Simple movie storage for TV playback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-20-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm looking for some advice on how to store and play my fairly small DVD and Bluray disc collection on a unit for the TV on our RV 5th wheel trailer.

Right now have about 50 DVDs and 15 BR disc, with the hope to increase that up to double. Simply to be able to leave the disc collection at home and pull the movies off the hard drive in the unit to be played on a smallish (26"-40") TV and basic stereo or 5.1 audio system, via HDMI. Also will load all my FLAC music files on the HD.

Will the WD TV Live Hub do this, with the proper file conversion, or do I need to up to the Dune unit or something else, due to the blurays? Not into the particulars yet, hoped that the folks here can steer me to the right unit, then I can do all the necessary work to make it happen.

Edit: went ahead an ordered one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Arrival-KDLINKS-HD700-Extreme-Built-In/dp/B008CBQSKU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The KDLINKS HD700 Extreme is a very interesting media player that I haven't heard of. I am looking for a media player with the same requirements, to be able to play DVD collection from Hard Drive. I was considering a WD TV Live. this KDLINKS HD700 Extreme looks like it would be a better option.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-25-2013, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveRon View Post

The KDLINKS HD700 Extreme is a very interesting media player that I haven't heard of. I am looking for a media player with the same requirements, to be able to play DVD collection from Hard Drive. I was considering a WD TV Live. this KDLINKS HD700 Extreme looks like it would be a better option.

I am in the same boot, too, and was about to purchase the WD Live. This seems more powerful.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-25-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I played around with it yesterday, don't have any dvds ripped yet, but downloaded some videos from the internet on to a thumbdrive. Picture looked good. Surfed the net (PITA with a remote control rolleyes.gif) but that did work via my local home wireless network.

As someone said in an earlier review, the special apps are pretty useless, although I did get the you tube to work ok. Also I installed the latest firmware from the KDLinks web site, which adds different wallpaper options, pretty nice looking ones. Just getting started with this thing.

Someone who own one of these and is knowledgeable with the ins and outs (not yours truly) should start an "official" thread. smile.gif
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page