zoom 5350

Of these 4 which one would you get and why?

Thanks!
post #5 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Would love to have opinions on this as well. Moving to northern San Diego and will have Cox. The Cisco DPC3825 and Netgear CG3000D seem to have the best reviews.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #6 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Would love to have opinions on this as well. Moving to northern San Diego and will have Cox. The Cisco DPC3825 and Netgear CG3000D seem to have the best reviews.

Agreed, I think my choice is down to one of those two. I'm chatting with a Cox rep now, in Tech Support, from Central Florida and he/she said the Cisco one was their recommendation. They said it was the better one with wireless reception.
post #7 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

So my choices are these 4:

Cisco DPC3825
Netgear CG3000D
Motorola SBG6580
Zoom 5350

Of these 4 which one would you get and why?

Thanks!

I wouldn't get any of those. I don't like integrated products. I use a Motorola 6120 and it's worked fine for me for years.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6120-SURFboard-eXtreme-Broadband/dp/B001UI2FPE

After that, pick up a separate router or build your own.
post #8 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post

I wouldn't get any of those. I don't like integrated products. I use a Motorola 6120 and it's worked fine for me for years.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6120-SURFboard-eXtreme-Broadband/dp/B001UI2FPE

After that, pick up a separate router or build your own.

Whats so special about this stand alone modem? What stand alone router would you suggest to go along with it?
You've used it with Cox Communications Internet Service for years?

Its on their list of modems, but not suggested to work with the Premiere package, it appears that your model is an older model and not up to speed with their fastest stuff.
http://ww2.cox.com/residential/oklahomacity/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=b2ec95d0-7ef9-11df-5590-000000000000

They are suggesting these for their top tier Internet package (Ultimate) which is what I have: SB6180 and SB6141
I'd still need a router after that...what goes along with these?

Why are you against integrated modem/router/gateways?
post #9 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:

I wouldn't get any of those. I don't like integrated products. .

+1
If the modem goes down you also lose your router and whole network. I stick with a separate modem and router. Been very pleased with the Motorola SB6120 since it was new, rock solid stable.
post #10 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

+1
If the modem goes down you also lose your router and whole network. I stick with a separate modem and router. Been very pleased with the Motorola SB6120 since it was new, rock solid stable.

Ok, well the SB6120 is not recommended for my service, as I don't think its fast enough or wouldn't allow me to get the most out of my speeds, they recommend the SB6140, but then what router do I get?
I need something to be my DHCP server etc...
post #11 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

+1

Oh and PS, if the modem goes with a stand alone or gateway, I lose my whole network pretty much, nothing will have internet. I don't have networked PCs just PCs and devices that need the internet, so if the modem goes, everything pretty useless anyway.
post #12 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Looking at some of the Linksys routers, the Linksys E3200 High-Performance Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router looks pretty stout.
I would love to get the best Wireless-N router out there.

There is also the Linksys EA4500 App-Enabled N900 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with Gigabit and USB and Linksys EA6500 Smart Wi-Fi Dual-Band AC Router with Gigabit and 2x USB, but maybe they are overkill?
post #13 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Looking deeper into the Wireless Routers, there is an ASUS and Linksys match up reviewed here:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020148/linksys-ea6500-review-a-user-friendly-802-11ac-router-with-decent-performance.html

They apparently love the ASUS.
post #14 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:

Ok, well the SB6120 is not recommended for my service, as I don't think its fast enough or wouldn't allow me to get the most out of my speeds, they recommend the SB6140, but then what router do I get?

All the Motorola modems are much the same, only difference being added features and function. FWIW, DOCSIS-3 modems are not any "faster" than any other, they just do channel bonding.
post #15 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

All the Motorola modems are much the same, only difference being added features and function. FWIW, DOCSIS-3 modems are not any "faster" than any other, they just do channel bonding.

Well there is a reason Cox is recommending certain models in their list with the Ultimate service they offer. So I'm going to stick with one of the recommended modems for the Ultimate service, so I can get the best service and speed out of it.
post #16 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM

Liked: 19
Look for a modem with 8 channel bonding downstream and 4 channel bonding upstream. More channels bonded = more speed capabilities.

8X4 modems.
Cisco DCP3010
Motorola SB6141
Motorola SB6180

The Motorola SB6120 and SB6121 only have 4 channel bonding downstream so you wouldn't get the most from your ultimate package.
chrisjmccord likes this.
post #17 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas_Tom View Post

Look for a modem with 8 channel bonding downstream and 4 channel bonding upstream. More channels bonded = more speed capabilities.

8X4 modems.
Cisco DCP3010
Motorola SB6141
Motorola SB6180

The Motorola SB6120 and SB6121 only have 4 channel bonding downstream so you wouldn't get the most from your ultimate package.

Thats exactly why Cox recommends the 3 you mentioned, and what I've been trying to tell rdgrimes in the previous posts. Thanks Kansas_Tom.
What wireless N router do you suggest to go along with it?
post #18 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:

Quote:

The 6120 can bond 4 down and 4 up channels, the 6141 8 down and 4 up channels. That gives the 6141 a better chance of not slowing down due to congestion.
chrisjmccord likes this.
post #19 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I'm going to go with the Cisco DCP3010, so I can also go with a Cisco/Linksys Wireless-N Router, keep it all in the family.
I'm digging the new line of Cisco/Linksys routers EA3500, 4500 and 6500 that have the smart apps for the iPhone to manage the router remotely.
post #20 of 37 Old 02-11-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Do you all know what they mean with the 450Mbps + 1300 on the EA6500? I doubt I'd ever get the 350 or 450 let alone 1300...right?

post #21 of 37 Old 02-12-2013, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Whats so special about this stand alone modem?

It's a good solid DOCSIS 3 modem.
Quote:

What stand alone router would you suggest to go along with it?

I don't really have a recommendation on that side. I built my own using pfSense.
Quote:

You've used it with Cox Communications Internet Service for years?

I've used that modem on several ISPs with no problems.
Quote:

Its on their list of modems, but not suggested to work with the Premiere package, it appears that your model is an older model and not up to speed with their fastest stuff.

They are suggesting these for their top tier Internet package (Ultimate) which is what I have: SB6180 and SB6141

The newer versions should work fine. I just forgot what the model numbers were.
Quote:

I'd still need a router after that...what goes along with these?

You don't have to "match" routers to modems. Find one that gets good reviews and has the features you want.
Quote:

Why are you against integrated modem/router/gateways?

Firstly, as was mentioned, if one part dies, you have to replace the whole thing. Secondly, I built my own router/gateway. It does far more than your standard router. So anything other than a bare metal modem would be useless to me.
post #22 of 37 Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It's a good solid DOCSIS 3 modem.
I don't really have a recommendation on that side. I built my own using pfSense.
I've used that modem on several ISPs with no problems.
The newer versions should work fine. I just forgot what the model numbers were.
You don't have to "match" routers to modems. Find one that gets good reviews and has the features you want.
Firstly, as was mentioned, if one part dies, you have to replace the whole thing. Secondly, I built my own router/gateway. It does far more than your standard router. So anything other than a bare metal modem would be useless to me.

Ok thanks. I can't build my own, nor do I want to try. The linksys 3500/4500/6500 series does quite a lot, and now with iPhone apps, you can edit and control them from remote locations, which is nice.
Add on all the USB features, and prioritization features, this is what I need and want. So I'll be going with one of them.

Thanks for your inputs!
post #23 of 37 Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am in Ct and a Cox Internet and phone user. I have just taken advantage of some individualized via pop up promotion. It is a free DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem upgrade. A self install deal and quick swap all done via FED EX in a couple of days. I was simply looking for some indication of the modem i had and how to open the software up since the accompanying disc will not open the manual. It is a dead file or broken.
I checked my account to see the type of modem i got and the Telephone part of the account shows I have a CISCO DSA 3212 modem. Problem being that Cisco doesnt list that. It had the DPC3212; COX ONLY LISTS DPC3010 OR DPC 3000 in the compatible modem list.
I believe regardless of the first 3 letters the specs are similar, the DPC 3010 is from a few yrs ago and, as others have noted an 8x4 channel or stream.
I had been using an Arris Docsis 2.0 telephony modem that Cox supplied for free on my initial self installation as part of the diy promotion , along with the free cordless phones. I immediately saw a large increase in uploading speed. It had been very low and I had been considering buying a compatible cable modem for months and the free promotion came along as I was looking over what had been recently been made available in my area. I had only an option to get a standard modem for docsis3 but need to keep my Arris for phone. Until now. I expected a large speed jump in the upstream capacity of the new modem. I only did basic tests so far so nothing is set in stone for me.
The new modem is fine so far,no drops ,no problems and good speed tests. The downstream has not been noticeably faster. Now it is getting pings of 30 and downloads at 32.85Mb/s to 29.30Mb/s and that is on the same level as the old Arris docsis 2.0. plus i got a 19 or 20 ping all the time from the server. The server download was , on average, lower but that is over a 2year period and Cox standard for download for Premier was a bit lower then. Still it avg in the mid 20s 24 to 26Mb/s was typical with a 19ping.
So far with the new Cisco DSA 3212 modem (if that is what it really is) the uploads have been 22Mb/s, 24Mb/s and none lower than 20Mb/s. and downloads higher as i indicated above. Arris docsis 2.0 uploads were never higher than 12Mb/s and usually well under 10Mb/s around 8Mb/s on avg. So, i have immediate easily measurable improvements. Not many, yet and only from the 2 locations speedtest and whatever Cox uses on my web pages in the account area , where ever it is. I also have Network Magic by cisco with my E3000 router which also has a speed test in it. only used it once with the new modem and it is similar to the other 2 in both up and downstream. Have not done the more in depth checks as yet for s/n and other throughput checks and , of course , only a few over a very short time. too early to make any real conclusions regarding this particular modem 'upgrade' and whether I will start to look for an updated or newer model, if there is one. so far, it is just fine and i can enjoy the improvement i do see in streaming netflix , particularly through my LG BD570. the video quality for the whole movie is much better. Silverlight /web browser streaming has always been potentially rocky. all movies will 'tail off' and begin to get blocky at the last 3 to 5mins. HD goes non HD, even the old b & w westerns i watch will really slow down at the end. No answers from netflix or cable co. I know how to pull up the built in Silverlight Shift, cont, alt S or P to get the download speeds and they always slow down as if buffering at the very end for no good reason . doesnt indicate it is buffering, but that is a different story ...
this modem Cisco 3212 is a marked improvement, so far, and was a free upgrade and no extra charges on my self install, no one time fees no nothing but a better modem.

LG42LD550, ONKYO TX SR608, POLK M70s 7.1POLK 10"SUB, LG BD570, PINNACLE USB PVR-HD. GA990FXA UD3, SAPPHIRE HD 7950 OC 3Gb GDDR5, AMD FX-8150BE@4.0, 16Gb GSKILL DDR3 1600, SSD: CRUCIAL M4 128Gb, HDD: 3- 1TB SPINPOINT F3, WD4GB MY BOOK DUO LAN CLOUD , CISCO E3200, TP LINK 8PORT SWITCH; CISCO DOCS3.0
post #24 of 37 Old 05-18-2013, 02:45 AM

which one did you end up buying. I am also in the same dilema. cisco dpc3010 vs motorola. and also which router. I am planning on getting cox ultimate?
post #25 of 37 Old 05-18-2013, 04:41 AM

i purchased Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem White and ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router for cox ultimate internet. I hear cox is going to upgrade speeds by the end of next months. so it should be future proof. let me know what you all think?
post #26 of 37 Old 05-18-2013, 08:39 AM

I have use this new free offer Cisco docsis3 modem with telephone from cox cable. I continue to get steady 30mbps downloads and 20-22mbps upload speeds from speedtest.net as well as on the Network Magic software I got with a linksys router. I have no complaints. It doesnt address the continued issue I have with ntflx streaming movies; still get boxy at the last few mins and there is clearly a slow down of stream. neither ntflx nor cox feel they have any answer, what so ever. 'a connection issue' not a word more on the issue. I havent figured out what that refers to and i went directly from modem to Netflix app in TV, BD player and in browser. will not keep streaming speed to the app, though the upload/download speeds are constant during those times. I am stuck as far as fixing that.

LG42LD550, ONKYO TX SR608, POLK M70s 7.1POLK 10"SUB, LG BD570, PINNACLE USB PVR-HD. GA990FXA UD3, SAPPHIRE HD 7950 OC 3Gb GDDR5, AMD FX-8150BE@4.0, 16Gb GSKILL DDR3 1600, SSD: CRUCIAL M4 128Gb, HDD: 3- 1TB SPINPOINT F3, WD4GB MY BOOK DUO LAN CLOUD , CISCO E3200, TP LINK 8PORT SWITCH; CISCO DOCS3.0
post #27 of 37 Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

If you go to broadbandreports.com (nee dslreports.com) you will find extensive discussion of cable modems and the problems they have with specific providers.

I've read enough horror stories there about various newer DOCSIS 3.0 modems that I'm sticking to my old purchased Motorola SB5101 DOCSIS 2.0 modem. I get 20 mbps down, 4 mbps up with it and it never locks up or needs to be rebooted. That's good enough for me. YMMV.
post #28 of 37 Old 05-19-2013, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

If you go to broadbandreports.com (nee dslreports.com) you will find extensive discussion of cable modems and the problems they have with specific providers.

I've read enough horror stories there about various newer DOCSIS 3.0 modems that I'm sticking to my old purchased Motorola SB5101 DOCSIS 2.0 modem. I get 20 mbps down, 4 mbps up with it and it never locks up or needs to be rebooted. That's good enough for me. YMMV.

?

I frequent dslreports and don't see the same.

I am a happy user of a SB6121 (Motorola D3 modem) - it has never locked or need to be rebooted.
post #29 of 37 Old 05-19-2013, 02:35 AM

I had specific needs with modems that cox cable would support due to the telephone i have. I used an arris d2 up till a couple of weeks ago and stuck with it because it was totally solid for 3yrs. never needed to be re booted, though i did so as part of a routine , but never was in any situation that needed a re boot to resolve. I got similar downloads in the 22mbps to 28mbps all the time with upload speeds always under 10 and usually 5 or 6. i was surprised at the marked increase in upload times with the d3 cisco modem. always around 20 and usually very close to the download speeds . that is the most significant change i can actually measure. I am not sure about other improvements, seems a bit faster overall. but it was always pretty fast and never had any complaints other than netflix movies slowing down for an unknown reason.

post #30 of 37 Old 05-19-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

?

I frequent dslreports and don't see the same.

I am a happy user of a SB6121 (Motorola D3 modem) - it has never locked or need to be rebooted.

I'm just a casual reader of DSL reports. Maybe you're more in tune with what comments are reliable, etc. But I just did a quick search on your specific modem and found lots of complaints. I have bolded some of the highlights. I'm sure it varies a lot by ISP. As I said before, YMMV.

The first is from an older thread
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27487109-New-SB6121-Now-connection-isnt-as-reliable
That thread shows up high "sorted by relevance". Some choice snippets from the thread:
For the last 8 years or so I was using a SB5120. Had no issues whats so ever. Just over a week ago I picked up a SB6121 because I wanted D3 compatible modem. (My area is D3 compliant).
WHat I have noticed now is that the modem is rebooting randomly and causing my VOIP conversations to fail. It seems to reboot when I am on a call. It has happened 3 times during a call. (Never with my old modem).
There have been issues lately with the 612x series and T4 timeouts.

I also found quite a few recent remarks about the topic, just to see if things are better. Here are some recent threads "sorted by date":
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28298498-SB6141-6121-Reset-All-defaults-
Some snippets:
Also, is there a way i can update the firmware on the SB6121 (not the SB6141) to the latest one? (the SB6141 is uptodate with the SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.8-SCM01-NOSH firmware).
RCN won't push a firmware update on this modem for their life. Its outdated and I'm thinking the reason why it takes forever to hold on to the cable signal is because of the outdated firmware it runs.
It has been my experience with Motorola cable modems that you do need to push the Restart button (or power cycle the modem) after doing the "Reset All Defaults" in order for the reset to actually take effect.

As for updating the firmware, unfortunately many ISPs seem to not want to update firmware in customer owned modems (and the ISP is the only official way to get it done).

Another recent thread:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28280027-Motorola-SB6121-1.0.5
A snippet:
Rogers took it on themselves to upgrade the SB6120 to a bad firmware, I think 1.0.2.4. They pushed this firmware to all SB6120s in service, and it caused enormous headaches. They then pushed 1.0.6.1 to all SB6120s in service, and continued to do this for a long time. I can't recall exactly when they actually stopped (sometime mid 2012), but upgrades were still happening months after Rogers said they would never upgrade firmware again.

Yet another recent thread:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28283809-Signals-SB6121-frequently-failure-due-to-T4-timeouts
A snippet:
A few months ago, I got new SB6121 cable modem to replace my old cable modem was maxed out due to hardware limitation. However, I am getting frequent connection loss during peak times like some evenings or some weekends each few minutes. Here are two signals from different time (see below). Does anyone have any solution with SB6121? Is that defective? I had old cable modem and it worked great.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page