Anyway around the 'seamless branching' problems of the newest streamers? What about the Dune streamers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 02-27-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking into purchasing a couple of media streamers for a client of mine and I have been nosing around in here for a while. From what I understand (could be wrong!) there aren't any 'current' streamers that can handle 'seamless branching' Blu Ray playback. Is that correct?

I was leaning toward the PCH 300 stuff but it sound like they still have audio problems with the high-end lossless audio.

He could probably live without full BD menus with the new players but he can't live with the seamless branching problems. Kind of defeats the whole purpose!

If I suggest he go with the one of the Dune Smarts is there any trouble with audio and/or seamless branching? Full menus with those right? Maybe still has seamless branching problems if you use the 'lite' menus? Pretty big bucks for an old streamer but not sure I see anything better....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-27-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Only way, either stick with Dune Smarts / PCH A300/200 / Netgrear, or switch to mkv. Otherwise right now no fix with seamless branch using BD Lite

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #3 of 20 Old 02-27-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Only way, either stick with Dune Smarts / PCH A300/200 / Netgrear, or switch to mkv. Otherwise right now no fix with seamless branch using BD Lite

Thanks!

So with 'Smarts' using full menus there isn't any trouble with seamless branch but I assume using the BD lite the trouble is there.

From what I've ready it sounds like the A300 still has audio issues with Dolby HD right? How about the 200? That one ok with the uncompressed audio?

Thanks again!
post #4 of 20 Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Yes if you try to play a seamless branching title using bd lite on a smart you get the audio drop outs (no problem when played normally).

The only workaround today is to rip as one m2ts.

Dune said this is their next priority for a firmware update but apparently this is not easy to solve...
post #5 of 20 Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike greer View Post

Thanks!

So with 'Smarts' using full menus there isn't any trouble with seamless branch but I assume using the BD lite the trouble is there.

From what I've ready it sounds like the A300 still has audio issues with Dolby HD right? How about the 200? That one ok with the uncompressed audio?

Thanks again!

Correct on the Smarts.

The A300 still has the HD Audio bug with DTSMA. The 200 series does not have the bug

Cheers,
Damian

post #6 of 20 Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks much guys - looks like an A200 or one the Smarts is the answer. Pretty crazy that none of the newer stuff can handle the seamless branch titles. Maybe even harder to believe the HD audio bug with the popular A300!

Thanks again.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-28-2013, 04:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike greer View Post

Thanks much guys - looks like an A200 or one the Smarts is the answer. Pretty crazy that none of the newer stuff can handle the seamless branch titles. Maybe even harder to believe the HD audio bug with the popular A300!

Thanks again.

IMO Syabas quickly moved on to the A400 development and basically screwed the 300 customers.

Cheers,
Damian

post #8 of 20 Old 05-18-2015, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
John Wick

I am having the Audio dropout issue with the John Wick BR disk. The equipment is a Dune HD MAX. I rip the disk to mkv ending up with a single file (I think, it is a single file on the PC, but mkv is a "container"). I still get audio dropouts which are quite annoying. It only occurs is I am playing the TrueHD track, it does not occur with the Dolby 5.1. The MPLS I rip is 00589 which appears as title 174 in MakeMKV. I am running the latest firmware on the Dune and for makeMKV.

Any advice/help appreciated.
post #9 of 20 Old 05-18-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post
I am having the Audio dropout issue with the John Wick BR disk. The equipment is a Dune HD MAX. I rip the disk to mkv ending up with a single file (I think, it is a single file on the PC, but mkv is a "container"). I still get audio dropouts which are quite annoying. It only occurs is I am playing the TrueHD track, it does not occur with the Dolby 5.1. The MPLS I rip is 00589 which appears as title 174 in MakeMKV. I am running the latest firmware on the Dune and for makeMKV.

Any advice/help appreciated.
Does the audio dropout happen at the same point in the movie? If so that could indicate an issue with the rip.

I did watch John Wick on my Dune BD Prime (mkv) and had no issues with audio dropouts.

Cheers,
Damian

post #10 of 20 Old 05-18-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
Does the audio dropout happen at the same point in the movie? If so that could indicate an issue with the rip.

I did watch John Wick on my Dune BD Prime (mkv) and had no issues with audio dropouts.
Dropouts always occur at the same spots. I suspect it might be the rip, but have ripped it many times. Which mpls are you using?
post #11 of 20 Old 05-18-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Dropouts always occur at the same spots. I suspect it might be the rip, but have ripped it many times. Which mpls are you using?
Honestly no clue what mpls I chose since I ripped it a while ago when it first came out. What program are you using the create the mkv, MakeMKV?

Cheers,
Damian

post #12 of 20 Old 05-18-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I am using MakeMKV version 1.9.2. I always use MakeMKV to rip my disks (DVD and BR). What confuses me is that seamless branching issues should disappear with an mkv rip as the individual mpls segments are chosen and merged into a single seamless file as I understand it when the disk is ripped. Unless there is something wrong with makeMKV 1.9.2 on making the mkv. I have sent all the necessary info to the Makemkv team. I have both a Dune player and a full version of Kodi. I need to try it with Kodi as the player.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-18-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I am using MakeMKV version 1.9.2. I always use MakeMKV to rip my disks (DVD and BR). What confuses me is that seamless branching issues should disappear with an mkv rip as the individual mpls segments are chosen and merged into a single seamless file as I understand it when the disk is ripped. Unless there is something wrong with makeMKV 1.9.2 on making the mkv. I have sent all the necessary info to the Makemkv team. I have both a Dune player and a full version of Kodi. I need to try it with Kodi as the player.
I typically use CLownBD + MKVMerge but with TrueHD discs (such as John Wick) I use MakeMKV. I believe John Wick is Dolby Atmos so maybe something is going on there (I assume you are passing through audio?). I think with my BD Prime I have it set up to decode to LPCM (It used to be set up ass pass thru but something got messed up with the BD Prime where it wasn't passing thru properly). Since it can do a full decode I should get the same result.

Cheers,
Damian

post #14 of 20 Old 05-18-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

The disk plays back fine if I set the Dune player to do PCM instead of bitstream. The disk plays fine using Kodi on an RPi2, but Kodi does send out PCM. Perhaps the problem is with the decoder in the Anthem AVP 50v. Browsing the web says the problem is seamless branching and not TrueHD+atmos. My copy of Lucy, which I think has Atmos, also plays fine as bitstream. I just cannot figure out what it is.

Oh well I have multiple alternatives so I can play the disk without issue.

Thanks for the assistance.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-19-2015, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I have a Micca Media Player and surprising it deals with file better than a lot of other players I've tried. That said I found that ALL of my players (as well as some I've tried / return) have no issues whatsoever with MKV files but some did have issues with ISO Files.

I currently have a Mede8er MED600x3D and LOVE it, It supports all of the HD Audio Formats including Atmos.

The only drawback for some is that you will not have the Blu Ray Menus. I personally don't care / don't want the Gigabytes of additional stuff on my network but understand that some do. I've been told the PCH and Dune players don't have any issues with the Menus but not sure what file format you would have to use. I am assuming ISO?

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #16 of 20 Old 05-19-2015, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe that is correct, ISO to get the full BD experience with Menus.
post #17 of 20 Old 05-19-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 59
ISO or BDVM (BR folder structure).
post #18 of 20 Old 05-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Can a Nuc, Raspbery pi2 with Kodi/Openelec handle it?
post #19 of 20 Old 05-19-2015, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, that does play properly on that configuration because Kodi convrts it to pcm (decodes it) prior to sending it to the AVP
post #20 of 20 Old 05-19-2015, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My Dune Prime 3.0 works just fine with John Wick as an .iso file.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page