post #1 of 3 Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
EVT
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi guys,

I can't seem to access my Windows 8 PC via SMB from my Dune media player directly (or any other media player for that matter) - if I map a specific location on my media player it does work. However, I did not have this problem under Windows 7 - is there a particular setting I have to change? (I know it isn't a sharing). I know in windows 7 I had to uninstall windows live login assistant for it to work properly - is there something along those lines in windows 8?

Although I don't generally stream from my PC as I have a server for that but sometimes I need to access the odd file and would like to have the functionality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 47
There's an app called Windows share manager try that out and see if it works. If Dune asks for username password use your Win8 admin account details.

The Live framework is built into Win8 OS it cant be removed, but Dune should have fixed that samba bug by now so I doubt thats the source of the problem.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
EVT
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

There's an app called Windows share manager try that out and see if it works. If Dune asks for username password use your Win8 admin account details.

The Live framework is built into Win8 OS it cant be removed, but Dune should have fixed that samba bug by now so I doubt thats the source of the problem.

Thanks, I'll give the app a shot. I think whomever was responsible for that bug in Win 7 addressed it as I didn't have to remove that for the last little while I had Windows 7 - prior to that WIndows 7 would automatically reinstall it on a periodic basis and I would have to uninstall it.

The Dune doesn't ask for anything unless you try to setup a manual share by entering in the name of the PC and the relevant folder - this process works for me without entering any user name and password as the folders are shared with everyone. The problem is that when I try to use the Dune's network navigator and I navigate to my PC it just shows up as empty - an issue I didn't have with Windows 7 and an issue I've never had with my WHS.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming