[HOW-TO] Roll your own Synology DiskStation for NAS - UPDATE 5/28/2013 DSM 4.2-3211 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 368 Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just so happen to have both a 3ware 9650se 4port internal and a LSI/3ware 9750 4port internal raid controller. I'm doing the install on a Supermicro X7spa D525 atom board with 4x 3tb drives.

I can get Synology OS to install and work properly using the onboard SATA ports; however, I am unable to do it using either raid controllers. Normally I would accept it as unsupported...except in this case it was listed under supported hardware (3ware 9xxx SATA RAID, 97xx SAS SATA RAID). Is there a trick to doing the install? It keeps failing on step #2 after selecting the *.pat file.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 368 Old 08-14-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclops-1 View Post

I just so happen to have both a 3ware 9650se 4port internal and a LSI/3ware 9750 4port internal raid controller. I'm doing the install on a Supermicro X7spa D525 atom board with 4x 3tb drives.

I can get Synology OS to install and work properly using the onboard SATA ports; however, I am unable to do it using either raid controllers. Normally I would accept it as unsupported...except in this case it was listed under supported hardware (3ware 9xxx SATA RAID, 97xx SAS SATA RAID). Is there a trick to doing the install? It keeps failing on step #2 after selecting the *.pat file.
I'd guess that the files you're using haven't been compiled with the 3ware or LSI drivers. You'll need to check out the xpenology website to see if anyone has integrated them in or you'll have to compile your own version.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #273 of 368 Old 08-16-2013, 09:28 AM

I've just installed 4.1 on an old Abit I-G31 I had lying around... It wouldn't boot with any usb stick for some reason, so I did a dd copy of the stick to an old 80GB PATA hard drive I had lying around and booted from that.

It then did the grub error 22 after the first bit of the install/reboot and I got round that by doing ANOTHER dd copy (quickly!) from the USB stick before the timer ran down.

It's now running wonderfully!

Thanks for the guide and hope this helps someone stuck in the same situation.
post #274 of 368 Old 08-18-2013, 03:46 AM

Hi,
I'm having problems with the install... What I've tried so far :
- creating the usb stick with the .img is ok
- booting from the usb stick until I get the message "findhostd uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)". No more messages after this one. Here I disconnect the usb stick.
- the Assistant finds my DiskStation and I can do the install, choosing the .pat file (trying the 3211 version fails on the install). I give a admin password and I decheck the SHR volume creation (I just need a JBOD). Confirming the IP settings.
- the install itself : saving network settings : ok, formatting system partition : ok, formatting data partiton : not done, installing DSM : ok, rebooting : ok
- Now I power-off the machine, reinsert the usb stick and restart : ok.
- the Assistant continues with the writing of the config files : 100% ok. I can now connect to the DiskStation.

From here I can access the DiskStation and use it without any problem. But, a reboot from the usb stick fails with an error 17 from Grub. A reboot without the stick : system hangs after bios messages, no boot system found.

So as long as I don't reboot the system, I can access it and do everything. But a reboot doesn't work.

My system : Dell Optiplex gx620 with a 80G and a 900G drive.

What do I do wrong or how does my system survives a reboot ?
Thanks for any hints/clues !
post #275 of 368 Old 08-18-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdaddict View Post

What do I do wrong or how does my system survives a reboot ?
Thanks for any hints/clues !
You need to have a USB stick or card that can be locked. For some reason the boot image gets changed or corrupted. If you get a card that locks, it should survive after a reboot.

post #276 of 368 Old 08-18-2013, 09:09 AM

Used USB Write Protect (http://www.nareshmdr.com.np/) to write protect the usb stick, but the result is the same : after the reboot just a blinking cursur... :-(
I'll leave the stick in to boot, and the server comes up. So I think I will have to leave it there.
post #277 of 368 Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdaddict View Post

Used USB Write Protect (http://www.nareshmdr.com.np/) to write protect the usb stick, but the result is the same : after the reboot just a blinking cursur... :-(
I'll leave the stick in to boot, and the server comes up. So I think I will have to leave it there.
I didn't download that program myself, but just looking at it, it doesn't actually write protect the USB stick, unless it's running. A good way to test this would be to plug the USB key into a different PC and try to modify the files. I'm guessing it would still work as I don't think you can software protect a USB stick.

post #278 of 368 Old 08-22-2013, 09:11 AM

This is pretty awesome... I'm running DSM 4.2-3211 x64 on a HP Proliant Microserver G7 N54L with 4GB of ram, TP-Link TG-3468 (Realtek) Gigabit PCI Express Network Adapter and six Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM000 4 TB 5900rpm drives off the built-in SATA ports and the 1 eSATA. Two drives are installed into a Nexus DoubleTwin rails and then put into the optical drive bay. I am using the modified BIOS to unlock the ODD sata port to support a hard disk and a eSATA to SATA cable. The only issue I had was that I could not use Port 5 (eSATA) in Storage Manager to create a volume until I modified the /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf to recognize the eSATA port as internal.

Here's what I changed for the following values:
Code:
esataportconfig="0x00000"
internalportcfg="0xff"

With that change I could create a 6-disk array. I didn't use SHR because there's a slight performance hit compared to RAID-5 and I don't plan to grow the disks above 4TB each.
post #279 of 368 Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclops-1 View Post

Try this build...
http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1028
post #280 of 368 Old 08-25-2013, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedo View Post

Try this build...
http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1028

I wanted to share my thoughts on testing out this build.

Hardware:

Supermicro X8DA6 Motherboard
Supermicro 7046A-6 Case with Hotswap Backplane
Integrated LSI 6Gbps SAS 2008 Controller with IR firmware
8GB ECC RAM
Xeon 5600 Series CPU
16GB SSD for the system drive
7 X 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA HD

Install:

For the install, I followed the guide on post #11 here:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18528018

The install failed every time until I did the following:
  • pulled the Seagates from the drive bays
  • added the 16GB SSD connected to SATA port 1 on the motherboard.

Once I did that I was able to select the SSD for the system drive and the install went smoothly.

After the reboot I setup a drive volume and started adding apps. Some notes on the apps:

Dyndns - Works fine
Plex - Transcoded 1:1 Bluray rip of Atonement to my Nook HD+ and Android phone just fine. Transcoding was FAST - almost no delay in starting the movie or resuming on either device
Cloudstation - Works with a caveat. Because you don't have a Synology serial number, quickconnect doesn't work so you have to forward port 6690 on your firewall to get external access. I was able to test the following apps on my android phone:

DS Photo
DS Video
DS Cloud
DS File

All were able to connect as long as I was on my cell network. DS Cloud is currently syncing a folder on my phone to the Synology.

Photo Station - Works fine, able to upload photos and browse with Chrome on my desktop
Audio Station - Sees the music I uploaded, but I can't play it with Audio Station or DS Audio - maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Data Replicator 3 - Backing up data right now, seems to be working as it should.

Yet to test:

Next weekend I'm going to move the MB to a 24 bay chassis that has an 8087 connector on the backplane instead of 24 SATA ports. I'm curious to see if all the drives are recognized.
Some third party apps like the Crashplan app.

Other:

I do not have a lockable USB drive, but I can reboot with the drive in place. I do have to rescan the System Volume after each reboot, but there's no issue with the actual reboot itself.

It's rather remarkable how stable this build is.

Looky here!
post #281 of 368 Old 08-27-2013, 07:46 AM

does any body know if it is possible and how to boot from a DOM instead of a usb stick
post #282 of 368 Old 08-27-2013, 11:40 AM

I am a total beginner to trying to install DSM on a pc...

Does anyone know if there is an exhaustive list of supported hardware somewhere?
What is critical? MB, CPU, sATA controller, network cards?
What is not critical? RAM, HDDs, Wifi, ...

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Best,
-a-

Is there a DSM4.3 build available yet? I know this may be a bit early wink.gif
post #283 of 368 Old 08-27-2013, 11:55 AM

Yeah, DSM 4.3 was released today. I bet it will be a few weeks before we see a version for the HP Microserver.
post #284 of 368 Old 09-02-2013, 11:02 AM

hi guys!
I´m new on this topic so forgive me if this question has already been asked,
I plan to replace my 713+ by a selfmade NAS. I love the DSM because of its simplicity and its functionalities.
My 713+ is just a litte bit to slow to live transcode for plex so my selfmade one should be more powerful. i3 or i5.

Is there any hardware recommendation in case I start from 0?

Musts:
- 5 sata III ports.
- WOL (via app)
- link aggregation
- sleep, energy savings
- balance between power and consumption

Nice to have:
- 4.3 compatibility (and future sw releases)
- enough power to use it for TV Headend/ DBV Link to transcode HD TV for DLNA clients

no other special requirement.
is all of that realistic?

thanks for your help!
kirk
post #285 of 368 Old 09-03-2013, 06:07 PM

Hi,
Could this lan chipset "Realtek RTL8111D" is support or not ?
post #286 of 368 Old 09-04-2013, 04:27 PM

HI, Thank you very much ! I can run it succefully ! But I can't use the newest version of pat file because it show error 21 when updating ! Could you help me how to do ?
post #287 of 368 Old 09-05-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson3848 View Post

HI, Thank you very much ! I can run it succefully ! But I can't use the newest version of pat file because it show error 21 when updating ! Could you help me how to do ?

You need to wait until a 4.3 build comes out for this version. You can't use the .pat from Synology for Synology hardware.
post #288 of 368 Old 09-08-2013, 01:08 AM

This is a great thread! I have a Synology DS411J however i decided to use an old PC to test this out.

Windows 7
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz
4GB DDR PC3200
2 x 1TB HDD

Seems to work like a dream so far however.....

I would like to use it wirelessly on my network (so that i can hide it away without any network cables). I have now installed a TP-Link TL-WDN4800 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?model=TL-WDN4800

I can connect wirelessly when booting up the PC in Windows 7, however when i try a fresh Synology install the Synology Assistant will only find it when i have the PC connect via a LAN cable to the ethernet port on the motherboard. I have changed all the settings for the wireless card to DHCP but still no success, it just isn't found on the network by the Synology Assistant..

Is it actually possible to install on a PC using a wifi card or has anyone manged to change to using wireless after an install?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
post #289 of 368 Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0c049 View Post

Is it actually possible to install on a PC using a wifi card or has anyone manged to change to using wireless after an install?
You need to get a build that has the wifi drivers loaded into them. As wifi is slower than wired, I doubt you'll find that someone has done this already and you will need to compile your own build. Check out xpenology.com for more info.

post #290 of 368 Old 09-08-2013, 01:57 PM

Possible to prevent Grub error 22 when using ESXi?
post #291 of 368 Old 09-08-2013, 02:32 PM

Thanks, will have a look there and see if i can figure out how to make my own build!?!?!? Probably beyond my limited capabilities.
post #292 of 368 Old 09-08-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokkes View Post

Possible to prevent Grub error 22 when using ESXi?
Check out xpenology.com - there is a ESXi for Dummies guide in the ESXi thread.

post #293 of 368 Old 09-08-2013, 11:40 PM

Just get a wireless bridge, you setup the bridge for your network through a computer first. Then you plug the Ethernet cable from the NAS to the bridge and your done, wireless connection achieved. Its very simpler and bridges are pretty cheap $40-$60. A lot of times they are referred to as gaming adapters too. Example of one in the below link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156307
post #294 of 368 Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 PM

Thanks PeteyTheStriker, don't know why i didn't think of that first! I've got a TP-Link WR702N kicking about which will let me try that method out although its probably a bit slow for data transfer.

Cheers
post #295 of 368 Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 AM

Hi,
We are running out of space on our existing system and need some advice on how to expand/rebuild. This is an archiving system for media files (200 MB and up mostly) with what I consider low to moderate but probably constant reads and very low writes (only when something new is added)

We currently have:
HP Proliant N40L
Build FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950)
Platform AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N40L Dual-Core Processor
Memory 1905MB
2x WD-WMC1 3TB hard drive
2x WD-WCA 3TB hard drive
Arranged in a single ZFS raid volume
FreeNAS 8 booting off of a 4GB USB thumbdrive

Because the ZFS RAID volume is not expandable we need to change it. We plan on copying off everything stored on the current RAID and rebuilding the entire system. Obviously as our data grows this will be impossible to do again as we won't have enough free space on existing drives to handle the amount of data.

What we want:
We want a system that we can add drives to, preferably different size drives as technology improves. We also would like to have some protection against drive failures (RAID 5 or 6 or similar). Yes, in a perfect world money would be no object and we'd be able to set up a mirrored system with full backups but that is not going to happen.

What we were thinking (the reason we're in this forum) is to use Synology DSM (from a USB stick) and create a SHR (Synology Hybrid Raid).
I figured we'd buy a controller card for expansion so we can add (for now) 4 more drives of 4 TB and add a 5th drive in the currently unused optical drive space with all 8 (or 9) disks probably with 2 disk redundancy. The new drives would be in an external tower as they can obviously not fit in the microserver.
What we need to know:
1. What kind of controller card should we use? Is there a limit to what DSM can support?
Never used a controller card before. Anything particular to consider in the installation, special cables or anything special for the tower we use?
2. How many drives can we add to our RAID (either single or double parity) before the risks become too great or we hit capacity limits of the N40L (Memory/CPU)? Obviously the more drives, the less percentage space used for parity which we like but where is the limit (for Raid 5 or 6 or similar)? When does one just say enough and create new RAID volumes or buy a new micro server?
Lots of new kinds of hard drives what would be suitable for this purpose? Obviously cost is very important as well but are the new NAS drives worth it?
3. Is it better to install the new 4TB drives internally or to the controller card or doesn't it matter?
4. Is there any difference using 2TB or 3TB drives together with 4TB is either of them better (besides more space)?
5. Can Synology DSM be installed to boot off of the USB thumb drive leaving the SATA disks free for storage?
6. Must all drives be added simultaneously and if not, if what ways can they be added?
7. I know that DSM itself cannot be automatically updated, but can the packages be updated?

Additional info:
We currently have a Synology DS411j with 4x2TB disks in a SHR volume using DSM3.2, so we are familiar with the basics of Synology and DSM, which is largely why I want to also use it on our Proliant microserver.

Thank you smile.gif
post #296 of 368 Old 09-12-2013, 04:57 AM

Let me chime in.
System with different drives size is not a good combo with hardware raid array controller. Your array will be limited to smaller drive size multiplied by number of drives.
Also I don't think DSM supports any of raid cards commonly used in Microserver - HP P410 or RocketRaid 2720SGL.
As I understood you are not planning to build new server but simply utilize N40L or get another one. In this scenario don't waste your money on array controllers or SAS cards but simply follow what DanielNTX done.
- Load hacked bios and unlock full sata speed on ODD port and eSATA.
- Add Nexus Double Twin bracket in 5.25'' bay and install two additional drives
- connect drive no.5 with eSATA port and drive no.6 with ODD connector
- load DSM and configure SHR if you are combining different size drives
- buy another Microserver and do similar
It's going be less expensive and more versatile than additional 6disk enclosure connected to N40L no.1
post #297 of 368 Old 09-13-2013, 01:37 PM

Liked: 13
I currently have a PC sitting in the basement running Win Server Essentials 2012, with a storage pool of 4 WD Green 2TB drives. For mother board, processor and memory, I have to double check when I get home tonight. (I know its an Intel board, I think its DG33TL, either a Q6600 or Q6700 CPU, and either 4 or 8 gig ram.) Its running Serviio and PS3 media server to serve up and on-the-fly transcode my movies (in MKV format, created by BD-Rebuilder) to my PS3 and my Sony TV's. I also have my older LG Bluray players accessing file shares to play the MKV files natively (i.e. no transcoding needed).

Since I need to add more space, and that is a pain with windows' storage pools (since it doesn't re-balance the data among the drives), I was thinking of trying this but I have a few questions...

1. Can these WD Green drives be used with this setup without problems? (i.e. they work fine for the storage pool, but didn't work for freenas). I'm thinking Raid5 since its only movies/media back ups.
  2. Is there an easy way to ensure my hardware will work?
  3. It appears I can install Serviio synology setup (per -> http://pcloadletter.co.uk/2012/01/25/serviio-syno-package/ ). Can I do it on this setup?
  4. There seems to be discussion on PS3 Media Server on synology (per -> http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12387 ). Can it be done on this setup?
  5. If #3 and/or 4 is "yes", can I expect them to transcode like they do now?
  6. If #3 and/or 4 is "no", are there any alternatives that work?
  7. If I need to add another drive later, how easy is it? Will the array re-balance itself properly?

Given these questions, should I give synology a try on this hardware, or would I just be better rebuilding and keeping using what I have?

Edit: To confirm, it is an Intel DG33TL board, Q6700 (core2quad) 2.66ghz, and 6gig ram.
post #298 of 368 Old 09-17-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgaik View Post

Let me chime in.
System with different drives size is not a good combo with hardware raid array controller. Your array will be limited to smaller drive size multiplied by number of drives.
Also I don't think DSM supports any of raid cards commonly used in Microserver - HP P410 or RocketRaid 2720SGL.
As I understood you are not planning to build new server but simply utilize N40L or get another one. In this scenario don't waste your money on array controllers or SAS cards but simply follow what DanielNTX done.
- Load hacked bios and unlock full sata speed on ODD port and eSATA.
- Add Nexus Double Twin bracket in 5.25'' bay and install two additional drives
- connect drive no.5 with eSATA port and drive no.6 with ODD connector
- load DSM and configure SHR if you are combining different size drives
- buy another Microserver and do similar
It's going be less expensive and more versatile than additional 6disk enclosure connected to N40L no.1

Thank yo for your reply.

Just to clarify, we don't plan on using a hardware RAID, we are going to use software RAID - the SHR provided by Synology which specifically allows for drives of differing sizes. What I am wondering now, based on your comment, is what extender cards for adding more drives *does* DSM support?
post #299 of 368 Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 AM

This is excellent project. I have read from the beginning to the end and try to learn all the details. Before I start to install DSM, I still have some questions and anyone who has answer or comment will be much appreciated.

Basically what I want to use as below from top priority, NFS, SAMBA/CIFS, DLNA, other features are not commonly used like iTunes server, download station.

1. N40L, pre-installed Windows 2008 R2, what are Cons and Pros of DSM 4.1 or 4.2 ? What is the main reason to use DSM instead of Windows 2008 R2 ? Better performance, Flexibility, Reliability, Power saving, or something else ?

2. I have seen some DSM drawbacks pop up, DSM will keep hard disks running even idle, need hacked BIOS to use 5th disks, what is the point ? How bad even we may tolerate this ? Just more utility bills and less hard disk lifetime, or more heat or noise or something else ?
Even with these drawbacks, Is DSM still better choice than Windows 2008 R2 ? Or Windows 2008 R2 has these issues too or just DSM has these issues ?

3. I have 4 external NTFS hard drives , and how to use them wisely if I start using DSM, just plugged in USB and use as shared devices without redundancy, NFS/SAMBA/DLNA transcoding for PS3 OK ?

Please shed the lights and share you thoughts.
post #300 of 368 Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuxmyyg View Post

This is excellent project. I have read from the beginning to the end and try to learn all the details. Before I start to install DSM, I still have some questions and anyone who has answer or comment will be much appreciated.

Basically what I want to use as below from top priority, NFS, SAMBA/CIFS, DLNA, other features are not commonly used like iTunes server, download station.

1. N40L, pre-installed Windows 2008 R2, what are Cons and Pros of DSM 4.1 or 4.2 ? What is the main reason to use DSM instead of Windows 2008 R2 ? Better performance, Flexibility, Reliability, Power saving, or something else ?

2. I have seen some DSM drawbacks pop up, DSM will keep hard disks running even idle, need hacked BIOS to use 5th disks, what is the point ? How bad even we may tolerate this ? Just more utility bills and less hard disk lifetime, or more heat or noise or something else ?
Even with these drawbacks, Is DSM still better choice than Windows 2008 R2 ? Or Windows 2008 R2 has these issues too or just DSM has these issues ?

3. I have 4 external NTFS hard drives , and how to use them wisely if I start using DSM, just plugged in USB and use as shared devices without redundancy, NFS/SAMBA/DLNA transcoding for PS3 OK ?

Please shed the lights and share you thoughts.
In general, Windows Server is going to be more flexible in what you can do with it as it's a full OS vs. a NAS OS. Windows has Storage Spaces, whereas Synology implements full RAID or their version called SHR. Some will argue one vs. the other, but from a streaming perspective, they will be the same. As for power consumption, it's true that the drives don't spin down with this implementation, but most modern drives pull very little power while idle anyway, so it's going to be dollars and cents, not tens of dollars. As for transcoding, I don't think the CPU is powerful enough in the N40L to transcode 1080p, but might be OK with 720. Streaming will be fine, but the PS3 won't playback MKVs or ripped BDs anyway. You're better off getting a cheap WDTV or Boxee for playback or even building a XBMC system.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Synology Ds1812 Diskstation High Performance Nas Server Scales Up To 18 Drives For Smb Users
Gear in this thread - Ds1812 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page