post #811 of 1327 Old 10-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post

I'm just so torn on what I want to do with media. I've been working on this for literally years and can't settle on a way forward because of all the compromises. I'm running a popcorn hour a400 now and has been so problematic.

I think I just need to build an intel nuc htpc and go that route again for full discs rips in 2d and 3d with menus.

Am looking at the dunes again if I want to skip menus but keep 3d. Or I could get 2 dunes and use a smart for 2d and a 303 for 3d. Really don't need menus for 3d since 99% of 3d discs are main movie only anyway. But then there's still concern about handling of branching and subs.

An Oppo BDP-93 with ISO compatible firmware is pricey, but really a one-stop-shopping solution for all ISO playback (2D and 3D). I bought a 2nd one of these just in case my primary unit fails!

Someday, when I have the hard drive space, I plan to rip all of my discs to full ISOs and I never have to touch a disc again.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1327 Old 10-29-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

I'm just so torn on what I want to do with media. I've been working on this for literally years and can't settle on a way forward because of all the compromises. I'm running a popcorn hour a400 now and has been so problematic.

I think I just need to build an intel nuc htpc and go that route again for full discs rips in 2d and 3d with menus.

Am looking at the dunes again if I want to skip menus but keep 3d. Or I could get 2 dunes and use a smart for 2d and a 303 for 3d. Really don't need menus for 3d since 99% of 3d discs are main movie only anyway. But then there's still concern about handling of branching and subs.

Just keep in mind you will likely run into Cinavia with any HTPC on any affected rips (assuming that since you want full menu support you would be using Commercial Software for playback). I know AnyDVD has a patch that sorta works for certain versions of the commercial software, and DVDFab has their commercial player which supports full menu without Cinavia (no clue how long they will be able to keep that up)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #813 of 1327 Old 10-29-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have an i3 NUC, but it doesn't have the power-on-and-just-use feel like most media streamers. While I like it, I find myself using my Mede8er 600X3D when I want to quickly watch a movie. If you do plan on a NUC, install XBMC 12.0 instead of 12.2 (latter has issues with external players, TMT6 in my case, not playing BD-ISO's properly). And, yes, you do need AnyDVD HD running in the background for Cinavia infected movies.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #814 of 1327 Old 10-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

I should add that the Oppo BDP-93 solution predates the Cinavia mandate, so that's not an issue.

Not trying to sound like a broken record, but it really is the simplest hassle-free solution for full ISO playback of any blu-ray.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #815 of 1327 Old 10-29-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

I should add that the Oppo BDP-93 solution predates the Cinavia mandate, so that's not an issue.

Not trying to sound like a broken record, but it really is the simplest hassle-free solution for full ISO playback of any blu-ray.

Can you still find a bdp-93 that still plays ISO files. I thought anything new shipped with new firmware that did not allow iso
post #816 of 1327 Old 10-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Can you still find a bdp-93 that still plays ISO files. I thought anything new shipped with new firmware that did not allow iso

You'd have to purchase second hand from a place like eBay, usually a couple there that weren't updated with the newer FW. Extremely expensive though.

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #817 of 1327 Old 10-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Lightly used units on ebay are the best bet. Or potentially someone here in the AVS classifieds. You *will* pay a premium for getting ISO firmware. It's certainly not the cheapest media playback device, but I find it invaluable.

post #818 of 1327 Old 10-29-2013, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Will that oppo play back over a network from a synology? And it will play 2d and 3d full disc ISO? Does it have any kind of movie wall or meta data or at least let you see movie posters while browsing?
post #819 of 1327 Old 10-29-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The problem with Oppo, beside being pricey for the pre-ISO removal firmware, is new Blu-ray protection schemes not being supported. So, do you update firmware to play those new discs (and lose ISO support) or live with the ISO firmware and have a player that's basically dying in terms of support. No good either way.

post #820 of 1327 Old 10-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Will that oppo play back over a network from a synology? And it will play 2d and 3d full disc ISO? Does it have any kind of movie wall or meta data or at least let you see movie posters while browsing?

Ok. I will admit this is one place where the oppo is a bit simplistic. You can only play with locally attached storage and not over the network. And the ui is just a folder file listing. Nothing fancy.

post #821 of 1327 Old 10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

The problem with Oppo, beside being pricey for the pre-ISO removal firmware, is new Blu-ray protection schemes not being supported. So, do you update firmware to play those new discs (and lose ISO support) or live with the ISO firmware and have a player that's basically dying in terms of support. No good either way.

Not true at all. Ripping a disc to ISO removes any protection which is usually what trips the oppo up. I have never had a movie not play and I've watched plenty of recent movies.

I admit the oppo is pricey and not super fancy. And having to play with local storage makes thjngs slightly cumbersome. But I stand by my endorsement. It is simply the best ISO playback unit around if you want something that always works, does 3D, never crashes, is built like a tank, and has fantastic picture quality. I will use this player for as long as possible.

post #822 of 1327 Old 10-29-2013, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Yeah, I don't think the Oppo is a good option. I really want a movie wall style UI as well.

I had been thinking about the HTPC after reading about AnyDVD suppressing Cinavia some months ago, but it looks like that capability is tenuous as well. Besides, the player software writers could be forced to patch the holes AnyDVD is using and that path dead-ends due to inability to update just like the Oppo.

Looks like I just need to make a hard decision between menus/extras and 3D then, but I really want both. The only caveat being that menus on 3D discs are not really important as most 3D discs only carry the movie anyway. Seems like there are hardly any special features in 3D so far.

Maybe my thought of going dual Dune is the "best" option then. A TV303D for 3D ISO playback sans menus and a Smart player for 2D playback with them. That's a pretty logical break and costs as much as the HTPC would have anyway. To stay on topic about the Dune and having looked at them for a long time but never owned one, can I trouble everyone for a few questions:

On the TV303D/Base 3D:
- Are both boxes really the same hardware/firmware, just a difference in chassis with some connectivity differences (like a HD bay)?
- In the current firmware, can this box reliably play 3D BD ISO over a network with DTS-MA/TrueHD audio from a full disc ISO or main movie ISO rip?
- Any issues still open with seamless branching on BD ISOs?

On the Smart:
- Is Dune still issuing firmware to keep the device up to date for current discs?
- Do we expect a level of support to continue?
- Does the box have any lingering issues with playing BD ISO full rips over a network?
- When playing a full disc ISO, does the Smart pick up and display forced subs automatically?
post #823 of 1327 Old 10-30-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not true at all. Ripping a disc to ISO removes any protection which is usually what trips the oppo up. I have never had a movie not play and I've watched plenty of recent movies.
Okay, good to know. But, your solution will only work as long as you have your Oppo with ISO support. When it dies, you'd either need a new player with the old firmware or jump to media players w/o menus or HTPC's.

post #824 of 1327 Old 10-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Yeah, I don't think the Oppo is a good option. I really want a movie wall style UI as well.

I had been thinking about the HTPC after reading about AnyDVD suppressing Cinavia some months ago, but it looks like that capability is tenuous as well. Besides, the player software writers could be forced to patch the holes AnyDVD is using and that path dead-ends due to inability to update just like the Oppo.

Looks like I just need to make a hard decision between menus/extras and 3D then, but I really want both. The only caveat being that menus on 3D discs are not really important as most 3D discs only carry the movie anyway. Seems like there are hardly any special features in 3D so far.

Maybe my thought of going dual Dune is the "best" option then. A TV303D for 3D ISO playback sans menus and a Smart player for 2D playback with them. That's a pretty logical break and costs as much as the HTPC would have anyway. To stay on topic about the Dune and having looked at them for a long time but never owned one, can I trouble everyone for a few questions:

On the TV303D/Base 3D:
- Are both boxes really the same hardware/firmware, just a difference in chassis with some connectivity differences (like a HD bay)?
- In the current firmware, can this box reliably play 3D BD ISO over a network with DTS-MA/TrueHD audio from a full disc ISO or main movie ISO rip?
- Any issues still open with seamless branching on BD ISOs?

On the Smart:
- Is Dune still issuing firmware to keep the device up to date for current discs?
- Do we expect a level of support to continue?
- Does the box have any lingering issues with playing BD ISO full rips over a network?
- When playing a full disc ISO, does the Smart pick up and display forced subs automatically?

answering to your questions :
303/base 3D :
- yes
- yes
- seamless branching titles are still a problem. not a big problem for 2D titles because you can rip as mkv and the problem is gone, but for 3D seamless titles the only solution for now is to create one big m2ts file, but this needs some extra work when ripping (other solution would be mkv 3D mvc, but unfortunately the sigma chipset doesn't handle it...)

Smart
- no frown.gif We are still waiting for a firmware correcting the problems with Fox discs post mid-2012 (none are playing), so that's more than a year that I can't play any Fox titles on my Smart (but it's perfectly playing once ripped...). I still hope that the new B8 beta firmware corrects this rolleyes.gif
- outside of the Fox problem, firmwares are common to all dune players, so smart are still benefiting from the firmwares for newer players (303/base 3D)
- plays everything in any way you want (including seamless titles). Just no Full HD 3D (only half res SBS or TB)
- don't know (never use forced subs). But I would guess that if the rip is a full one, this should play exactly as if you had the disc playing, so Yes (someone else might confirm this).
post #825 of 1327 Old 10-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Okay, good to know. But, your solution will only work as long as you have your Oppo with ISO support. When it dies, you'd either need a new player with the old firmware or jump to media players w/o menus or HTPC's.

True, but I own two ISO-capable BDP-93s (one is a backup). I expect this thing will still be functional decades from now, it's built so well. In 10 years, if both units die, I'm sure we'll have all moved on to new hardware and 4K media; BD ISO playback will become nothing the studios will be worrying about (much like now where DVD ISO playback is common).

post #826 of 1327 Old 10-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

answering to your questions :
303/base 3D :
- yes
- yes
- seamless branching titles are still a problem. not a big problem for 2D titles because you can rip as mkv and the problem is gone, but for 3D seamless titles the only solution for now is to create one big m2ts file, but this needs some extra work when ripping (other solution would be mkv 3D mvc, but unfortunately the sigma chipset doesn't handle it...)

Smart
- no frown.gifWe are still waiting for a firmware correcting the problems with Fox discs post mid-2012 (none are playing), so that's more than a year that I can't play any Fox titles on my Smart (but it's perfectly playing once ripped...). I still hope that the new B8 beta firmware corrects this rolleyes.gif
- outside of the Fox problem, firmwares are common to all dune players, so smart are still benefiting from the firmwares for newer players (303/base 3D)
- plays everything in any way you want (including seamless titles). Just no Full HD 3D (only half res SBS or TB)
- don't know (never use forced subs). But I would guess that if the rip is a full one, this should play exactly as if you had the disc playing, so Yes (someone else might confirm this).

Which Smart model do you have that plays optical discs? I have the D1 and didn't know the Smart series had optical disc playback, thought only the Max did.

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #827 of 1327 Old 10-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Which Smart model do you have that plays optical discs? I have the D1 and didn't know the Smart series had optical disc playback, thought only the Max did.

The B1 has a disc player in it.
jconjason likes this.

post #828 of 1327 Old 10-31-2013, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a max and two B1s. It is not just fox titles, none of these would play Game of thrones season 1 either. They play fine on my ps3. I wonder if Dune had to choose between keeping the BD drive up to date to play new titles, or enabling cinavia. See the reply in the Max thread from Dune support where they say they won't be making anymore units with optical drives.
post #829 of 1327 Old 10-31-2013, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

I've got a D1 with a BE extension (which basically makes it a Max in 2 pieces).

Strange about the GoT season one, it's a Warner release and I never had any problems with Warner discs (only Fox). I'm not sure that upgrading the firmware will add cinavia...the crazy part about this is that I know someone with an old Pany BR player, never updated, that can play without any problem all the Fox movies that can't play with my Dune smile.gif
jconjason likes this.
post #830 of 1327 Old 11-06-2013, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi...I am using the 303 since 2 weeks. So far I am happy and everything works well. However if I compare the picture of a high quality MKV on the Dune with a Blu-Ray movie in my PS3 then I have the impression that the picture is a bit blurry. This only affects moving objects, e.g. faces. Is this related to the device/chip? I already tried all the Deinterlacing options without success.

time ist what you make of it
post #831 of 1327 Old 11-06-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelance View Post

Hi...I am using the 303 since 2 weeks. So far I am happy and everything works well. However if I compare the picture of a high quality MKV on the Dune with a Blu-Ray movie in my PS3 then I have the impression that the picture is a bit blurry. This only affects moving objects, e.g. faces. Is this related to the device/chip? I already tried all the Deinterlacing options without success.

That's odd. All the media player I've owned Dune D1, TV303D, PCH A210, PCH A300, Pivos AIOS, WDTV and Sony NSZ-GS7 have excellent picture quality just like my PS3. Try a different HDMI cable? My TV was calibrated like 5 years ago so may be that would be an option to look into. Or ask someone else to compare the picture quality from the 303 and PS3. If someone else sees as difference may be the 303 might be defective.

Do all your movies have the same issue? Or just one particular movie?

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #832 of 1327 Old 11-06-2013, 11:03 AM

All the movies have the same look, no matter which format. Currently the Dune is connected via HDMI through my Yamaha RX-A3010. Maybe I try a direct connection and a different cable.

time ist what you make of it
post #833 of 1327 Old 11-07-2013, 09:05 AM

I'm a bit confused about the audio bug on the 303D. Will it play MKV with DTS fine, is it just if you rip to ISO with HD Audio? (This if ro passing through Coax/Optical output)

Will it downmix HD formats to stereo if you just plugged it directly in to a tv as well?
post #834 of 1327 Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMilne View Post

I'm a bit confused about the audio bug on the 303D. Will it play MKV with DTS fine, is it just if you rip to ISO with HD Audio? (This if ro passing through Coax/Optical output)

Will it downmix HD formats to stereo if you just plugged it directly in to a tv as well?

What audio bug?

Also, it will downmix all HD formats to 2ch stereo EXCEPT TrueHD in an mkv (you will get no sound)

Cheers,
Damian

post #835 of 1327 Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 AM

Thanks. I've read about audio dropouts from places including this review: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2013/02/07/review-dune-hd-tv303d/

"Overall I would say I have some mixed thoughts with the TV303D. On a positive note, network performance is excellent which is critical for anyone looking to stream HD content (especially Blu-ray 3D) over a network. However, there are some critical issues that need to be addressed. The most notable one is the DTS(MA) audio drop out issue. This falls squarely on the back of Sigma as they have been releasing chips with this bug for over a year. Hopefully now that Dune has a lot riding on the newer Sigma chips, they can pressure Sigma into providing a fix relatively quick."
post #836 of 1327 Old 11-07-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks. I've read about audio dropouts from places including this review: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2013/02/07/review-dune-hd-tv303d/

"Overall I would say I have some mixed thoughts with the TV303D. On a positive note, network performance is excellent which is critical for anyone looking to stream HD content (especially Blu-ray 3D) over a network. However, there are some critical issues that need to be addressed. The most notable one is the DTS(MA) audio drop out issue. This falls squarely on the back of Sigma as they have been releasing chips with this bug for over a year. Hopefully now that Dune has a lot riding on the newer Sigma chips, they can pressure Sigma into providing a fix relatively quick."

Well, I wouldn't trust anything that guy says in that review wink.gif

Actually, the dropouts have since been fixed with firmware updates, so that is no longer an issue.

The only "issues" in terms of audio is if you need multi channel decoding or if you need TrueHD in an mkv downmixed. It you pass thru your audio to an AVR you are fine. If you connect direct to a TV and need downmix you are fine (as long as you don't have TrueHD mkvs, but Blu Ray folder/ISO/m2ts/ts movies with TrueHD would work b/c they would have the embedded AC3 track)

Cheers,
Damian

post #837 of 1327 Old 11-07-2013, 10:44 AM

Sounds great Thanks!

One more question for anyone that may know, i'm looking at setting up one of these for my dad, how do you go about installing Yadis (or Zappiti i fhtat's your thing) if he doesn't have any sort of home network? I will rip his disks and set it up locally on a connected USB drive (or internal 2.5"hdd). What is the best way to do something like that?

Should i put the movies on the HDD then plug it in to my network, install a second copy of Yadis on my pc (i don't want to mess up my setup) and browse to the Dune, scrape and then export the interface back to the local/usb drive?

Or will that not work?
post #838 of 1327 Old 11-07-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sounds great Thanks!

One more question for anyone that may know, i'm looking at setting up one of these for my dad, how do you go about installing Yadis (or Zappiti i fhtat's your thing) if he doesn't have any sort of home network? I will rip his disks and set it up locally on a connected USB drive (or internal 2.5"hdd). What is the best way to do something like that?

Should i put the movies on the HDD then plug it in to my network, install a second copy of Yadis on my pc (i don't want to mess up my setup) and browse to the Dune, scrape and then export the interface back to the local/usb drive?

Or will that not work?

Yes, that will work. This is actually what I did for my Dad (I set him up with a Dune w/ internal drive at his house, used 10Muse as the Interface if I recall). You would be fine with yaDIS as well, but don't think Zappiti would work with multiple setups.
ChrisMilne likes this.

Cheers,
Damian

post #839 of 1327 Old 11-12-2013, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello,
Recently i made an head to head contest between my Dune Base 3.0 and the new Dune Base 3D.
The test was made in my dedicated HT on my 110" Da-Lite JKP Affinity 1.1, JVC X35, 9.1 Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A 3020, Lumagen Mini 3D, Darblet Darbee processor.The picture was calibrated with my X-Rite Display 3 PRO colorimeter,so everything was optimally.
I heard a lot of comments regarding the PQ between the old Dune 3.0 with the new one 3D, as being the same...nothing is more false than that.
Dune Base 3D is better in every way, picture wise,compared with my Dune Base 3.0,i didn't expect that and it was a huge surprise.
The new Dune has a better depth,sharpness,less noise in the picture,the all picture is more solid with a better separation between different plans,also the colors seems a little bit better and also the contrast.I liked very much the dimensionality on the new Base 3D,is like i was watching a 3D picture without the glasses.
I watch only at full blu-ray rips and everything i was throwing on Base 3D worked perfectly.
I didn't have any problem to send to my Yamaha in bitsteam DTS-HD Master Audio or True-HD ,all played very well (this was my main concern before this test).
The conclusion is that my new player will be Dune Base 3D and will replace my old Base 3.0
post #840 of 1327 Old 11-12-2013, 09:13 AM

Liked: 13
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

NFS is absolutely not needed...and effectively only present in WinPro, not winHome.

@L33TX43RT : check your windows sharing setup and be sure that you use 40/56bits encryption and not 128bits (default). Then share only folders and not your complete drive (right click on folder to share/share with/advanced share/share with everybody). Once done go back to your dune and try through smb browsing. If it's still empty (high chances it's empty...), then you will need to create a network shorcut to your newly shared folder. Press popup menu on your remote/create network shortcut, fill in all details and it should work (login and password if you use one, or "guest" as login and password empty).
Network shortcuts are the only way to be sure 100% that you can see you shared folders on your PC. Browsing is most of the time not working.
It shows "empty", right after SMB > Workgroup > "Computer Name" > (empty).

Do I need to map the folder to a network drive letter?What format do I need to use to manually share the folder? \\folder or just \\folder...?

Seriously, what am I doing wrong here?
Edited by L33TX43RT - 6/22/13 at 5:54pm
I'm having a very similar issue.
I have 2 shared folders on a drive (music and pictures) attached to a PC (no passwords on either).
Without doing anything special beyond the share, the pictures folder shows up in my dune HD base 3.0, but not the music folder.
So, I mapped the music folder to a drive letter hoping it would show up, but no go.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Tv303d Wifi 3d Streamer
Gear in this thread - Tv303d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page