Media Streaming software for Windows Storage Server 2008 R2? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 02-24-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to set up a WD DX4000 (12 TB) server as a storage and media server. This device runs Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 as its operating system.

It is connected via Ethernet to several media devices including a PS3, Roku 2, Popcorn Hour A-300 and a Denon AVR 4308 receiver.

The media sharing software that came installed in the WD DX4000 is not recognized by the Denon AVR. The symptom is that you can see the server, but if you click on it, you cannot open it up to see any files inside.
(The same Denon AVR successfully plays all supported file types that are streamed from an old HP Server (EX487) running WHS and some old streaming software - PV Connect. But I need to retire that server, which is sick.)

I have tried installing several other streaming software apps, but have problems with all of them. Each of these was tested independently, after uninstalling all others so that no two were running at once.
1. Serviio - the best so far, works well with the Sony PS3, but has known incompatibility with the Denon AVR.
2. XBMC - It does not seem to install well. If I try to run it, I get a black screen.
3. PS3 Media server - this appears to install well, but when I run it, it cannot detect the PS3 device (or any other device for that matter) that is clearly on the network. (The PS3 is ok on the network because it played files from the Serviio and it can also play files from the old WHS HPSERVER)

I am at a loss. frown.gif Does anyone have a recommendation for media streaming software that works well on the Windows Storage Server 2008 operating system?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page