[HOW-TO] Roll your own Synology DiskStation for NAS - UPDATE 5/28/2013 DSM 4.2-3211 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 368 Old 06-14-2014, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone have a release of the files? All the links are dead, and I'd really like to use the Synology DSM for my DLNA server. I had one of the iomega 2 disk nas drives and liked it, but I'm sure all the other AV geeks here can agree, 2Tb of storage isn't even getting started with a good movie server.

I've built a NAS box using an i5 processor, 16Gb or RAM, and a 12Tb RAID 5. I'd love to have the gui from the Synology.

If you can post links to working downloads, it would be GREATLY appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 368 Old 06-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHax View Post
Does anyone have a release of the files? All the links are dead, and I'd really like to use the Synology DSM for my DLNA server. I had one of the iomega 2 disk nas drives and liked it, but I'm sure all the other AV geeks here can agree, 2Tb of storage isn't even getting started with a good movie server.

I've built a NAS box using an i5 processor, 16Gb or RAM, and a 12Tb RAID 5. I'd love to have the gui from the Synology.

If you can post links to working downloads, it would be GREATLY appreciated.
Go to the Xpenology site, much better resource.

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewforum...2ae880d231ee4f
post #363 of 368 Old 07-18-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
Go to the Xpenology site, much better resource.

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewforum...2ae880d231ee4f
I added a DSM 5.0-4493 Update 2 virtual machine to my ESXi 5.5 cluster following the guides on Xpenology. I really like the Synology interface and have two DS1813+ NAS. I spun up the VM because I wanted to let the DS1813+ disk hibernate, which is disabled with Surveillance Station. My ESXi cluster is built on Intel NUC i5, so its a huge power savings.
post #364 of 368 Old 08-10-2014, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post
I added a DSM 5.0-4493 Update 2 virtual machine to my ESXi 5.5 cluster following the guides on Xpenology. I really like the Synology interface and have two DS1813+ NAS. I spun up the VM because I wanted to let the DS1813+ disk hibernate, which is disabled with Surveillance Station. My ESXi cluster is built on Intel NUC i5, so its a huge power savings.
All, my plan is to install synology on this physical server. Any idea whether bthe hardware is compatible with what has been listed in the first post of this thread.
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/kunalraiker/saved/8BmmP6
post #365 of 368 Old 08-10-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalraiker View Post
All, my plan is to install synology on this physical server. Any idea whether bthe hardware is compatible with what has been listed in the first post of this thread.
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/kuna...r/saved/8BmmP6
Depends on which build you use. Head over to xpenology.com and read up on the different optoins. It's my understanding that Synology is very picky about hardware, so unless it matches exactly, you'll have a hard time getting it to run. However, those parts would make a pretty good ESXi machine which definitely can run one of the xpenology builds. (Bump the RAM up to 8 or 16 GB though)

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #366 of 368 Old 08-10-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
Depends on which build you use. Head over to xpenology.com and read up on the different optoins. It's my understanding that Synology is very picky about hardware, so unless it matches exactly, you'll have a hard time getting it to run. However, those parts would make a pretty good ESXi machine which definitely can run one of the xpenology builds. (Bump the RAM up to 8 or 16 GB though)
Ok, that's interesting, so you recommend the Xpenology.
I looked at their website, but its all too confusing, do you know of any quick guide I could follow, again when you say run ESXi, is it free what is the benefit of doing so ?
post #367 of 368 Old 08-10-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalraiker View Post
Ok, that's interesting, so you recommend the Xpenology.
I looked at their website, but its all too confusing, do you know of any quick guide I could follow, again when you say run ESXi, is it free what is the benefit of doing so ?
Yes, go to Xpenology and poke around the forums. Whatever is listed here is so old and has been hacked twice. The folks on Xpenology keep up to date with the latest (5.0-4493 U3 at this point) and typically can help when you get stuck.

As for ESXi - it's free (for now) and let's you virtualize not only Synology, but Windows, Mac, Linux, etc. Even if you only want to virtualize Synology, the biggest benefit I see is being able build a new VM for new versions to test ahead of time. For example, I was running Synology 4.3, and wanted to go to 5.0. I just built a new VM, did a little bit of testing and then moved my hard drives over to the new VM and voila, new Synology version with all my data in tact. It is a bit daunting, however, so be prepared to read up and learn as you go.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #368 of 368 Old 08-10-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
Yes, go to Xpenology and poke around the forums. Whatever is listed here is so old and has been hacked twice. The folks on Xpenology keep up to date with the latest (5.0-4493 U3 at this point) and typically can help when you get stuck.

As for ESXi - it's free (for now) and let's you virtualize not only Synology, but Windows, Mac, Linux, etc. Even if you only want to virtualize Synology, the biggest benefit I see is being able build a new VM for new versions to test ahead of time. For example, I was running Synology 4.3, and wanted to go to 5.0. I just built a new VM, did a little bit of testing and then moved my hard drives over to the new VM and voila, new Synology version with all my data in tact. It is a bit daunting, however, so be prepared to read up and learn as you go.
Over to Xpenology
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Synology Ds1812 Diskstation High Performance Nas Server Scales Up To 18 Drives For Smb Users
Gear in this thread - Ds1812 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page