I'm lost. Someone tell me what to buy please. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-02-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking for a new media streamer. Been doing some research but I am struggling to find the right one, My requirements are just mkv playback, hd audio output, and a cool interface. I already own 2 wdtv lives, 2 apple tvs, and a roku player on other tvs. I don't need any app support on this device but I wouldn't rule something out if it had it. Files are stored on an external hard drive hooked up to my AirPort Extreme,

I had an htpc but want something similar, it was also out of date and couldn't handle he audio. I like the simplicity of the wdtv live units but wish they had a cooler interface with movie and tv show data rather than just seeing file names. Looking for something as bug free as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-03-2013, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Sigma and Realtek based media players don't have a GPU so they really can't do cool interfaces all that well.

Boxes that do have a GPU are Boxee Box (discontinued) , Android TV, AppleTV, Roku, GoogleTV and game consoles, only one of those almost meets your criteria which is the Pivos XIOS DS and is an XBMC based set top box, you can ignore the Android side of it and just get the XBMC-Linux firmware for best performance and increased stability however it is still beta so there are bugs and HD audio bitstreaming is not supported but on the to do list.

Boxee Box - no longer supported and HD bitstreaming never worked in the first place
GoogleTV/Roku - no HD audio bitstreaming and Plex is really the only solution here but Plex needs Plex server running which Airport Extreme cannot provide.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-03-2013, 05:19 AM
bk

Liked: 10
WD Live SMP has a movie gallery view that shows a wall of cover art thumbnails, and you can select to view either large (9/page) or small (12/page) thumbnails.

I have two SMP's and use them exclusively to view MKV's stored in NAS, and have few if any issues.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-03-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 263
well 1st things 1st we need to know your budget that way we can suggest something for you that wont break it....There are more than a few that will display Movie\TV\Music coverart at varying price points...
post #5 of 5 Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 AM

Liked: 14
Check out B-Rad's customer WDTV firmware. It allows you to customize the look and feel of the interface and offers a lot of options. I have it running on my parent's WDTV Plus.

http://b-rad.cc/wdlxtv/

Cheers,
FTL
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page