looking for a way to control tv via pc/laptop - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to control my lg tv via laptop.

I have a samsung in the living room and i use the allshare app to control it. I like how I can select and play the files from my laptop instead of using the TV's interface like serviio and other server apps.

is there another application other than allshare or a settop box I can buy to get the TVs to work the way I want?

Allshare only works for Samsung TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-21-2013, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The LG is a DLNA DMR (digital media renderer) if it's one of the newer models, you might have to activate the feature in the settings.

The problem with Allshare is it's a hacked version of DLNA designed to only work with Samsung's version of it. DLNA digital media controllers (the actual term) for PC's are rare and don't work very well.

The easiest way is to have Windows 8 or 7 on your PC and use the Windows Play To feature which is a DLNA DMC to DLNA DMR so you can plays files that way to the LG TV however only media compatible with Windows media player will work with this feature so other files wont e.g mkv

The latest nightly builds of XBMC have UPnP Play To feature you must activate it in the UPnP settings of XBMC then right click on a file and select the player but it's very unstable.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page