Streaming .ISO help please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2013, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey

I have recently upgraded to a Panasonic 3D TV which has a built in media centre. I have installed Serviio on my PC and its running fantastically. However, I want to add my 3D Blurays to the PC in order to play them whenever in any room etc.

I have backed up my Blurays in .ISO format on the PC and have created a virtual drive to mount them on when needed. I have shared this drive across my network and it can be accessed no problem. The problem is that it opens the drive like a directory rather than a film. I can watch the film, but only on upscaled 3D as I have to select the .mt2s (in 2D) file manually rather than seeing it as if I had put a film in the drive.

Im not asking for Serviio help, as it appears its not the program for me just yet. I am looking for a way to get around this, if its possible. Is there anything else I can install which will allow me to share a drive across a network in the correct way?

What I really want is something I can install, which will allow my TV to "see" the drive as a Bluray drive and not a directory of folders..

At this point I am not able to buy any additional hardware and I would like to avoid ripping my films down to H-SBS as I dont want the quality loss.

Have I got options?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamThresher View Post

Hey

I have recently upgraded to a Panasonic 3D TV which has a built in media centre. I have installed Serviio on my PC and its running fantastically. However, I want to add my 3D Blurays to the PC in order to play them whenever in any room etc.

I have backed up my Blurays in .ISO format on the PC and have created a virtual drive to mount them on when needed. I have shared this drive across my network and it can be accessed no problem. The problem is that it opens the drive like a directory rather than a film. I can watch the film, but only on upscaled 3D as I have to select the .mt2s (in 2D) file manually rather than seeing it as if I had put a film in the drive.

Im not asking for Serviio help, as it appears its not the program for me just yet. I am looking for a way to get around this, if its possible. Is there anything else I can install which will allow me to share a drive across a network in the correct way?

What I really want is something I can install, which will allow my TV to "see" the drive as a Bluray drive and not a directory of folders..

At this point I am not able to buy any additional hardware and I would like to avoid ripping my films down to H-SBS as I dont want the quality loss.

Have I got options?

Thanks in advance

Honestly, I know you don't want to get any additional hardware but I think the only real solution to properly playback blu-ray ISOs is a Dune or PCH media player. If you're really constrained financially at the moment you can look for a Netgear Neo 550 that's supposed to handle ISOs reasonably well also and it wasn't all that well received so you might be able to pick one up at a discount or a used one.

I'm personally a very happy Dune owner but with Cinavia bringing an end to blu-ray menu support in media players I regret ripping to ISO - I should have gone the MKV route from the outset which is a format seemingly every media player supports with more and more of them also supporting HD sound. Only forced subtitles still pose a problem for many players but if you plan ahead and only rip forced subtitles you can get around that by leaving subtitles on by default.

I would take a look long at how many titles you have ripped and consider whether it's worth your while to redo them to give you more flexibility in terms of media player playback - for me it's a no-go (I don't have the energy to start over and my Dune player works great) but if you haven't put too much time into it, it could be the way to go.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply. I know hardware is the simple route, but I simply cant afford it right now. I do have my eye on a Dune unit, they look fantastic, but I cant help thinking there must be a solution for this somewhere. I have found a plug in for windows media centre, which allows it to see iso's, automatically mount them to a virtual drive and play them. However, extender support was disabled while he fixed some code... That was 2 years ago! I would also prefer to not have to go back to WMC just for isos, but if it was a solution I would.

Most of my media is mkv, but for 3D I really want to avoid converting films from the native iso to h-sbs for quality reasons. In 2d the difference is minimal, but I feel the difference in 3D is worth trying to retain if possible but it seems over a network its not possible without a media player, which I just cant get my head around!