Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My current set up-
A HTPC (windows 7) connected to a Apple extreme wifi router by ethernet cable. All movies are stored on the HTPC and are in various formats (AVI, MVK, MP4, VOB, ISO) Currently only my theater is able to view the movies using XBMC or by using a media player. I add movies on a weekly basis to the library.

What I want- -
I want the other two TVs in the house to be able to wirelessly access the movie library that is currently on the HTPC. I like XBMC however that isn’t a requirement and there isn’t a current need to stream from any online providers for content. FWIW the tvs are all within strong coverage of the WIFI.

My current limitations-
My lack of knowledge is my biggest limitation. I am open to buying two devices like Apple TV however I don’t want to use iTunes to manage my movie files. If a store bought device won’t handle what I want then I am willing to research and learn if someone can point me in the right direction. I have heard the terms NAS, RAID, SERVER, home network and more but I really don’t understand what they mean.

If I need to provide more info please let me know.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The two devices I have found that may work are the WD TV live and the VIZIO Co Star...

Thoughts?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
WDTV Live would be the easiest way, FYI even with strong wireless signal thats no guarantee of good performance. If you do run into performance problems reading SMB/NFS network shares over wireless then the best way to stream over wireless is using a UPnP/DLNA server. XBMC has a built in UPnP server that will give you access to it's media library although it only works with media you have scanned into the library and ISO may not work on the WDTV through UPnP/DLNA.

You can also get XBMC boxes like the Pivos XIOS DS that can run XBMC under Android.