AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

No 24p out.

Do any of the channels actually stream 24p?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2076 Old 03-08-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

Do any of the channels actually stream 24p?

Most network VOD media is encoded as 24p; they get most sources from the providers in that format so its the easiest thing to do and every video playing device is capable of changing frame rate to suit monitor capabilities. Some if not most devices unfortunately always convert everything into 60 fps out.

Netflix is mostly 24p, with some 25p for British stuff and some 30p for some (but not all) pre-HD-TV. If you want to determine the frame rate of a Netflix title, play it in the web player, click the picture when it appears to give the player keyboard focus and type CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-D (with the player not blow up fullscreen). This will bring a diagnostic overlay up; read the frame rate on the "Frames rendered/dropped" line.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #63 of 2076 Old 03-08-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

If it's a Harmony remote you may need to adjust device response settings.

Yeah, I thought of that. It had a button delay of a tenth second; I reduced it to zero but it didn't change anything. Either there's a minimum delay or a minimum length of IR code emission.

post #64 of 2076 Old 03-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by synistr View Post

yeah, not sure about that because I know havent registered on any more than 2 devices and it didnt give me a credit either

The Roku was my 2nd device and I didn't get any credits.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #65 of 2076 Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 PM

Liked: 36
Can anyone comment on the PQ between the Roku 2 XS and the new Roku 3?

I just received a 2 XS and while the setup experience was nice, and everything works fine, I am frowning over the PQ w/ Amazon and Netflix. I mean it's not bad, but my Apple TV 3 looks quite a bit better w/ Netflix. I bought it to watch Amazon Prime videos, after retiring my Sony BD player, but the video quality is distracting.

Just curious if the Roku 3 improves PQ, in addition to the newer and more responsive UI.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #66 of 2076 Old 03-08-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Got mine and have finished playing around with it for the moment. By and large I like it; the interface is much nicer and faster. It could have been nicer still if so much real estate hadn't been used for ads, but you gotta pay the bills somehow.
I haven't played with a Roku in quite some time so the comment about "ads" is throwing me. What sort of ads do you mean? Do you have a screen shot possibly? I'm trying to picture it, is it ads like on YouTube streams, or banners on the screen...??

Thanks
post #67 of 2076 Old 03-08-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

I just received a 2 XS and while the setup experience was nice, and everything works fine, I am frowning over the PQ w/ Amazon and Netflix. I mean it's not bad, but my Apple TV 3 looks quite a bit better w/ Netflix. I bought it to watch Amazon Prime videos, after retiring my Sony BD player, but the video quality is distracting.

Just curious if the Roku 3 improves PQ, in addition to the newer and more responsive UI.

I have both and see little difference.

I assume Hdmi connection for both. Did you select 1080 for the video output?

Are they connected directly to the TV? Each port on most TVs have separate settings. Maybe one is on Movie while the other is set to Standard.
post #68 of 2076 Old 03-08-2013, 06:09 PM

Can you pair more than 1 of the new remotes with this thing? So each person could have their own headphone use?

editited to answer my own question. The answer is YES..
post #69 of 2076 Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:

I did fair bit of testing with Vudu hdx between a Sony s790 and the roku 3 and couldn't tell any difference. However with crackle it was night and day. Crackle on the roku looked soft and suffered audio sync issues. The 790 blew the roku 3 out the water for picture and audio quality. I was surprised.

I also tested amazon and I thought amazon looked better on the 790 than the roku although the roku was able to start the stream instantly.
post #70 of 2076 Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I can see the color space setting in the WD TV Play's manual, but the 24p option isn't in either its manual or the TV Live's. Apparently it gives you an option to "match video frame rate" when you set resolution; that's when it asks about color space.

I've been setting up my WD TV Play and yes, it does feature 24p output, as well as a color space setting and the ability to set a DNS server address (just one, no secondary or tertiary) and a YouTube player with their horrible "LeanBack" UI. Unfortunately it might not have the Netflix stream info overlay (like this) that the WD TV Live supposedly has; it's activated with the Option button on the Live, but pressing that at any time while in the Netflix player boots you out.

One hyper-cool feature that it has is that if you start music playing in Pandora and exit the music keeps playing until you do something which makes sound. So you can start some tunes and go view some photos in Picasa (or set up a slideshow with which to bore company biggrin.gif). I suspect that you can do that with any music service but I haven't checked it out. (It'd be even cooler if it paused and resumed music around whatever audible app you were using).

It's video file player is pretty nice. I thought that it didn't do DLNA but it does. It plays out of MOV, WMV, AVI, MPG and MKV containers that I've tried so far; of those, Roku can only deal with MKVs and it has no official DLNA function (there are available channels). I've also played some files from a flash drive with no problems.

All in all I'm fairly pleased with it, particularly given its $70 price point. If it had the Netflix info overlay that I'd really like and an Amazon player it could be my primary player. Given the lack of the info overlay I may return it and buy a WD TV Live refurb for a similar price.

post #71 of 2076 Old 03-08-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been setting up my WD TV Play and yes, it does feature 24p output, as well as a color space setting and the ability to set a DNS server address (just one, no secondary or tertiary) and a YouTube player with their horrible "LeanBack" UI. Unfortunately it might not have the Netflix stream info overlay (like [url=]this[/url]) that the WD TV Live supposedly has; it's activated with the Option button on the Live, but pressing that at any time while in the Netflix player boots you out.

One hyper-cool feature that it has is that if you start music playing in Pandora and exit the music keeps playing until you do something which makes sound. So you can start some tunes and go view some photos in Picasa (or set up a slideshow with which to bore company biggrin.gif). I suspect that you can do that with any music service but I haven't checked it out. (It'd be even cooler if it paused and resumed music around whatever audible app you were using).

It's video file player is pretty nice. I thought that it didn't do DLNA but it does. It plays out of MOV, WMV, AVI, MPG and MKV containers that I've tried so far; of those, Roku can only deal with MKVs and it has no official DLNA function (there are available channels). I've also played some files from a flash drive with no problems.

All in all I'm fairly pleased with it, particularly given its $70 price point. If it had the Netflix info overlay that I'd really like and an Amazon player it could be my primary player. Given the lack of the info overlay I may return it and buy a WD TV Live refurb for a similar price.

When I tested the older wdlive tv it was able to do the pandora trick too btw. The wd play is crippled with codec support (no mpeg 2 for example) for local network streaming ... Even more so than the older wdlive ... Which doesn't support hd audio.
post #72 of 2076 Old 03-08-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a note about remotes. You can use the older IR roku remote with the new roku 3 if you want. Harmony users will be thankful.
post #73 of 2076 Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I did fair bit of testing with Vudu hdx between a Sony s790 and the roku 3 and couldn't tell any difference.

I got into an argument with a guy about the VUDU HDX version of Prometheus. I was seeing a lot of banding when playing it from a downloaded file on the PS3 and he swore that there was no such banding when he watched it. It turned out to be the PS3. I tried streaming it to every VUDU playing device that I had and my BDT220 beat out the crowd. It displayed fewer detectable artifacts than any other device and little to no visible judder playing to my aging 60 Hz panel.

That was using my Roku 2 XS; it's possible that the Roku 3 has improved video rendering.

post #74 of 2076 Old 03-08-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

I have both and see little difference.

I assume Hdmi connection for both. Did you select 1080 for the video output?

Are they connected directly to the TV? Each port on most TVs have separate settings. Maybe one is on Movie while the other is set to Standard.

Thanks for the comment... Yes to the HDMI and 1080 question; I am running both the Apple TV and the Roku through the AVR to the TV. I played around with the settings a bit; like I said earlier, it's not bad, it's just a little 'dull' and 'soft', PQ-wise, on the Roku side.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #75 of 2076 Old 03-08-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:

I did fair bit of testing with Vudu hdx between a Sony s790 and the roku 3 and couldn't tell any difference. However with crackle it was night and day. Crackle on the roku looked soft and suffered audio sync issues. The 790 blew the roku 3 out the water for picture and audio quality. I was surprised.

I also tested amazon and I thought amazon looked better on the 790 than the roku although the roku was able to start the stream instantly.

Yes... to all of the above; I have a Sony BDP-S590 in addition to the Apple TV 3 and concur with your comments (except for Crackle - I haven't tried that); they mirror what I see with Netflix and Amazon).

And, you are seeing this on the new one (Roku 3), so I am guessing they are probably running the same video processing software on both models (2 XS and 3). I tried watching Avatar on Amazon on the Roku; it did start right away and played without any hesitation, but I was surprised how soft the image looked, even after 30 minutes.

Oh well, I am going to keep it anyway - it's a fun device.

post #76 of 2076 Old 03-09-2013, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

I've been setting up my WD TV Play and yes, it does feature 24p output, as well as a color space setting and the ability to set a DNS server address (just one, no secondary or tertiary) and a YouTube player with their horrible "LeanBack" UI. Unfortunately it might not have the Netflix stream info overlay (like [url=]this[/url]) that the WD TV Live supposedly has; it's activated with the Option button on the Live, but pressing that at any time while in the Netflix player boots you out.

That is encouraging - maybe I get a WD TV Play for Netflix YCbCr 24P output.

But I still have to use my Roku 2 XS for Amazon - and the BD 390 for Vudu HDX 24P - whatever happened to one ideal streamer....oh well.

At least with a Harmony remote I can probably set up so the family can use it.... Maybe...
post #77 of 2076 Old 03-09-2013, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been setting up my WD TV Play and yes, it does feature 24p output, as well as a color space setting and the ability to set a DNS server address (just one, no secondary or tertiary)

One more question - did you try setting the DNS Server to unblock-us (US region) and did it reliably connect to the Netflix SuperHD servers - that would clinch the deal...
post #78 of 2076 Old 03-09-2013, 02:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

One more question - did you try setting the DNS Server to unblock-us (US region) and did it reliably connect to the Netflix SuperHD servers - that would clinch the deal...

Yes I did, using the single 208.122.23.22 address since it can only take one. My router was set to OpenDNS addresses. I went 5 for 5 killing and restarting Netflix and getting Open Connect servers every time, using the Canada and Brazil regions (the two I use most). It might be a third "always connects" device, like the Win8 Netflix app and TiVo Premiere. I need to check it some more.

It's really interesting how Unblock-US' servers recognize that lone device as being on my account. I suppose that it's using my modem's external address. I upgraded to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem recently (solved my erratic bandwidth problem completely) and when I went to Unblock's site it told me that I apparently had a new network address, would I like it to register it (or something like that). I said "yes" and it's worked fine since.

post #79 of 2076 Old 03-09-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

You need to say something about your connection. Is it wireless?
post #80 of 2076 Old 03-09-2013, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Got my Roku yesterday from Roku.com. First thing I noticed from Netflix that the UI is faster but uglier than the PS3 plus there is no Just4Kids UI. Programs load quickly and look better than on the PS3. Also I noticed since I use a Zvox soundbar that the sound quality is loader and has more bass. On the PS3 I had to put it loader and in Windows 8 I can sometimes barely hear it.

One thing I notice for is how do I get it to show the quality and time left when watching? Thanks as this is my first Roku.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #81 of 2076 Old 03-09-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Have they even mentioned anything about 3D on the Roku 3? Is it possible? That is the only thing else I would like to see from the Roku 3, is access to the Netflix 3D and Vudu 3D. I set mine up last night. Although I will continue using my Harmony remote and put the wireless remote away like I did with the Roku 2. The Roku 3 remote is only alot faster if I try to click through a bunch of things extremely quickly. Which I don't do. So the Harmony One works fine clicking through at a quick pace. My Harmony one does work faster than the Roku IR remote with the Roku3.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #82 of 2076 Old 03-09-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just as an added update, several posters on the Roku forum are saying that their problems with the whole YCbCr/RGB situation have improved/disappeared now that they have installed the 3. No more purple screens etc., though no one seems to have offered concrete examples of what specifically was changed other than hooking up the new unit. Just passing on what I read. Have never had this problem with any of my four units and now waiting expectantly for my new 3.

post #83 of 2076 Old 03-09-2013, 09:24 AM

My only gripe so far about it is that it removed analog audio and composite output. I liked taking the xs on long trips and having the capability to plug it into an older tv was a nice perk I guess I will have to keep one XS model for the "traveling version"...
post #84 of 2076 Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes I did, using the single 208.122.23.22 address since it can only take one. My router was set to OpenDNS addresses. I went 5 for 5 killing and restarting Netflix and getting Open Connect servers every time, using the Canada and Brazil regions (the two I use most). It might be a third "always connects" device, like the Win8 Netflix app and TiVo Premiere. I need to check it some more.

It's really interesting how Unblock-US' servers recognize that lone device as being on my account. I suppose that it's using my modem's external address. I upgraded to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem recently (solved my erratic bandwidth problem completely) and when I went to Unblock's site it told me that I apparently had a new network address, would I like it to register it (or something like that). I said "yes" and it's worked fine since.

That is great news and might be the best reason to move from a Roku 2XS to Roku 3.

Yes I noticed the same thing when I upgraded my router. I must have got a new external address when I rebooted my router/modem - unblock-us reported I had a new address when I visited their web page.
post #85 of 2076 Old 03-09-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

...how do I get it to show the quality and time left when watching?

No such luck--the Roku Netflix player doesn't have that feature. I've run across relatively few which do (the PS3, my Sony BDP, WD TV Live). There are probably a few more, I just don't know which they are. I personally really value the picture quality indicator in that display.

post #86 of 2076 Old 03-09-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That is great news and might be the best reason to move from a Roku 2XS to Roku 3.

First, I was talking about the WD TV Play and second we can scratch that as a reason. It appears that the Unblock-US people have fixed that problem smile.gif. I posted about it in the Super HD thread.

post #87 of 2076 Old 03-09-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First, I was talking about the WD TV Play and second we can scratch that as a reason. It appears that the Unblock-US people have fixed that problem smile.gif. I posted about it in the Super HD thread.

Ah yes....WD TV Play

That will teach me to post in multiple forums - I need to learn to context switch.

However it is good news if unblock-us have fixed the issue.
post #88 of 2076 Old 03-09-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been setting up my WD TV Play and yes, it does feature 24p output, as well as a color space setting and the ability to set a DNS server address (just one, no secondary or tertiary) and a YouTube player with their horrible "LeanBack" UI. Unfortunately it might not have the Netflix stream info overlay (like this) that the WD TV Live supposedly has; it's activated with the Option button on the Live, but pressing that at any time while in the Netflix player boots you out.

Sorry one more question on the WD TV Play.

According to this post http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364999/official-wd-tv-live-streaming-media-player-thread/2280#post_22764793 the WD TV Live always uses 1080p60 for Netflix.

What about the WD TV Play - will output 1080P24 for Netflix. If so does it detect P24 content and switch automatically or is it a global setting?

Thanks
post #89 of 2076 Old 03-09-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I love my Roku 3. I notice that Netflix streams look better and the sound is better than the PS3. Only the UI on the PS3 looks much better however the Roku UI does not have that annoying auto play. I hated that more than anything. I rarely watched the same show back to back and I rather just load the next episode myself.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #90 of 2076 Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry one more question on the WD TV Play.

According to this post http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364999/official-wd-tv-live-streaming-media-player-thread/2280#post_22764793 the WD TV Live always uses 1080p60 for Netflix.

What about the WD TV Play - will output 1080P24 for Netflix. If so does it detect P24 content and switch automatically or is it a global setting?

There's a setting for HDMI resolution; if you choose "Auto", it will ask first what color space you want then whether you want "Match Video Frame Rate" on or off. Supposedly turning it on will cause it to output the frame rate of the source video. You can force 1080p24 for everything--it's one of the choices besides "Auto". If you choose it you're asked first for color space and then about deep color.

It's not possible for me to tell that it's outputting 24p or not; since my panel can't accept 24p video input if it's forced my AVR will convert it to p60 and there's no way to display what video format the AVR is receiving. Sorry.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page