Moca adapters setup question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-28-2013, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all -

I have already gone through few threads on Moca but unable to find answer to my question. I hope someone can help me on this.

I recently bought Actiontec Moca adapter kit ECB2500CK01.

I understand the setup instructions for this device but it seems like I have a problem. I have cable provider's modem hooked up to my coax connection (Only one coax in that room) and then from modem I have ethernet cable going to my wireless router.

So my setup:

Wall Coax -> Cable Provider's 2 way Splitter -> one connection to TV and one to Modem.

From Modem -> Wireless Router.

Now as per the instructions of Moca adapter settings, I need to connect one adapter to wireless router via Ethernet and to coax connection via Coax cable.

Now as I mentioned I only have one Coax connection in that room so I have no other coax hookup for Moca.

How can I manage to connection to Moca adapter in this case? Can I use some kind of 2 way splitter to split the cable where one can go to modem and one can go to Moca?

Let me know if this is possible and if yes what kind of splitter will be the most appropriate in this situation.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 AM

Ok I have Comcast and setup my ECB2500 that supplies MoCA to my house as follows.

Cable from Comcast → MoCA adapter coax in → MoCA adapter coax out → Cable modem

For your setup, since you have to have the ECB2500 near the modem and router, I would recommend you keep the tv connected the way it is on the splitter and just put the coax that was going into the router into the adapter instead, and the coax going out from the adapter going into the modem.

..........................................................................tv coax in
Cable from your cable provider → two way splitter
.........................................................................MoCA adapter coax in → MoCA adapter coax out → Cable modem coax in → Cable modem Ethernet out → Router WAN in

This is done because the ECB2500 filters the MoCA signal out on it’s coax out so shouldn’t interfere with cable modem operation.

Now regarding splitters, I’ve been using Antronix 5MHz to 1001MHz (1GHz) splitters without any problem, but generally look for splitters with a range up to 2500MHz or so.

Something else to consider is a point of entry filter which will keep your MoCA network isolated from leaving your house so other people who may also have a MoCA network can’t access it. Here is a good video series to watch explaining all of MoCA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7yknwV1YME and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMhe9EoDp4Y

Where a MoCA point of entry (POE) filter would be placed would be at is before the first splitter from your service provider.

............................................................................................tv coax in
.........................................................................................
Cable from your cable provider → POE filter → two way splitter
.........................................................................................
...........................................................................................MoCA adapter coax in → MoCA adapter coax out → Cable modem coax in → Cable modem Ethernet out → Router WAN in

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its associated companies.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-28-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 38

I agree with Mike's connection path, it's the correct way to do it.  Don't forget the POE filter, it's important if you don't want your network connection feeding the neighbors house.

I would just add that you must have an Ethernet return from your router back to the MoCA adapter to complete the network.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-28-2013, 11:48 AM

Liked: 22
The best way to do it is to put the MoCA converter where the cable comes into your home, and use it to feed the cable signal to the home. You want to avoid hooking up the MoCA adapter the wrong way, filters or not. Also, 900-1000MHz splitters are fine if you're not running a satellite box over the same coax.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-17-2013, 08:31 AM

I am getting ready to purchase a couple of Actiontec E2500 MoCA adapters as well and wanted to run my proposed plan by everyone for opinions or other recommendations to give me the best setup. After reading this post I wonder if I even need the diplexers since these already filter out the MoCA signals? Thank you for your help.
MoCA Network Plan2.jpg 207k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MoCA Network Plan2.jpg (206.6 KB, 34 views)
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page