Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #451 of 2016 Old 05-02-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Just updated my Roku Stick to firmware 5.0, which I presume is the Roku-3 interface. Very slick and its noticeably smoother and quicker. Can anyone confirm this is the same software as the Roku-3?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2016 Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Just updated my Roku Stick to firmware 5.0, which I presume is the Roku-3 interface. Very slick and its noticeably smoother and quicker. Can anyone confirm this is the same software as the Roku-3?

Yes, it is the same UI; on the Roku 3 it's version 5.0 build 7070. Someone on the Roku forums is claiming that it's "jerky and not fluid when moving the cursor from channel to channel" (here).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #453 of 2016 Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Yes, it is the same UI; on the Roku 3 it's version 5.0 build 7070. Someone on the Roku forums is claiming that it's "jerky and not fluid when moving the cursor from channel to channel" (here).

Build 8029 on the Stick. It's far smoother and faster than 4.9 was. Sounds like that person is unhappy because its TOO fast. Can't please everyone.
CaptainVideoJW likes this.
post #454 of 2016 Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Build 8029 on the Stick. It's far smoother and faster than 4.9 was. Sounds like that person is unhappy because its TOO fast. Can't please everyone.

Who knows? The unit he got the update on is a 2 HD; it's possible that it works better on the Stick. The other factor is that he has 263 channels installed rolleyes.gif.

post #455 of 2016 Old 05-03-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I noticed the Roku remains fairly warm to the touch even after being off for several hours so I am guessing that it really never shuts down completely which is what allows it to come back to the exact spot you left off. This is a nice feature (you don't have to re-initialize or login) every time and it does stay where you left it (great for TV series watching) but just wondering the amount it electricity it uses in this standby state and if it is possible to force a full shutdown to save juice? We don't watch this every day and I try to cut back on wasting energy too. For instance, I have a Comcast cable box that I have in a spare bedroom that also has a standby state but found that it used a lot of juice even when off so now I put it on a power strip and guests just wait a minute or so for it to power up and go through its boot process.
post #456 of 2016 Old 05-03-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

I noticed the Roku remains fairly warm to the touch even after being off for several hours so I am guessing that it really never shuts down completely which is what allows it to come back to the exact spot you left off. This is a nice feature (you don't have to re-initialize or login) every time and it does stay where you left it (great for TV series watching) but just wondering the amount it electricity it uses in this standby state and if it is possible to force a full shutdown to save juice? We don't watch this every day and I try to cut back on wasting energy too. For instance, I have a Comcast cable box that I have in a spare bedroom that also has a standby state but found that it used a lot of juice even when off so now I put it on a power strip and guests and just wait a minute or so for it to power up and go through its boot process.

As per its spec sheet, the Roku 2 XS uses "less than 2 watts when streaming HD video". The Roku 3, with its more powerful processor, has upped this to "less than 3.5 watts". There is no true standby state; it runs a screensaver if you leave it idle. If you want to save its power consumption when not using it you'll have to unplug it (and wait a minute or two for it to reboot when you plug it back in). I wonder if there are remote controlled power strips biggrin.gif. EDIT: Of course there are rolleyes.gifsmile.gif.

post #457 of 2016 Old 05-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I noticed the Roku remains fairly warm to the touch even after being off for several hours so I am guessing that it really never shuts down completely which is what allows it to come back to the exact spot you left off. This is a nice feature (you don't have to re-initialize or login) every time and it does stay where you left it (great for TV series watching) but just wondering the amount it electricity it uses in this standby state and if it is possible to force a full shutdown to save juice? We don't watch this every day and I try to cut back on wasting energy too. For instance, I have a Comcast cable box that I have in a spare bedroom that also has a standby state but found that it used a lot of juice even when off so now I put it on a power strip and guests and just wait a minute or so for it to power up and go through its boot process.
Roku says it comsumes 3.5 watts. You'd have to unplug it every time.

This site estimates $3.94 a year at 13¢ a kWh

http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comments/19v0ye/comparing_the_energy_costs_of_various_streaming/
post #458 of 2016 Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As per its spec sheet, the Roku 2 XS uses "less than 2 watts when streaming HD video". The Roku 3, with its more powerful processor, has upped this to "less than 3.5 watts". There is no true standby state; it runs a screensaver if you leave it idle. If you want to save its power consumption when not using it you'll have to unplug it (and wait a minute or two for it to reboot when you plug it back in).

Thanks.
Quote:
I wonder if there are remote controlled power strips biggrin.gif

I know you are kidding but this is actually a good idea. If not a power strip I could probably find a way via 12v triggers or hooking it to a switched source. MacGyver now gets to work.............
post #459 of 2016 Old 05-03-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

EDIT: Of course there are rolleyes.gifsmile.gif.

LOL - MacGyver has already been there looks like.
post #460 of 2016 Old 05-03-2013, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

Roku says it comsumes 3.5 watts. You'd have to unplug it every time.

This site estimates $3.94 a year at 13¢ a kWh

http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comments/19v0ye/comparing_the_energy_costs_of_various_streaming/

I know this isn't a ton of wasted electricity, but it is still stupid and irritating.

Now that I'm using L.E.D. light bulbs, 3.5 watts sounds like, well, not nothing.

I just got my Roku device, and I noticed in the manual that they brag about the lack of an on/off switch as an exciting and desirable feature. BS. It is just a slice more profit for them. Let me decide how I want it to operate - that means an on/off button on the remote. And while they;re at it, I want a $3.94 annual check, just make it out to "cash". mad.gif
post #461 of 2016 Old 05-03-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll wager that if you had to wait for a Roku to boot up each time you turned it on, $3.94 would sound pretty reasonable.
post #462 of 2016 Old 05-03-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Note that the estimated <3.5 Watts is when it's streaming HD video, when the processor is running pretty much full tilt. It probably draws somewhat less when running the screensaver.

As pointed out, it takes a while to boot (about 29 seconds for me; I only have 19 channels installed and I suspect that it takes somewhat longer if you have a lot). With some always-on STBs (like cable boxes and TiVos) the boot time would be intolerable. It takes 3 or 4 minutes to reboot my TiVo.

post #463 of 2016 Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 51

I too hate the always on devices we're getting stuck with. Also annoying, are that all these boxes have lights on their fronts. The bedroom winds up looking like Christmas time with all the lights if you have more than one something plugged in. Why must the ethernet ports on blu ray players be lighted and blink at night?

Thanks Mike for the remote control power strips-never dreamed something like those were made. I do keep several ''not essential during overnight'' boxes plugged into one and regularly flip it on/off at night/morning. The full size cable box, gets a heavy postal envelope propped in front of it to block the glaring clock. cool.gif

Now if they'd only make a power strip with built in timers, where you could set power on/off times! For the ultra lazy who'll grow tired of turning the strip back on in the mornings...biggrin.gif

We now return to our regularly scheduled Roku discussion thread...smile.gif

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #464 of 2016 Old 05-03-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Use some of the home automation controllers. I used to use them in the late 90s and early 2000s. They have an outlet that you can plug the power cord of a device in and set a schedule to turn it on and off.

For me I'm not worried about devices that draw a few watts. Not when my DLP set draws 215 watts. Twice as much as my led DLP did. Although I dont run my servers 24/7 any more. They draw 250 to 300 watts so that is a big savings for me.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #465 of 2016 Old 05-03-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 325
That very small amount of energy use is probably a good trade-off versus the potential damage and shortening of life of the unit by the continual heating and cooling of the internal electronics.
post #466 of 2016 Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It takes 3 or 4 minutes to reboot my TiVo.
You must have an older Tivo - My PREMIERE takes a full 15 minutes to reboot.eek.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Also annoying, are that all these boxes have lights on their fronts. The bedroom winds up looking like Christmas time with all the lights if you have more than one something plugged in. Why must the ethernet ports on blu ray players be lighted and blink at night?

Check out these LED light blockers at Fry's. Every piece of electronics we buy should have a few of these included in the box.
post #467 of 2016 Old 05-03-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You must have an older Tivo - My PREMIERE takes a full 15 minutes to reboot.eek.gif.

I have the 2 tuner 500 GB Premiere, purchased w/PLS last June for $400 using a friend who's a TiVo SW Dev's "Friends and Family" deal. (Of course, they added a 500 GB 4 tuner model since rolleyes.gif). I just clocked its warm boot time at 4:35 from start to the skip-able animated welcome clip. (A "warm boot" is one initiated in the GUI; I doubt that a cold boot--unplugged and plugged back in--takes much if any longer).

post #468 of 2016 Old 05-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

You must have an older Tivo - My PREMIERE takes a full 15 minutes to reboot.eek.gif
Check out these LED light blockers at Fry's. Every piece of electronics we buy should have a few of these included in the box.

You haven't seen bright lights until you've owned an HDMI switch from Monoprice. I have to use electrical tape to cover the lights.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #469 of 2016 Old 05-03-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:

Thanks!! That is a great price on those. Even from the LightDim website it is 2.5 times as much as the price Frys is selling them for.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #470 of 2016 Old 05-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
If the vampire load bothers you return it and buy an Apple TV...
post #471 of 2016 Old 05-04-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

If the vampire load bothers you return it and buy an Apple TV...

Roku - love it or leave it?
post #472 of 2016 Old 05-04-2013, 05:09 PM

Liked: 10
You can always google "smart power strip" to find a power strip that will turn off items when the TV is turned off.
post #473 of 2016 Old 05-05-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

You haven't seen bright lights until you've owned an HDMI switch from Monoprice. I have to use electrical tape to cover the lights.
If you think that is bad try having the Motorola SB6141 white retail modem with its very bright blue lights and one that keeps blinking even when there is no activity. I was forced to put it under the desk with white electric tap and you can still see the blue lights.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #474 of 2016 Old 05-05-2013, 05:34 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post

You can always google "smart power strip" to find a power strip that will turn off items when the TV is turned off.

I was going to post that... I have one from Monster that powers down my Wii, Roku and Apple TV when the panel is turned off (i.e. set to stand by).

One downside to this, however, is the relatively long boot times for all of the devices listed above when powered up cold. Not sure I would recommend this setup, but I am too lazy to change it myself.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #475 of 2016 Old 05-08-2013, 02:48 PM

Is there a guide somewhere that I can read for the roku settings + plex app settings?
post #476 of 2016 Old 05-08-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Roku 3 streaming on Netflix is crap again today. Using my PS3 the PQ is like night and day.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #477 of 2016 Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 AM

I'm trying to come up with a basic OTA DVR and streaming solution. Would it work to put a tuner into my computer to record the few programs we watch and then stream them using plex? How does a sound bar work with a Roku 3?
post #478 of 2016 Old 05-09-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guurn View Post

I'm trying to come up with a basic OTA DVR and streaming solution.
Aereo is supposed to come to Minneapolis this year. That will provide you with a DVR-in-the-cloud for OTA TV for $8 per month. Not sure why you would want to DVR streaming.

http://blog.aereo.com/
post #479 of 2016 Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 AM

Since we only will be recording very few shows it doesn't seem worth the 8 bucks a month. I already have everything but the Roku. Aereo is being challenged in court atm isn't it?
post #480 of 2016 Old 05-09-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guurn View Post

Since we only will be recording very few shows it doesn't seem worth the 8 bucks a month. I already have everything but the Roku. Aereo is being challenged in court atm isn't it?
Yes they are. They won their court battle in New York a few weeks ago but they still face considerable challenges.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page