Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 232 Old 05-25-2013, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Until there is broadband access across most countries physical media will remain. 34% of US households have no broadband to their home. It's going to take awhile, cool your jets.

Now the case is closed.
A lot of that is due to most households do not want it in their homes, and are fine with dial-up, or 1mb down dsl, even though there is Satellite high speed available around the globe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 232 Old 05-26-2013, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
rolleyes.gif

Let's pretend that a lot of it is due to the fact that the rural market is not lucrative enough for many carriers to upgrade their infrastructure to support broadband.

post #213 of 232 Old 05-26-2013, 06:24 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

rolleyes.gif

Let's pretend that a lot of it is due to the fact that the rural market is not lucrative enough for many carriers to upgrade their infrastructure to support broadband.
And lets pretend that you just did not state that, which is exactly what Verizon, ATT, and other telephone line carriers have stated. Again, that is where Satellite Broadband takes over, if you have not been paying attention to the industry news.
post #214 of 232 Old 05-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
IMAGIC,

did the anti-stream league run you off?

Where are all the comparisons gone?
post #215 of 232 Old 05-28-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1666
Prefect timing. Coming really soon. Hours, not days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

IMAGIC,

did the anti-stream league run you off?

Where are all the comparisons gone?
nrc2112 likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #216 of 232 Old 05-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Prefect timing. Coming really soon. Hours, not days.
Looking forward to it.
post #217 of 232 Old 05-29-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Not running him off but some of us question what his true motive is.

I don't care if streaming is there to replace the rental market but I don't want streaming to replace physical media altogether. There seems to be a large faction here that that wants BD to die. This board also had a high number of HD DVD fans.

We can debate the merits of physical vs non physical libraries. The reality is if the hard media option completely goes away the control completely goes to the content providers and services. IOW, what studios have wanted for years... The DIVX pay for every play model.

Go ahead do it Hollywood. I spend a large portion of my disposable income on BDs and if the ownership model goes away they can bet their bottom dollar I will spend a lot less. Might lose my interest completely.

It's the hard core collectors that keep the revenue stream going for the the home media market. They will be leaving a lot of money on the floor if they tick off their core market.

post #218 of 232 Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Looking forward to it.

Here it is, this time I'm doing something a bit different: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474847/star-trek-ii-the-wrath-of-khan-blu-ray-vs-online-vs-dvd-vs-vhs

post #219 of 232 Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

I can understand what you are saying. However, I am sorry to say that in a few years streaming will be the way movies and music and games will be delivered to consumers. Please do not use the argument that the bandwidth needs to catch up.
imagic likes this.
post #220 of 232 Old 06-10-2013, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 130
The future is data -capped. Nobody wants to pay for infrastructure. Death of physical media is a construct of the mainstream press who know nothing about electronics. As 4k approaches streaming is not a viable solution for a really long time.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #221 of 232 Old 06-10-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

The future is data -capped. Nobody wants to pay for infrastructure. Death of physical media is a construct of the mainstream press who know nothing about electronics. As 4k approaches streaming is not a viable solution for a really long time.

The press can only report on trends and numbers—streaming is overtaking physical media as we speak. We are still in the "golden era" of discs; however 2160p streaming as a "viable solution" is less than a year away. Mass adoption will take a few more years, but not "a really long time." Infrastructure is being built every day, Google seems to have zero issues with paying for it. Furthermore, my connection can already support 2160p streaming.

post #222 of 232 Old 06-11-2013, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

My 300Mbps connection most certainly will.

I plan on streaming 2160P as soon as it is available.
post #223 of 232 Old 06-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Rented The Great and powerful Oz on ITunes.

Amazing video quality. The newer titles just get better and very close to BD quality. I am done officially with BD and Optical Media.
post #224 of 232 Old 06-12-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

The thing that gets me with people like you is you think that it's only your opinion that matters.

Did you just see how the gaming community just essentially gave MS the finger regarding a restrictive use model? The reason that I like the physical disc is the same reason gamers like the open game disc. If I want to sell a title I own, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever then it's my choice.

None of the streaming services offer those features. And as for the streaming market growing lets be realistic the largest growth in the area is from NetFlix. If you expect to get a large list of A-list content you will be paying a heck of a lot more than $7.99/mo.

post #225 of 232 Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

If you read my posts my opinion is just that. I have been on both sides of this discussion. If MICROSOFT is moving towards a new mode for distributing content like steam and blizzard and Netflix and iTunes and all the broadcast provider. Then I will follow.

I will not be buying optical media period.
post #226 of 232 Old 06-13-2013, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

The thing that gets me with people like you is you think that it's only your opinion that matters.

Did you just see how the gaming community just essentially gave MS the finger regarding a restrictive use model? The reason that I like the physical disc is the same reason gamers like the open game disc. If I want to sell a title I own, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever then it's my choice.

None of the streaming services offer those features. And as for the streaming market growing lets be realistic the largest growth in the area is from NetFlix. If you expect to get a large list of A-list content you will be paying a heck of a lot more than $7.99/mo.

I'll say this: I just bought "House of Cards" season one on Blu-ray, for my next comparison. It really put Netflix to shame, as far as the quality goes. I saw the audience reaction to Sony and Microsoft, and I have a great deal of respect for Sony. That was a defining moment—quite literally—in the history of physical media. Region free, untethered and unrestricted disc-based entertainment is still alive and kicking.

If anything, I think the PS3 will stick around for another decade, continuing its run as the #1 Netflix device and Blu-ray player—and that it'll be supplemented by the PS4.

Trend-wise, streaming and download will continue to grow in popularity and quality but I have recently taken steps to understand the limitations imposed by slower internet speeds. It's clear that far too many people would be excluded in a streaming-only world.

In car analogy terms, going all-streaming in the short-term would be as if the worlds went all-electric tomorrow, with no consideration for the lack of charging stations or the existing industry for gas-powered vehicles. It think that's the most apt analogy of all, and I think we can all rest assured that gas-powered vehicles will still be around on the day we die.

Someday soon, all the fastest sports cars will be all-electric. There will be electric car races. Every family will own an electric minivan. And yet gas-powered cars will exist—if only because the whole world won't be able to adapt at the same rate as California. So it is with physical media vs. streaming.

post #227 of 232 Old 06-13-2013, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

I think you all are in denial. Streaming will overtake optical disk withing a year or two and consoles for gaming will fail miserably . I do not see PS4 or XBOX ONE doing well at all.

Who in this economy will spend 500 to 700 hundred dollars on a gaming console?

Yes you will have optical disks on your shelves and in bargain bins in the few brick and mortar stores that survive the Internet distribution model.

Cloud computing is taking off, desktop PC's are dying and the new trend is mobile devices. With all the people usuing mobile devices like IPAD and smartphones, developers will be developing apps to capture this market.

Did anyone see the WWDC from Apple?

I have enjoyed this conversation and thanks for all the reply's.

take care and see you in the future!

smile.gif
post #228 of 232 Old 06-13-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

I think you all are in denial. Streaming will overtake optical disk withing a year or two and consoles for gaming will fail miserably . I do not see PS4 or XBOX ONE doing well at all.

Yes you will have optical disks on your shelves and in bargain bins in the few brick and mortar stores that survive the Internet distribution model.

Cloud computing is taking off, desktop PC's are dying and the new trend is mobile devices. With all the people usuing mobile devices like IPAD and smartphones, developers will be developing apps to capture this market.

smile.gif

I'm not in denial, I've watched the trends and I absolutely see online delivery overtaking optical media—but on a realistic timetable, not on the rapid timetable I though might be possible, before thinking about all the obstacles the naysayers keep bringing up. Some of their points about availability of bandwidth are quite valid. A Blu-ray player now costs $40 and older movies on Blu-ray are $5-$10, that alone guarantees they will be around for a little while longer.

I've seen tremendous interest in next-generation video game consoles. The economy is improving and people are still hungry for high-performance gaming. It's not as if PS3 and Xbox 360 users are going to abandon console gaming.

post #229 of 232 Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I know the HD DVD group and BD association tended to count freebies as units sold. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if some of the services like iTunes are counting freebie Digital Copy pack-ins as sold units to make their numbers look better.

Just because the industry wants us to move to a disc-less model doesn't mean I am going to be a mindless lemming and follow their wishes. If they want my money they better keep supporting a model that gives their customers some power.

post #230 of 232 Old 12-10-2013, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Blu Ray will give you the best picture and audio quality - period.

You can also use certain free programs to transcode your Blu Ray into smaller files and maintain pretty decent picture and video quality.

iTunes movies are nice because they are a small file size and you can watch them on your iPad, iPods, etc. But all your content is stored in the cloud. If iTunes decides to stop letting you re-download previous purchases... You can only watch them on authorized iDevices... With a disc, you have a physical copy. Same reason for buying CD's instead of buying MP3's and AAC's on Amazon or iTunes.
post #231 of 232 Old 02-20-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15

So, is there a consensus on which service offers the highest quality video and sound for large screen HT's (110"+)?  Obviously, physical media is my first choice but for those times I chose to stream a classic or something else, which service should I use?

post #232 of 232 Old 02-20-2014, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

smile.gif

I respectfully disagree. "They" said the same thing about vinyl records and CDs, yet they are still being made and sold. Also, I doubt that many people will hop on board given the restrictive DRM schemes and the way companies try to control content. (For example, I can pop a DVD in a DVD player anywhere, whereas an iTunes movie can only be viewed on an authorized iDevice - and I doubt the MPAA will allow content to be sold there DRM free like music is).
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Vudu Xl Hd Video Download Box , Playstation 3 160gb System , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page