*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 148Likes

post #3151 of 3227 Old 08-23-2016, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2129 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitormaven View Post
Mdavej, what size memory card do you use? Perhaps the bug appeared with the new Roku 3 (4230R). Any info will help when I get in touch with someone at Roku who cares.
Very small, 2 or 4Gb, IIRC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3227 Old 08-29-2016, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Looks like Pandora has a small change to their interface. Nothing major.
post #3153 of 3227 Old 08-29-2016, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2709 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
YouTube has made a major change.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

post #3154 of 3227 Old 09-02-2016, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. I have ripped some Blu Ray movies (using Make MKV and Hanbdrake) and put them on our NAS to watch via Roku 3, using the Roku Media Player app. Some movies work perfectly fine. However, other movies will begin to play fine, and then partway through, it will trigger an error message saying something along the lines of "This file can't be played. It may be an invalid file format, encrypted, or corrupted." That's not the exact error message, it was something like that. I cannot find any rhyme or reason as to why some movies work, and others don't.

Any advice?
post #3155 of 3227 Old 09-02-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnak View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. I have ripped some Blu Ray movies (using Make MKV and Hanbdrake) and put them on our NAS to watch via Roku 3, using the Roku Media Player app. Some movies work perfectly fine. However, other movies will begin to play fine, and then partway through, it will trigger an error message saying something along the lines of "This file can't be played. It may be an invalid file format, encrypted, or corrupted." That's not the exact error message, it was something like that. I cannot find any rhyme or reason as to why some movies work, and others don't.

Any advice?
Cinavia?

lujan
134 Ultra HD
824 HD
19 HD DVD
5 SD
post #3156 of 3227 Old 09-02-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Not sure. I ripped a box set of movies, and some of them work and some don't. It seems odd that some would be affected by Cinavia and others wouldn't.
post #3157 of 3227 Old 09-02-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Not sure. I ripped a box set of movies, and some of them work and some don't. It seems odd that some would be affected by Cinavia and others wouldn't.
Agree, it does sound more like the file is actually corrupted, badly encoded or there was a network problem. Are you able to restart the movie again at the point? Does it also happen at the same point in the movie? Does it play fine on a PC?
post #3158 of 3227 Old 09-02-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
Agree, it does sound more like the file is actually corrupted, badly encoded or there was a network problem. Are you able to restart the movie again at the point? Does it also happen at the same point in the movie? Does it play fine on a PC?
I heard that it was up to the movie studio as to whether to implement Cinavia or not so it might be different on each movie title?

lujan
134 Ultra HD
824 HD
19 HD DVD
5 SD
post #3159 of 3227 Old 09-02-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I heard that it was up to the movie studio as to whether to implement Cinavia or not so it might be different on each movie title?
Yes, that is true. I just assumed a box set would be all or none but that may not be true.
post #3160 of 3227 Old 09-02-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
Yes, that is true. I just assumed a box set would be all or none but that may not be true.
This is also what I was thinking - something must be up with the ripping, encoding, or with the Roku. I'll see if I can play the movies on a another device. One of them quits about 50 minutes in; another about 10 minutes in. Usually I check to see if it plays for about a minute and then assume all is good, so I didn't realize these were bad until we tried to watch them in full.
post #3161 of 3227 Old 09-02-2016, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
This is also what I was thinking - something must be up with the ripping, encoding, or with the Roku. I'll see if I can play the movies on a another device. One of them quits about 50 minutes in; another about 10 minutes in. Usually I check to see if it plays for about a minute and then assume all is good, so I didn't realize these were bad until we tried to watch them in full.
Willing to bet you've run into Screenpass. You can work around it by finding the correct playlist in the disc.

Looky here!

Last edited by robnix; 09-02-2016 at 11:07 PM.
post #3162 of 3227 Old 09-08-2016, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Did anyone else loose local channels on Roku 3 for a couple of days this week or the past week? Of course it could've been a TWC specific issue.
post #3163 of 3227 Old 09-08-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Willing to bet you've run into Screenpass. You can work around it by finding the correct playlist in the disc.
I'm not sure what it was. MakeMKV only showed one valid playlist but maybe it was selecting the wrong one. I borrowed my sister-in-law's DVD copy of the same box set and it worked fine.
post #3164 of 3227 Old 09-10-2016, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My Apple TV died last weekend so I bought a Roku 3 to replace it. It worked great until yesterday. It froze up and since then when the Roku has power and is plugged into my AVR310 my Oppo Blu Ray player and iMac will not get an HDMI connection when trying to use them. I have tried a different cable and switched HDMI ports on the Roku and it still exhibits this behavior. When I switch to the Oppo or iMac I get the no signal message on the receiver and the TV. Any ideas? Does this sound like a defective Roku?

Thanks!
post #3165 of 3227 Old 09-10-2016, 10:33 AM

^^^ Have you tried to plug the Roku directly into a TV with HDMI cable and by pass the AVR. Maybe it is the AVR causing the issue? I had that happen when I lost one of my inputs to the AVR.
post #3166 of 3227 Old 09-10-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
^^^ Have you tried to plug the Roku directly into a TV with HDMI cable and by pass the AVR. Maybe it is the AVR causing the issue? I had that happen when I lost one of my inputs to the AVR.
Yes it works in HDMI 2 on the tv. But if it is plugged into any of my HDMI ports on the receiver the Blue Ray and iMac will not show video and say no signal. No power to the Roku and they work. Not sure what to do other than return the unit. The apple TV does not cause this problem, I noticed it shuts down when you go to another input. The Roku stays on all the time, I wonder if that is the issue?
post #3167 of 3227 Old 09-10-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy61 View Post
Yes it works in HDMI 2 on the tv. But if it is plugged into any of my HDMI ports on the receiver the Blue Ray and iMac will not show video and say no signal. No power to the Roku and they work. Not sure what to do other than return the unit. The apple TV does not cause this problem, I noticed it shuts down when you go to another input. The Roku stays on all the time, I wonder if that is the issue?
Unless someone else has other ideas. I think you may have lost an input on the receiver. If you like the receiver and are not in a hurry to replace it, I would get a 5x1 hdmi switch and forget the bad input.
post #3168 of 3227 Old 09-10-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Unless someone else has other ideas. I think you may have lost an input on the receiver. If you like the receiver and are not in a hurry to replace it, I would get a 5x1 hdmi switch and forget the bad input.
It does not appear to be the input. The Roku works on any input, it is just that no matter what input I use it on the other two items will not connect with the Roku powered on. The TV and receiver show no signal and work if I disconnect the power to the Roku. Moving them around makes no difference either. I guess this thing is incompatible with the Anthem receiver. I wonder if I should even try exchanging it at best buy since I just bought it or go with something else? I am very sick of Apple not being cooperative and having Amazon content or I would just buy another Apple TV.
post #3169 of 3227 Old 09-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My Roku 3 does not turn off even thought I have auto play next episodes turned off on Netflix. The next morning the screen shows the 3 profiles and power indicator is obviously on.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #3170 of 3227 Old 09-10-2016, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2129 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
It does not appear to be the input. The Roku works on any input, it is just that no matter what input I use it on the other two items will not connect with the Roku powered on. The TV and receiver show no signal and work if I disconnect the power to the Roku. Moving them around makes no difference either. I guess this thing is incompatible with the Anthem receiver. I wonder if I should even try exchanging it at best buy since I just bought it or go with something else? I am very sick of Apple not being cooperative and having Amazon content or I would just buy another Apple TV.
Sounds like HDMI CEC is turned on. Turn it off. Otherwise, the last powered up device (always Roku in your case since it never turns off), will be the auto selected input. You'll have to look in your Anthem manual to find out how to turn off HDMI CEC (HDMI Control). You may have to turn it off in your TV as well. If you can't get it to work, try a Fire TV or stick for Amazon. But it also uses CEC and is always on like Roku.
post #3171 of 3227 Old 09-10-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
My Roku 3 does not turn off even thought I have auto play next episodes turned off on Netflix. The next morning the screen shows the 3 profiles and power indicator is obviously on.
I believe it always stays on unless you unplug it. It goes on to a screen saver mode.
post #3172 of 3227 Old 09-10-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I believe it always stays on unless you unplug it. It goes on to a screen saver mode.

The only Roku with a power button is Roku 4 (and I think that's just because of the fan). I believe Roku 3 draws a continuous 3.5W whether you're using it or not.

post #3173 of 3227 Old 09-10-2016, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Sounds like HDMI CEC is turned on. Turn it off. Otherwise, the last powered up device (always Roku in your case since it never turns off), will be the auto selected input. You'll have to look in your Anthem manual to find out how to turn off HDMI CEC (HDMI Control). You may have to turn it off in your TV as well. If you can't get it to work, try a Fire TV or stick for Amazon. But it also uses CEC and is always on like Roku.
I had a similar issue with an older Yamaha. Disabled cec and was fine.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
post #3174 of 3227 Old 09-11-2016, 10:55 AM

CEC was off, I took it back and got a new Apple TV, I am going to just stream Amazon with Airplay on my iPad. Thanks for the advice! I wonder if HDMI standby being on could cause issues?
post #3175 of 3227 Old 09-11-2016, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
CEC was off, I took it back and got a new Apple TV, I am going to just stream Amazon with Airplay on my iPad. Thanks for the advice! I wonder if HDMI standby being on could cause issues?
If you mean HDMI pass through, mine is on. When I turn off my RX-V867, the picture comes back on, but it's quiet. Roku 3 works fine. A TiVo is always sending audio & video too.
post #3176 of 3227 Old 09-14-2016, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I had a few device setup issues (power on/off, entering/exiting standby, etc.) when I recently installed the new yamaha rx-v481 avr. Tried for a little while to use the avr's remote for everything, doing the dance with each device's hdmi cec, standby, etc. Finally gave up and purchased a logitech harmony 650 remote and turned off all hdmi cec and other settings and everything is working great. Plus, the wife is happy with the new hardware now, always a plus. Nothing like getting a text early in the morning when she's trying to watch her recorded shows (the tv's on but I can't hear anything) and I'm in another part of the house with my head wrapped around something complex.

Only thing that I can't change in the harmony is remove power-off commands in an activity. We got into the habit of manually turning off the comcrap dvr via front blue-circle button (on the unit itself) when finished watching cable tv but not wanting to power down everything, so tv had blank screen. If someone turns off the dvr before switching to another harmony activity, the dvr turns back on, because the harmony is doing a power-toggle thing at the end of the watch tv activity (and the comcrap box doesn't have a power-off via ir remote command, which is quite stupid, but comcrap...).

Oh well, just have to change habits a bit. Did I mention the wife is happy with the new system?
post #3177 of 3227 Old 09-14-2016, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 5
can u plug an external hard drive to rook 3? and if it can play all audio, video files, sans 4k?
post #3178 of 3227 Old 09-14-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziba Ji View Post
can u plug an external hard drive to rook 3? and if it can play all audio, video files, sans 4k?

Yes. There's some information about that here.

post #3179 of 3227 Old 09-14-2016, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
I only tried it once, but it worked great.
post #3180 of 3227 Old 09-15-2016, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
The roku does decent job on mkv, mp4, mov files. If you have (older?) avi, mpg, etc. files, you need to convert them to something the roku can handle.

We watch quite a few movie files, and I got tired of constant plugging/unplugging the hard drive. Just started experimenting with plex server, and it seems to work quite well (I have my main pc with enormous storage running 24/7 in the office, a decent distance from quiet living room ht with wired gigabit ethernet pretty much everywhere in the house). The roku plex client doesn't cost anything now, so just been messing with that, but going to try rarflix also (or something else if available, I enjoy figuring out how to get the most out of whatever is available).

Question for roku experts:

Am I getting comparable audio & video clarity/quality playing files through the roku vs chromecast vs pc (or bd/dvd disc for that matter)? They seem to look and sound fine to us; just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page