post #541 of 2008 Old 05-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

What I don't understand is why do I have to manually reboot my Roku 3 every six or seven days when the UI gets lagy even when I don't use it much anymore? If would be better if you can just turn it off because I don't care how little power it uses. Leaving any device on 24/7 requires a reboot after a while.

Should have never wasted my money on the Roku 3 and looking to sell it if anyone wants it.

I agree, it doesn't seem you want support from us, but only to complain about the Roku.
Return, exchange it, sell it, trash it. Just please stop whining here. That's not what we're here for. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2008 Old 05-26-2013, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
It's worth less if abused.
CaptainVideoJW likes this.
post #543 of 2008 Old 05-26-2013, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

I agree, it doesn't seem you want support from us, but only to complain about the Roku.
Return, exchange it, sell it, trash it. Just please stop whining here. That's not what we're here for. Thank you

Who's "we" that you speak for? Maybe you don't like complaints, but I don't like reading your intolerant complaints about complaints. Different strokes for different blokes.

I am happy to hear negative reactions, even of people throwing their equipment out of the window. Actually, especially those ones, they're the best! There's much to learn from hard luck stories - as long as somebody isn't spamming the forum with them.

Thank You.
post #544 of 2008 Old 05-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
He has been, read his other posts.

I don't mind reading negative posts either. But going on, and on, and on, while refusing to do anything to remedy the problem isn't in the spirit of this thread. Just my opinion.
post #545 of 2008 Old 05-26-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Burger View Post

as long as somebody isn't spamming the forum with them.

Which is exactly what happened. Duh
post #546 of 2008 Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 43
You people are not very helpful. Like I will say before.
1- The Roku 3 is not defective because it does not do it during off hours only during peak hours.
2- I know it is a overloaded CDN during peak hours and since I am not on Open Connect then it is my fault.
3- I will just use my PS3 for now on like I did today because the Roku 3 streamed like crap again.

I guess all of you are on Open Connect and you can all get lost. I just wanted to see if anyone else was having problems and I was not trolling. So I said I wanted to sell my Roku 3 no need to get nasty. I am done here you won't hear me complaining in this post anymore.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #547 of 2008 Old 05-26-2013, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

He has been, read his other posts.

I don't mind reading negative posts either. But going on, and on, and on, while refusing to do anything to remedy the problem isn't in the spirit of this thread. Just my opinion.

OK, sorry if I was trigger happy. I don't want to review the thread and decide who is being annoying . I don't want to know the truth. I can't handle the truth.
post #548 of 2008 Old 05-27-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

1- The Roku 3 is not defective because it does not do it during off hours only during peak hours.
2- I know it is a overloaded CDN during peak hours and since I am not on Open Connect then it is my fault.
3- I will just use my PS3 for now on like I did today because the Roku 3 streamed like crap again.

I guess all of you are on Open Connect and you can all get lost. I just wanted to see if anyone else was having problems and I was not trolling. So I said I wanted to sell my Roku 3 no need to get nasty. I am done here you won't hear me complaining in this post anymore.

Sorry you had a bad experience here. A lot of it has to do with tone of posts and it goes downhill from there. For what it's worth, I'm not on Open Connect and I seem to be streaming fine on my 3. It's in a remote bedroom relative to the wireless router (Apple AirPort Extreme)

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Paradigm Signature 1.5 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #549 of 2008 Old 05-27-2013, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Being on open connect has nothing to do with YOUR streaming quality. I'm on fios, don't have open connect and have absolutely no issues streaming during prime time with my R3.

It has been said to you numerous times that your ISP blows. Time Warner in NYC during anytime sucks. It happens to be that you, for whatever reason, can't use the R3 when a majority of NYC is on your crappy, oversubscribed, pathetic service. We heard you many times over and over again, on multiple threads in multiple forums, sometimes in topics that don't relate.

So before you need get out of here, my offer $20 still stands.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #550 of 2008 Old 05-27-2013, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

Select the channel then press (*) button.

Thank you that worked. Must have missed that one.
post #551 of 2008 Old 05-27-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

Being on open connect has nothing to do with YOUR streaming quality. I'm on fios, don't have open connect and have absolutely no issues streaming during prime time with my R3.

It has been said to you numerous times that your ISP blows. Time Warner in NYC during anytime sucks. It happens to be that you, for whatever reason, can't use the R3 when a majority of NYC is on your crappy, oversubscribed, pathetic service. We heard you many times over and over again, on multiple threads in multiple forums, sometimes in topics that don't relate.

So before you need get out of here, my offer $20 still stands.

Thanks. I know TWC blows but they got a monopoly in my area so it is either these losers or no Internet.

As I also said before I think a simple channel update to improve the UI and increase the buffer will improve the streaming experience. As I also said the PS3 use to also stream bad especially with Netflix app v2.10 which is why i got the Roku in the first place but after Netflix app v2.12 it has been much more reliable on congested networks.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #552 of 2008 Old 05-27-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am done here

What happened to this?
post #553 of 2008 Old 05-27-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:

What I don't understand is why do I have to manually reboot my Roku 3 every six or seven days when the UI gets lagy even when I don't use it much anymore? If would be better if you can just turn it off because I don't care how little power it uses. Leaving any device on 24/7 requires a reboot after a while.

Should have never wasted my money on the Roku 3 and looking to sell it if anyone wants it.

I've not run into any issues with mine. I'll use it alot for a few days and then won't touch it for a week or two. When I come back to it it's still working just fine. If it had handled 3D from Netflix and Vudu I would have picked up a second one. But since it doesn't I decided to continue using my two Roku 2 boxes in other locations.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #554 of 2008 Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 AM

Liked: 10
Have 2 issues with Roku 3 if anyone can help:

1) I run it through Marantz receiver which then sends the video through an HDMI matrix to a 1080p TV. I'm noticing in the Display Settings of the Roku that it is set to output 720p, but the TV is receiving a 1080p signal (maybe the receiver upscales?). When I change this to 1080p, the TV then switches to 480p. Anyone know what is happening here?

2) The Roku 3 doesn't have a separate audio out anymore, but I use an audio matrix to distribute sound, is there a way to get a separate sound on of this box?
post #555 of 2008 Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
reddice:

have you considered taking the Roku off of DHCP and assigning a static IP address? (usually through your router)

I have over 25 devices on my network- and assigning static IPs on my Rokus and Media server solved a lot of performance issues.
post #556 of 2008 Old 05-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1212 View Post

Have 2 issues with Roku 3 if anyone can help:

1) I run it through Marantz receiver which then sends the video through an HDMI matrix to a 1080p TV. I'm noticing in the Display Settings of the Roku that it is set to output 720p, but the TV is receiving a 1080p signal (maybe the receiver upscales?). When I change this to 1080p, the TV then switches to 480p. Anyone know what is happening here?

Have you tried to connect the Roku (set @ 1080P) directly to your TV to see what happens? I would venture to guess that your Marantz is doing something funky to the signal...
Quote:
2) The Roku 3 doesn't have a separate audio out anymore, but I use an audio matrix to distribute sound, is there a way to get a separate sound on of this box?

I got my Roku 3 with the idea that I would have to settle for PCM audio via my TV's optical output to my Denon AVR 3802. To my surprise, my TV is passing DD 5.1 via it's optical out (I have an older LCD Samsung LN52A630) - at least with HBO GO. This is very odd considering Samsung has specifically stated that this should not be the case - it's only supposed to pass DD 5.1 if it is from an OTA broadcast from the internal tuner. Apparently there is more to this. I'm guessing it has something to do with the handshake between the Roku and the TV. I made sure my Roku was set to "surround" in the audio settings...
But anyway, I digress. If your receiver is capable of switching HDMI, which it appears to be, why can't you send the audio out from it , to your matrix? Doesn't your Marantz have a digital out? If not, try what I did above and see if you're lucky smile.gif

-Ryan
post #557 of 2008 Old 05-31-2013, 09:26 PM

Liked: 10
My roku3 streams Amazon Prime just fine (even on Friday nights). The only application I have issues with is MLB. That app drops out constantly (or perhaps there are just too many folks streaming Giants' games). :-)
post #558 of 2008 Old 05-31-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 50
As long as your ISP provides consistant high bandwidth, you should not have any problems with streams any time of the day. We've been streaming to 4 or more devices at a time with no problems. Our slowest download speed runs at 50-55Mps (prime times of the day) and at other times runs up to 80Mps. Hopefully most ISPs will provide this in the future as streaming becomes more common place (which it already is in many places).

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #559 of 2008 Old 06-01-2013, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
^^ At my cabin I have 5Mbps DSL service. I can stream HD all day, any day. Depending on perspective of course, but I wouldn't classify this as high bandwidth, but DSL is consistent by nature (barring all physical line problems).

post #560 of 2008 Old 06-01-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

^^ At my cabin I have 5Mbps DSL service. I can stream HD all day, any day. Depending on perspective of course, but I wouldn't classify this as high bandwidth, but DSL is consistent by nature (barring all physical line problems).

Wow, that's good to hear. I had problems with buffering when we had less than 12Mps, but that was because we had multiple streamers running at the same time. Are you only using the one Roku3?.

At the moment we have multiple Roku's, Blu-Rays, Tablets, Computers, and Gaming Devices connected to the net, so I went with the fastest bandwidth available in our area (they said in some areas they can guarantee 100Mps, but not where we live). That is the only service we get, no cable TV, or Dish, etc. We do use OTA for local channels via antenna (which is all in HD and Free).

Ray

post #561 of 2008 Old 06-01-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

This is unfortunately the fastest available here. When we stream Netflix from two displays the quality is still good, although there is a significantly longer initial buffer time. However, we cannot simultaneously stream from Amazon or HBO Go, and Hulu occasionally stops to buffer. We also have several other internet connected devices, but I've prioritized QoS for the Roku's.

There are benefits though - I can step out on my deck and see nothing but a beautiful view. I'll take that tradeoff any day. smile.gif

post #562 of 2008 Old 06-01-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Nothing beats the best from mother nature!

When we decided to 'cut the cable' I had to find something that could replace it and fortunately Comcast (the only option besides DSL) has a pretty decent service in our area.

Where is your cabin btw, just curious. My parents had land up in Pagosa Springs, was absolutely beautiful!

Ray

post #563 of 2008 Old 06-01-2013, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.

post #564 of 2008 Old 06-02-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.

Awesome! Enjoy!!!

Ray

post #565 of 2008 Old 06-02-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzlobo View Post

...(or perhaps there are just too many folks streaming Giants' games). :-)

Guilty as charged...watching Giants/Cardinals right now on my Roku!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Paradigm Signature 1.5 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #566 of 2008 Old 06-03-2013, 04:53 AM

Question for those streaming MLB. Is it me or does it seem that MLB does not have that great a picture on the Roku. I do not see a difference between my XDS and 3. The only other factor would be my service (ATT DSL). Any thoughts?
post #567 of 2008 Old 06-03-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post

Question for those streaming MLB. Is it me or does it seem that MLB does not have that great a picture on the Roku. I do not see a difference between my XDS and 3. The only other factor would be my service (ATT DSL). Any thoughts?

While my Roku MLB picture is pretty solid, it is inferior to the identical broadcast on Directv through satellite. I just chock it up to a bandwidth issue. When I had both the MLB at Bat and the full MLB subscription I noticed the difference. I've since dropped the Directv subscription for the current season and I find watching the Roku broadcast to be quite acceptable.

My current SACD list
post #568 of 2008 Old 06-03-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

While my Roku MLB picture is pretty solid, it is inferior to the identical broadcast on Directv through satellite. I just chock it up to a bandwidth issue. When I had both the MLB at Bat and the full MLB subscription I noticed the difference. I've since dropped the Directv subscription for the current season and I find watching the Roku broadcast to be quite acceptable.

Thanks. That is just how I was seeing it. (no pun intended)
post #569 of 2008 Old 06-03-2013, 01:52 PM

Liked: 11
Hey guys,

I use PLEX to stream my HD movies containing HD audio.

When I stream my MKV files via PLex and my Roku 3, my AVR (Dennon 1310i) displays the audio as Dolby D even though the audio should be DTS HD.

If I stream my MKV movies via my Oppo, my AVR will correctly display DTS HD.

Question is, does the Roku 3 pass HD Audio to a receiver for decoding? Or can the Roku not hndle HD audio?

My apologies if this has already been answered. Was in a hurry and just decided to ask the question.

Thank you in advance smile.gif
post #570 of 2008 Old 06-03-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post

I've never saw MLB streamed but I can't conceive of ANY streaming device that would do justice to their cable broadcasts. Man, every time I watch a game on my display I am stunned at how amazingly better their PQ is compared to anything else on cable. I think it is the best HD channel broadcast, bar none. If the stream is half as good as their actual broadcast, that has to be pretty good.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page