itunes driving me up the wall - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-04-2013, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just can't get my head around it, just can't.
Why in the world can't I simply drag and drop a couple of mp3s to my iphone like a normal phone?
You have to use itunes.
Ok so I installed it dragged and dropped a single song from my nas into its library.
Fortunately this is just a link so no eating up space on the laptop.
Then synced with iphone over wifi, slow but can't complain.
So far so good.
The problem is when I was at my desktop pc and wanted to add another mp3.
I had to install itunes all over again and authorize a 2nd computer (out of 5) and then it wanted to delete my existing mp3 to add the new one!
I mean who writes this software?
I thought this was not going to work so proceeded to install itunes server on my nas as to have a "central itunes whatever", share that hoping it would allow me to drag and drop mp3s to my iphone.
I can see the mp3s, I can see the iphone but no way to drag and drop songs.
What am I doing wrong or is this the worst thought out software.
How can I copy mp3s from my nas through different computers without having a copy of the mp3s anywhere but the nas and iphone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Welcome to Appletopia.

It's been a while since I messed around with this but store the iTunes library for the laptop on the NAS and then point iTunes on the desktop to that library. You have to hold down shift, alt or something like that when launching iTunes so you can select the other Library.

There's another step to get your library on the NAS, google will be your friend. One issue with this is if the NAS isn't awake when launching iTunes it will error out and you'll need to relaunch which gets annoying.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-05-2013, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can't get to grips with this. Several hours later uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes and starting over.
First things first. I am trying to offload my library to nas so went to Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> iTunes media folder location and set \\DISKSTATION\music (nas is awake and well)
Now under Library -> Music there are two massive buttons Go to the iTunes store and scan for media, Scan for Media does nothing and I cannot see any songs anywhere.
Crapiest software ever or I am just too dumb to use it?
Any help appreciated.

EDIT: I did it. I went to File -> Add Folder to Library and it has started adding songs, albeit slowly but at least I am getting somewhere.

EDIT2: Just deleted a song from nas but iTunes still showing it. Where is the refresh button? f5 doesn't work. Please don't tell me I have to delete all songs and re-add the whole collection every time I add a single song, rename or delete a file? Surely I must be missing something.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-05-2013, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Be careful of what you say about Apple...you could get attacked! I felt your pain in the past, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to add a song. Drag and drop just didn't work. I had to play around with it for an hour till I got it copied over....no more apple anything for me ever again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page