*Official* Dune HD TV303D/ Base 3D Streamer Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1232 Old 08-21-2013, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Just picked up HD TV303D - in few day of messing around - exactly what I was looking for in a WD TV Live upgrade ( had for couple yrs)
I mostly just use for streaming MKVs off Iomega server and win 7 PC's.

biggest upgrades for me over the WDTV -
DTS-MA and TrueHD bitstreaming - flawless
getting proper Video display and frame rates - WDTV was always PIA and reverting to default settings.
have not had any freeze's up - WDTV was locking up a lot and requiring hard resets
and added bonus for my CIH set-up - Subtitle shift - awesome feature

recommended

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1232 Old 08-21-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

Just picked up HD TV303D - in few day of messing around - exactly what I was looking for in a WD TV Live upgrade ( had for couple yrs)
I mostly just use for streaming MKVs off Iomega server and win 7 PC's.

biggest upgrades for me over the WDTV -
DTS-MA and TrueHD bitstreaming - flawless
getting proper Video display and frame rates - WDTV was always PIA and reverting to default settings.
have not had any freeze's up - WDTV was locking up a lot and requiring hard resets
and added bonus for my CIH set-up - Subtitle shift - awesome feature

recommended
Which firmware version are you at?
Try this:
Play MP4 file, play MKV with dts, play MKV with DD, play AVI with DivX, then VxiD. Report your findings.
post #723 of 1232 Old 08-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Which firmware version are you at?
Try this:
Play MP4 file, play MKV with dts, play MKV with DD, play AVI with DivX, then VxiD. Report your findings.

Version "130515_2104_b6"
MP4 file, MKV with dts, play MKV with DD, are all good . don't think I have anything with AVI or DivX

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #724 of 1232 Old 08-22-2013, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsert View Post

how im gonna take screenshot from movie? its black screen everytime i try.only i can get screenshot from menu
no reply?
post #725 of 1232 Old 08-22-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 136
My Smart D1 just showed up today. Gonna treat that thing like gold, might even buy another.

FS- Peavey IPR 2 7500, Art Clean Box Pro, Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #726 of 1232 Old 08-22-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

My Smart D1 just showed up today. Gonna treat that thing like gold, might even buy another.

Congrats. Do you mind if I ask how much did you pay for it?

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #727 of 1232 Old 08-22-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Congrats. Do you mind if I ask how much did you pay for it?

Not at all... I paid what Mike has them on his site for, I think 349, or 369?? I can't remember.

FS- Peavey IPR 2 7500, Art Clean Box Pro, Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #728 of 1232 Old 08-24-2013, 12:59 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

It's been 3 months since the last firmware release :cry:

Mine is a little buggy.Cant wait for a new firmware.Has been a while.
post #729 of 1232 Old 08-24-2013, 06:53 PM

currently trying to decide between a popcorn hour a400 and a dune 303d/base 3d.

I really love the casing on the base 3d but the only way it would fit in my enterainment system is if i could sit my ps3 on it. Would that damage anything? base 3d has a fan, i will not be putting a hdd in the base 3d as of yet and the base 3d / ps3 would never be used at the same time.

also, opinions of base 3d/303d vs popcorn hour a400?
post #730 of 1232 Old 08-25-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Base 3D gets my vote of the three. It's what I own. ;-)

Video Games, 3D, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

post #731 of 1232 Old 08-29-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

What are the major bugs of the Base 3D after the b6 firmware?

I have several Base 3.0 and Smart H1's, but I need to add two more units to my system. I know there were lots of complaints with bugs when the Base 3D was released (audio dropouts, not TrueHD decoding, etc.).

All my media are 1080p MKV files with either DTS-HD or TrueHD tracks (the secondary 5.1 tracks are not present). Some have internal PGS forced subtitles. In the case of these two new installs, they will be connected directly to a TV with no HD audio decoding. In the past, I have just used the Dunes to downmix to two channel audio directly from the HD track and output as PCM to a stereo TV. Also, some of the content may be 50 Hz and the TV's are not capable of 50 Hz (previous Dunes converted 50Hz material to 60Hz).

I also use the Dune rsync utility as well as a couple of other Dune utilities to keep my jukeboxes updated. Are there any problems with these on the Base 3D?

Is the Base 3D still buggy in any of these areas? What problems will I notice when compared to the Smart H1's as far as MKV files?

Thanks!
post #732 of 1232 Old 08-29-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

What are the major bugs of the Base 3D after the b6 firmware?

I have several Base 3.0 and Smart H1's, but I need to add two more units to my system. I know there were lots of complaints with bugs when the Base 3D was released (audio dropouts, not TrueHD decoding, etc.).

All my media are 1080p MKV files with either DTS-HD or TrueHD tracks (the secondary 5.1 tracks are not present). Some have internal PGS forced subtitles. In the case of these two new installs, they will be connected directly to a TV with no HD audio decoding. In the past, I have just used the Dunes to downmix to two channel audio directly from the HD track and output as PCM to a stereo TV. Also, some of the content may be 50 Hz and the TV's are not capable of 50 Hz (previous Dunes converted 50Hz material to 60Hz).

I also use the Dune rsync utility as well as a couple of other Dune utilities to keep my jukeboxes updated. Are there any problems with these on the Base 3D?

Is the Base 3D still buggy in any of these areas? What problems will I notice when compared to the Smart H1's as far as MKV files?

Thanks!

TrueHD from an mkv will not be downmixed, so you will get no sound (this is not a bug, this is how the 3D model was designed based on licensing). You can always just add in an AC3 track to those mkvs

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #733 of 1232 Old 08-29-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks! Looks like I will be scouring the secondary market then, as that is a deal killer.

I could externally extract all HD tracks, convert TrueHD to a DD 5.1 track, and then remux that track back in. But I'm sure that would be hundreds of files, dozens of hours to accomplish, and would increase my storage requirements. I also don't know if the TrueHD track was default, would it automatically switch the the secondary track, or would it play silence till manually switched?

I think it would be more practical to buy used players until such a time that Dune gets on board with TrueHD licensing. I may have to pay the extra money to get a new D1, but I would rather have an H1, Base 3.0, Duo or the like (removable drive bay).
post #734 of 1232 Old 08-29-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks! Looks like I will be scouring the secondary market then, as that is a deal killer.

I could externally extract all HD tracks, convert TrueHD to a DD 5.1 track, and then remux that track back in. But I'm sure that would be hundreds of files, dozens of hours to accomplish, and would increase my storage requirements. I also don't know if the TrueHD track was default, would it automatically switch the the secondary track, or would it play silence till manually switched?

I think it would be more practical to buy used players until such a time that Dune gets on board with TrueHD licensing. I may have to pay the extra money to get a new D1, but I would rather have an H1, Base 3.0, Duo or the like (removable drive bay).

Yeah, depending on how many TrueHD mkvs you have it would be a PITA.

The default track will automatically load, so if that is the TrueHD track you will need to manually switch to the AC3 track

With the current 3D models I don't see TrueHD licensing ever coming to.

One option if you don't want to spend as much on a new Smart, contact Mike @ Duneplayer. I believe he has a bunch of refurbs that you could get for cheaper. For example, I think he has a bunch of B1s where the ROM drive no longer works but everything else works perfect (i.e. so if you are not looking to use the BR Rom drive it would be no different then an H1)

Cheers,
Damian

post #735 of 1232 Old 08-29-2013, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Been using an A-400 for a while thinking that 3D would be a draw. My wife is fairly resistant to 3D though. Been ripping main movies to MKV on my Synology. I'm thinking now that if I wanted to skip 3D, I'd rather be running an older player capable of real BD menus off a full disc rip to ISO and just pay for the extra storage to keep the extra features on the discs.

Would the best bet for that be an older Dune Smart series player?
Do those players have any issues with playing the most recent BD releases?
Will those Dunes handle forced subs properly in a full disc rip to ISO?
Will those Dunes handle seamless branching without any stutter in a full disc rip to ISO?

Thanks!
post #736 of 1232 Old 08-29-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post

Been using an A-400 for a while thinking that 3D would be a draw. My wife is fairly resistant to 3D though. Been ripping main movies to MKV on my Synology. I'm thinking now that if I wanted to skip 3D, I'd rather be running an older player capable of real BD menus off a full disc rip to ISO and just pay for the extra storage to keep the extra features on the discs.

Will those Dunes handle seamless branching without any stutter in a full disc rip to ISO?

Thanks!

Only problems they have is with fox titles. But if you are ripping to ISO rather then retail disc you will not have that issue
post #737 of 1232 Old 08-29-2013, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I rip to iso on all files.Both my older dunes play them without issues

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #738 of 1232 Old 08-30-2013, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post

Thanks!

1. yes, Smart/max/duo arethe most stable 2D players. the problem is to find one to buy...
2. B1/Max are unable to play any fox title released since mid-2012. No problem once ripped (with full menu)
3. not used to forced sbus, will let someone else answer, but i think every players from any brands are struggling in some way with forced subs.
4. old dune range will play seamless titles without stutter or audio drops. just perfect.
post #739 of 1232 Old 08-30-2013, 01:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I have a couple of questions as far as the Dune Base 3d. It seems like most people are using mkv container for their movies. I rip iso for my movies so
1) As far as blu ray movies are concerned do seamless branching blu ray 3d titles have drop out in iso form?
2) Seamless branch on standard blu ray movies in iso form (non 3d) shouldn't have a problem if i use something like clown bd and just rip main title?
3) Any titles with TrueHd will downmix in iso form but not in mkv?

All my blu ray iso i use clown bd and just pick the main movie. The few 3d titles i have i do have the full iso image ripped as well.
post #740 of 1232 Old 08-30-2013, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

1. on all 3D models seamless branching is a problem, whatever container you use except mkv. Problem : for 3D movies the dune 3D models are unable to play 3D mkv MVC, which gives you no solution to correct this problem for seamless titles (assuming you would be OK to change your 3D ISO into mkv).
2. outside the easy to rip mkv solution (because it would keep the BR structure and is fast to do), yes, ripping as one big m2ts is another solution, but with some seamless titles having 50+ segments (mainly disney) it can be complicated to do.
3. in fact I think that THD, whatever format is used, just doesn't output any audio when downmixed, you would have to remux to AC3 5.1 your THD track (not 100% about that, so someone else might confirm).
post #741 of 1232 Old 08-30-2013, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post

3) Any titles with TrueHd will downmix in iso form but not in mkv?

TrueHD will not get downmixed regardless of container. HOWEVER, there is a difference when using an m2ts container versus mkv. With an m2ts container (such as a Blu ray folder structure) an AC3 track is embedded in the TrueHD track. In a case like this, the Dune would simply grab the AC3 track (so you would still get sound, albeit from the AC3 track). With an mkv you cannot have 2 audio tracks in one track, so you would end up just having one track with TrueHD. The Dune cannot downmix this so you would be left with no sound (or another option would be to add a second AC3 track, but you would need to manually switch over to that track during playback unless you set it as default)

Cheers,
Damian

post #742 of 1232 Old 08-30-2013, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

so in fact m2ts is the solution for both seamless and THD rips ?
post #743 of 1232 Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

3. not used to forced sbus, will let someone else answer, but i think every players from any brands are struggling in some way with forced subs.

The older Dunes handle forced subs in properly-ripped ISOs just fine. (Getting a proper rip can be a challenge, but that's not Dune's fault.)
post #744 of 1232 Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if there was a way to remove the ROM drive and somehow install a hot swap bay (ie, homemade H1). On all my dunes, I have the hot swap bay with a SSD in it for storing my index. I rarely ever swap one out, but the bay makes it nice when I do. I already have lots of hot swap bays from a server tear down, so I wonder if that would work. If I could get a B1 cheap enough, it might be worth a shot...

I contacted Mike about an H1, but he said those ships have sailed and are long gone.
post #745 of 1232 Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

so in fact m2ts is the solution for both seamless and THD rips ?

yes, except you lose chapters if you just do a standalone ts/m2ts. Also, not sure if forced subs will work (they work with mkvs b/c of Scotts patch)

Cheers,
Damian

post #746 of 1232 Old 08-30-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I wonder if there was a way to remove the ROM drive and somehow install a hot swap bay (ie, homemade H1). On all my dunes, I have the hot swap bay with a SSD in it for storing my index. I rarely ever swap one out, but the bay makes it nice when I do. I already have lots of hot swap bays from a server tear down, so I wonder if that would work. If I could get a B1 cheap enough, it might be worth a shot...

I contacted Mike about an H1, but he said those ships have sailed and are long gone.

I would discuss with Mike. I have a B1 but not gonna take it apart to give you an answer biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Damian

post #747 of 1232 Old 08-30-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

Good luck finding any Smart Series for less than $300 used. I've been keeping an eye on eBay, and several Dune Smart Series D1 / H1 sold for almost $400 dollars USED! eek.gif A Dune Max last week sold for over $400. These prices do not include shipping either.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #748 of 1232 Old 09-01-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsert View Post

how im gonna take screenshot from movie? its black screen everytime i try.only i can get screenshot from menu
help!!!
post #749 of 1232 Old 09-01-2013, 12:01 PM

Liked: 18
That's all you'll get out of the screenshot.
post #750 of 1232 Old 09-03-2013, 09:37 AM

Liked: 11
Hi everyone,

Just some news to clear the air on the state of the Dune HD Smart Series and Dune HD Max players.

There is currently no longer any inventory of the Smart series or Max players since the last production run, and the Smart Series units have been essentially replaced by the Base 3D and 303D players. As always, the firmware will continue to evolve over time with these units. The feature requests and bugs noted are constantly being explored by the firmware team. For those asking, we have no timeline information on a next generation 3D player with full Java menu control at this time.

But…

With all that being said, the demand in the USA is so high for a solid full Blu-Ray ISO player with Java menu control that we had a production run of the Smart D1 units scheduled for the USA. This Smart series resurrection will only be on the D1 units, and that decision was based entirely on popularity. This production run is in process as we speak, and the units expected ship date should be the end of this month. Along with the D1 production run we were also able to schedule a small amount of HD Max players. The quantity of Max units are somewhat limited, but we felt we need to have some optical player coverage as well. I hope this clears things up for the moment.

If you are looking for a Smart or Max unit right now, check your local Microcenter stores online. They might still have inventory of some of these units, and I know quite a few people have picked them up locally.

Thanks,

Mike from DunePlayer
dbone1026 likes this.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Tv303d Wifi 3d Streamer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page