Hardware to watch Movies on external HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-16-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

I set up a NAS to stream music to my Sonos around my house. I also now started to put movies on the NAS (.mp4 format), but watching them wireless on my Blu-Ray player doesn't work that well. I now keep a bunch of movies I want to watch on an external hard drive connected to the DVD player over USB.

That works great, except I can't get subtitles to work. Usually not a big deal except for the few moments when someone is speaking in a foreign language and your missing something important. I come to realize that the problem must be with my DVD player. I tried .mp4, regular VOBs, mpg, and .mkv to no avail. The same files do show subtitles when I play them on my PC.

So I was going to get a Roku or WD Live player for the purpose of watching movies on an external hard drive, and once in a while stream Netflix. These devices are now cheap enough. I'll also going to see if I can get power line adapters to work (eventually). I was wondering if a Roku or WD Live would be my best option as I have read that dedicated hardware works better than the decoders found on DVD players to play various file formats.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-18-2013, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the WD live hub, which has a built in hard drive and it works with the temporary subtitles. I also ran ethernet to it for network streaming, but I generally put my highest quality rips on the hub and play it from there. I really wouldn't recommend powerline adapters or wireless, they both tend to be more trouble than they are worth, and even if the conditions are perfect, 1080p streaming is still a problem. If there is any interference with a noisy appliance on the powerline or neighbors interfering with wireless devices, then your throughput goes down and it gets jittery. If you don't want to run ethernet, then stick to external hard drive, or a flash drive, or get the hub because of the built in hard drive and transfer files to it over wireless.

If you can, run ethernet because it really is worth it.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page