Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #631 of 2056 Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Also not to change topics but the PS3 released a borked update 4.45 that bricked many PS3 luckily mine was not affected.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2056 Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Flyer91: That's one hell of a room!!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #633 of 2056 Old 06-20-2013, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just used one of the HDMI inputs on my Onkyo 1010, and renamed it to Roku 3.

P.S. I got the PS3 update and 'so far' it appears that I'm OK.
post #634 of 2056 Old 06-20-2013, 12:40 PM

Thanks scirica!!

It was a task that took my old butt 3 months + to get completed.
I'm well into my 60's now and don't get about like I used to, so I'm slow .......... both body 'and' brain (as you can tell by it taking me a push from Sabrewulf to come up with the idea of a different music app). redface.gif

I'm just 'really' happy with the way the R3 is pulling it all together so well!! smile.gif
post #635 of 2056 Old 06-20-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer91 View Post

I just recently finished a new home theater system, and I find it amusing that the least expensive component in it (the R3) is now the heart of the entire thing.

Here are some photos of it:

I have but one thought...CURTAINS???! biggrin.gif

How good is it (watching), with that much light pouring on it during the day?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #636 of 2056 Old 06-20-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The vast majority of Netflix titles with any HD video have Super HD encodes (at 4300- and 5800 Kbps). You can only get them if you ISP has signed up for Open Connect access.

Curiosity got the best of me so I signed up for an Unblock-US trial and re-configured the PS3 Slim (didn't want to change my router settings for this test so the Roku was not an option). Took all of 10 minutes and I was viewing SuperHD (for real this time). That Example Short 23.976 ramps right up there to 5800 kbps. Not sure how much difference I can see between it and 3850 kbps on a 46" LCD but I'll play more with it. I was just happy that it works. smile.gif

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #637 of 2056 Old 06-20-2013, 01:23 PM

Yeah .. the windows are pretty big ..... here's a shot of them when I was turning the room into a HT warehouse (much to my wife's displeasure) ....

And a couple more daytime shots of the TV:

We are in the Ca. Sierras, just outside of Yosemite N.P. (but not too close to the fires ..... yet!!).

These windows go up to 2 stories and are north facing, so the light is not direct sunlight.
The newer LED TV's put out amazing amounts of light and perform very well in a bright room, where a projector would simply not do well at all .... hence the 90" LED AQUOS instead of a projector system.

The issue is actually not with daytime viewing, it's at night when the room is dark and there is some light behind the seating area that causes a distracting 'hot spot' reflection on the screen.
All the pictures I posted including the last one of the Bengals and Ravens players, were taken during daylight with a point-n-shoot camera.

As far a curtains, my wife likes the view as much (or more) than I like the TV, and so there will be no curtains ........... or it will be curtains for me!! wink.gif
post #638 of 2056 Old 06-20-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 55

The picture onscreen is pretty sharp I must say, even in full daylight.  I would not have expected such great detail, but those are impressive. 

CaptainVideoJW likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #639 of 2056 Old 06-22-2013, 03:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

I would attribute this to your internet connection. On my Roku 3 all my apps start in the highest quality and do not change, granted I have cable internet at 20mbps.

I'd say it's mlb.com. I have 50M/50M service and Amazon/Netflix stream perfectly. MLB.com drops out constantly. Do you have mlb.com?
post #640 of 2056 Old 06-22-2013, 06:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzlobo View Post

I'd say it's mlb.com. I have 50M/50M service and Amazon/Netflix stream perfectly. MLB.com drops out constantly. Do you have mlb.com?

I have MLB.com. I agree that it will not be as good as a telecast (OTA, cable, sat, etc). But the WORST is the Centerfield camera at Citi Field for NY Mets broadcasts. I was watching the away feed (WPIX, not SNY) from Philadelphia last night (Fri) and the picture was much better. The question is, where do the feeds enter? Do they enter the internet from a central location or at each game site. Could that be a factor?
post #641 of 2056 Old 06-23-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

I have Fios for my internet. I need to look into this unBlock US. Does it have any negative effects on the native bandwidth you are getting via Fios without it?

I have not noticed any. I switched back and forth alot in the beginning to check it out.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #642 of 2056 Old 06-23-2013, 02:32 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post

I have MLB.com. I agree that it will not be as good as a telecast (OTA, cable, sat, etc). But the WORST is the Centerfield camera at Citi Field for NY Mets broadcasts. I was watching the away feed (WPIX, not SNY) from Philadelphia last night (Fri) and the picture was much better. The question is, where do the feeds enter? Do they enter the internet from a central location or at each game site. Could that be a factor?

I haven't nailed down the dropouts to a specific camera, but Giants games drop out whether they're playing on the road or in SF. It's just not good service. I called last week to have my stream moved over to Directv, but the good people in India told me MLB tv and MLB streaming are 2 different businesses.

I think I'll try configuring my openwrt router to prioritize roku traffic to minimize bottlenecks.
post #643 of 2056 Old 06-23-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Does anyone know if the Roku 3 will play the 1080p quality of the Amazon Instant Streaming movies? I usually just download the movies to my TiVo Premier but if the Roku 3 plays the highest quality of these movies, I'll just use it from now on...

lujan
664 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #644 of 2056 Old 06-23-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Does anyone know if the Roku 3 will play the 1080p quality of the Amazon Instant Streaming movies? I usually just download the movies to my TiVo Premier but if the Roku 3 plays the highest quality of these movies, I'll just use it from now on...

Yes but a better question is how much is it compressed? That depends on your connection and in any case the bit rate will not be Blu-ray quality.
post #645 of 2056 Old 06-23-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Does anyone know if the Roku 3 will play the 1080p quality of the Amazon Instant Streaming movies?

To date, Amazon Instant streaming is 720p24. If you download HD purchases or rentals from Amazon into your TiVo it's 1080i30, but AFAIK that's the only platform for which that's true; HD downloads to PC are also 720p24.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #646 of 2056 Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

To date, Amazon Instant streaming is 720p24. If you download HD purchases or rentals from Amazon into your TiVo it's 1080i30, but AFAIK that's the only platform for which that's true; HD downloads to PC are also 720p24.

Most of the content I get from Amazon on my TiVos is in 1080P24, not 1080i30, but they are also TV shows. Not sure if the movies are in 1080P24 since I will usually rent those from Vudu.

Of course you need a Series 4 TiVo to be able to view 1080P24 content from Amazon. A series 3 TiVo will only show the Amazon downloaded content at max of 1080i.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #647 of 2056 Old 06-23-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Most of the content I get from Amazon on my TiVos is in 1080P24, not 1080i30, but they are also TV shows. Not sure if the movies are in 1080P24 since I will usually rent those from Vudu.

Of course you need a Series 4 TiVo to be able to view 1080P24 content from Amazon. A series 3 TiVo will only show the Amazon downloaded content at max of 1080i.

Okay--my only experience with it is beta testing HD Amazon movies on my TiVo Series3 "OLED". (Which no doubt violates NDA, but it was ages ago).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #648 of 2056 Old 06-23-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer91 View Post

Yeah .. the windows are pretty big ..... here's a shot of them when I was turning the room into a HT warehouse (much to my wife's displeasure) ....

And a couple more daytime shots of the TV:

We are in the Ca. Sierras, just outside of Yosemite N.P. (but not too close to the fires ..... yet!!).

These windows go up to 2 stories and are north facing, so the light is not direct sunlight.
The newer LED TV's put out amazing amounts of light and perform very well in a bright room, where a projector would simply not do well at all .... hence the 90" LED AQUOS instead of a projector system.

The issue is actually not with daytime viewing, it's at night when the room is dark and there is some light behind the seating area that causes a distracting 'hot spot' reflection on the screen.
All the pictures I posted including the last one of the Bengals and Ravens players, were taken during daylight with a point-n-shoot camera.

As far a curtains, my wife likes the view as much (or more) than I like the TV, and so there will be no curtains ........... or it will be curtains for me!! wink.gif

Thats a LOT of drivers on one wall...can you feel the air blowing when you're watching something?

Nice setup!

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #649 of 2056 Old 06-24-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzlobo View Post

I do not have MLB.com. I noticed the other evening on a movie I was watching the low quality initially. It was the first time it did that, before it had always started in HD.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #650 of 2056 Old 06-27-2013, 11:12 AM

Well ........ I have ran into a 'huge' snag with the R3 .......

When streaming Netflix, the R3's LFE channel to my Buttkicker amps is almost non-existent.

I thought that maybe there was something in my Onkyo's set up for the R3's channel that was different than my BD player's (which outputs a strong LFE signal .... perfectly matching that of my DTV DVR perfectly) so I swapped the HDMI ports between the R3 and my BD player .......... and unfortunately the weak LFE followed the Roku.

This is really disappointing because I can't increase the LFE signal on the R3's channel in the Onkyo (you can only reduce a given channel's LFE signal in fixed 10db steps) ..... so to use it with the R3 it means I have to reset the Buttkicker amp's levels manually for the R3 .......... and if I don't want to launch my theater seating in to low earth orbit (there is a max of 4000 watts RMS driving the 4 seating transducers) I better be double dog sure I reduce it before I play a BD or use my DTV DVR!!

I might be able to kluge a sort of "semi-happy medium" by reducing the LFE signal in all my other device channels, and set the Buttkicker amps to a level that is between the "best match balancing-act" 10 db reduction for all those channels, and the level I normally use.

If that doesn't work satisfactorily........ I'll put the R3 in the bedroom and give the G-Box Midnight MX2 a try.
I'm in a Droid world anyway, so that might be a plus that makes it equal to the R3.

I'm 'really' bummed out by this because the R3'3 GUI and app are about perfect for my needs .......... and I really like it's speed, ease of use and performance.
But ......... it's absolutely 'must' be able to put out an LFE signal of normal strength ....... frown.gif

P.S. To cavchameleon ............ yeah, I don't have to deal with unsightly oscillation fans to keep us cool.
Simply pump it up and play something bass heavy! wink.gif
post #651 of 2056 Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 AM

Liked: 19
That doesn't make any sense. Dolby Digital is a bit stream that the Roku simply passes along to your receiver. What are you comparing this to?
post #652 of 2056 Old 06-27-2013, 12:01 PM

Yeah, I can't argue with that ......... but it 'is' actually doing this.

I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT500 BD player and the DTV DVR HR23-700 DVR that both deliver the same LFE signal level.
I set the Buttkicker amps to the same level for them both and get the same (albeit .... subjective) seating movement.

For a "standard" comparison I went to DTV on demand and played the last scenes of Tears of the Sun (the battle scenes with all the gun fire, explosions and FA18 afterburners) then by using the pause features I'm semi-syncing the scenes to the same scenes on my Panny streaming Netflix, and A/B'ing the seat movement that the Buttkickers provide (like you would with a set of speakers).
When I do that with the R3, the explosions and the afterburners when the Hornets take off from the carrier, are barley felt, while with the Panny and my DTV DVR they will make a soda can in the cup holder foam over.

So ... like I indicated, I swapped the HDMI cables to see if it was something in my Onkyo 1010 AVR, and the weak LFE follows the R3. (????)

My Buttkicker amps are set at low cut off, high cut on, ~55hz cross over, and about 1/3 level.
To get 'close to the same results' from the R3 I have to bump the level all the way up and it is still not quite as strong.
If I leave it up like that, and run the Panny or DTV with those same scenes ........... the seats will jump off their isolators and walk across the room until they run out of cable ..... with you in them!!

It's got me stumped (not a real difficult task, to be sure) but due to the above paragraph ......... I'm really not wanting to do the 10db reduction thing!!

If anyone has some ideas I'd love to be buying you a cyber-beer!!
post #653 of 2056 Old 06-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The Roku is just passing through the Dolby encode. Your Onyko is decoding it.
There is no adjustment because the Roku isn't and can't process the signal. Neither can your DVR.

Have you had another Roku before this one?

I know my Yamaha RX-A2010 has a web setup GUI where I can setup input levels for each source and tone, etc. I have to increase the gain to max for my Apple TV, music is much lower than other sources.

You might check and see if yours has this.
post #654 of 2056 Old 06-27-2013, 01:08 PM

I just finished with a chat with Roku ........ here's how it went .......

I explained the situation (as above ........ pretty much just did a cut-n-paste of my post) .......

Roku Rep:
I see. I've actually verified this and I do apologize but this is because the Roku player only supports the surround sound settings, there's no feature for the low-frequency effects yet. This is something that needs to be configured on the receivers.

So I asked if there was any idea as to when it might be available in an update for the R3 (yeah ..... I know, but I asked anyway) ...... wink.gif

Roku rep:
I do apologize for this inconvenience. Well, as of now, we don't have information as to when this feature will be available but I'm pretty sure that it will be added in the future. We are still enhancing the player.

I can only assume that the limited LFE I 'am' getting through the R3 is some sort of over-amplified cross talk from the bass that is sent to my subs, because I 'do' get some limited weak LFE signal to the Buttkicker amps ..... or maybe I just got blown off and it 'is' there but with some sort of other level decoding (????) issue, or ........ confused.gif

So ........ it's with some significant disappointment that I send the R3 off to the bedroom frown.gif ...... at least for now, and I'll give the G-Box Midnight MX2 a try.
post #655 of 2056 Old 06-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry.? ;(

I don't think they'll ever have that feature. They don't want to pay to license Dolby. Would bring up the cost a lot I'd guess.
post #656 of 2056 Old 06-27-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 86
When you say LFE to the Buttkicker I assume you mean the Sub channel. And I assume you also have other speakers crossed over to the sub channel because sometimes there is very little in the LFE.
Flyer91 likes this.
post #657 of 2056 Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

The Roku is just passing through the Dolby encode. Your Onyko is decoding it.
There is no adjustment because the Roku isn't and can't process the signal. Neither can your DVR.

Have you had another Roku before this one?

I know my Yamaha RX-A2010 has a web setup GUI where I can setup input levels for each source and tone, etc. I have to increase the gain to max for my Apple TV, music is much lower than other sources.

You might check and see if yours has this.

This is my first Roku, and like I said .... I really do like it a lot.
It is much faster then using my Panny stream Netflix, but .......... the Panny delivers LFE.

I'm not sure I understand the comment regarding the DVR.
It's definitely passing the LFE signal.
Even with my old Harmon Kardon ARV645, I had LFE when watching both programmed and recorded movies through the DTV DVR.

The reason I got the R3 was because the Onkyo can provide custom lip sync for a given channel, but the Panny has a different delay for Netflix (only) than when playing a BD.
This is a know issue with the Pannys, and evidently some models were fixed with the latest update. My model wasn't so I got the R3, fell in love with it speed, GUI and app, then discovered it was cheating on my by holding back on the LFE. wink.gif

Yes the Onkyo TX-NR1010 has a full complement of individual channel gains, listening modes and etc. for each channel, but no LFE gain per channel. It provides a 10db/step attenuator for each.

All this machinery making modern music .......... hopefully I'll find a audio/video sync workaround (that I was using the R3 for) that will still give me LFE for streaming apps.
post #658 of 2056 Old 06-27-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

When you say LFE to the Buttkicker I assume you mean the Sub channel. And I assume you also have other speakers crossed over to the sub channel because sometimes there is very little in the LFE.

Yes, the two sub channels in the Onkyo are sending sub info to 4 Klipsch 12" powered subs .........
That's a good point and I need to see what's going on with them.

I was probably too fixated on the Buttkickers to notice the loss of my subs ... which can be masked by the bottom end abilities of the Klipsch RF-7s and RF-82's that I use for fronts and wides, as I internally set the Onkyo to send a bit of the sub signal to these speakers, but with their crossover set to HDX, so I would only notice a loss in the subs when information lower than 80 Hz would be in the signal.

My myopic thinking was that the LFE would only be something that affected people that actually use the LFE, but if I understand this correctly ....... the the entire .1, .2 channels are also down (or as indicated by Roku rep .... entierly missing) on the R3 ........... and if so, that is a big deal!!
post #659 of 2056 Old 06-27-2013, 02:28 PM

I'm editing this post to reflect that the small amount of signal I was seeing was from sending some of the bass info to the sub channel, internally in my Onkyo AVR.

Capt. Video is spot on .... there is no LFE/Sub channel info from the R3.
You only get the 5 channels of surround sound and no .X signal.

Maybe being new to the Roku, I have "re-discovered the wheel" here, but IMHO this is important to first time prospective buyers that expect LFE/Sub channel performance from it.

Still not a major for probably most users, but I need that signal, and need it to be at the same level for all my devices, so I'll look for somethng else.
post #660 of 2056 Old 06-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

I think you misunderstood me.

That's not true. The Roku can passthrough 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1.

Here an example.

This is proof of the .1 LFE channel as displayed on my Yamaha AVR.

Flyer91 likes this.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page