*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread - Page 107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 140Likes

post #3181 of 3194 Old 09-15-2016, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintE View Post
-snip ...Am I getting comparable audio & video clarity/quality playing files through the roku vs chromecast vs pc (or bd/dvd disc for that matter)? They seem to look and sound fine to us; just wondering.
There are only a few apps that provide 5.1 sound on Roku, not all. There is a list on this if you search it and also on Roku's website.
ClintE likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3194 Old 09-15-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintE View Post
Question for roku experts:

Am I getting comparable audio & video clarity/quality playing files through the roku vs chromecast vs pc (or bd/dvd disc for that matter)? They seem to look and sound fine to us; just wondering.

If there's surround sound in the file that it's playing, DD, DD+ or DTS, the Roku Plex app will pass it through to your AVR untouched.
ClintE likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3183 of 3194 Old 09-16-2016, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
If there's surround sound in the file that it's playing, DD, DD+ or DTS, the Roku Plex app will pass it through to your AVR untouched.
I figured that's what is happening with the roku, and I'm also assuming a/v quality is dependent on how well plex transcodes different source files compared to just playing the file on the computer with vlc. But that's a topic for a different thread.

Thanks!
post #3184 of 3194 Old 09-16-2016, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
There are only a few apps that provide 5.1 sound on Roku, not all. There is a list on this if you search it and also on Roku's website.
Yes, I've been using roku media player channel, plex, and now evaluating rarflix, which I'm leaning towards as a keeper.

Thanks!
post #3185 of 3194 Old 09-19-2016, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I set up Plex media server on an old iMac I wasn't using anymore. After having to update the Mac and trying to be patient as it runs slower than molasses now (it takes about 30 seconds to open a Safari browser), I got it up and running, and was blown away. Plex solved my playback issues I was having and the interface is so much nicer than the Roku Media Player. There are some weird update/refresh issues I had to work around, and Plex downloading the wrong metadata for a few movies, but otherwise I'm loving it so far.
post #3186 of 3194 Old 09-20-2016, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Sounds like HDMI CEC is turned on. Turn it off. Otherwise, the last powered up device (always Roku in your case since it never turns off), will be the auto selected input. You'll have to look in your Anthem manual to find out how to turn off HDMI CEC (HDMI Control). You may have to turn it off in your TV as well. If you can't get it to work, try a Fire TV or stick for Amazon. But it also uses CEC and is always on like Roku.
Speaking of which, I have a strange thing going on here I'd like to figure out.

Yamaha receiver, with sources Amazon Fire, TiVo, and Panasonic Blu-Ray. The Fire is very recent, replacing a Roku 3 that died (just to keep things kind of vaguely relevant to the thread).

I normally just use a universal remote to switch inputs on the Yamaha, but yesterday while watching the TiVo I picked up the Fire remote and absentmindedly hit the middle (Enter) button, and the Yamaha switched its input to it, surprising the heck out of me. AFAIK, the Fire has the Home screen up all the time, so I don't understand what happened there - I don't think it suddenly came to life.

What I would really like is if I could have this behavior be universal, so that if I pick up the TiVo remote and, say, call up the Info screen or guide, the Yamaha would switch back to it. Or if I turn on the Blu-Ray player, the Yamaha switches to it, etc. But only the Fire seems to exhibit this behavior with the Yamaha. Is that because the other components don't support CEC?
post #3187 of 3194 Old 09-20-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Is that because the other components don't support CEC?
Precisely. It's because of this haphazard CEC implementation across different manufacturers that I let my universal remote do all the switching. That approach has been very consistent and reliable for me. I do leave CEC on to take advantage of the few devices of mine that it works on, simplifying some of my macros and device control.

I think a decent universal remote is still the best solution at this point. I have a very good one that was only $17. So you don't have to spend much. It works beautifully with all the devices you mentioned and plays very nicely with CEC, unlike Harmony.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde...sight_and_Nevo
post #3188 of 3194 Old 09-20-2016, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Even if a device supports some CEC it won't necessarily do that automatic input switching thing. I had my Fire TV Stick connected to the panel in the living room so that my housemates could use it, but since that Sony TV had CEC support it's remote could control the FTV Stick through HDMI and I kept the stick's remote. For some reason I had it on a table in front of me in my room and when I'd occasionally mash one of that remote's buttons by mistake it would switch the TV in the LR to the stick's input, which did not amuse the people watching television there .

post #3189 of 3194 Old 09-20-2016, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 69
CEC reminds me of the early wild west days of HDMI, where your chances of actually seeing an image were about 50/50 at any given time.

In another room, I have a Marantz 1604 receiver feeding a 40" NEC set, and when I had CEC enabled, turning off the set would turn off the Marantz, but turning it back on would not turn on the receiver. Just stupid.

For control of power, I have come to always use a 'smart' outlet strip where there's a 'control' outlet that turns the other outlets on or off depending on whether the device plugged into the control outlet is on or off. Plug the TV/monitor into the control outlet, and receiver and whatever else I want into the other outlets, and I only concern myself with turning the TV on and off - everything else follows its power state. Works splendidly without fail every single time as long as the other items remember their previous powered state when powered back up. Everything I have here does.
post #3190 of 3194 Old 09-20-2016, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
CEC reminds me of the early wild west days of HDMI, where your chances of actually seeing an image were about 50/50 at any given time.

In another room, I have a Marantz 1604 receiver feeding a 40" NEC set, and when I had CEC enabled, turning off the set would turn off the Marantz, but turning it back on would not turn on the receiver. Just stupid.

For control of power, I have come to always use a 'smart' outlet strip where there's a 'control' outlet that turns the other outlets on or off depending on whether the device plugged into the control outlet is on or off. Plug the TV/monitor into the control outlet, and receiver and whatever else I want into the other outlets, and I only concern myself with turning the TV on and off - everything else follows its power state. Works splendidly without fail every single time as long as the other items remember their previous powered state when powered back up. Everything I have here does.
What the hell does CEC do right anyway?

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #3191 of 3194 Old 09-20-2016, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post

As stated in my post above, the Sony panel in the living room controls Fire TV Stick via HDMI CEC using the TV's remote. The Vizio panel in my bedroom switches input on my AVR to S/PDIF when I play one of its internal apps or switch to one of its other HDMI inputs, then switches the AVR back to the input that I was using prior to starting an internal app when I'm done. If I cast to the Chromecast connected to one of my AVR's HDMI input, Chromecast uses CEC to automatically switch the AVR to that input. All of that works perfectly.

I don't think that there's any standard set of capabilities that a CEC capable device must provide; designers use it however they want or not at all.

Last edited by michaeltscott; 09-20-2016 at 05:25 PM.
post #3192 of 3194 Old 09-21-2016, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
The official definition: "Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is a feature of HDMI designed to allow users to command and control up to 15 devices connected through HDMI by using only one remote control (for example by controlling a television set, set-top box, and DVD player using only the remote control of the TV)."
post #3193 of 3194 Old 09-21-2016, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Great in theory, terrible in practice because manufacturers are to lazy and/or apathetic to implement it properly. Luckily it's implemented pretty well for the few devices I really need it on - ones otherwise only controllable by RF like Fire TV stick and Playstation.
post #3194 of 3194 Old 09-25-2016, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Even if a device supports some CEC it won't necessarily do that automatic input switching thing. I had my Fire TV Stick connected to the panel in the living room so that my housemates could use it, but since that Sony TV had CEC support it's remote could control the FTV Stick through HDMI and I kept the stick's remote. For some reason I had it on a table in front of me in my room and when I'd occasionally mash one of that remote's buttons by mistake it would switch the TV in the LR to the stick's input, which did not amuse the people watching television there .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Great in theory, terrible in practice because manufacturers are to lazy and/or apathetic to implement it properly. Luckily it's implemented pretty well for the few devices I really need it on - ones otherwise only controllable by RF like Fire TV stick and Playstation.
I agree. CEC is a joke. Everytime someone complains about how the PS4 does not have a good media remote they say just use CEC. I tried it works with the PS4 when it feels like it but then the Fire TV conflicts with it all the time. I go to control it and instead it controls the Fire TV. No big deal I will just hook the PS4 directly to the TV nope the Fire TV still controls it if I ever switch to it. What makes matters worse is that you can't even turn CEC off on the Fire TV or any other device but you can sure turn it off on the PS4.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.3-138 K26ARM USB AIO-64K.
Toshiba 39L2300U - Apple TV (4th Gen), Fire TV (2nd Gen), PS4 (1st Gen), TiVo Roamio OTA.
Cats are the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page