Network Streaming Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about to buy a WD Live to stream movies from my NAS. Unfortunately I don't have any Ethernet connections in my house or the ability to run wires. I tested my network speed from the location of the TV to the router using both wireless and power line adapters. With wireless I get a read speed of 10 Mbps, with powerline adapters about 28 Mbps.

Is this enough to stream DVD or HD content? Is it fast enough to be able to fast forward the content or do any other trick play?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Should be okay with DVD and compresed HD video (not raw Blu-ray) over powerline, unsure about wireless.

Ideally you should use a DLNA server if available on your NAS to stream over wireless or poweline for best performance but this means no DVD support unless you extract the video from the DVD via something like MakeMKV.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 AM

Liked: 12
Lots of people have problems streaming blu rays over wireless. DVDs will probably work. I wouldn't recommend it, unless the wireless router is close by. Some people are ok streaming up to 720p but have problems streaming 1080p. This is obviously dependent on the quality of the rip and other factors, like wireless interference. Powerline is better, but some people still have problems with things such as noisy appliances reducing the bitrate.

My advice is to get a large flash drive or external hard drive, and play it over usb instead of wireless or powerline. Or, get a WD live hub and copy movies to it before you watch.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:55 PM

Liked: 10
I used the netgear moca devices. though i don't think netgear makes them any more.. Which is sad, cause i had one that broke on me. I been using them for about 2 years and been happy with them.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
My house (I rent) didn't have any ethernet hookups. I talked to my landlord, and he let me wire his house since I had a 800 feet of cat5e cable that I got for free from the comcast guy.biggrin.gif Wireless doesn't work very well when streaming high bitrate BD movies. I even test power line, and that didn't work for me either.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Old 03-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Obviously wired Gigabit Ethernet is the best option, then Fast Ethernet, then MoCA, then Powerline, then wireless. Wireless is a great option for mobile devices but it really sucks for media streaming. If you get a high quality wireless N router it can help. I have a media server connected to my Actiontec MI424WR rev i that streams Blu-ray over wireless to my Roku via Plex pretty well. The issue is when I try to pause or fast forward it goes into some black hole and I have to restart everything. I'm too lazy to wire my house with ethernet so I went the MoCA route and it has been working really well.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition