*Official* Dune HD TV303D/ Base 3D Streamer Thread - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have a couple of Promise m500i units (14 drive RAID5 + 1 hot spare in each cabinet). I will probably be going to a RAID6 setup because IT IS VERY COMMON for 2 drives to fail nearly simultaneously and RAID 5 doesn't tolerate that.

When you have a 14 x 2TB RAID5 set totally fail you stand to lose 26.6 TB of data which takes a really really really long time to recover from backup - and lazy me, the most recent backup may be a few months old! Thus the RAID6 plans.

The reason? My theory is that once the first drive fails in a RAID5 setup, the hot spare takes over for the failing drive. While the RAID5 set is rebuilding onto the new drive ALL of the drives get a huge workout and an error on a infrequently accessed area of any of the drives has a much better chance of generating an error - thus leading to the 2nd drive failure.

I have seen this happen a few times at the office (but luckily not at home!) where we have much more data than my two little units

Just my 2 ¢

Bill

Last edited by bgoering; Yesterday at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 59
All failures I saw where using Raid 5 (or 1) so that corroborates what you say. May be Raid 6 is a more secure solution

Of course this not a rule, just a feeling based on my experience, and my experience only and that doesn't mean that using Raid is dangerous or a bad thing but not using it can make sense in some situations...
Old Today, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
All failures I saw where using Raid 5 (or 1) so that corroborates what you say. May be Raid 6 is a more secure solution

Of course this not a rule, just a feeling based on my experience, and my experience only and that doesn't mean that using Raid is dangerous or a bad thing but not using it can make sense in some situations...
I manage a LOT of storage at work. I would NEVER EVER use RAID 5, especially with the consumer level SATA drives that most people use here.

At home I have almost 30TB of movies ripped to my NAS now, my BR discs are my backup, RAID 6 + A hot spare is an insurance policy against the time it would take to re-rip 1400 discs.

Looky here!
Old Today, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Raid 5 is pretty much outdated no one runs it anymore. Even raid 6 is getting outdated with the introduction of ZFS and stuff that allows any number of parity drives and any number of hot spares. Drives are cheap so most of the time its better to just toss spares and parity drives in a system and not worry much about it.

Tags
Dune Hd Tv303d Wifi 3d Streamer
Gear in this thread - Tv303d by PriceGrabber.com