Home Media Distribution - Dune D1 Based installation. - - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Couple questions:

First some details. I have done my share of reading on this site and the UK equivalent.. I want to set up a system where I can distribute DVD/Bluray to several locations in my apartment. I have a separate music distribution system, so I don't care about the ability to distribute music, just DVD/bluray videos. I should note that I don't care about 3D.

I currently have a Buffalo Tech 12TB NAS, though recently it has been giving me a lot of issues. So I am thinking I will add a Sysology RS812+. I like this option, given its low noise level. My apartment is currently wired with cat5e and I have a gigabit managed switch.

I am struggling with what scraper I need and if there is product out there that has an embedded scraper. I also want something that is perfect for the wife that is not technically inclined but will call you at 2 AM, on the other side of the world, asking why the movies won't work... I think the Dune D1. However, for my needs, is the PCH 400 stable enough to be a valid competitor? I am only using HDMI, so is there any benefit to the Dune HD Max? Will any of these platforms play Ultraviolet copies?

Any advice would be great.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The A400 is not stable enough for your type of use yet,

Explain your usage a little bit better, how many units are you going to get and are you playing ISO files, bdmv folders or mkv files?

The only system with an internal jukebox is the PCH boxes being teh 200/300/400 series, But you can setup something like mymovies, that works with dune/pch/mede8er to build your jukebox on the pc for you without much hassle.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thank you for the response.

I am going to get three units.

I have ripped maybe 30 or files using and its been both. I have used makemymkv. Though I will say that DVD Fab seems a more stable and complete product, which rips to ISO. To answer your question, I really don't have a preference. Courtesy of an ill timed and spectacular failure of my NAS and its unwillingness to stabilize, I stopped my ripping efforts for now. With that, I should note that I am not really interested in the "special features" and I don't need subtitles. I do however want the highest quality audio.

Too bad on the A400. Seems like its become a war of words between PCH and Sigma, as who is too blame?

Thank you