OUYA and XBMC and competition? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-02-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I recently bought a WD My Book Live and started ripping BluRays with Pavtube Byte copy. I was using XBMC on my highend gaming system to run XBMC. That's probalby not the best things so I saw that XBMC is going to work on the OUYA. However, that doesn't come out until June. Is there anything similar on the market other than building my own small HTPC? That will still cost 3-4 time that of the OUYA though.

Also, just ordered a Synology NAS and 4, 3TB HDDs becuase I quickly learned how fast I am running out of drive space. :-)

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Pivos XIOS DS is what your looking for, probably better than the Ouya too as it will be bound by the limitations of Android.

The XIOS runs Android too but it has XBMC linux only firmware for it which runs a lot better than Android & actual XBMC developers working on it, XBMC running on the Ouya is really just a by-product of the porting to Android work done for the XIOS.

Keep in mind the XIOS is a low end device akin to the AppleTV2 running XBMC but with more video support and not having to jailbreak, don't expect it to run as fast as a high end PC.

HDI Dune also have a high end XBMC set top box in development if after something akin to a HTPC but this will cost a lot more.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you want XBMC for a cheap price, the XIOS is probably your best bet. The Android fork of XBMC isn't ready for regular use, IMO. That being said, neither was the Linux XBMC port on the XIOS, although it's better than the android version. Hardlocks and audio dropouts were common, and it doesn't really have the horsepower to do scans of medium-large collections.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would expect the Android version to get a little better the way that OUYA and XBMC tout their relationship. Threen former XBMC people are working with OUYA in the development.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #5 of 11 Old 03-06-2013, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Isn't Dolby or DTS licensing an issue with Android also?
post #6 of 11 Old 03-06-2013, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

I would expect the Android version to get a little better the way that OUYA and XBMC tout their relationship. Threen former XBMC people are working with OUYA in the development.

Don't expect too much, the libstagefright versions of XBMC for Android are still experimental, without that Android/XBMC cant hardware decode the media, if they aren't going through libstagefright then they have to cook up a hardware decoding API provided by Ouya/Nvidia which will require a ton of debugging which is exactly what's been happening with the Pivos XIOS only it has a huge head start.

Also Android does not come with licenses for Dolby AC3 or DTS audio they must be purchased and integrated into the OS to decode and pass-through those audio formats. If Ouya don't licenses those then well playback through XBMC wont be so good, (XIOS is licensed for those).
post #7 of 11 Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

Don't expect too much, the libstagefright versions of XBMC for Android are still experimental, without that Android/XBMC cant hardware decode the media, if they aren't going through libstagefright then they have to cook up a hardware decoding API provided by Ouya/Nvidia which will require a ton of debugging which is exactly what's been happening with the Pivos XIOS only it has a huge head start.

Also Android does not come with licenses for Dolby AC3 or DTS audio they must be purchased and integrated into the OS to decode and pass-through those audio formats. If Ouya don't licenses those then well playback through XBMC wont be so good, (XIOS is licensed for those).

Right now I am using my gaming PC to run XBMC. Maybe a little overkill with a 3570K overclocked to 4200, Radeon 7950 and 16GB of RAM. I have been debating whether to build a cheap HTPC. I have an old Core 2 Quad 8300 MB and RAM I don't care about looks, it will be tucked in a closet. Also been debating on a AMD Fusion based build. Don't know how the 8300 would compair to an A6-5400,

Lowell

post #8 of 11 Old 03-07-2013, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

Right now I am using my gaming PC to run XBMC. Maybe a little overkill with a 3570K overclocked to 4200, Radeon 7950 and 16GB of RAM. I have been debating whether to build a cheap HTPC. I have an old Core 2 Quad 8300 MB and RAM I don't care about looks, it will be tucked in a closet. Also been debating on a AMD Fusion based build. Don't know how the 8300 would compair to an A6-5400,

Ultimately all the PC solutions are the same, the video is offloaded to the hardware decoders on the graphics card, performance is no longer an issue even on the most low end PC hardware.

Another option is there are a commercial NAS now coming equipped with XBMC, Thecus just announced a new one which has HDMI and optical audio outputs based off the new Intel Atom CE5315 chip. Combines everything into something you can stick in closest with tons of storage & better performance than Arm based XBMC devices. Though given how new this is, I'd check the Thecus forums for more info.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
XBMC running on the Ouya, with Aeon Nox at the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QB-H4j9hfLE
post #10 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM

I could have put up a 1 minute video of the Pivos that looked good too. It wouldn't have shown the hard locks, slow library updates, stuttering, or audio dropout though.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-08-2013, 04:26 PM

Ordered a raspberry pi to load it with either open elec or raspxbmc. Dont want to spend $100 for xios, because I already have a wdtv smp. But I like the jukebox support in xbmc. Worst case if the rasp pi doesnt work, I might use it as nas.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page