post #901 of 2104 Old 09-08-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

WD TV Live is a far better file player than Roku 3 and can be had for a similar price. It's played everything that I've thrown at it with ease. I've never had any super-high bit rate rips to play on it so I don't know how well it can deal with those; the specs sound as though it should handle the video but I'm not certain what it will do with TrueHD or DTS-HD MA.

I have the WD TV Live Streaming model, and I've owned the two previous models of this player as well. Using the Ethernet port, I've had zero problems playing back Blu-ray rips residing on my Synology NAS. The same goes for files stored on USB drives attached to the boxes. Running HDMI from the WD TVs through my AVR, I get Dolby TrueHD decoding; DTS-HD MA is decoded as straight DTS. Even on the rare occasions where I've tried to play a file only to have the box report that it was "unsupported", a quick reset of the box resolved the issue and the file played perfectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2104 Old 09-08-2013, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My issue is the fact that I don't have a receiver so I'm unable to pass the HD audio to it. I wanted to make the lossless copies to maintain the high quality of Bluray but it looks like I won't be able to do that unless I dish out the cash for a Dune streamer which I can't afford at the moment. My only alternative is to save off the HD audio for future use when I can afford a Dune and temporarily reencode the audio to a supported format and rejoin it to the lossless HD video file for playback on something like the WD Live Play or another similar device.
post #903 of 2104 Old 09-08-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokus View Post

...something like the WD Live Play...

There are TV Live and TV Play; TV Play is a new, lower spec model. I tried the Play and kind of liked its revamped UI, but it lacked the stream info display in Netflix, which I like, and had some file play source limitations that I don't remember, so I decided to go with TV Live.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #904 of 2104 Old 09-09-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

WD TV Live is a far better file player than Roku 3 and can be had for a similar price. It's played everything that I've thrown at it with ease. I've never had any super-high bit rate rips to play on it so I don't know how well it can deal with those; the specs sound as though it should handle the video but I'm not certain what it will do with TrueHD or DTS-HD MA.

If you want to stream local content, then yes, the WDLIve is MUCH better. Although it still aggravates me it doesn't do DTS-MA(it only stream the core DTS track).

It's a tradeoff though. Roku has many more internet streaming channels than WDLive. The 2 that the WDLive doesn't have that Roku does, which are glaring to me is Amazon on Demand and NHL Gamecenter.
post #905 of 2104 Old 09-09-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

If you want to stream local content, then yes, the WDLIve is MUCH better. Although it still aggravates me it doesn't do DTS-MA(it only stream the core DTS track).

It's a tradeoff though. Roku has many more internet streaming channels than WDLive. The 2 that the WDLive doesn't have that Roku does, which are glaring to me is Amazon on Demand and NHL Gamecenter.

Yes, but the one WD Play has that the Roku doesn't and the reason I bought the Play is for the Slingplayer app so that I can watch my TiVo from anywhere I have a broadband connection.

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #906 of 2104 Old 09-10-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
I just installed Plex, and I'm looking in to either buying a Roku or Apple TV to stream outside network to my parents house. I'm currenlty using an UnRaid server, and I installed Plex. It's works excellent within and outside the network, with the exception of my server's Dual Core AMD CPU being too slow if I tried to do multiple streams.

However, I was wondering if anyone has a similar set up, and has been able to access their server with a Roku box outside the network? My parents currently use a WDTV for their media playing purposes, and I am getting tired of using an external hard drive for them lol. So, if this is possible to accomplish it would be awesome.

P.S. I am in the process of building another server with a lot more CPU power.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #907 of 2104 Old 09-12-2013, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I don't think you can get Roku to look outside network (aside from developing a new channel, a challenging undertaking for most). It may be possible to set up some kind of VPN.

Another option would be to set up a NAS for your parents and keep it updated from your location manually via FTP, or automatically using BTSync or similar.
post #908 of 2104 Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

I don't think you can get Roku to look outside network (aside from developing a new channel, a challenging undertaking for most). It may be possible to set up some kind of VPN.

Another option would be to set up a NAS for your parents and keep it updated from your location manually via FTP, or automatically using BTSync or similar.

I thought the Plex app would be taking care of that as long as I sign on to my parents Roku with my account? Just like doing it from the IPads.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #909 of 2104 Old 09-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The iPad app is different than the Roku channel. iPad app has local network and internet connection functionality. Roku has a more restricted capability, unless someone verifies plex channel works over internet, you should probably assume it doesn't.
post #910 of 2104 Old 09-12-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The iPad app is different than the Roku channel. iPad app has local network and internet connection functionality. Roku has a more restricted capability, unless someone verifies plex channel works over internet, you should probably assume it doesn't.

That would not be good. Can someone confirm this before I start buying Rokus or Apple TVs.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #911 of 2104 Old 09-12-2013, 08:29 PM

Liked: 11
I don't know if the roku can stream from an outside network. I gave my mother in law an apple tv and she uses her ipad to access my server and uses airplay to watch it on her tv. works and looks great.
post #912 of 2104 Old 09-12-2013, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Quote:

That would not be good. Can someone confirm this before I start buying Rokus or Apple TVs.

Of course the Roku can access a Plex server via the internet. Folks do it all of the time. I believe it is the same procedure for most all set top boxes. It isn't automatic, If I recall correctly you both need to sign your rokus into your respective myplex accounts then share your server with your parents.

Stop asking for info here where you are getting poor speculation and try asking over on the Plex forum. They can point you to concrete instructions on how to accomplish what you want.

Bottom line is folks do this all of the time but you do need to have the bandwidth and set things up (not hard) at each end.
post #913 of 2104 Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds good. I'm not sure if I am going to go with Roku 3 or Apple TV. I've got 3 iPads and two iPhones. My AVR is airplay enabled too. I like Roku because it had more channels. I might end up getting both and testing them out.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #914 of 2104 Old 09-12-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

Sounds good. I'm not sure if I am going to go with Roku 3 or Apple TV. I've got 3 iPads and two iPhones. My AVR is airplay enabled too. I like Roku because it had more channels. I might end up getting both and testing them out.
The price of entry is pretty low, so why not? I have an ATV and a couple of Roku's. May get another ATV soon too.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.

post #915 of 2104 Old 09-12-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

The price of entry is pretty low, so why not? I have an ATV and a couple of Roku's. May get another ATV soon too.

Which one do you like better for Plex and Netflix?

Home Theater Set Up:

post #916 of 2104 Old 09-13-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I sold my Roku 3 on eBay and I got most of my money back. I will using that money back to get a ATV which should be better than the disaster the Roku 3 was with Netflix. I am just waiting until they announce a new ATV as I don't want to get one now and then be stuck with one that ends up being obsolete.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #917 of 2104 Old 09-13-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Okey doke, time for you to find that new thread.
CaptainVideoJW likes this.

Gary J

post #918 of 2104 Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm was set to buy a Roku, but now I'm second guessing and thinking may be I should go with ATV3?

Home Theater Set Up:

post #919 of 2104 Old 09-13-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Without knowing what you want to do with a streaming device only you can answer that.

Gary J

post #920 of 2104 Old 09-13-2013, 11:40 AM

Liked: 36
Quote:

I'm was set to buy a Roku, but now I'm second guessing and thinking may be I should go with ATV3?

Why don't you just get one of each? For $79 and $99, they are practically free and you can have the best of all worlds.

The time some have spent debating this topic... geez...

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #921 of 2104 Old 09-13-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Why don't you just get one of each? For $79 and $99, they are practically free and you can have the best of all worlds.

Yes, I have both because I have iTunes movies as well as Vudu and Amazon Instant Video movies so I need both. It would be nice if they made a player that could play all of them but don't think that will happen any time soon?

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #922 of 2104 Old 09-13-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I just need one for the master bedroom use for Plex and Netflix mainly. I'm going to go with Roku.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #923 of 2104 Old 09-13-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Good luck with whatever you choose but the Roku 3 left a sour taste in my mouth. Hopefully the Apple TV will be a better streaming experience for me.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #924 of 2104 Old 09-13-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

I sold my Roku 3 on eBay and I got most of my money back. I will using that money back to get a ATV which should be better than the disaster the Roku 3 was with Netflix. I am just waiting until they announce a new ATV as I don't want to get one now and then be stuck with one that ends up being obsolete.

What was the problem with Netflix?. My only complaint with Netflix on the Roku3 is that it can't handle the 3D streams. Otherwise Netflix has been superb on my Roku 3, like it is on my Roku2 boxes as well.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #925 of 2104 Old 09-13-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

What was the problem with Netflix?.

oh common. you know. every one of his posts on here and in the roku forum is the exact same thing over and over.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
post #926 of 2104 Old 09-13-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Okey doke, time for you to find that new thread.
He has. Now he's trashing the Roku 3 over in the AppleTV thread in the Macrumors forum. Don't know what the problem is with his unit but I have four Roku units (3, 2XS, XR and a first generation) and they all work perfectly. Not one problem, ever.

post #927 of 2104 Old 09-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Please don't feed the trolls!!!

They will eventually go away.

Equipment: |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #928 of 2104 Old 09-14-2013, 12:40 PM

Liked: 12
I got my Roku 3 about a week ago and so far I'm loving it. I do have a few questions though, which are more due to my lack of knowledge about streaming than any particular issue with the player itself.

The Roku is hard-wired through an ethernet switch, but the cable runs are very short. I have Comcast and routinely get download speeds of just over 30 Mbps on my PC on speedtest.net. I notice that the speeds recorded on the speedtest channel for the Roku are always roughly half that of the readings on my PC checked just before or after. After doing some searching here and on Google and the Roku forum, I still don't understand why that is. I thought it might have been due to running through the switch, but if I connect directly to the router there is no difference. No other streaming devices are running on my network when I test.

When I run the Short 23.976 on Netflix during the week, regardless of time of day, I get a quick ramp to 3250 kbps and the reading remains there. However, on weekends, the reading ramps only to 750 kbps and bounces around between there and 1050 and 1750. Is the difference between weekday and weekend rates likely due to Netflix traffic? My speedtest.net weekday/weekend readings don't seem to vary appreciably on either my PC or the Roku channel.

I did change the DNS settings in my router from Comcast's default to Open DNS. I thought that had improved the bitrates I was getting to the Roku, but now I realize that improvement may simply have been due to the weekend/weekday discrepancy. I considered re-configuring QOS in my router from default, but that looks like more than I want to tackle unless I'm pretty sure this will be worthwhile.

In short, I guess I'm wondering if this is "just the way it is" or if there is something I can do to improve my setup.
post #929 of 2104 Old 09-14-2013, 01:25 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

Please don't feed the trolls!!!

They will eventually go away.

got to love it. nit pick what you perceive as every minor flaw endlessly until someone believes you.
if i paid $2000 for roku as i did the rest of my av system, i'd complain.
but really people? they are relatively free. want some cheese to go with your whine?
CaptainVideoJW and scirica like this.

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #930 of 2104 Old 09-15-2013, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ames View Post

I notice that the speeds recorded on the speedtest channel for the Roku are always roughly half that of the readings on my PC checked just before or after.

When I run the Short 23.976 on Netflix during the week, regardless of time of day, I get a quick ramp to 3250 kbps and the reading remains there. However, on weekends, the reading ramps only to 750 kbps and bounces around between there and 1050 and 1750. Is the difference between weekday and weekend rates likely due to Netflix traffic? My speedtest.net weekday/weekend readings don't seem to vary appreciably on either my PC or the Roku channel..
First to me, the sample clip with bitrate doesn't seem to be a very accurate test to me.
I can play it at different times and it fluctuates too much as appossed to playing a regular title and HD ramps up very quickly. If Roku would only give us a bitrate display option on-screen! Pipe dream...

Second, did you try different servers at the top of your list on the speed test channel?
On mine, the first server is slower, the second is Comcast, my provider, and matches up with my computers tests. Avg 85 mbps down / 11 up.

Lastly, I'd leave QOS off. I think it creates more problems unless someone has a very slow connection.
You can google why QOS is bad for high speed broadband...

Equipment: |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page