post #1351 of 1359 Old 11-20-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
The review I watched on you tube mentioned nothing about HD Audio bitstreaming. Can an Android device even bitstream HD audio? Also no mention of Forced Sub support.
I did pick up the OpenHour (i.e. Popcorn Hour) Chamelion which is an Android box. They are supposedly working with XBMC on a custom build which they claim once done will allow for full bitstreaming support. Likewise, I assume forced sub playback would fall back on XBMC, but I need to test out.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1359 Old 11-20-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I used to have a Dune Base unit (gifted it to a family member) and for my purposes this is how subtitles were handled (both forced and wanted full subs) since only the movie was wanted not the ISO.

Simply include ONLY the wanted sub track withing the movie. Set the player to always play subs.

What was involved was video + HD audio stream + wanted sub in the same file and nothing else.

This might not be a fit for everyone but sure makes life easier. I find that Clown is a great tool for this along with tsmuxer stand alone.

All foreign films contain English subs, all films with forced subs include only that sub in the file etc. Life is good.
post #1353 of 1359 Old 11-20-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There is a patch to get forced subs in mkvs working on the Dunes, although it gets broken in one of the last fw updates

Cheers,
Damian

post #1354 of 1359 Old 11-20-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post
I used to have a Dune Base unit (gifted it to a family member) and for my purposes this is how subtitles were handled (both forced and wanted full subs) since only the movie was wanted not the ISO.

Simply include ONLY the wanted sub track withing the movie. Set the player to always play subs.

What was involved was video + HD audio stream + wanted sub in the same file and nothing else.

This might not be a fit for everyone but sure makes life easier. I find that Clown is a great tool for this along with tsmuxer stand alone.

All foreign films contain English subs, all films with forced subs include only that sub in the file etc. Life is good.
No need to do this. The Base models handle forced subs with ease when in an ISO, ripped or full. Most want full subs on demand and forced subs to play automatically.

See post # 3 for 303D and Base 3D.

Last edited by blackssr; 11-20-2014 at 01:27 PM.
post #1355 of 1359 Old 11-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No need to do this. The Base models handle forced subs with ease when in an ISO, ripped or full. Most want full subs on demand and forced subs to play automatically.

While simply having an ISO may save time up front, you have to store all the commercials, bonus material, audio language streams, etc. It adds up quickly in terms of space/volume needed. I do agree with what you say but when you own a fairly large library of discs, archiving takes up quite a bit of space and it can add up doing simply ISO (though I admit it is tempting at times).

Take a typical popular title and figure out the ISO size then the size of the "main feature" with only the video, required audio track and a single sub. When you have over 50 movies consider the difference in the amount of space required to house the archive on the drive.

Last - with the stripped down file, you simply leave the subtitle option "ON" with Dune. Any file that has a subtitle included will play and no need to turn it on per a movie (as in the case of foreign films).
post #1356 of 1359 Old 11-20-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
I did pick up the OpenHour (i.e. Popcorn Hour) Chamelion which is an Android box. They are supposedly working with XBMC on a custom build which they claim once done will allow for full bitstreaming support. Likewise, I assume forced sub playback would fall back on XBMC, but I need to test out.

You know how well features that are promised work out don't you? If it ain't working out the gate do not get your hopes up.
post #1357 of 1359 Old 11-20-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

While simply having an ISO may save time up front, you have to store all the commercials, bonus material, audio language streams, etc. It adds up quickly in terms of space/volume needed. I do agree with what you say but when you own a fairly large library of discs, archiving takes up quite a bit of space and it can add up doing simply ISO (though I admit it is tempting at times).

Take a typical popular title and figure out the ISO size then the size of the "main feature" with only the video, required audio track and a single sub. When you have over 50 movies consider the difference in the amount of space required to house the archive on the drive.

Last - with the stripped down file, you simply leave the subtitle option "ON" with Dune. Any file that has a subtitle included will play and no need to turn it on per a movie (as in the case of foreign films).
You are missing the point. The Base plays forced subs with no issues. It has a BD license. The Base 3D doesn't so we need a work- a- around. The Dunes allow for separate internal and external subs to be played automatically as I stated in post 3. Having full subs on all the time is annoying to most people. My method solves the issue completely and allows the option to toggle full subs.

Last edited by blackssr; 11-20-2014 at 01:54 PM.
post #1358 of 1359 Old 11-20-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You know how well features that are promised work out don't you? If it ain't working out the gate do not get your hopes up.
I would be disappointed any other way

Cheers,
Damian

post #1359 of 1359 Old 11-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You are missing the point. The Base plays forced subs with no issues. It has a BD license. The Base 3D doesn't so we need a work- a- around. The Dunes allow for separate internal and external subs to be played automatically as I stated in post 3. Having full subs on all the time is annoying to most people. My method solves the issue completely and allows the option to toggle full subs.
I understand what you are saying and agreed with what you said but wanted to offer an alternative that fulfills the same need to handle subs plus the advantage of saved space. Leaving subs "on" in my scenario is not a burden but quite the opposite. Leaving subs on with your schema certainly would be a bother. Let's just say there is more than one means to an end. - Just glad people in general enjoy their Dune units and all they have to offer.

Btw, I do at times miss my Dune but my files play well with my Blu-Ray player via my NAS (and direct storage at times). I may opt for a Dune again for another room next year.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Tv303d Wifi 3d Streamer
Gear in this thread - Tv303d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page