*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 138Likes
post #3121 of 3142 Old 06-01-2016, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I mean discrete 5.1 channel linear PCM, an uncompressed 6 channel digital audio stream (thus sayeth my AVR). Many devices will, for whatever reason, decode Dolby or DTS formats internally and output multichannel LPCM. You can get most BDPs to do it, if desired; if your AVR can't process advanced formats like TrueHD or DTS HD MA the BDP will process it and output the result. Notably some video game consoles do it, pissing off some users (most AVRs can't add enhancements to it as they might with compressed formats). As I recall PS3 had a penchant for outputting everything as 7.1 channel LPCM.
Thanks for the reply. In these days of roku, sling, appletv, other app oriented devices, etc., I always like to hear some new devices (with new delivery methods) doing 1080p and 5.1 (DD or DTS). Yes my AVR will display all the modes you mention just like my BDP outputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 3142 Old 06-01-2016, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Got my Chromecast--Google Play Movies looks fine when played through it and I don't think that it seems at all inferior to YouTube playback. It doesn't seem to be the most reliable device at maintaining wireless throughput, so quality drops from time to time (with the device located 2 feet from my router, attached to 150 Mbps cable network service).
I got HD streaming on Play Movies using the Chromecast and YouTube on the 4th gen ATV but the quality is still not great. Watched about 30 minutes of The Incredibles and even though it was in HD the banding was terrible if you were close up to the TV. Even worse than Netflix 720p content I use to complain about. Yet it used a lot of bandwidth. I don't bother anymore. They can offer a blockbuster movie for free and I would not take it unless it is a Disney anywhere then I can watch it on Vudu or Amazon Instant with true BluRay like quality.

Also I do get fluctuating video quality wireless on 5ghz only on the Chromecast. The worst being the Watch Disney channels going from HD to sub 240p where it is just a blur. I have to use the wired Ethernet adapter to get the best performance.

Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 06-01-2016 at 11:05 AM.
post #3123 of 3142 Old 06-01-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 365
My YouTube app is broken. I've uninstalled/reinstalled with no success. When I click on YT it opens, but as soon as I move up/down/left/right with either the OEM remote or my Harmony remote, it just keeps moving which ever way I selected and doesn't stop unless I hit another direction, in which case it goes the other way and won't stop. Eventually the app freezes in a black screen. I only have 3 channels on my R3. YT, HBO Go and Pandora and the other two apps are fine.

Once I restart the R3, then everything works perfect again until it goes to sleep for a long period of time (8 or more hrs). Am I the only lucky owner or anyone else experiencing this?

My R3 is the 2014 version without voice search.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 BD ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon AVR-X3200W ~ SVS Prime Bookshelf L/R ~ SVS Prime Satellite Surrounds ~ MultEQ XT L/R Bypass ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #3124 of 3142 Old 06-01-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Thanks for the reply. In these days of roku, sling, appletv, other app oriented devices, etc., I always like to hear some new devices (with new delivery methods) doing 1080p and 5.1 (DD or DTS). Yes my AVR will display all the modes you mention just like my BDP outputs.

Understand that devices which output multichannel LPCM are receiving the Dolby or DTS bitstream and decoding just like your AVR does; nobody streams uncompressed 5.1 audio. The results should be virtually identical. AVRs can typically do more if they decode the bitstream, such as applying additional processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Also I do get fluctuating video quality wireless on 5ghz only on the Chromecast. The worst being the Watch Disney channels going from HD to sub 240p where it is just a blur. I have to use the wired Ethernet adapter to get the best performance.

I hadn't been aware of that option--thanks for the link. I may have to invest in it. As I play around with it I'm finding that Chromecast might be more useful than I first thought. The Google Cast framework makes it so much easier to "cast" video from an app than to develop a native app for another streamer that there are nearly as many of them now as there are Roku "channels".

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3125 of 3142 Old 06-01-2016, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I know you can now get Google Movies with 5.1 Dolby Digital+ via the Roku, but I don't know if this mans Google has changed codecs. Three years ago they announced using HE-AAC to deliver 5.1 audio. I always figured that's what the Chromecast was decoding.

And my receiver can add additional audio processing to Dolby Digital, DTS and bitstream, but newer advanced codecs it can only decode. I can't add additional processing. The other day I tried engaging a Cinema DSP mode to watch the 2.0 DD+ stream from HBO Go, but my receiver wouldn't do it. I could engage Dolby Pro-Logic II however, as that is not a DSP mode.

Neil
post #3126 of 3142 Old 06-01-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post
I know you can now get Google Movies with 5.1 Dolby Digital+ via the Roku, but I don't know if this mans Google has changed codecs. Three years ago they announced using HE-AAC to deliver 5.1 audio. I always figured that's what the Chromecast was decoding.

And my receiver can add additional audio processing to Dolby Digital, DTS and bitstream, but newer advanced codecs it can only decode. I can't add additional processing. The other day I tried engaging a Cinema DSP mode to watch the 2.0 DD+ stream from HBO Go, but my receiver wouldn't do it. I could engage Dolby Pro-Logic II however, as that is not a DSP mode.

Neil
That's good to know. A couple of Expendables movies from Google Play were only 2.0 stereo on the Roku 3 until I decided to try casting from my Google Play app on my iPad and this method gave me 5.1 DD.

lujan
61 Ultra HD
836 HD
19 HD DVD
7 SD
post #3127 of 3142 Old 06-01-2016, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
That's good to know. A couple of Expendables movies from Google Play were only 2.0 stereo on the Roku 3 until I decided to try casting from my Google Play app on my iPad and this method gave me 5.1 DD.
Isn't that interesting. All the apps (TV channels) via Roku that I use only output 2 channel PCM. I can go to the specific channel's website and play it through my laptop connected via HDMI to my AVR and it plays multichannel just fine. So I am not sure why the restrictions via Roku! Maybe everyone wants there money in the chain....
post #3128 of 3142 Old 06-01-2016, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post

Interesting--HE-AAC is typically used for stereo audio streams; it's what Netflix uses for stereo while using DD and DD+ 5.1 for surround. For the 2-out-of-5 of the films that I can play via Google Play which have 5.1 sound on Roku, the sound is presented as DD+ 5.1; all 5 have 5.1 sound on Chromecast, all presented as 5.1 channel LPCM. Lord only knows what's going on there. (Transformers: Dark of the Moon, which has stereo sound when play on GPM&TV on Roku has a very aggressive 3D sound design--I think that one of the production logos features an object which sharply flies in a circle around the room, very distinctly when viewed via Chromecast plugged into my AVR).

Quote:
And my receiver can add additional audio processing to Dolby Digital, DTS and bitstream...

Small nit--"bitstream" refers to the DD and DTS; I assume that you mean PCM.

post #3129 of 3142 Old 06-01-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I don't care about surround system. Sorry I know I am the minority here but I don't have room for one so I use a sound bar. I do care about 1080p and above HD quality close to BluRay which Play Movies does not deliver.

Cats are the best pets.
post #3130 of 3142 Old 06-01-2016, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, Play Movies looks (and sounds) pretty good to me played on Chromecast. The only problem is that Chromecast generally has a hard time keeping bandwidth up, in my situation, for all apps. I'm going to order the adapter, though lord only knows where I'll find a spot to plug it in .

post #3131 of 3142 Old 06-02-2016, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
My YouTube app is broken. I've uninstalled/reinstalled with no success. When I click on YT it opens, but as soon as I move up/down/left/right with either the OEM remote or my Harmony remote, it just keeps moving which ever way I selected and doesn't stop unless I hit another direction, in which case it goes the other way and won't stop. Eventually the app freezes in a black screen. I only have 3 channels on my R3. YT, HBO Go and Pandora and the other two apps are fine.

Once I restart the R3, then everything works perfect again until it goes to sleep for a long period of time (8 or more hrs). Am I the only lucky owner or anyone else experiencing this?

My R3 is the 2014 version without voice search.
I have the same problem too at times. The last time it happened I closed and reopened the YT app and the problem went away.
D Bone likes this.
post #3132 of 3142 Old 06-04-2016, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhj View Post
I have the same problem too at times. The last time it happened I closed and reopened the YT app and the problem went away.

Same here. Looks like the YouTube update broke the app in some ways. Other than the behavior mentioned, if I pause a youtube video, switch my tv input to something else, and come back to the Roku after a while, I get only the audio and no video when I press play. Before, the video would take off from where it stopped. Since they added the "preview" during the forward/reverse, it slows the process down. Also, right arrow no longer goes to the next video. It acts as the forward button.

Hope they fix it soon. I wonder why they add features that eventually break something else. We must be the testers.
post #3133 of 3142 Old 06-11-2016, 02:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well, Play Movies looks (and sounds) pretty good to me played on Chromecast. The only problem is that Chromecast generally has a hard time keeping bandwidth up, in my situation, for all apps. I'm going to order the adapter, though lord only knows where I'll find a spot to plug it in .

BTW, I hooked up that adapter a couple of days ago; makes all the difference--playback of Google Play gets to its best quality within a few seconds and stays there. I watched half of Transformers: Dark of the Moon and the VQ was pretty decent--it might have been 720p but it was sharp 720p. (Good God that movie has a very punchy 3D sound design; stuff was whizzing all around my room during the over-the-top battle scenes).
9512tacoma likes this.

post #3134 of 3142 Old 06-11-2016, 02:08 PM

With the latest update to Roku 3 and the YouTube channel app, my YouTube libraries do not show up any more on the left in the YouTube app. Does anyone show how to get a list of the libraries? Now, I am unable to view the videos in others' playlists which I had saved as libraries. They still show up on a browser on a PC.

I tried going through the Subscriptions but without any success. Hope someone can help.
post #3135 of 3142 Old 06-11-2016, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawaji View Post
With the latest update to Roku 3 and the YouTube channel app, my YouTube libraries do not show up any more on the left in the YouTube app. Does anyone show how to get a list of the libraries? Now, I am unable to view the videos in others' playlists which I had saved as libraries. They still show up on a browser on a PC.

I tried going through the Subscriptions but without any success. Hope someone can help.
You now have to click on libraries and that will bring up favorites and liked videos. Then once you select favorites you have to press the down button several times to highlight the videos in your list and then you can go left or right to the video you want to play and then select the OK button.

The app is now trash and whoever designed the update should be fired.
ozark and reddice like this.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 BD ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon AVR-X3200W ~ SVS Prime Bookshelf L/R ~ SVS Prime Satellite Surrounds ~ MultEQ XT L/R Bypass ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #3136 of 3142 Old 06-11-2016, 08:10 PM

Unhappy How to access Libraries in the "new" YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
You now have to click on libraries and that will bring up favorites and liked videos. Then once you select favorites you have to press the down button several times to highlight the videos in your list and then you can go left or right to the video you want to play and then select the OK button.

The app is now trash and whoever designed the update should be fired.
Thanks for your response D Bone! Unfortunately, there is no "Libraries" listed. All I have are "Search", "Home", "Subscriptions", "History" and "Settings" followed by "Best of YouTube" under which there is music, news, etc. Please let me know how to get to the "Libraries".

I am disappointed that programmers change the apps without even understanding how others may be using it.

Last edited by bawaji; 06-11-2016 at 09:10 PM.
post #3137 of 3142 Old 06-11-2016, 09:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawaji View Post
I am disappointed that programmers change the apps without even understanding how others may be using it.

I'd be shocked silly if something as massively well used as YouTube isn't fully instrumented to collect data on patterns of usage. I'm sure that changes to the UI are only affected after hours of boring discussion by their Human Factors Engineering group.

I don't know what YouTube libraries are. Playlists and subscriptions I understand.

post #3138 of 3142 Old 06-11-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I'd be shocked silly if something as massively well used as YouTube isn't fully instrumented to collect data on patterns of usage. I'm sure that changes to the UI are only affected after hours of boring discussion by their Human Factors Engineering group.

I don't know what YouTube libraries are. Playlists and subscriptions I understand.
Mike, when I save a Playlist when logged on to YouTube on a PC, the playlist is saved under the "Libraries" heading. On the Roku, all saved playlists showed up on the left where Home, Subscriptions, History, Settings, etc. are listed. Now, I do not see those saved playlists anywhere on the left side menu.

The problem is I have saved a lot of playlists of sitcoms and short series for my Mom so she can view them easily and now, they are nowhere to be found. There is no easy way anymore to get to the playlists that I can figure out. They do show up on the browser on my desktop PC though. Hope it is not a bug on my Roku 3!

Last edited by bawaji; 06-11-2016 at 09:18 PM.
post #3139 of 3142 Old 06-12-2016, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does the Roku 3 or 4 support bitstream of DTS-HD or TrueHD?

Do either of these support this function? As well as 24p playback? Thanks.
post #3140 of 3142 Old 06-12-2016, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post
Do either of these support this function? As well as 24p playback? Thanks.
No.

Looky here!
post #3141 of 3142 Old 06-18-2016, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

At least the YouTube channel finally works now.... I still don't like the new interface, but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

post #3142 of 3142 Unread Today, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone had problems with PBS on their Roku 3? My two units have not been able to connect on that channel for about a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player