*Official* Dune HD TV303D/ Base 3D Streamer Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1298 Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I searched and did not find a dedicated thread for the Dune 303D player so I figured I would start one. I just received one and figured members could post comments here instead of the general thread about many Dune players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1298 Old 02-27-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I installed last night on my network and tested several "Ripped ISOs" and all played great. Has anyone found another work-a-round for the forced subtitle issue with the player ignoring the flag in all but MKVs? I loaded the MKV fix last night and it seemed to enable MKV sub support but my ISOs forced subs are still ignored. I no longer use my movies and have sinced switched to Zappiti and love it. I really like the feature to load Zappiti on startup. This makes for a nice clean look.
I hope the Dune Base 3.0 are updated soon to included this feature with regard to load program at start up.
post #3 of 1298 Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

I installed last night on my network and tested several "Ripped ISOs" and all played great. Has anyone found another work-a-round for the forced subtitle issue with the player ignoring the flag in all but MKVs? I loaded the MKV fix last night and it seemed to enable MKV sub support but my ISOs forced subs are still ignored. I no longer use my movies and have sinced switched to Zappiti and love it. I really like the feature to load Zappiti on startup. This makes for a nice clean look.
I hope the Dune Base 3.0 are updated soon to included this feature with regard to load program at start up.

Right now there is no support for forced subs in ISO/Folder using BD Lite. No BD Lite player supports so no idea if it is something that can actually be added

Agreed, love the auto boot into Zappiti

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #4 of 1298 Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Also, for anyone interested, here is my TV303D review:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2013/02/07/review-dune-hd-tv303d/

I just need to update it for the HD Audio fix

Cheers,
Damian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 1298 Old 02-27-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Right now there is no support for forced subs in ISO/Folder using BD Lite. No BD Lite player supports so no idea if it is something that can actually be added

Agreed, love the auto boot into Zappiti

I was wondering if the developers could make a memory function feature similar to the zoom memory feature.
For example:
On District 9 my forced track is track number 1. If I enabled it, maybe the developers could make a "memory feature" to remember that on District 9 I want to play sub track number # 1. This would solve quite a few of problems with regards to the sub issue. My Pioneer Elite DVD changer had a similar feature that would remember which audio track I wanted to play on DVD and autoplay that track when I played the movie.
post #6 of 1298 Old 02-27-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, for anyone interested, here is my TV303D review:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2013/02/07/review-dune-hd-tv303d/

I just need to update it for the HD Audio fix

I noticed on your review you had issues with downmix of TrueHD to 2 channel stereo. I tested "30 Days of Night" and it played 2 channel to my Denon. I agree that multi channel PCM failed but 2 channel seemed to work OK. HD bitstreaming worked perfectly on all my movies as did 5.1 toslink. I am on firmware beta 5 I believe with sub fix.
post #7 of 1298 Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I noticed on your review you had issues with downmix of TrueHD to 2 channel stereo. I tested "30 Days of Night" and it played 2 channel to my Denon. I agree that multi channel PCM failed but 2 channel seemed to work OK. HD bitstreaming worked perfectly on all my movies as did 5.1 toslink. I am on firmware beta 5 I believe with sub fix.

What format? The issue is only with TrueHD mkvs, the Dune cannot decode TrueHD. If it is a Blu ray rip (ISO/Folder) the Dune will grab the embedded AC3 track which is why you would get downmix (but once you go to mkv you lose that track)

Cheers,
Damian

post #8 of 1298 Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What format? The issue is only with TrueHD mkvs, the Dune cannot decode TrueHD. If it is a Blu ray rip (ISO/Folder) the Dune will grab the embedded AC3 track which is why you would get downmix (but once you go to mkv you lose that track)

" Ripped ISO" single m2ts.
Gotcha! Thanks
post #9 of 1298 Old 02-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I searched and did not find a dedicated thread for the Dune 303D player so I figured I would start one. I just received one and figured members could post comments here instead of the general thread about many Dune players.

Good idea, the main topic is becoming a bit complicated to follow. But you should add the base 3D to your title as it's basically the same product in a different form factor wink.gif
post #10 of 1298 Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

Good idea, the main topic is becoming a bit complicated to follow. But you should add the base 3D to your title as it's basically the same product in a different form factor wink.gif

Good Idea, agree as well

Cheers,
Damian

post #11 of 1298 Old 02-27-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have spent only a short time with the player so far but I see the following issues that need addressing ASAP.

1) Seamless branching issue with playback. ( I am not affected due the way I rip and create a single m2ts file)
2) Force subs not working on any format other than MKV. Major pain in the ass.

I have been a Dune user since day one and have always believed that they were to "go to guys" for a working and stable player. I hope these issues are resolved quickly as not to impact how they are going to be viewed in the future for diehards like myself and others.

I did notice the player is faster with regard to menu speed and the gb lan is working. I get read speeds close to 40 MB/sec verses 11 MB/sec on the Base 3.0s that I have.
post #12 of 1298 Old 02-27-2013, 06:39 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I have spent only a short time with the player so far but I see the following issues that need addressing ASAP.

1) Seamless branching issue with playback. ( I am not affected due the way I rip and create a single m2ts file)
2) Force subs not working on any format other than MKV. Major pain in the ass.

I have been a Dune user since day one and have always believed that they were to "go to guys" for a working and stable player. I hope these issues are resolved quickly as not to impact how they are going to be viewed in the future for diehards like myself and others.

I did notice the player is faster with regard to menu speed and the gb lan is working. I get read speeds close to 40 MB/sec verses 11 MB/sec on the Base 3.0s that I have.

I'm with you on this but I'm not holding my breath that either issue gets fixed. Like yourself I have my movies ripped as movie-only ISOs. Unfortunately my seamless branching titles are not ripped to a single file so I'm even worse off. So instead of going with the new players I bought a couple of D1s as spares just in case either of my existing Dunes fail.

Depending on how many blu-rays you have ripped one solution if you really want to move to using this new Dune is to convert those with forced subs (if you know which ones have them) to MKV and leave the rest as is. The tough part would be figuring out which of your existing titles have forced subtitles but going forward you could just rip to MKV which takes care of both forced subs and seamless branching.
post #13 of 1298 Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

I'm with you on this but I'm not holding my breath that either issue gets fixed. Like yourself I have my movies ripped as movie-only ISOs. Unfortunately my seamless branching titles are not ripped to a single file so I'm even worse off. So instead of going with the new players I bought a couple of D1s as spares just in case either of my existing Dunes fail.

Depending on how many blu-rays you have ripped one solution if you really want to move to using this new Dune is to convert those with forced subs (if you know which ones have them) to MKV and leave the rest as is. The tough part would be figuring out which of your existing titles have forced subtitles but going forward you could just rip to MKV which takes care of both forced subs and seamless branching.

I found a quick and easy work- a- round for the forced sub issue. I /created/inserted an .srt file of forced subs in the folder with my ISO of District 9. I enabled auto subs/ external only on the Dune setup playback screen and tested. The forced subs came on automatically based on the time stamp in the .srt file. Internal subs were ignored but could be toggled with the remote as with any previous Dune player. This an easy method for guys that run either full or ripped ISOs with regard to forced subs.

Last year I converted all 900+ movies in my collection to 4 gig MP4s to play on my tablets. I had to create/find .srt files of all forced subs for all movies that had them. This was required to burn the forced subs into the Mp4 video so that I didn't have to deal with the forced issue again on my mobile devices. I do not remember if I saved the actual .srt files or not.( Sure I hope I did, If not I will have to re-create a list). If I still have them, I will share with forum members. This will accomplish two things:
1) We will have a list of what movies had forced titles
2) More important the actually .srt file required to enable force titles on these problem players.

To all you DVD FAB users. Does this program have the ability to create an extra .srt file when creating an ISO or main movie ISO based on the force flags in the m2ts stream? ClownBD only creates a .sub file. This .sub file needs to be converted to an .srt file which is time consuming.
post #14 of 1298 Old 02-28-2013, 02:22 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I found a quick and easy work- a- round for the forced sub issue. I /created/inserted an .srt file of forced subs in the folder with my ISO of District 9. I enabled auto subs/ external only on the Dune setup playback screen and tested. The forced subs came on automatically based on the time stamp in the .srt file. Internal subs were ignored but could be be toggled with the remote as with any previous Dune player. This an easy method for guys that run either full or ripped ISOs with regard to forced subs.

Last year I converted all 900+ movies in my collection to 4 gig MP4s to play on my tablets. I had to create/find .srt files of all forced subs for all movies that had them. This was required to burn the forced subs into the Mp4 video so that I didn't have to deal with the forced issue again on my mobile devices. I do not remember if I saved the actual .srt files or not.( Sure I hope I did, If not I will have to re-create a list). If I still have them, I will share with forum members. This will accomplish two things:
1) We will have a list of what movies had forced titles
2) More important the actually .srt file required to enable force titles on these problem players.

To all you DVD FAB users. Does this program have the ability to create an extra .srt file when creating an ISO or main movie ISO based on the force flags in the m2ts stream? ClownBD only creates a .sub file. This .sub file needs to be converted to an .srt file which is time consuming.

A database of blu-ray's with forced subs would help a lot of users. I would be willing to either do as you have done or convert my movies that have forced subtitles to MKV if I knew which titles were affected but I certainly don't want to convert my whole collection. I give you credit for having the stamina to re-rip 900 titles to MP4s.

BTW, I'm not sure if DVDFab can do what you want it to concerning srt files but it could have saved you a bit of time with your MP4s (I probably shouldn't mention it at this point but just in case it saves someone else some legwork in the future) as it has the ability to burn in only forced subtitles into your video when creating an MP4 either directly from a blu-ray or an ISO/BDMV file.
post #15 of 1298 Old 02-28-2013, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

A database of blu-ray's with forced subs would help a lot of users. I would be willing to either do as you have done or convert my movies that have forced subtitles to MKV if I knew which titles were affected but I certainly don't want to convert my whole collection. I give you credit for having the stamina to re-rip 900 titles to MP4s.

It's already being done. Seems like this is kept pretty up to date

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkGO8UqErL6idDhYYjg1ZXlORnRaM3ZhTks4Z3FrYlE&usp=sharing
farkem likes this.
post #16 of 1298 Old 02-28-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, I'm not sure if DVDFab can do what you want it to concerning srt files but it could have saved you a bit of time with your MP4s (I probably shouldn't mention it at this point but just in case it saves someone else some legwork in the future) as it has the ability to burn in only forced subtitles into your video when creating an MP4 either directly from a blu-ray or an ISO/BDMV file.

Can DVD Fab burn forced titles when dealing main movies only ISOs? I may download the demo and give a try. I have been using anydvd for so long I never had a reason to cheat on her :-)
post #17 of 1298 Old 02-28-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoddard View Post

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkGO8UqErL6idDhYYjg1ZXlORnRaM3ZhTks4Z3FrYlE&usp=sharing

List but not a place to download the actual .srt file? If members contribute .srt files we can all benefit. The only question is where to store them?
post #18 of 1298 Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I guess the DTS HDMA audio dropout is fully fixed in TV30-3D model? What's the firmware for that?

I've heard someone saying that Sigma players have better video and audio quality that Realtek players. Is it true? I'm having an old Realtek 1073DD player. Is there any audio quality difference if it's bitstream passthrough? If there is, I think I'm planning to make a jump to Dune.

I've also read that the new WDTV Play support pass through of DTS HD MA too. Any reason to buy the Dune which cost double?
post #19 of 1298 Old 03-01-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

I guess the DTS HDMA audio dropout is fully fixed in TV30-3D model? What's the firmware for that?

I've heard someone saying that Sigma players have better video and audio quality that Realtek players. Is it true? I'm having an old Realtek 1073DD player. Is there any audio quality difference if it's bitstream passthrough? If there is, I think I'm planning to make a jump to Dune.

I've also read that the new WDTV Play support pass through of DTS HD MA too. Any reason to buy the Dune which cost double?

Using the latest beta fw the DTSMA bug appears fixed

I remember with the older Realtek players Sigma PQ was definitely better. The newer ones though seem to be more on par with.

Hard to say on WD TV, I don't see anywhere on the specs where it lists HD Audio support. It probably really depends on what type of files you play back (i.e Blu ray rips, 3D, etc...). For me at least I see the WD TV as more of an online content player

Cheers,
Damian

post #20 of 1298 Old 03-01-2013, 09:25 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can DVD Fab burn forced titles when dealing main movies only ISOs? I may download the demo and give a try. I have been using anydvd for so long I never had a reason to cheat on her :-)

Unfortunately no.

You can however use the BD Ripper module in DVDFab to rip to an MKV but in order to burn subtitles into the video you have to re-encode the video so it will no longer be lossless. If you use Fab just to remux the video into an MKV you can still have it produce just the forced subtitles but it will put them into a 1080p SUB/IDX format which Dune players don't support.

If your looking to convert your ISOs for forced subtitle support with your new Dune player I've successfully reauthored some of my movie-only ISOs into MKVs using MakeMkv and choosing the option to create a separate forced subtitle track. I then used MKVMerge header editor to enable the forced flag so the Dune can read it and turn on the forced subtitltes where necessary. Although I've had good luck with MakeMkv I haven't done very many (more of a test really) and others such as dbone have noted experiencing some issues so you may want to approach using MakeMkv with caution. On a plus side it converted my movie-only ISOs super quick and header editor in MKVMerge takes all of 10 seconds to use thereafter.
farkem likes this.
post #21 of 1298 Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoddard View Post

Thanks for the link. If not too many of my titles are on this list and I don't have too many with seamless branching I may just convert those titles to MKV and then start ripping all future titles to MKV instead. However, I think before I go done that road I'm going to wait for HDI to support mvc in mkv otherwise I think I'll be okay with my legacy Dune players and my backup Dune players.
post #22 of 1298 Old 03-01-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Using the latest beta fw the DTSMA bug appears fixed
Is the update done directly on the player through the internet? OR can it be done offline through USB?
Quote:

I remember with the older Realtek players Sigma PQ was definitely better. The newer ones though seem to be more on par with.
How about audio quality?
Quote:

Hard to say on WD TV, I don't see anywhere on the specs where it lists HD Audio support. It probably really depends on what type of files you play back (i.e Blu ray rips, 3D, etc...). For me at least I see the WD TV as more of an online content player
It's weird that the Dune website didn't list HD Audio support in the spec sheet too. I'm worried that Dune might drop the HD Audio support anytime in the future.
post #23 of 1298 Old 03-01-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Is the update done directly on the player through the internet? OR can it be done offline through USB?
How about audio quality?
It's weird that the Dune website didn't list HD Audio support in the spec sheet too. I'm worried that Dune might drop the HD Audio support anytime in the future.

Online or via USB.

As far as Audio I really only bitstream so there should be no audio difference

Yeah, not sure why they didn't list for the TV303D unless maybe to put more focus on the base3d. You don't have to update fw and can always revert back if for whatever reason they change

Cheers,
Damian

post #24 of 1298 Old 03-01-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Online or via USB.

As far as Audio I really only bitstream so there should be no audio difference

Yeah, not sure why they didn't list for the TV303D unless maybe to put more focus on the base3d. You don't have to update fw and can always revert back if for whatever reason they change
Perhaps due to licence issue (like the WDTV Play). If the player can internally decode the HD Audio, the manufacturer will advertise it in the spec sheet. If it cannot decode to LPCM, but able to passthrough HD Audio, it'll not be mentioned at all. In my opinion, Dune should mention it as there are many users out there who have AVR and only deal with passthrough.
post #25 of 1298 Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I have a 303 and zappiti player - seem to work well but im having to use yadis... anyone else have issues with zapiti running on windows 8?

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
post #26 of 1298 Old 03-06-2013, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

quickly tried zappiti on my win8 64bits last week. Didn't have any problem except the music part which takes hours to run...

That's the first time i was trying a recent zappiti build, and TBH the scrapping speed if faaaaarrr away from yadis. eek.gif
post #27 of 1298 Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

That's the first time i was trying a recent zappiti build, and TBH the scrapping speed if faaaaarrr away from yadis. eek.gif
Do you mean that yadis is faster or slower than zappiti? I've never gotten zappiti to update on my Win7 box, but won't waste the time to try to fix it if it's slower.

Visit the

2.0 done and finally posted! - 

And now...
post #28 of 1298 Old 03-06-2013, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

yadis is much faster than zappiti. A full scrape is about 30/40 minutes (from scratch, with 0 fanart/data at start) and exporting a full database to the dune is something like 15/20 minutes max for my 250+ movies (but on this part I guess that my powerline network is slowing down the process). A simple export when adding a few movies or a bunch of TV episodes is 2/3 minutes max.
post #29 of 1298 Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Im using yadis as zappiti isn't working. There are a couple films it refuses to get info for and a couple of films that lose their settings each time I run the app.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
post #30 of 1298 Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Most of the time this is due to a windows permission problem. Try to move your file to another folder/share and see if this solve the problem.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Tv303d Wifi 3d Streamer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page