DLNA Streamer VS Bluray w/ DLNA VS HTPC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im still a Network Noob, but can ya run/setup DLNA without UPnP? I want to avoid using UPnP on my whole network.

I wont be building my first NAS Server till fall, will be using a shared hdd for now.

Since I will be building a FreeNAS server later on, I dont wont to to buy hardware twice, what ever I go with now, I will use with the NSA Server later.

"So, DLNA Streamer VS Bluray w/ DLNA VS HTPC?"

And if I go HTPC, would this work ?

http://www.mini-box.com/Intel-DN2800MT-Mini-ITX-Motherboard

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dn2800mt.html

Also, can I use my Nexus7 as a remote/keyboard for win7 media center?
KS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What you should choose depends on what you want to accomplish. We need more info:

1. What type of media files/resolution/number of audio channels/formats do you want to play?
2. What audio/video equipment do you have?
3. Single or multiple room?
4. Amount of media stored?
5. Local media or internet or both?
6. How much administrative overhead are you willing to live with?
7. How much time are you willing to devote to this?
8. Optimize for stability, looks, features?
9. Are you wanting to use this for home automation/DVR/Live TV viewing?
10. Will you be expanding your hardware/software/library?
post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for being thorough!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Im open to any codec, at least half of the collection (havent purchied the DVD/Blurays yet) 4:3 older TV shows.

That said, two of the TV series Im wanting are remasterd 4:3 480i broadcast shows:

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/star-trek-the-next-generation-looks-stunning-after-remaster-for-blu-ray-20120229/

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Generation-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B0083TUEHY/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_text_y

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Original-Remastered-Edition/dp/B000VDDDY6

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just a 120Hz LED TV, and looking at a sound bar. (Ill prob try and keep everything, even audio HDMI

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Single room

Im looking at building a 20TB or bigger FreeNAS(DLNA) server, later this fall.

Id like to keep it local, and no internet streaming. But we dont get(out in the sticks) Broadcast TV "AIR" and giving up the Cable, going to Uverse internet (no cable TV). But Im looking at buying/downloading a few current TV show off of Amazon, a few shows monthly, but was told ya need the Amazon player? Dont know how'd that work, if Im wanting shows stored on the DLNA/FreeNAS server?

But at the ATM, Ill be sharing my main system storage hdd for media.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Not sure, as long as the wife and kids can easily play shows or movies, when Im not home.

Ill have all summer, no summer classes.

Reliable, simple, setup once and be done.

No live TV, as of yet. And will be using the (later on) FreeNas server for media, files and backups.

Will be adding the FreeNas server later on, like Ive said, sorry for repeating myself, Im a deatil Freak...

Current setup:( I wont be using any UPnP)

System(shared hdd)_NIC
Nexus7_WiFi
ATT Microcell
Two,Phones_WiFi
DLNA(without UPnP) Streamer or HTPC (no UPnP)
(later this fall 2013) FreeNas Server
(later on) I might add a Laptop to the mix, and maybe a 2nd tablet

Will be using the TV( HTPC or Streamer)for shows and movies, prob wont ever use the systems, tablets and Laptop, to watch stored media, just youtube, over the internet.....

Did I miss anything?

KS
post #4 of 6 Old 02-19-2013, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 45
No UPnP doesn't make any sense unless you have some obscure router with a vulnerability in it, in which case your better off replacing the router. DLNA is based off the UPnP standard which is why they are compatible with each other.

If you want to avoid UPnP/DLNA entirely but still have control via smartphone/tablet then XBMC or Plex are your best options.

XBMC remotes will display the media library and file sources as scanned by XBMC, Plex will display the media library scanned by the Plex server and Plex Android client can act as remote to some Plex clients.

You can use XBMC linux distros like XBMCbuntu or Openelec to give you an XBMC only platform on a PC or get XBMC set top box the Pivos XIOS DS.

Plex media center can run on PC's with Windows or OSX (I think there is a linux version) and you can get Plex clients on Roku and GoogleTV set top boxes.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Whoa!

Sounds like Ill give the Roku a try:

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-XD-Streaming-Player-1080p/dp/B005CLPP8E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1361318108&sr=8-4&keywords=Roku

OR

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-2500R-HD-Streaming-Player/dp/B007KEZMX4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1361318108&sr=8-3&keywords=Roku

Wife has 3 or 4 shows, dont recall ATM, that we'll start getting from Amazon. And where we're cutting the Cable TV and cant get AIR channels ATM. Amazon is our next best thing for current shows.

After we get the ATT Uverse, and see what the latency is like, I might try internet streaming again. We couldnd stream Amazon videos with are soon to be former Cable ISP.

Haha, this works:
http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/199/twit
post #6 of 6 Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Why even consider anything with a DNLA server? I have 4 streamers in 4 rooms and have dozens of movies and simply use network shares. Same for my music content. I want NOTHING to do with DNLA.

i have a few Roku 2 XS units and a few WD streamers and a Seagate model too. Roku by far has the most viewing options, but sucks at playing local content, though it can be done with MyMedia setup on the host computer. WD units do a great job at playing local content, plus they have the main streaming channels most people would want so if you are buying one item I'd opt for the latest WD SMP player.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page