A Comparison of Skyfall on iTunes, Vudu, and Blu-ray - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 247 Old 04-14-2015, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
Is there any online store where one can buy this video content and watch it locally either on a computer running VLC, or on a WDTV Live?
No. Right now, it is pretty much all streaming. I am waiting to see if Kaleidescape can successfully negotiate deals with the last two UV studios and with Disney. If they do, I will probably buy into their Alto product line, which provides full Blu-Ray quality downloads.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 247 Old 04-14-2015, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
Is there any online store where one can buy this video content and watch it locally either on a computer running VLC, or on a WDTV Live?
Yes and No. Click here for a PDF on downloading and playing VUDU (and some UV) movies.

Just beware: you will need a VUDU app installed on your computer, AFAIK it is the only way to playback the download. The playback quality sucks. Takes much longer to download than to stream . Places the download on the C drive, does not give you an option to place somewhere else . All in all, a big fail.

UV has been promising CFF with complete interoperability for years yet I do not know of a single piece of hardware or software that supports it. Another big fail.
post #243 of 247 Old 04-19-2015, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
As of today UHD/4K HDR Vudu is a (forthcoming) reality so I have to choose my final 1080p BT.709 comparisons carefully.
How about including different 4K streams (Netflix/Amazon/Vudu) to compare with Blu-Ray?

I also wonder about the quality of UltraViolet (1080).
post #244 of 247 Old 04-20-2015, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Yes and No. Click here for a PDF on downloading and playing VUDU (and some UV) movies.

Just beware: you will need a VUDU app installed on your computer, AFAIK it is the only way to playback the download. The playback quality sucks. Takes much longer to download than to stream . Places the download on the C drive, does not give you an option to place somewhere else . All in all, a big fail.

UV has been promising CFF with complete interoperability for years yet I do not know of a single piece of hardware or software that supports it. Another big fail.
Last I heard, CFF was going to launch with 4K and that the download version of the movie would be at a much higher bit-rate. We shall see, I suppose. I am not holding my breath at this point. If Kaleidescape can get Disney DMA and the final two UV studios on board, I will likely just buy into the next generation of their Alto product and be done with it. I have been working steadily to get all of the content I really care about on UV/DMA and the rest ripped to my NAS. I realized awhile ago that storing a large library of uncompressed Blu-Rays on a NAS was going to be cost-prohibitive and that is only going to get worse with 4K. The beauty of what Kaleidescape has done is create a solution where I can have all of the convenience and flexibility of being able to access my entire library anywhere via Vudu while still being able to have any 100 movies at a time in bit-perfect Blu-Ray quality. That substantially reduces local storage requirements will supporting unlimited library growth and that looks like the best of both worlds to me.

Scott
post #245 of 247 Old 04-20-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
Last I heard, CFF was going to launch with 4K
That makes no sense at all, they have not got it off the ground with 1080 so why would anyone believe they will do it for 2160 (UHD)?
post #246 of 247 Old 04-26-2015, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

I'm just sick of DRM.
post #247 of 247 Old 04-27-2015, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
If Kaleidescape can get Disney DMA and the final two UV studios on board, I will likely just buy into the next generation of their Alto product and be done with it. I have been working steadily to get all of the content I really care about on UV/DMA and the rest ripped to my NAS. I realized awhile ago that storing a large library of uncompressed Blu-Rays on a NAS was going to be cost-prohibitive and that is only going to get worse with 4K. The beauty of what Kaleidescape has done is create a solution where I can have all of the convenience and flexibility of being able to access my entire library anywhere via Vudu while still being able to have any 100 movies at a time in bit-perfect Blu-Ray quality. That substantially reduces local storage requirements will supporting unlimited library growth and that looks like the best of both worlds to me.
That's where I'm at as well. I have a 20TB usable server that's nearly full (7 drives with 1 being parity). It's built into my gaming PC though. If I'm going to continue this route, I need to add storage and would prefer to move the files to a Synology vs. the custom PC so I can dedicate it just to gaming.

6TB HDs are $250+ each still. An 8 bay Syno is $1k or a 12 bay for $1700. It all quickly approaches the price of an Alto. Plus I'm terrified to lose the array. I will never reinvest the time to rerip and reconfigure my media like this again if it fails. Who knows if, how, and when we will even be able to rip and serve UHD content anyway. I have very low expectations on that front.

Kaleidescape can just win so easily if they get studios, have a roadmap to UHD, and get their price down. I really don't want shelves or boxes of discs in my house, want the convenience of cloud access, but want to retain the best quality. Unfortunately, it's been like 6 months now since their last announcements and nothing new has come out of K.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Vudu Xl Hd Video Download Box , Playstation 3 160gb System , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page