Need a Dune H1 replacement with gapless audio & better audio navigation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my first post after several years of coming here for answers to technical problems!

I have had a Dune HD Smart H1 for the last year or two and have been using it to stream 1080p movies (mostly .mkv and .avi) and lossless audio (.flac, .wav, .aiff) from a NAS. It works brilliantly but I have a few issues with the audio side that have snowballed into wanting to replace the unit with something else. First, the lack of gapless playback. I have lots of compilations/mixes that are meant to be heard continously, without gaps, and this unit can't do it. Secondly It is seriously annoying having to stop the audio while browsing around menus to find the next tune to play.

Are there any devices on the market that can do what the H1 can do while providing gapless audio and better jukebox navigation? I'm not particularly bothered about WIFI as the H1 is cabled in. I also don't use the H1's hard drive bay as I have a NAS for storage. Any suggestion would be appreciated!

smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-12-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi Stannington,

Congratulations on your first post.

You could get a separate solution audio, like Sonos, Logitech or Apple. Those audio-only devices do a much better job than the video devices, which tend to ignore audio. Since you already have a Dune, you can't really improve on your video playback. I wish I could help with an audio solution, but I have limited my audio playback to Audiotrons and the Netgear NeoTV-550

As far as I know, only the NeoTV-550 and the AppleTV can play gapless music. You might want to consider the AppleTV if you already have some Apple infrastructure. I don't, so I won't be of much help there either.

The NeoTV plays all of the audio formats that I know, as well as having the best jukebox of all of the players I've tried. I run the Zappiti jukebox on my Dune, but the Neo jukebox is far more capable. It works better for video as well as music, although it is a little buggy. The Neo is not nearly as bug-free as the Dune, and it doesn't work for everybody because of that. But I have not come across those bugs. It is also at end-of-life, but as you can see from my Audiotrons, that is not something that bothers me. I find, for playing DVDs and Blu-Rays from my NAS, that the Neo as almost on par with the Dune.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page