*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 138Likes

Old 10-07-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The TiVo fees are 0 if you pay a ridiculous amount of money for a lifetime membership and that's only per box and not per account like on a tablo. And plex is free. You don't have to have a membership. I also want better codec support for less transcoding and I want hd audio support, something the TiVo doesn't have. So it offers me nothing but a ota dvr which my tablo does. I have a TiVo. I don't use it anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
reddice likes this.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2015, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I don't know why they felt the need to include 1080p upscaling. All 4K TVs have to do a good job of that since at this point it's 80%+ of what they're asked to display with most of the rest being 720p.I wonder if they allow you to disable that?
Scalers are one chip, one piece commodity items.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
The TiVo fees are 0 if you pay a ridiculous amount of money for a lifetime membership and that's only per box and not per account like on a tablo. And plex is free. You don't have to have a membership. I also want better codec support for less transcoding and I want hd audio support, something the TiVo doesn't have. So it offers me nothing but a ota dvr which my tablo does. I have a TiVo. I don't use it anymore.

I paid $250 for lifetime and $50 for the Roamio itself during the last sale. Considering DVR fees from my cable company are $20/mo, I break even the first year. My 3 Minis have no additional fees. That would run me at least $40/mo total from the cable company. I have no interest in OTA, so Tablo isn't on my radar.

So what streaming boxes support HD audio?
Primestar31 likes this.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
So what streaming boxes support HD audio?
I didn't know there were any sources of streaming HD audio.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
I also want better codec support for less transcoding and I want hd audio support, something the TiVo doesn't have. So it offers me nothing but a ota dvr which my tablo does. I have a TiVo. I don't use it anymore.
yet you have no problem with tablo butchering the audio to stereo? or the resolution butchering they do (or did) to progressive channels?

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 6 TB TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Plex Pass | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
Old 10-07-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Nvidia shield. Tons of other streamers out there discussed on these various forums. Currently I use an htpc.

I.would never pay dvr fees with cable or satellite so I never counted it as a savings. One phone call to quit and they'd either give it to me for nothing or I'd just cancel. Right now I have no tv provider.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
Old 10-07-2015, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
yet you have no problem with tablo butchering the audio to stereo? or the resolution butchering they do (or did) to progressive channels?
It is true they don't yet support surround sound(it's coming) but it's not as big a deal on the tv I watch OTA content on. Any future devices I purchase will be for my home theater room where it does matter. I've never encountered this resolution butchering you speak of.

Last edited by archer75; 10-07-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Plex seemed to work fine last time I tried it on my Tivo. My Tivo monthly fee ($0) is less than Plex or Tablo fees.

In any case, I use Tivo primarily as a cable TV DVR and to watch the major streaming services (Netflix, etc.). If you want to do lots of file streaming, you're better off with something else. I still have to use my Roku for HBO and SHO streaming.

You bought a lifetime subscription for your TiVo, so the comparison is not really fair. I paid lifetime subscription fees for both Plex and Tablo, so I don't have any monthly fees either. The Tablo lifetime subscription has one major advantage in that it is connected to the account and not to the device. I can buy multiple Tablo devices or upgrade to newer ones without ever having to pay the fee again. That said, the Tablo is a completely different animal than TiVo. I chose it because my entire entertainment universe is built around Roku devices. Roku + Tablo + Plex + Vudu + Streaming provides a comprehensive media strategy that works well for my entire family.

Scott
Old 10-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Nvidia shield. Tons of other streamers out there discussed on these various forums. Currently I use an htpc.

I.would never pay dvr fees with cable or satellite so I never counted it as a savings. One phone call to quit and they'd either give it to me for nothing or I'd just cancel. Right now I have no tv provider.

I've been interested in the Shield for awhile, but Android TV just doesn't have the app support I require. For me to use a streamer, it must support Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu, Plex, Drama Fever, YouTube, Spotify and Pandora at minimum.

Scott
Old 10-07-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

They don't have Amazon but I have other devices for that. It supports everything else though right?

Old 10-07-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Scalers are one chip, one piece commodity items.

I understand that but why should Roku impose theirs on me? I might have a component downstream that can do a better job. Maybe they'll let people turn it off. (Seems strange that they'll only upconvert 720p to 1080p, leaving the television to upconvert it the rest of the way).

I spoke with my buddy who works at TiVo and he can get me the 500 GB Bolt for $225 ($75 savings) or the 1TB one for $300 ($100 savings) under their "Friends and Family" plan. Discounted or not they all come with first year's service ($180 savings). I'm in. He can't order it yet but will let me know when he can.

I love my TiVos. They're my favorite streaming device for Netflix, Amazon and VUDU since they can output their predominantly 24p content as a 24Hz signal which my 120Hz refresh TV can display without 2:3 pulldown; very, very few things can output 24p streaming at 24Hz. (I'm not that sensitive to 2:3 pulldown judder but it gives me warm fuzzies to know that it's not being applied ). They have some cool features like a cross-video-source search (which Roku also has) and OnePass, a replacement for their old Season Pass feature which integrates streaming sources. If I set up a OnePass which includes streaming sources it will list all of the episodes of the series (starting at the season that I specify) which can be streamed, a very nice feature when you decide part-way through a season to watch a program, particularly in conjunction with a cable service's included VOD feature like Cox On DEMAND, TWC TV and Xfinity TV Go.

I have a bad habit of moving on to the next model without ever getting around to selling the previous one, so I have a Premiere and a Series3 gathering dust, both with lifetime service. That Series3 with PLS had a used value around $500 when I shelved it; ones like mine are going for about $150 on eBay now .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; 10-07-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

We are talking about a cheap streaming device aimed at the masses not a high end one. If they add features very few care about it will no longer cost $130. Business 101 - you have to draw the line somewhere.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
We are talking about a cheap streaming device aimed at the masses not a high end one. If they add features very few care about it will no longer cost $130. Business 101 - you have to draw the line somewhere.

What feature are you referring to?

Old 10-07-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The cost of design, programming, testing, implementation, etc to "let people turn it off". People who have ever been computer programmers understand this.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The cost of design, programming, testing, implementation, etc to "let people turn it off". People who have ever been computer programmers understand this.

I have 30+ year experience as a software engineer and manager thereof, the last 20 of which were spent working on systems embedded in consumer and business electronics so there's little or nothing you can tell me about such issues. The unnecessary expense is in putting a completely superfluous upconversion feature in it in the first place. As I stated the televisions themselves have to do a good job of that to sell well since 1080i, 1080p and 720p are almost all that they display at this point, and people who want better upconversion will have placed something which might do a better job of it in the path between their devices and the television. It's unlikely that some piffling $130 device will do a better job of upconverting any resolution to 4K than my much more expensive television for which that upconversion is a make or break issue. IMNSHO it's goofy design.

Last edited by michaeltscott; 10-07-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Once again these are a COMMODITY chip mass produced for and likely used by many similar devices by other manufacturers. For Roku to have their own design would add significant cost. This is not a difficult concept for someone in the business.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Has Vudu launched 4K content with their app already?
No, not yet.

lujan
61 Ultra HD
836 HD
19 HD DVD
7 SD
Old 10-07-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Once again these are a COMMODITY chip mass produced for and likely used by many similar devices by other manufacturers. For Roku to have their own design would add significant cost. This is not a difficult concept for someone in the business.

It's difficult to believe that they bought a chip with 4K upconversion which cannot be defeated (and which only outputs 1080p for 720p ) and if they did that's on them.

It's useless to argue this since we don't yet know that you can't turn it off.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a least common denominator design to be massed produced and used for many devices at minimum expense as opposed to a custom design that might be used in higher end devices. I think you get it. /done
Old 10-07-2015, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Doesn't the Roku 3 already have some type of upconverting for 720p when watching Hulu? They don't say but it occurs to me that it does.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post
Doesn't the Roku 3 already have some type of upconverting for 720p when watching Hulu? They don't say but it occurs to me that it does.

The current Rokus only output a single resolution as selected by you, either 720p60 or 1080p60. They upconvert 480p to the selected resolution and 720p to 1080p if that's what you've selected.

If its upconversion of 1080p to 4K cannot be defeated it will be just one of many disappointing shortcomings of the product. It cannot do anything that I want that Roku 3 doesn't do (or at least any of those things well enough to be enticing). Some similarly priced products like WD TV have for years had more sophisticated hardware capabilities whereas Roku has concentrated on amassing a amazingly large collection of streaming services, literally 99% of which has no appeal for me. Roku Search is a good feature, but that's about all it's got going for it. It has ceased to be a product that I have much use for and Roku 4 does not apparently improve on that situation.

Of course, I'm a TiVo user, which is admittedly not a product for everyone.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If I am reading this correctly, I can HBO GO for $15/month with no provider subscription. I know it gets bundled with other stuff on cable / sat / telco systems. If I am cutting out the middle man and going straight to the source, and NOT getting their competitor's thrown into the bundle, then in my "Fair Market Value" opinion $15/month is too much.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I received a pre-order email. I am definitely not cancelling it though. I am anxious to see the 4k channel.
There is probably less than 100 hours of 4K content on Netflix I would want to watch for FIRST time. Just don't see value in content.

Memphis Home Builder
Old 10-10-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

That's just Netflix and that's just you.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post
If I am reading this correctly, I can HBO GO for $15/month with no provider subscription. I know it gets bundled with other stuff on cable / sat / telco systems. If I am cutting out the middle man and going straight to the source, and NOT getting their competitor's thrown into the bundle, then in my "Fair Market Value" opinion $15/month is too much.
It is the cable/sat companies that offer discounts on the monthly subscription fee, not HBO. So, if you buy direct from the seller, it's the actual full price of the service you should expect to pay.
And it's HBO Now-Go is for pre-existing HBO cable subscribers.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Old 10-11-2015, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Roku 3 IR sensor location?

Using a Logitech/Harmony programmable remote + IR repeater on my system, just added the Roku 3 to the list of devices, want to know where the Roku 3's IR sensor is located.

Guessing to the left of the white light, but would like confirmation from someone who actually knows for sure. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Using a Logitech/Harmony programmable remote + IR repeater on my system, just added the Roku 3 to the list of devices, want to know where the Roku 3's IR sensor is located.

Guessing to the left of the white light, but would like confirmation from someone who actually knows for sure. Thanks.
Looks like it:

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2013/...e-new-box.html

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?p=479701

v/r,
C-F
Old 10-12-2015, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
It is the cable/sat companies that offer discounts on the monthly subscription fee, not HBO. So, if you buy direct from the seller, it's the actual full price of the service you should expect to pay.
And it's HBO Now-Go is for pre-existing HBO cable subscribers.
I checked the prices with my cable company (Cablevision). It appears that the price for the service is the same whether I add it onto my cable package or whether I purchase the HBO Now product on its own. It's $15 either way. We have a package with multiple movie channels, so each one is discounted but that's the a la carte price. We also get HBO Go included.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post
I checked the prices with my cable company (Cablevision). It appears that the price for the service is the same whether I add it onto my cable package or whether I purchase the HBO Now product on its own. It's $15 either way. We have a package with multiple movie channels, so each one is discounted but that's the a la carte price. We also get HBO Go included.
We dropped Satellite ($100 + / month) in favor of the ROKU for purely economic reasons. We were basically watching 3-4 channels. Now I pay about $21 / month for what we actually watch. HBO is tempting but is still priced almost double than most other services. If I want to stay on budget, I'm just stating the obvious. They are overpriced. The Cable/Sat/Telcoms are NOT paying HBO $15 / month and charging us even money.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post
We dropped Satellite ($100 + / month) in favor of the ROKU for purely economic reasons. We were basically watching 3-4 channels. Now I pay about $21 / month for what we actually watch. HBO is tempting but is still priced almost double than most other services. If I want to stay on budget, I'm just stating the obvious. They are overpriced. The Cable/Sat/Telcoms are NOT paying HBO $15 / month and charging us even money.
I agree, HBO has not had any quality content now for a long time and is definitely not worth what they are charging. I only watch the occasional HBO content via other means.

lujan
61 Ultra HD
836 HD
19 HD DVD
7 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player