AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
they already are...

I'm pretty sure that it will be rebadged as Zappity Player 4K for consumers.
Oh I know they are focused on the STB market currently. I meant if they were going to drop focus on the niche media player market altogether and just put their entire focus on STBs

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1298 Old 09-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
well, they can easily transform the 204 into a media player if they want. That's very cost effective as it could be just the 204 MB into a player case without changing anything else (that's already what they do with 303/Base 3D).

Then badge it Zappiti, never launch a branded Dune media player again, and give all the business risks to Zappiti (stock, end users complaints, street pricing, logistics, distribution...). They would sell it FOB to Zappiti that will have to organize the distribution worldwide. Pure B2B model, no more B2C, minimal technical support (zappiti will be front end and most problems will be reported to them, not dune anymore), no more Denass spamming their FB page I'm pretty sure that's their strategy...
post #1293 of 1298 Old 09-12-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
well, they can easily transform the 204 into a media player if they want. That's very cost effective as it could be just the 204 MB into a player case without changing anything else (that's already what they do with 303/Base 3D).

Then badge it Zappiti, never launch a branded Dune media player again, and give all the business risks to Zappiti (stock, end users complaints, street pricing, logistics, distribution...). They would sell it FOB to Zappiti that will have to organize the distribution worldwide. Pure B2B model, no more B2C, minimal technical support (zappiti will be front end and most problems will be reported to them, not dune anymore), no more Denass spamming their FB page I'm pretty sure that's their strategy...
That only works if the chipset can be used for home 4k content. If its focus is IPTV and OTT it might not be strong enough to handle true 4k content when it gets released for bluray. Also confused cause from what I remember the sigma line which supported HEVC and 4k was not supposed to even come out till q2 of 2015
post #1294 of 1298 Old 09-13-2014, 01:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

That Denass character would love to give up on spamming Dune about firmware

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #1295 of 1298 Old 09-13-2014, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
minimal technical support
First off, Thursday I took the batts out of my wdlivesmp remote & returned everything to the box (good thing I kept the box?).

I am going with my Dune 303. It is (for me) a lot closer to what I want/need.
As to the quote, I cant see how tech support could get much more (less?) minimal.
The e-mail support would be amusing if it wasent so frustrating.
Is there a 'real' op/owner/instruction manual out there??
More than the online page? They e-m'ed me a link to basicly a doc which was the o/l page as a #.doc/txt.

(to explain my "attitude", I am 67 & chroniclly hardheaded. & thickskinned!, hard to offend!

-corne-
post #1296 of 1298 Old 09-15-2014, 01:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
That only works if the chipset can be used for home 4k content. If its focus is IPTV and OTT it might not be strong enough to handle true 4k content when it gets released for bluray. Also confused cause from what I remember the sigma line which supported HEVC and 4k was not supposed to even come out till q2 of 2015
oooohh... you're 100% right !

looking closely to the dune PR you can read this :

Quote:
The Dune HD TV-204 STB supports full 1080p in HEVC
So this TV 204 might be HEVC, but only 1080p max, so no 4K (which would make sense for a pure IP STB)

In fact their PR is very misleading as they mix Sigma 87xx chipset specs (HEVC/4K) and their own TV 204 specs (HEVC/1080p) in a way that you could think that the 204 is able to do 4K... They even added this sentence
Quote:
This increase in network efficiency is critical for enabling future services including 4K TV
which in reality is completely unrelated to the 204 specs.

Last edited by Mr Eric; 09-15-2014 at 01:48 AM.
post #1297 of 1298 Old 09-15-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
oooohh... you're 100% right !

looking closely to the dune PR you can read this :

So this TV 204 might be HEVC, but only 1080p max, so no 4K (which would make sense for a pure IP STB)

In fact their PR is very misleading as they mix Sigma 87xx chipset specs (HEVC/4K) and their own TV 204 specs (HEVC/1080p) in a way that you could think that the 204 is able to do 4K... They even added this sentence
which in reality is completely unrelated to the 204 specs.
When sigma first announced the new chipset lines there were two options HEVC/1080 that was due out end of this year and then the 4k/hevc was due out q2 2015. http://www.sigmadesigns.com/news.php the articles are getting interesting even more so the turnkey solutions they are going to offer.
post #1298 of 1298 Old 09-15-2014, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 62
How do set a video to play repeatedly non stop (looping)?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Tv303d Wifi 3d Streamer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page