Help with hardware for ripping *Lossless* DVD/BLU-RAY, server storage, and media organization... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have amassed an overwhelming library of 2000+ DVD's and storage has become a disastrous problem. I need an efficient solution for replacing all of this plastic. I currently flip through hundreds of pages of binders in search of movie titles and my shelf space is severely compromised. I am looking for something similar to the exorbitantly priced Kaleidescape hardware, that would easily allow me to rip DVDs and BRs in lossless format (menus, content and all, without compromising A/V quality) to a server or external drive with significant space to accommodate such a vast collection, and that would allow for user-friendly filtering through titles, covers, genres, etc. and be able to output directly to my HDTV, laptop, whatever.

I am not too tech saavy when it comes to HTPC and would greatly appreciate your patience and advice. I'm willing to spend up to 5-6k max if necessary, however not exceeding that price point.

I am looking to ditch all the plastic discs and have everything safely stored and digitally organized without the need to hang on to the source media.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Coincidentally, if anyone would like to inherit a warehouse-sized DVD/BR collection of classic movies, noir, westerns, horror, b-grade, arthouse, criterions, etc. in exchange for your help in building an efficient system as described, consider the offer on the table! wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-11-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Since you said you want your full movie with menu's etc. you are going to need a lot of storage. With 2000+ you will need 20+ terrabytes of storage. Also you will need some kind of redundancy Just in case a Hard drive crashes.

You will need anydvd or dvdfab to get rid of the encryption. Then there are some good players out there, the Dune being one of them. The Reason I mention the Dune is that it is one of the players that will do blu-ray menu playback where most will only do a lite menu
Also you mention 2000+ dvd's How many blu-ray do you have. That will effect your storage.

I would figure out your storage needs first and then take a look at the different Jukeboxes out there and see which one you like best.

Another cost will be the ripping machine. Try and find a old machine add a 6 port Sata pci card, so you can add 6 dvd/blu-ray players for ripping. This way you can drop 6 dvd's a day instead of 1.

Back to storage I decided the more expensive route, but it is easier on me is Synology. They have great products and a lot to choose from.

I would look at this one from synology http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS2413%2B&lang=us

it has 12 drive with another add on for another 12 drives. But this may blow your budget, because of how many hard drives you need.

Hopefully this helps you get started.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you so much for such a detailed and helpful response; it's greatly appreciated!

I suppose, in retrospect, that I don't necessarily need to hang on to all of the menu screens, etc. however there are certain extra features which are worthwhile to me and I'm not sure how I'd retain these and organize them otherwise. If you had any suggestions for this, I'd be more inclined to just rip the features themtselves and forget about the rest. Also, how would I deal with television seasons, comedy and cartoon short anthologies consisting of multiple short films, etc. without keeping the menu screens? Is there an organized way of doing this that I'm not aware of?

As for Blu-Rays, I don't have that many - about 30 or so right now, but I'm considering updating many of my DVDs in the process of this overhaul and would estimate around 120 or so total in future.

I currently have a standalone Oppo BDP-83 player and am looking at HDTVs since I recently moved into a new apartment and sold my ancient home theater (dlp projection) setup last year. I guess this Oppo would not be of use to me anymore, and would any of the players like Dune you mentioned be of similar quality to the Oppo or is this now apples and oranges since we're eiliminating the physical discs altogether?

Are AnyDVD and DVDfab the encryption breaking software that I'd need to install on a computer or "ripping machine"?

When you suggest that I try to find an old machine, do you mean that I should just look for an old PC to work from, and is there something specifically designed for the purpose of ripping DVDs/BluRays in the interest of time efficiency? I'm worried that this will be a year-long project and I'm anxious to dump my DVDs ASAP.

Also, is there any concern (similar to duping CDs which is really my only point of reference) that there could be A/V hiccups or glitches in the process? I rarely download movies as my media library would attest, however I have on ocassion for one reason or another, and have noticed at times slight hiccups in the treansfers; an audio bleep here and there or timeframe skip or whatever. I can't imagine pouring over the individual transfers of so many movies to check for these details, however would be concerned when throwing away the physical discs that such might occur with so many transfers to perform.

With Synology, should the one DS2413+ be sufficient for my storage needs or would I require several? I'm looking for something which packs a punch in terms of function and reliability but streamlined in the size department and couldn't imagine dealing with multiple stacks of server drives. I've also been Googling around and came upon the Drobo - either 5, 8 or even 12 Bay. Would this be a worthy alternative to consider? Again, I'm feeling around int he dark with all of this so your advice and feedback is genuinely appreciated and taken to heart...

Thanks again!!
post #4 of 4 Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I suppose, in retrospect, that I don't necessarily need to hang on to all of the menu screens, etc. however there are certain extra features which are worthwhile to me and I'm not sure how I'd retain these and organize them otherwise. If you had any suggestions for this, I'd be more inclined to just rip the features themtselves and forget about the rest. Also, how would I deal with television seasons, comedy and cartoon short anthologies consisting of multiple short films, etc. without keeping the menu screens? Is there an organized way of doing this that I'm not aware of?

This is a personal choice and will take some time since you will have to go through the disc 1 by 1 and rip individual episodes. I just did this with a show and every season the titles kept changing and the only way to find out which ep is what title is to view it in a program like VLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverB View Post

Are AnyDVD and DVDfab the encryption breaking software that I'd need to install on a computer or "ripping machine"?

You just need to choose one then they will both read the disc with out any encryption.
Quote:
When you suggest that I try to find an old machine, do you mean that I should just look for an old PC to work from, and is there something specifically designed for the purpose of ripping DVDs/BluRays in the interest of time efficiency? I'm worried that this will be a year-long project and I'm anxious to dump my DVDs ASAP.

I just said this for cost sake since it is just copying. To speed the process up you will need to get as many dvd readers as possible. For me I Purchased a PCI 6 Port SATA card and hooked up 6 dvd drives. In the morning before I left I put 6 dvd's in and used anydvd to rip to iso. at night I tried doing 10-20.

Quote:
With Synology, should the one DS2413+ be sufficient for my storage needs or would I require several? I'm looking for something which packs a punch in terms of function and reliability but streamlined in the size department and couldn't imagine dealing with multiple stacks of server drives. I've also been Googling around and came upon the Drobo - either 5, 8 or even 12 Bay. Would this be a worthy alternative to consider? Again, I'm feeling around int he dark with all of this so your advice and feedback is genuinely appreciated and taken to heart...

I would stay away from Drobo for now. Every review I have read is that the transfer speeds are very slow. For storage each dvd rougly is close to 9 gigs. Now not all disc's will take up this amount of space. So (9 gigabytes x 2000 = 17.578125 terabytes). You will need roughly 18 terabytes, but since you said you will be upgrading some to blu-ray, each disc is almost 50 gigs. So plan for expansion.

You can either choose a 2413+(expandable to 24 discs) or the 1813+(expandable to 18 disks) Both have a option for 1 or 2 disk redundancy.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming