Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #811 of 2055 Old 08-02-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I rebooted it using the secret menu. Next time I will actually unplug it wait 30 seconds then plug it in again. I do that with my router sometimes.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2055 Old 08-02-2013, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL-F1 View Post

i find whenever my roku 3 is slow/low -def that unplugging it and restarting fixes it and it looks like my ps3

I find whenever I unplug and restart my roku 3 I have to use the reset in the back afterward to get it to boot up properly. It creates some interesting colors without the reset to say the least.
post #813 of 2055 Old 08-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
post #814 of 2055 Old 08-02-2013, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. My father in law is going to be on bed rest for the next 2 months due to surgery so I am wanting to set up an easy way to share my movie library with him. I have backed up my blue ray collection to mkv format all with HD audio. I was thinking of getting a roku 3 for him and connecting a 3-4 TB external drive of movies to it.

Is there anything preventing me from doing this with the roku? Does it play mkv from an external drive?
post #815 of 2055 Old 08-03-2013, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
^^ Nope, the Roku can't play any video files natively. But you can use Plex media server and the Roku Plex app together to play the mkv. It will require a PC with a couple of cores for transcoding, but it's a good option and provides him with a lot of flexibility.

post #816 of 2055 Old 08-03-2013, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbarnz View Post

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. My father in law is going to be on bed rest for the next 2 months due to surgery so I am wanting to set up an easy way to share my movie library with him. I have backed up my blue ray collection to mkv format all with HD audio. I was thinking of getting a roku 3 for him and connecting a 3-4 TB external drive of movies to it.

Is there anything preventing me from doing this with the roku? Does it play mkv from an external drive?

Get a media player like the Popcorn Hour.
post #817 of 2055 Old 08-03-2013, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

^^ Nope, the Roku can't play any video files natively. But you can use Plex media server and the Roku Plex app together to play the mkv. It will require a PC with a couple of cores for transcoding, but it's a good option and provides him with a lot of flexibility.

Roku ( 3 & 2XS) can play native MKV when directly connected via USB, but not over a network. It works with flash drives, but I am not sure if it can handle a 3TB/NTFS drive. Navigation sucks.

So something like the Popcorn Hour or a WD Live are better choices.
post #818 of 2055 Old 08-03-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I agree, the WD or one of the other units will do what you want easily. Roku is not set up for this. The WD is the most cost effective plus it streams a number of sources.
post #819 of 2055 Old 08-03-2013, 07:30 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll pick up a WD and give it a try. Thanks again!
post #820 of 2055 Old 08-03-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The roku can play the files easily via plex. It will play the DTS core audio so you won't get DTS MA HD but you still get surround.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #821 of 2055 Old 08-03-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 502
TV Live is the best for his purposes if he doesn't want to buy a more pricey purpose-specific file player. I've got a hodgepodge of video files in numerous formats and TV Live has handled all of them perfectly. There are some files that I mangled to render their DTS sound into 2 channel LPCM such that when the PS3 played them the AVR would see it as DTS (which the PS3 could not handle over DLNA); nothing other than the PS3 could play those files before I got the TV Live.

TV Live also has a bevy of Internet VOD players: Netflix, VUDU, Hulu Plus, etc--all of the biggies except Amazon.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #822 of 2055 Old 08-03-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I too have a variety of files and plex plays them all without issue. Granted you need to use plex over a network.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #823 of 2055 Old 08-04-2013, 07:22 AM

Liked: 58

Brand new Roku 3 Owner. A few observations and questions...

I just got my new Roku 3 to go along with our new Vizio M 70" TV

Overall, I'm extremely impressed with the Roku 3's content selection and speed. I've managed to program the Roku's remote into my Harmony Smart Control and life is really sweet with this setup on top of our DirecTV Genie box and PS3.

My overall question is related to bookmarking and accessing recently watched or partially watched content.

I don't see any way to access a "Recenty Watched" menu on the Roku 3. Is this not available or am I missing something?

For example, many of my favorite Roku channels, such as Revision3, have multiple programs. HDNation is one that has multiple archived episodes. If I stop in the middle of an episode, theres no shortcut or recently watched menu on the main Roku screens to allow me to quickly pick up where I left off.

Instead, from the Roku home screen I have to (1) Scroll to Revision3 channel, then (2) Scroll through the channel listing until I hit HDNation, then (3) Scroll through the HDNation episodes until I find the one I was watching last.

Also, is there any way to promote a program (HDNation for example) to the main Roku Channel screen (for quicker access)?

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
post #824 of 2055 Old 08-04-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestaviascott View Post

[My overall question is related to bookmarking and accessing recently watched or partially watched content.

I don't see any way to access a "Recenty Watched" menu on the Roku 3. Is this not available or am I missing something?

For example, many of my favorite Roku channels, such as Revision3, have multiple programs. HDNation is one that has multiple archived episodes. If I stop in the middle of an episode, theres no shortcut or recently watched menu on the main Roku screens to allow me to quickly pick up where I left off.

Correct--there is no such shortcut globally. Individual channels like Netflix and Hulu Plus have "Recently Watched" browser rows but the Roku itself doesn't keep track of what channel you've been in or what you've been watching.
Quote:
Also, is there any way to promote a program (HDNation for example) to the main Roku Channel screen (for quicker access)?

Nope. Sorry.

post #825 of 2055 Old 08-04-2013, 10:13 AM

Well, coming late to the Roku party, I have to say I'm genuinely disappointed (and surprised) that this 3rd gen interface, while extremely fast and I'm sure a huge improvement to what long time Roku fans are used to, cannot provide more convenient access to my recent activity and favorite sub channels.

Anyone who watches the HD Nation program has to feel my pain. You have to click 37 times to go from the Roku channel screen to the "HD Nation" subchannel under "Revision 3" channel. Then, depending on what episode you want to call up, you could have another 30-50 clicks just to get to that.

I would think this to be at or near the top of users "most wanted" list of features.

I like the speed with menu browsing, however, a bookmarks feature or ability to save sub-channels and individual streams to the home channel screen (or a "favorites" listing) would be a good start towards improving the usability of the Roku 3 interface.

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
post #826 of 2055 Old 08-04-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There's not a lot of integration of the individual channels in the Roku system interface. The only thing which integrates them at all is the search feature, which searches the catalogs of Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, VUDU, HBO Go and Crackle. Search will tell you which of those services (if any) has what you're looking for and you can choose one of the matches and go directly to it in the channel.

All of the channels are developed and maintained by entities other than Roku (though I think that they may have more involvement with Netflix than the others; their first product was the earliest embedded Netflix player and only played Netflix).

It's conceivable that they could put features in their common UI API to allow the channels to offer what you want. You should go to their forums and make a suggestion.

post #827 of 2055 Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

There's not a lot of integration of the individual channels in the Roku system interface. The only thing which integrates them at all is the search feature, which searches the catalogs of Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, VUDU, HBO Go and Crackle. Search will tell you which of those services (if any) has what you're looking for and you can choose one of the matches and go directly to it in the channel.

All of the channels are developed and maintained by entities other than Roku (though I think that they may have more involvement with Netflix than the others; their first product was the earliest embedded Netflix player and only played Netflix).

It's conceivable that they could put features in their common UI API to allow the channels to offer what you want. You should go to their forums and make a suggestion.
Just a note on the search integration, it also includes Redbox Instant on my Roku 3 and 2XS units. I think I may have accidentally stumbled into a beta offering of Redbox when I clicked on a link I found in catastrophegirl's blog. After the 5.1 update, the Redbox channel appeared on my Rokus and is still functioning for me and a few others I have spoken with. The link is no longer valid but the channel is still working for me.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #828 of 2055 Old 08-04-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

Just a note on the search integration, it also includes Redbox Instant on my Roku 3 and 2XS units. I think I may have accidentally stumbled into a beta offering of Redbox when I clicked on a link I found in catastrophegirl's blog. After the 5.1 update, the Redbox channel appeared on my Rokus and is still functioning for me and a few others I have spoken with. The link is no longer valid but the channel is still working for me.

Has Redbox instant improved any? When I tried it out it was a steaming pile of crap.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #829 of 2055 Old 08-04-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Roku 3 was once again had trouble with HD content tonight. It was fine earlier. Off to the PS3 Slim which had no problems with HD.

Everytime they update the channel and the software I think it is finally fixed but it always creeps up again. Too thing most of June and July were great. If things don't improve by the fall I mean a real channel update I will finally get rid of my Roku 3. Right now I am keeping it for Amazon Instant which is more reliable on the Roku.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #830 of 2055 Old 08-04-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Right now I am keeping it for Amazon Instant which is more reliable on the Roku.

Hmmm. I've always considered the Amazon PS3 app to be one of the finest pieces of UI design that I've ever seen. Haven't used it much for the same reason that I rarely stream Netflix on my noisy, power hungry 60GB launch model PS3.

post #831 of 2055 Old 08-04-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm. I've always considered the Amazon PS3 app to be one of the finest pieces of UI design that I've ever seen. Haven't used it much for the same reason that I rarely stream Netflix on my noisy, power hungry 60GB launch model PS3.

For me the Amazon PS3 app is not reliable but the Amazon Roku app is reliable.

Then the Netflix PS3 app is reliable but the Netflix Roku app is not reliable.

See so I am stuck with the PS3 for Netflix and the Roku for Amazon. What a mess.

Cats are the best pets.
post #832 of 2055 Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Netflix has been great for me on the roku lately. I never see the light flashing and the quality seems better.

post #833 of 2055 Old 08-05-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
... Individual channels like Netflix and Hulu Plus have "Recently Watched" browser rows but the Roku itself doesn't keep track of what channel you've been in or what you've been watching.
Nope. Sorry.

Although you say its not possible, in my experience with software programming, that's not a phrase I use often. I expect that if they want to, the Roku engineers could add a "Bookmarks/Favorites" menu (or a way to pin an episode or subchannel to the main channels listing) in an upcoming firmware update.

Here's an example of what I believe you are referring to. This is the Time Warner Cable app that has a "Recently watched" listing below their sub-channel listing:

I suppose we will just have to wait for the individual channel developers to adopt this new look and feel across the board (not holding my breath on that one)

post #834 of 2055 Old 08-05-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:

But the audio from Amazon on the PS3 is borked. First it's only sent as PCM and then 2.0 and 5.1 audio is sent in a 7.1 wrapper so no post processing can be applied. Because of that I consider the Amazon PS3 app to be one of the worst. I consider the Amazon Roku 3/2 app to be one of the best. It's nice and quick and the audio isn't borked.

I have no idea why Sony has not fixed the audio issue. It is fixed on Vudu which now sends the PCM audio in the proper wrapper. And Netflx on the PS3 Slim will bitstream the audio. But thy still have not addressed the Amazon audio. Another reason why I consider the PS3 one of the poorer choices for streaming apps and the Roku 2/3 one of the best.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #835 of 2055 Old 08-05-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Although you say its not possible, in my experience with software programming, that's not a phrase I use often.

I'm a software engineer and I rarely if ever say that something isn't possible with software. All I said is that you can't do it with the existing software. The search feature proves that you can immediately leap into an existing entry of some channels from a system level UI; you can select a search result and be taken into the channel's menu for that title.
Quote:
Here's an example of what I believe you are referring to. This is the Time Warner Cable app that has a "Recently watched" listing below their sub-channel listing:

As I mentioned, both Netflix and Amazon keep recently watched lists; Hulu Plus has a "shows you watch" browser row and I think that HBO Go has one as well, though I recently dumped HBO so I can't check. I'd be surprised if other channels that I don't use don't have recently watched lists as well.

post #836 of 2055 Old 08-05-2013, 12:42 PM

@michaeltcott, thanks for clearing that up. I obviously misunderstood your point and your edit makes it clearer.

Although I'm not new to interface design, I certainly am new to Roku. I've used Apple TV up until the Roku 3 came out. I recently sold my Apple TV and really missed the ability to stream Spotify over my surrounds.

So, reading all the accolades and rave reviews about the Gen 3 interface, I decided to purchase a Roku 3.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it, especially since I was able to add it to my Harmony smart control to maintain one remote.

However, my background as a user interface designer (and my general impatience with clicking/scrolling through tons of menus) has me yearning for some obvious enhancements that would make the experience so much better.

For example, with over 750 channels of content, it would seem to be a top UI priority to provide a means to make shortcuts to frequently accessed subchannels, recently watched episodes and favorites/bookmarks at a higher level than individual channels (I do realize that App developers can offer this once I'm inside their apps)

I'm really kinda shocked that something so trivial as a bookmark (and something so vital to the operation of the internet) is not there already in a 3rd gen device that designed to consume the best of the internet. 

On a positive note, the Spotify app on Roku 3 absolutely rocks. As does the Amazon instant and Netflix apps. I also like the fact that on the iHeart Radio app, I can move away from a station and click around the interface without dropping the audio stream. I just wish there was a way to take all my favorites (radio stations, revision 3 shows, etc) and promote them to the main channels screen for one-click access.

post #837 of 2055 Old 08-05-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I recently sold my Apple TV and really missed the ability to stream Spotify.

Why? There's a Spotify Roku channel. I don't personally care for Spotify as I think that most of the embedded apps for it are feature-anemic, but they're everywhere.
Quote:
I'm really kinda shocked that something so trivial as a bookmark (and something so vital to the operation of the internet) is not there already in a 3rd gen device that designed to consume the best of the internet.

You do have a point, but can you name a device with a bookmark/shortcut to a title within an app feature at the system UI level like that? Can you, for instance, place an icon for your favorite Netflix TV series on the top of the ATV interface? I and many other people would agree that Roku should have folders or something for organizing installed channels. It's surprising that they didn't add that in the 5.0 UI.

Do go to Roku's forums and post your ideas in their feature suggestions thread.

post #838 of 2055 Old 08-05-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Also all of this would require additional memory and processing power and a likely increase in the price point of the device.
post #839 of 2055 Old 08-05-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Little features like folders and favorites? I doubt it. The Roku's not that close to its limits.

post #840 of 2055 Old 08-05-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Also all of this would require additional memory and processing power and a likely increase in the price point of the device.

Say what? Where do you get your programming knowledge?

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page