post #31 of 2213 Old 03-07-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Pretty sure and it's still saying that it hasn't shipped. I ordered another piece of equipment from Amazon about five hours after I ordered the Roku 3 and they just sent me a shipping notice for that, shipped via ONTRAC and scheduled to get here tomorrow. Still plenty of time for them to ship it today for delivery tomorrow. I just hope that they haven't run out of Roku 3's.

I'm still a bit surprised at them taking my money a day before they shipped; I don't think they've ever done that before, though I guess I can't be sure.

You always seem to have issues with shipping ! I recall a certain Sony S390 causing you some headaches last year ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2213 Old 03-07-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

You always seem to have issues with shipping ! I recall a certain Sony S390 causing you some headaches last year ;-)

Not always biggrin.gif. It has finally shipped, via OnTrac as expected, scheduled to be here tomorrow. Amazon does realize that OnTrac within its limited region is overnight and they're relying on that. They still sometimes ship when they'd ship 2-day with Fedex or UPS and I get it a day earlier, but not this time.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #33 of 2213 Old 03-07-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Mine is on the way to me from BestBuy. I'm looking forward to playing with it Friday night. Hopefully UPS doesnt give me any grief with delivery.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #34 of 2213 Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Mine is on the way to me from BestBuy. I'm looking forward to playing with it Friday night. Hopefully UPS doesnt give me any grief with delivery.

Good deal with BB. I have a gift card and RZ points but I hate waiting for shipping. I usually obsess about it and then order online with store pickup. The adrenaline rush walking in the store does wonders for me.biggrin.gif

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #35 of 2213 Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Mine is on the way from Roku but it gets here when it gets here. U plp are nuts.
post #36 of 2213 Old 03-07-2013, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Mine showed up today from Amazon. It's the first Roku box I've ever used. I also have an Apple TV. I bought this for access to Amazon and Vudu. It seems very nice. Netflix doesn't seem to default to 5.1, even though I told the Roku I have a surround sound set-up. Also, when Netflix movies start, they are always low-res and blurry and need a few seconds to "pop" into HD. The Apple TV doesn't do this. I've seen people mention "RGB" and other color settings, but I don't see a place to set that here. I've paired it up with my Nexus 7 and using the remote app was nice, though I then miss the tactile response of using the arrow keys on the remote.
post #37 of 2213 Old 03-07-2013, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

It would be just great if these zillion codecs went away. They aren't needed for the most part. Neither is FLAC in particular. Roku has to be concerned with media content rights. Not meant as a stream from NAS device. In any case, Plex works fine for that, and the Plex server runs on the NAS.

Philip

I agree to some extent - I'm not enamored of FLAC per se, but it's become the standard for lossless codecs. I'd be happy using any non-proprietary format. And I'm not sure what you mean about "Roku has to be concerned about media content rights", I assume from a legal standpoint. But the companies you've mentioned, as well as WD, Boxee, Netgear, etc., seemed to have figured that out.

As far as Plex goes, as far as I know it transcodes everything to MP3 format before sending it to the Roku and, again, I can already stream MP3s any number of ways...

- Mark
post #38 of 2213 Old 03-07-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post

Netflix doesn't seem to default to 5.1, even though I told the Roku I have a surround sound set-up.

This is because they pass-through Netflix's 5.1 DD+ sound and many older devices can't decode DD+. (DD+ is supposedly easily converted into basic DD via a computationally lightweight process, but that would require licensing Dolby tech which would cost them). They could detect whether the downstream devices can deal with DD+ by examining the E-EDID but they don't (WD TV Live can do this). Their solution was to make it persistent; turn 5.1 sound on when you play something and it will be on for every title which features it which you play thereafter until you turn it off before playing something. The same thing goes for closed-captions/subtitles.

post #39 of 2213 Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Does the Roku 3 upscale SD content to 1080p through Netflix like the PS3 does?

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Sony PS3 Slim Wired
Cats are the best pets.
post #40 of 2213 Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

nice, but you now have homework. does it output in RGB or YCbCr? does it give you the option to change it.

Groan. Its a big fat RGB only. I've no idea what Roku are thinking. The UI looks blah and certainly not 1080p native. Big disappointment.
post #41 of 2213 Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

You are describing media players like the Popcorn Hour that cost 2-3 times as much. You can not reasonably expect all of that in a $99 device.
Just because the folks making the PH have the audacity to charge the same price as they originally did does not justify your argument. The technology of the units are very similar, with the limitation of codecs maybe requiring a faster processor. My bet is that Roku is looking at the number of folks that require NAS streaming and are simply not making it a priority. The reason their device is as successful as it is is because they have a limited focus and they do a good job managing its development.

Maybe if we send then emails telling them what the market is looking for then they will more likely incorporate it in a future revision.

My $.02
post #42 of 2213 Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The UI looks blah and certainly not 1080p native.

Looks fine in pictures and video and a large improvement over the previous UI. You expect too much.

post #43 of 2213 Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Groan. Its a big fat RGB only. I've no idea what Roku are thinking. The UI looks blah and certainly not 1080p native. Big disappointment.

Really!

Oh well it is crossed off my list.

I have no idea why Roku is doing this when pretty much every other consumer device either has YCbCr as default or an option.

It has caused multiple black level/color space issues with the Roku 2's - check the Roku forums.

Anyone checked if it supports 24P output - if it had this and an option for YCbCr I was getting one - without no.....
post #44 of 2213 Old 03-07-2013, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks fine in pictures and video and a large improvement over the previous UI. You expect too much.

You're probably right. I do wish it didn't output rgb though.
post #45 of 2213 Old 03-07-2013, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Really!

Oh well it is crossed off my list.

I have no idea why Roku is doing this when pretty much every other consumer device either has YCbCr as default or an option.

It has caused multiple black level/color space issues with the Roku 2's - check the Roku forums.

Anyone checked if it supports 24P output - if it had this and an option for YCbCr I was getting one - without no.....

No 24p out.
post #46 of 2213 Old 03-08-2013, 12:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I actually ordered both Roku 3 and a WD TV Play--I gotta check it out biggrin.gif. It does have both 24p output and color space setting: auto, RGB High, RGB Low, YCrCb. (I'm not entirely sure about 24p; the WD TV Live has that option). The one thing that would make it nearly perfect would be an Amazon player; it has Netflix, VUDU and Hulu Plus as well as YouTube (no official channel on Roku though there are unofficial private ones).
Theresa likes this.

post #47 of 2213 Old 03-08-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

I actually ordered both Roku 3 and a WD TV Play--I gotta check it out biggrin.gif. It does have both 24p output and color space setting: auto, RGB High, RGB Low, YCrCb. (I'm not entirely sure about 24p; the WD TV Live has that option). The one thing that would make it nearly perfect would be an Amazon player; it has Netflix, VUDU and Hulu Plus as well as YouTube (no official channel on Roku though there are unofficial private ones).

huh? you are not very clear. the roku has color space option? or the just WD? roku has 24p but you are not entirely sure? but the wd tv has the 24p option? the roku does have both amazon players, or are you talking about the WD?

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #48 of 2213 Old 03-08-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

huh? you are not very clear. the roku has color space option? or the just WD? roku has 24p but you are not entirely sure? but the wd tv has the 24p option? the roku does have both amazon players, or are you talking about the WD?

He was talking about the WD.....
post #49 of 2213 Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

He was talking about the WD.....

Exactly. Sorry for the confusion biggrin.gif. The WD TV Live has a color space setting and 24p output; I just ordered the WD TV Play, the new, cheaper version (it lacks some DLNA features that I don't care about). I can see the color space setting in the WD TV Play's manual, but the 24p option isn't in either its manual or the TV Live's. Apparently it gives you an option to "match video frame rate" when you set resolution; that's when it asks about color space.

post #50 of 2213 Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

balls. i missed your post until now. Roku will continue blaming other manufacturers for their own idiot behavior.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #51 of 2213 Old 03-08-2013, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
my initial impression...

In my den (my main viewing area) I stream from a PS3 to a Panasonic Viera 55GT50. The PS3 is my workhorse. When I got wind of this thread I thought I may give the Roku3 a shot. I received and setup yesterday.

I mainly purchased off the strength of its low power consumption and HBOGo.

Pros:

• Very fast interface, quick access to channels
  • A wealth of useful channels
  • Low power consumption
  • Dual band WiFi
  • Roku remote app
  • Netflix app has ability to turn off some subtitles if not all (my PS3 could not turn off subtitles for some titles in particular regions)

Cons:

• Not really compatible with my soundbar. I use optical switchbox so the only way I can connect Roku is with HDMI. Viera passthrough doesnt come out DD so with my current soundbar, passing all audio through the TV via HDMI, downgrades my sound.
  • Switching from wired to wireless is not seamless. Roku searches for wireless whenever switching back from wired connection instead of retaining previous wireless network info
  • Not able to manually change DNS. I use Unblock, so I had to put the DNS in my router...which I would rather not because then it puts all my other streaming devices on that network behind Unblock's DNS. Not extremely huge for me because I have 3 different networks
  • No 3D. Not even on VuDu. Why?
  • HBO Go movies may be ok quality but I was trying to watch Boxing and it was not smooth at all. Boxing is half the reason for me to watch HBOGo. Everything else on there is the other half.
  • No native YouTube app? Heard that you can access through Videobuzz channel.

All in all, this box will get some burn, giving the PS3 a breather, but its not ready to replace any of my other streamers completely. For me it doesnt do anything life-changing, but if any of you dont really have another good streaming device...like a PS3, the Roku would be great for you.

Now....whats up with the WD TV Play?
post #52 of 2213 Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 AM

Does anyone know what the h.264 profile/level support is for the Roku 3 (for the USB channel or local streaming)? I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

(Crossing my fingers for Hi10P support....)
post #53 of 2213 Old 03-08-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 60
How is the remote battery life especially when using the headphones since the remote uses regular AA batteries.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Sony PS3 Slim Wired
Cats are the best pets.
post #54 of 2213 Old 03-08-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synistr View Post

Netflix app has ability to turn off some subtitles if not all (my PS3 could not turn off subtitles for some titles in particular regions)

I've noticed that some English language titles in Spanish or Portuguese speaking regions (i.e., Mexico and Brazil) have subtitle choices which do not include "None". Sometimes it's just one language and sometimes it's "Spanish" or "Brazilian Portuguese".

post #55 of 2213 Old 03-08-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Probably going to take more than a day to find that out.
post #56 of 2213 Old 03-08-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Got mine and have finished playing around with it for the moment. By and large I like it; the interface is much nicer and faster. It could have been nicer still if so much real estate hadn't been used for ads, but you gotta pay the bills somehow.

My one problem is its extremely slow response to IR codes. Response to the RF remote is instantaneous, with no lag whatsoever. I hate having to use multiple remotes but this might drive me to it. I never used the Roku XS's remote at all and that the OK button isn't in the the middle of the direction pad is really awkward for me. I just looked through a box full of remotes for a six or seven different devices and they all had that in common.

It took a while for me to register the new box with my accounts for the various services. Sadly, VUDU doesn't seem to be handing out promotional credits for registering a new device any more.

post #57 of 2213 Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Got mine and have finished playing around with it for the moment. By and large I like it; the interface is much nicer and faster. It could have been nicer still if so much real estate hadn't been used for ads, but you gotta pay the bills somehow.

My one problem is its extremely slow response to IR codes. Response to the RF remote is instantaneous, with no lag whatsoever. I hate having to use multiple remotes but this might drive me to it. I never used the Roku XS's remote at all and that the OK button isn't in the the middle of the direction pad is really awkward for me. I just looked through a box full of remotes for a six or seven different devices and they all had that in common.

It took a while for me to register the new box with my accounts for the various services. Sadly, VUDU doesn't seem to be handing out promotional credits for registering a new device any more.
You may have reached Vudu's limit. I think they only give you the credit on the first five devices you activate.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #58 of 2213 Old 03-08-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
If it's a Harmony remote you may need to adjust device response settings.
post #59 of 2213 Old 03-08-2013, 04:17 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

You may have reached Vudu's limit. I think they only give you the credit on the first five devices you activate.

yeah, not sure about that because I know havent registered on any more than 2 devices and it didnt give me a credit either
post #60 of 2213 Old 03-08-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 851
I've received Vudu credit on at least nine devices. Although the one thing I dislike about Vudu is I always need to play musical players since they only allow five devices registered to an account at one time. So I need to remove and add devices depending on the one I want to use to watch a Vudu title.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page