[HOW-TO] Roll your own Synology DiskStation for NAS - UPDATE 5/28/2013 DSM 4.2-3211 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 369 Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those looking for looking for newer type boards, you might want to go one step further and make it (the new hardware) compatible with ESXi. I'm running a 3.3GHz xeon with 32GB of ram on a Supermicro X9SCM-F. I dedicated the entire Cougar point 6 port SATA AHCI controller (using passthrough) and all I can say is WOW... I gave it 1GB of ram and 2 of the 8 cores. It runs smooth with barely a blip on the CPU or memory. The only thing that I can see that doesn't work is the VLAN (though I might have a work around soon) disk hibernation, and maybe Jumbo frames though honestly I've tested both dedicated and NIC so many times it's hard to see a huge difference just jogging large files around. I should setup a proper test with http://www.intel.com/products/server/storage/NAS_Perf_Toolkit.htm but quite honestly this thing is so fast I really don't care. I've owned 5 synology devices and this virtual build is by far the fasted box I've used. I've had it running without issue for about a week. During that time I've been trying to punish it but like I've said it's a beast. To give an example, when indexing my photo collection (about 85GB) it used to take close to a week. This build took less than a night and even that didn't fully peg the processor. I can also confirm that NIC bonding works with both virtual and physical network cards. Note: The USB didn't work but that's a limitation on my Mobo (it doesn't support USB passthrough).

r3zon8, if you working on the updated DSM I would love to help you test it out. I love this build but DSM 4.2 supports LUN snapshots and I would love to be all over that. KUDOs to everyone involved with this. Great work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 369 Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 PM

Great piece of software, love it!

I've tried it on a couple of my systems, and have some information to share that might be interesting for someof you.
It works on a Intel D201GLY2 MiniITX board, wich ghas on soldered on Celeron 220 CPU and only 100Mbit network, so it's (very) slow, but it does work!

I'm currenlty testing it on an ASUS P5G43T-M Pro with a Pentium Dual Core E6300, but the onboard network card doesn't work (L1E), so I tried a RealTek 8168B PCIe 1x gigabit network card I've got, and that did work.
All the SATA ports work , so I tried a RAID1 stripe set with 3 7200 rpm notebook HDs. With the RealTek card I only got 20-23MB/s write speed. With the same disk layout I exchanged the RealTek for an Intel PRO/1000 CT Desktop network adapter, and the write speed went up to 58-64 MB/s! So if you're going to build a cheap system to use as a NAS I'd suggest investing in a decent NIC if you want better performance. Also the CPU utilisation is a lot lower with the Intel nic, so that should help with power consumtion and/or heat production.
If I remember correctly I paid around €11,- for the RealTek and around €20 for the Intel, so the price difference isn't that big.

I'll be testing the software on some other systems, I'll try and let you know which systems it works.

I've also got a Hyper-V environment, and am very interested in (helping create) a Hyper-V VM of this software.

Edit:
I've attached the same disks to a more recent system, an ASUS P8B75-M LX board with currently a Core i5
3470 on it (there is supposed to be a Celeron G530 on it) and the DSM started without any problems.
Write speed isn't any better than the P5G43T-M Pro with the Intel NIC, so the bottleneck probably is the disks (as to be expected). So in my experience there is no use for a faster, more expensive CPU for write performance. Passmark score for the Pentium Dual Core E6300 I used on the P5G43T-M is 1551.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8B75M_LX/#specifications
the ASUS P8B75-M LX is a nice board, abeit bit strange because it has the B75 ChipSet with 1xSATA 6G port and 5xSATA 2 ports, USB 3 and PCIe 3. It also has a Realtek® 8111F-VB-CG, Gigabit NIC that isn't mentioned in the OP, but against my expectations it does work. It shouldn't be too expensive, I've paid less than €60,- and a Celeron G540 is an inexpensive but capable S1155 CPU.
post #183 of 369 Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM

Have you tested any kind of USB with it? I have a USB 3 dock attached to one of my "real" synology boxes and I find myself shuffling drives back and forth. I also have a laserjet attached and use it as a print server. Any chance you could plug something in and give it a look? You can see from the control panel under external devices.

Please and thanks!
post #184 of 369 Old 05-09-2013, 09:25 PM

Any word or update on getting 4.2 rolled out?
post #185 of 369 Old 05-10-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishRob View Post

Have you tested any kind of USB with it? I have a USB 3 dock attached to one of my "real" synology boxes and I find myself shuffling drives back and forth. I also have a laserjet attached and use it as a print server. Any chance you could plug something in and give it a look? You can see from the control panel under external devices.

Please and thanks!
[Robert DeNiro accent]Are you talking to me?[/Robert DeNiro accent]

I have never owned or used a Synology NAS, I'm very happy with this piece of software so I can play with DSM without having to buy one.
I have no idea how exernal USB disks normally work on a Synology, so you have to be very specific about what I should see in 'External Devices'.

I've tried booting (from USB stick of course) with a USB 3 disk attached, and I couldn't connect remotely, so something is going wrong there.
After booting without any external disks attached I could connect remotely. Unfortunately an external USB3 disk connected to the USB3 port is not recognised, not on the local console and (logically) not remotely, so I assume the USB3 of the motherboard chipset isn''t supported.
If I connect an external USB2 disk the console recognises the device as SCSI UDMA/133 but it is not shown in 'External Devices'. I figured out that I could see it in the 'Storage Manager' and could create a Unix type partition/volume. Don't know how to safely dismount and or deactivate such a disk/volume. I think you have to ask the creator of this software how this is supposed to work.

I have a LaserJet with USB somewhere, but I don't have the time now to connect it and see how that works. Maybe I have time next week, but I'd like to know before I start a major internal shuffle (it is on the bottom of a big pile of old stuff) if this could work before I try it.

BTW the motherboard I'm using ight now is a P8B75-M, not the LX version, I forgot that I sold that already, and upgraded my own system to the one with 4 DIMM slots. This one is slightly more expensive, but I think all the components are identical so everything that works on my system should work on the LX version too.

I think I will switch back to the P5G43T-M Pro later on because that servers my own purpose as having en physical system with Synology softwar. My ideal would be having a Hyper-V VM, but that needs some work. To begin with I need a bootable ISO image, I tried converting the IMG file, but my UltraISO gives an error when I try that. Also the firmware must support Microsofts virtual harware. The NIC ad MAC address are the east parts, and I hope that MS implemantation of bootable IDE disks in Hyper-V can be used by DSM.

In the mean time I'll go and see how much time I have to try if this version works on the following motherboards:
ASUS N4L-VM DH with Core Duo T2300 (my favorite because of the performance/power consumption ration, it mght be to slow for me though)
ASUS P5WDG2 WS Pro (one of my old workstations) This has 2 NICs, but one has problems, so this could be tricky
Intel DQ45EK (just a test machine, need it because of the Q chipset.
I have several S775 CPU's so I can pick and choose the performance / power ration.
Intel DQ67EP (it has an I5 2400S on it which is overkill, but I can test if the motherboard supports DSM)

If anyone has any preference, please let me know, then I'll try to test that board first.

I have tried a couple already, but unfortunately the 'Error 17' I got was because of a corrupted USB stick, so 'll have to try them again.
I tried it on an old server with a ASUS P5M2 motherboard. It does boot, and I can configure it, and it shows the disk but it gives an error when I try to create a volume on a harddisk attached to the SATA controller, so I assume the SATA controller isn't fully supported.
post #186 of 369 Old 05-11-2013, 09:45 AM

It is working on my old hp tx2500

Any news about 4.2 ?
post #187 of 369 Old 05-12-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangocat View Post

Can you please take a look if external USB drive works on your N40l build? I was able to turn my N40l into a synology DS. Everything was great until I tried to plug in a USB drive to copy some file onto it. The USB drive was mounted as an " not initiated Hard Drive", but not a "usbshare volume" like my ds212j does. Any idea would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

i have the same issue after setting up on an HP microserver N54L. I followed the OP and have the system booted over a 2 gb usb drive (put that in the only one internal usb port to be included in the case), and got the .pat file installed on the raid configuration. After restart, i put a USB 2 external disk on one of the external usb port (i tried both front and back ports), they will show in "storage manager--->HDD management" properly but showing "not initialied " under "status". It does not show at all under "control panel-->external devices".

i then ssh into the box, and was able to find the external usb drive with one partion (in my case, it was /dev/sdh and dev/sdh1 respectively) by fdisk -l command, but not able to mount the partition or dis---the systme reports device not found.

Also of interest is that the boot usb thumb drive is also reported as "not initialized' under "storage manager-->HDD management:.

another observation is that the 5th hard drive (connected to the only internal SATA port) is recognized in the stock BIOS, but not showing up at all in Synology UI.

Any thoughts, help, please comment.

for your info, if you google "synonlogy usb drive not initiated (recognized)", there are quite a few complains in synology forum, it seems to be an OS issue, i am not able to find a fix.

also, i have a real synology ds1511+,also runs on 4.1, with two external usb drive attached, they both show up in "control panel-->external device" but one of them shows "shared" and appears as a shared folder, the other one was reporte "not shared", i cant find the way to share it. None of those 2 disks are shown in "storage manager-->HDD management", only the 5 internal HD were shown here. So there are some differences in terms how the external usb drives handled in "real" synology vs our new "hp" synolgy.

i am also looking forward to the new 4.2 coming out, would that be a possible fix to some of the above?

thanks guys, this is a great project.
post #188 of 369 Old 05-17-2013, 10:08 PM

I have loaded this successfully on my computer and it all seems to be running fine.
I have two 3tb drives I put in Raid 1 (mirror).
It shows 2.7tb (approx) of usable space.
However, when I load for instance 50gb of data on there...it shows space used of approx 100gb, essentially cutting my usable space in half.

What am I doing wrong?
I have re-created the volume 3 times now...and it behaves that same way every time.

When I create a volume of 1 disk alone, it reports the disk space accurately.

Thanks,
Brent
post #189 of 369 Old 05-17-2013, 10:16 PM

Hi,
First, thank you so much for posting this.
I already have a Synology DS207+ with DSM 3.1 currently installed on it.
Synology wouldn't let me upgrade to anything above 3.1

My question is is there a way I could install 4.1 on it?
Thanks in advance.smile.gif
post #190 of 369 Old 05-18-2013, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi BluBlah,

Welcome to the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBlah View Post

My question is is there a way I could install 4.1 on it?
Sorry, No. The processor is wrong.

Synology used Power-PC CPUs in their earliest machines, and had moved to ARM9 CPUs for the DS207+. Since then, they have moved on to Intel Atom CPUs, and the latest DSM software only works on the Atoms. I believe DSM 3.1 may be the last version that supported ARM9.

But consider yourself lucky: They stuck me with DSM 2.0 only 18 months after I bought my Synology.
post #191 of 369 Old 05-23-2013, 02:41 AM

Hi There,

first of all I will take a big thank to people who modified the original Firmware from DS3612xs.
It run's absolutly perfect on my Supermicro X7SPA-H-D525 / Atom Hardware with ICH9R and dual Intel 82574L.
The only thing doesn't work is the Powerbutton and Buzzer.
I think the module for Systemspeaker is missing in Firmware.
But the problems still bothers me.
After I read all posts here and in other forums my understanding is, that there is an Microcontroller (Microchip PIC) on Synology Mainboard short to serial port 2 /dev/ttyS1.
The controller interprete the commads from scemd for the LED’s an send commands triggered by pressing Power/Reset-Button.
Is that incorrect?
Some Users write that an “echo 1 >/dev/ttyS1” powers the device down. In my case this have no effect.
When my assumption is right, the idea is to program an microcontroller, connected to serial2 (/dev/ttyS1) which emulate the original Synology’s one.
post #192 of 369 Old 05-23-2013, 10:20 AM

When I discovered this forum, for a moment I hoped to realize my dream: dsm on my hardware!

Unfortunately, the network card of my hardware I have been awakened by that fantastic dream, even if they are compatible with the project Synology Assistant can not find my server poweredge r710.

This is the configuration:
2x Xeon X5550
36 GB Ram
Raid Controller PERC 6 / i
6 x 2 TB SAS
Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5709c 1Gbps Embedded QUAD PORT NETWORK
Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5709c 1Gbps QUAD PORT PCI-E NETWORK

Congratulations to those who have reached the goal.
post #193 of 369 Old 05-24-2013, 04:48 AM

Is there anobody who runs the modified firmware from DS3612xs on dedicated x86 hardware?
Please try to execute "echo 0 >/dev/ttyS1" (power button pressed) on a ssh session. Or "echo 1 >/dev/ttyS1" (shut down).
These commands emulate the event pressing the power button...........
I've read a lot of threads about the connection of the frontpanel with Beeper, LED's and Buttons to /dev/ttyS1.
But on my Hardware all send to this port doesen't have any effect.
Can it be that the correlate kernel module is missing from scemd is missing in the modified Firmware.
Over again for explanation, the Firmware run' verry good, but i've missing the funktion of Powerbutton to manually shut down device and the system Beep to alert if something is going wron with the RAID.
The original Synology hardware controlles the Beep,LED's and Buttons over an PIC(Microcontroller) connected through /dev/ttyS1 ?!?!?!?!?!
Please check this on your systems.

THX
post #194 of 369 Old 05-28-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
Update to DSM 4.2 Build 3211

Download here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-XUWYZADfx1X3lxSFBuVDNSb28/edit?usp=sharing

Notes:
STRONGLY recommend you install/test on a clean USB disk. There is no 'upgrade' path. This is essentially just like reinstalling your DSM.
post #195 of 369 Old 05-28-2013, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for the 4.2 update! That's pretty amazing.

Question though: If I replace the image in the USB and boot from it, will this put the RAID contents in any danger of being wiped/re-initialized?
post #196 of 369 Old 05-28-2013, 06:56 PM

Are external hdd working on this build?
post #197 of 369 Old 05-29-2013, 07:49 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshagnasty View Post

Thanks for the 4.2 update! That's pretty amazing.

Question though: If I replace the image in the USB and boot from it, will this put the RAID contents in any danger of being wiped/re-initialized?

I'm using VirtualBox, but was able to successfully "upgrade" without damaging RAID contents. I removed all drives but my boot/configuration drive (SATA 1) for the 4.2 .pat install. Once booted and configured, I added the drives back to the VM and it recognized my drives and shares. I did get an initial error (can't remember the exact details), but was prompted to repair which was successful. I did have to go back and complete most of my initial configuration (router settings, re-enabling packages, etc.), but it did recognize installed packages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio82 View Post

Are external hdd working on this build?

External HDDs are not working for me in VirtualBox, at least.
post #198 of 369 Old 05-29-2013, 12:18 PM

Just tried the 4.2 update, the usb boot disk does not finish loading and hangs at 'Booting the kernel.' message.

Previous version worked with no problems, even recognised my usb wireless dongle!

Image showing error:

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

nscripta
post #199 of 369 Old 05-29-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nscripta View Post

Just tried the 4.2 update, the usb boot disk does not finish loading and hangs at 'Booting the kernel.' message.

Previous version worked with no problems, even recognised my usb wireless dongle!

Image showing error:

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

nscripta

You may have already figured this out, but that's how my VM console screen looks after completely booted up. With the change to 4.2, it appears that the new image no longer boots in "verbose" mode. You may want to give your DSM a shot via the browser.
post #200 of 369 Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drangel1 View Post

You may have already figured this out, but that's how my VM console screen looks after completely booted up. With the change to 4.2, it appears that the new image no longer boots in "verbose" mode. You may want to give your DSM a shot via the browser.
I've got the same problem. Apart from not being able to see if the hardware I'm using is supported or not, I can't find my system with the Synology Assistant.
Same hardware works fine with old version.
post #201 of 369 Old 05-30-2013, 03:34 AM

Same error here also. I have been using 4.1 on HP MicroServer N40L with no problems. Now with 4.2 I cannot find the NAS using either the Assistant or the Web Assistant.

Richard
post #202 of 369 Old 05-30-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
As these releases are custom built, they're not necessarily going to support the same network adapters. probably best to stick with the older version or research how to add in your own drivers.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #203 of 369 Old 05-30-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globulas View Post

Same error here also. I have been using 4.1 on HP MicroServer N40L with no problems. Now with 4.2 I cannot find the NAS using either the Assistant or the Web Assistant.

Richard

For those with an HP MicroServer, this thread might be helpful -> http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6. This is a custom install with instructions specifically for that hardware.

In general, the XPEnology forums might provide an additional level of support beyond this AVS Forum thread.
post #204 of 369 Old 05-31-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3zon8 View Post

Update to DSM 4.2 Build 3211

Download here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-XUWYZADfx1X3lxSFBuVDNSb28/edit?usp=sharing

Notes:
STRONGLY recommend you install/test on a clean USB disk. There is no 'upgrade' path. This is essentially just like reinstalling your DSM.

could you please tell us that this update is for 32bit cpu or 64bit cpu?
post #205 of 369 Old 06-01-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketty_yijun View Post

could you please tell us that this update is for 32bit cpu or 64bit cpu?

I'm pretty sure it's a 64bit image unless it has x86 in the image name. Here is a link to an x86 image -> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-XUWYZADfx1X3lxSFBuVDNSb28/edit?usp=sharing. More images can be found at the XPenology forums here -> http://xpenology.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
post #206 of 369 Old 06-03-2013, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drangel1 View Post

I'm pretty sure it's a 64bit image unless it has x86 in the image name. Here is a link to an x86 image -> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-XUWYZADfx1X3lxSFBuVDNSb28/edit?usp=sharing. More images can be found at the XPenology forums here -> http://xpenology.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

the x86 image link that you provide above is the same one r3zon8 is sharing.
post #207 of 369 Old 06-03-2013, 01:02 PM

When trying to install after first reboot I boot to DSM 2.3 again (step 6). It then goes through the process of writing the configuration files and shows "== Philippines Coast Guard massacred Taiwan finishing boat on 2013-05-19 ==" a few times then invalid HDD 11 and invalid HDD 12, only one drive is connected during this. Then the system "kills" and just shuts down the machine. It never gives me a change to log in to webUI. Am I missing something?
post #208 of 369 Old 06-08-2013, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How can I get the link file for 4.2, I tried but tell me I need permision to download it. Please let me know

Thanks
post #209 of 369 Old 06-09-2013, 12:16 PM

Have the same issue as well. Can someone please share smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by sraptor View Post

How can I get the link file for 4.2, I tried but tell me I need permision to download it. Please let me know

Thanks
post #210 of 369 Old 06-10-2013, 04:34 AM

No way to download ... please re-upload !!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Synology Ds1812 Diskstation High Performance Nas Server Scales Up To 18 Drives For Smb Users
Gear in this thread - Ds1812 by PriceGrabber.com