Putting together/setting up a media server. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-24-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking into purchasing a NAS to store all my digital content, since my PS3 is running out of space and starting to show its limitations.

The question I have is regarding setting up a NAS. As of right now, I have my eye on the Synology DS213. I would like to use Plex as my media center software. I just do not know how. Do I place the software directly onto the server, or do I need another device to do so? In addition I would prefer not to run the server wirelessly. I much rather plug it into my TV directly. If I were to pair it with a set top box such as a WD media player or something else you could suggest, could I just stream all of my media servers content through the box? Would that even work if I have 6TB's worth of storage? If that does not work, what if I get a Mac Mini (getting kinda expensive), could I just link the server with the Mac via USB and acces the server that way?

PS: if there is no set top box that supports plex, a equivilant software solution would be fine with me as well. I just like how Plex adds all that info to media files.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
There are a few conditions in making this work
1) Plex on Synology cannot transcode video so all video must be natively supported.
2) A Roku or GoogleTV device is the way to get a Plex client, the Roku only supports H.264/mp4 or H.264/mkv video, the GoogleTV supports a few more types.
3) The Arm CPU's in NAS are very slow, Plex is a very CPU intensive application so Plex on these NAS wont be super fast there will be a small delay loading the library.

To install Plex on Synology you download the latest version from Plex website and install on the Synology, it's really straight forward, you just go to package center and select manual install and point it at the file.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page