Music Streaming Problem: Windows OS or Computer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-26-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Computer or Windows Problem?

I purchased an Asus netbook mostly for streaming music from sites such as Pandora, Mog, Spotify, etc. I have it connected to my Sherwood R-972 via HDMI. From the Sherwood the TV is connected via HDMI. But no matter which streaming service I am using after about 12 minutes the TV screen goes out, and the sound through the Sherwood stops, and the sound only plays through the netbooks own speakers which it will continue to do until you stop it. To resume sound and video through the AVR and TV you simply have to touch a key, or touch pad on the netbook. It resumes for another 12 minutes through the system and then you have to touch the netbook again to resume. Then after 12 minutes it's the same all over again. BTW, the screen saver on the netbook (Windows 7) is set to never sleep, and therefore it never does.

As an experiment a friend of mine brought over their Asus tablet that we hooked up via HDMI into the same HDMI "in" on the Sherwood that the netbook was plugged into. No problem. The music and TV display continued until we finally switched it off. We tried several different HDMI "ins" on the Sherwood just to be sure. Again, no problem with sound and video cutting off.

I can't find much about this problem online except as it pertains to Apple OS. A couple of people online seemed to think this was a Windows thing in that windows was not that good at handling streaming music. I don't know it they are correct, or if it is a problem with Windows using HDMI, or what? I don't have an external DAC that I can experiment via USB so I don't know if that would make any difference. All I know is that the Asus Tablet (Android of course) had no hiccups, or time outs on sound and video.

Any ideas anyone on what this problem could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-26-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
what happens if you turn the TV off right after you start a stream? I notice if I'm playing a stream via Pandora or networked content if I turn my display off I loose audio for a few seconds --but it does come back. How are you playing the stream? Are you using your browser? Media player? I've pretty much switched to VLC for playing any media from my computer, and I think there are stand alone Pandora players too.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-27-2013, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Sounds like it is going to sleep and disconnecting from the network. You might want to check your power management settings.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page