*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread - Page 108 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 148Likes

post #3211 of 3238 Old 11-07-2016, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 1513
The "*" button works in a funky fashion on Roku Premiere, Premiere+ and Ultra, particularly if you use the Roku RF remote. The OS is now bringing up a subtitles and audio options menu whenever you press "*" while video is playing in any app. If you use an IR remote or IP Roku app on a phone or tablet "*" will bring up the debug info display (w/current resolution) underneath that system dialog which stays on the screen after the system dialog goes away. Using the IR or IP remote you have to hit DOWN, DOWN to go to the Audio & Subtitles button and then hit "*" to make it go away. With the Roku RF remote the only way to get that display is to hit "*" on the top menu. It will not appear until you actually play something or enter a title's description.

Since I believe that Netflix is behind your new version it may gradually propagate to other devices. I hope that I'm wrong.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3238 Old 11-07-2016, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm seeing the same issues on my Roku 3 with Netflix plus one other annoying issue: After a show is finished and it starts running the credits, it puts them into a small box in the upper left corner of the display (so they can advertise something else you may like to watch). I used to be able to navigate to that box and click it to bring it back and then hit the skip back button to view the credits I missed while futsing with it. Now, however, after I skip back, it just does the same thing again - puts the credits up into a little box. I tried several times and was never able to see the beginning of the credits.

I finally gave up and put my Roku 2 back in place. It's an older interface (and crashed a lot, as I remember) but at least I can see the credits at the end of a show/movie.
reddice likes this.
post #3213 of 3238 Old 11-07-2016, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Who actually watches the credits? lol!

post #3214 of 3238 Old 11-07-2016, 05:25 PM

This release is a dog. Someone on the Roku site forums says that they changed his Netflix app back to the previous version.

post #3215 of 3238 Old 11-07-2016, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
This release is a dog. Someone on the Roku site forums says that they changed his Netflix app back to the previous version.
Thanks! I had hooked my Roku 3 up on the side to let it update on Ethernet & cable internet before I take it to a place with wireless and DSL, and was wondering why it didn't pick up the new OS version.

Now, I'll just box it back up until it's time.

v/r,
C-F
post #3216 of 3238 Old 11-08-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVWatcher2 View Post
I do of course I grew up when networks use to show credits uninterrupted.

Charter Spectrum powered by Earthlink.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-138 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premier (2016).
Cats are the best pets.
post #3217 of 3238 Old 11-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I do too when I'm interested to know where the movie is filmed, or to look up a song/music by a specific artist.
mhobart and reddice like this.
post #3218 of 3238 Old 11-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Those of us who work in the industry. And our moms.
post #3219 of 3238 Old 11-09-2016, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Mine will put credits in full screen with remote. Stays connected to ethernet 24/7

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #3220 of 3238 Old 11-14-2016, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Does anyone here like or dislike the stupid new option interface during playback for Netflix? They've completely eliminated the Time/length, Audio, Video Resolution, Subtitle, and Language info on the top left screen when pressing the * button
i have never used the function, so i can't say i miss it
though english is my native tongue so i can't say i've ever needed subtitles
pretty much the only button i use during play is pause/play

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #3221 of 3238 Old 11-14-2016, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlgren View Post
i have never used the function, so i can't say i miss it
though english is my native tongue so i can't say i've ever needed subtitles
pretty much the only button i use during play is pause/play
American-English is my first language and I watch a lot of Foreign films, especially from the UK such as Ireland and to an extent- Australia. Believe me, I don't want to get all brain-twisted trying decipher what they're trying to say...you ketch the dreeft maite?
post #3222 of 3238 Old 11-14-2016, 02:41 PM

Video resolution is what most people miss if they've gotten that version; all the rest is basically available in the real UI. Unfortunately that little overlay was always an undocumented debugging feature; I doubt that they'll listen to complaints that it disappeared.

post #3223 of 3238 Old 12-13-2016, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 155
If you own a Roku extender & have a Roku account look for a $5.00 Vudu credit from Roku in your email .

I watched the new way cool Jason Bourne action movie in 1080p HDX and 5.1 at Vudu with the $5.00 credit + .99 cents on my Android Vudu TV app in the 4K Sony X850C TV in here with it
post #3224 of 3238 Old 12-13-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
There are only a few apps that provide 5.1 sound on Roku, not all. There is a list on this if you search it and also on Roku's website.

AFAIK Chromecast ( whatever they call it now ) from the Chrome PC web browser only supports 720p and 2.0 PCM/44 just like any chrome PC web browser on protected content .

My Sony XBR X850C TV has Andrdoid TV Chromecast in it.... it's slow to load ,unresponsive (slow ) and only 2.0 PCM/44 and up to 720p .

The HDMI cable from this PC is much better here

My 1080p Roku seems real decent . It plays the highest 1080p Neflix encodes and 5.1 audio over HDMI .

The HDTV Sony Andoid apps in the TV may be slightly sharper picture wise and have less red push and maybe better gamma for this TV than the Roku depending on the app and obviously so would the 4K apps over the 1080p Roku but the Roku can look good
post #3225 of 3238 Old 12-13-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post
Thanks! I had hooked my Roku 3 up on the side to let it update on Ethernet & cable internet before I take it to a place with wireless and DSL, and was wondering why it didn't pick up the new OS version.

Now, I'll just box it back up until it's time.

v/r,
C-F
Mine ( Roku 2 - 2720) is on WiFi broadband and it updated to Ver. 7.x software /OS all by itself .
post #3226 of 3238 Old 02-10-2017, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Every time I switch to the ROKU it is installing some random app, without my input.

How do I stop this? It only started doing this recently
post #3227 of 3238 Old 02-10-2017, 09:53 PM

Change from the default screensaver.

post #3228 of 3238 Old 02-17-2017, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks everyone who suggested changing the default screensaver. The random addition of new apps was driving me crazy!
post #3229 of 3238 Old 05-12-2017, 05:16 PM

I have a Roku 3 which I put into service about 2 years ago. It's been working fine until today. Now, each time I press any button on the remote, the Roku's connection to the TV is reset (I think) - I'm not sure what's actually happening. The TV goes blank for about 2 seconds and then comes back on - with the TV banner displayed for a second or so, which is consistent with changing inputs on the TV.

I pulled my Roku 2 out of the closet and hooked it back up and everything works fine (using the same network and HDMI cable as the Roku 3). Left the Roku 3 disconnected (from everything, including power) for about 30 minutes and then connected it back up and same problem.

Is my Roku 3 toast?

Thanks,
post #3230 of 3238 Old 05-12-2017, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I have a Roku 3 which I put into service about 2 years ago. It's been working fine until today. Now, each time I press any button on the remote, the Roku's connection to the TV is reset (I think) - I'm not sure what's actually happening. The TV goes blank for about 2 seconds and then comes back on - with the TV banner displayed for a second or so, which is consistent with changing inputs on the TV.

I pulled my Roku 2 out of the closet and hooked it back up and everything works fine (using the same network and HDMI cable as the Roku 3). Left the Roku 3 disconnected (from everything, including power) for about 30 minutes and then connected it back up and same problem.

Is my Roku 3 toast?

Thanks,
I think the Roku 3 supports HDMI-CEC with the latest firmware, so perhaps that got turned on and is causing your issue. Easiest solution to try if you aren't using this feature, is to turn it OFF on your tv set itself. Different tv manufacturers call HDMI-CEC different names. My LG is called "Simplink".
post #3231 of 3238 Old 05-12-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
I think the Roku 3 supports HDMI-CEC with the latest firmware, so perhaps that got turned on and is causing your issue. Easiest solution to try if you aren't using this feature, is to turn it OFF on your tv set itself. Different tv manufacturers call HDMI-CEC different names. My LG is called "Simplink".
Thanks. I've never had that turned on. I just checked again (in case my TV glitched and turned it on by itself) but it is still off.

By the way, I unplugged my TV and let it sit for a while too, just in case, but the problem goes away when I connect the Roku 2 back up. Then returns when I swap-in the Roku 3.
post #3232 of 3238 Old 05-12-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I've never had that turned on. I just checked again (in case my TV glitched and turned it on by itself) but it is still off.

By the way, I unplugged my TV and let it sit for a while too, just in case, but the problem goes away when I connect the Roku 2 back up. Then returns when I swap-in the Roku 3.
I'd guess the next thing to try would be a factory reset/ Default Reset of the Roku 3. I've never had to do one, but it's probably possible.
post #3233 of 3238 Old 05-12-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
I'd guess the next thing to try would be a factory reset/ Default Reset of the Roku 3. I've never had to do one, but it's probably possible.
I just did a factory reset (both through the menu and then pressed the reset button on the device) and the problem persists. I guess I can try a different HDMI cable - I know they can be flaky, although the ones I'm using a pretty good Monoprice cables.

Oh well, the new Premier+ model look comparable so I think I'll just pick on up and try it out.

Thanks for the help.
post #3234 of 3238 Old 05-12-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Oh well, the new Premier+ model look comparable so I think I'll just pick on up and try it out.

Note that if you use the optical S/PDIF or USB connections on your Roku 3 you'll want to upgrade to the Ultra and not Premiere+.

post #3235 of 3238 Old 05-12-2017, 07:43 PM

I found that after installing the Roku Premiere+, it does the same thing.

I started swapping HDMI cables. I found that if I run the Roku P+ directly to my TV, the problem doesn't happen. It only seems to happen when I run the Roku P+ (or 3) through my Denon AVR 3313CI receiver.

I went through the options on the Roku P+ and found one named "1-Touch Play" which was selected and said something like "Tell the TV to switch to this input any time I hit a button on the remote". Sure sounds like my problem. I turned that off and the problem went away.

I put the Roku 3 back into the system to see if that was the problem with that device as well. After turning that feature off, it started working fine.

My assumption at this point is that something on my TV broke such that this feature which used to work senselessly, now causes the TV to blank out. My TV is pretty old (it's a 2009 model Mitsubishi WD-65737). I could try doing a factory reset on the TV, but honestly, turning the feature off works for me (I wouldn't want it on anyway) so I'm happy.

Thanks for all the help.
post #3236 of 3238 Old 05-12-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I found that after installing the Roku Premiere+, it does the same thing.

I started swapping HDMI cables. I found that if I run the Roku P+ directly to my TV, the problem doesn't happen. It only seems to happen when I run the Roku P+ (or 3) through my Denon AVR 3313CI receiver.

I went through the options on the Roku P+ and found one named "1-Touch Play" which was selected and said something like "Tell the TV to switch to this input any time I hit a button on the remote". Sure sounds like my problem. I turned that off and the problem went away.

I put the Roku 3 back into the system to see if that was the problem with that device as well. After turning that feature off, it started working fine.

My assumption at this point is that something on my TV broke such that this feature which used to work senselessly, now causes the TV to blank out. My TV is pretty old (it's a 2009 model Mitsubishi WD-65737). I could try doing a factory reset on the TV, but honestly, turning the feature off works for me (I wouldn't want it on anyway) so I'm happy.

Thanks for all the help.
You didn't mention that you were running these through a receiver. Anyway, good to know you figured out a workaround.
post #3237 of 3238 Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Thank you. I came here to look for the same answer. Also Mitsu DLP, same problem. I will test it in a moment.

BTW1: when I first opened AVS tonight the website downloaded .js file prompting for browser update. It seems like AVS is infected and spreading a virus

BTW2: do not troubleshoot your AV gear with a headlamp in a dark room, especially close to the window. 4 cops showed up 5 minutes later. I thought they were trying to rob me when I heard voices in my backyard. FORTUNATELY I have no gun at home, I could have been dead now. I ended up opening my side door with two guns pointed on my head. Had I had a gun they would likely shoot me thinking I was robbing my own house....

I will leave guns for Police.
post #3238 of 3238 Old Today, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Interesting things I noticed on my Roku 3 perhaps there was an automatic update. They brought back the program info when pressing * on the remote (by the OK button). This was a feature I use a lot and complaint heavily when it was removed, but thank goodness they brought it back. Also, I can now control my amp volume using the volume rocker on the Roku remote! This means I don't have to reach for my Denon remote whenever I want to adjust volume levels. Lastly, when pressing the Home button on the top right will switch to Roku from my TV without needing the amp. Previously I'd have to turn on my Denon and switch to its appropriate Input for Roku. Even though this is a nice feature I'd still like to turn on my Denon amp for Home Theater sound.
post #3239 of 3238 Old Today, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Here was the previous complaint to my reference above...
*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread

...by that I meant when watching Netflix contents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player