Hardwear advice for NAS system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hope I posted in right place. I am fairly new but eager to set up a home network for streaming movie content via NAS system. I have an idea of the hardwear I want to get, but am hestitant as I am not sure what works with what. I am looking at getting synology Ds213+ diskless system (Raid 1) two 3tb WD red drives and WD live to stream content to Samsung TV. I may also want to stream to IPad. I am currently using AnyDVDHD as my software to rip DVD's to Video_TS , and BD files to ISO.I am pretty sure WD live will recognize file system on NAS drive, and efficiently play ISO, VOB and Video_Ts files. Am I correct on all this? Or totally lost! Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance to all who can help me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-23-2013, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
it should be live most media players as far as set up(i don't have the WD tv Live i have Dune media players) Once you set up the WD tv you should be able to set the synology up by either smb or nfs. My Dunes are set up in my Synology 1812 thru nfs links to each of the dunes ip. As far as media compatability someoe else with this device will have to chime in on what does and doesn't work.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-23-2013, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The iPad will not play VIDEO_TS/ISO only the WDTV Live can through SMB or NFS network shares not through DLNA.

Use VOB2MPG or MakeMKV on the DVD's which extracts movie from disc and copies into mpg or mkv container, then you can play them through the via Airplayer on iOS app store & of course the WDTV Live (DLNA Samsung media player too).
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page