post #991 of 2105 Old 10-28-2013, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnperry View Post

I spent this afternoon comparing the Roku 3 to the Chromecast. My conclusions surprised me.
My main concern is quality of image on my 96" screen. I thought the Roku would have the clear advantage if using the wired option. It wasn't even close. There was no discernable difference and it really looked only slightly better than SD on a HD program.
I have no dog in this fight and would prefer the Roku interface and wired option but the Chromecast clearly was better and looked HD. I used the same show of course for comparison.
So before I return this, has anyone initially had poor image quality they were able to correct?

Only thing to check is if the Roku is locked to a specific output resolution. If it's locked to 720p(or even 480p) you obviously aren't going to see the quality compared to something streaming 1080p.

I can't say I have seen real issues with Roku vs say Apple TV or my Smart TV but then again, I am viewing on a 40" TV so I'm not going to see the detail that you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2105 Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Makes sense then why I couldn't see a difference. Wifi signal is very strong and of course the Chromecast was on the same network.
Thanks Chuck. I'll plug it back in and check that.
post #993 of 2105 Old 10-28-2013, 05:01 PM

Well that was the problem. 1080p much better. So decided the Roku is better for me. On the 'super HD' Wild Oceans (Netflix) I noticed a trace of stutter on action scenes on the Chromecast. I think the higher resolution taxes my wifi which really is good (Comcast Blast). No stutter on Roku using Ethernet. That's enough to sell me there.
post #994 of 2105 Old 10-29-2013, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi

Does the Roku 3 support Dolby Digital +?

Thanks
Ron
post #995 of 2105 Old 10-29-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You asked the same question on the Apple TV forum. The answer is yes as I watch Vudu movies all the time that have DD+.

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #996 of 2105 Old 10-29-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnperry View Post

Well that was the problem. 1080p much better. So decided the Roku is better for me. On the 'super HD' Wild Oceans (Netflix) I noticed a trace of stutter on action scenes on the Chromecast. I think the higher resolution taxes my wifi which really is good (Comcast Blast). No stutter on Roku using Ethernet. That's enough to sell me there.

The fastest Netflix SuperHD stream is only 5.8Mb/s. I would hope it is not taxing your WiFi. If it is you have some other issues going on. 5.8Mb/s is extremely slow. Although I think Netflix says you need around a 7Mb/s or 8Mb/s conection for the highest SuperHD stream. but either way, i could stream that over super slow 802.11g with no issues. It should not be taxing your WiFi. The stuttering may have been caused by another issue. Or is device specific.

Everywhere I've used Rokus, whether using a wireless connection or a wired connection, the results have been identical from the streaming services.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #997 of 2105 Old 10-29-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

You asked the same question on the Apple TV forum. The answer is yes as I watch Vudu movies all the time that have DD+.

I did, figured it was more appropriate here smile.gif

Thanks for answering twice, going to Costco to pick one up!

Ron
post #998 of 2105 Old 10-29-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstambo View Post

Does the Roku 3 support Dolby Digital +?

It depends upon what you mean by "support". It passes DD+ through for Netflix and VUDU. Most other devices can convert it to basic DD, but the Roku does not, probably to avoid licensing Dolby tech; your AVR must have DD+ decoding.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #999 of 2105 Old 10-29-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

It depends upon what you mean by "support". It passes DD+ through for Netflix and VUDU. Most other devices can convert it to basic DD, but the Roku does not, probably to avoid licensing Dolby tech; your AVR must have DD+ decoding.

Thanks for the clarification. Poor choice of words I suppose. Yes my receiver supports decoding DD+

I am surprised (but not shocked) that the ATV 3 does not. It seems to only pass DD.

Does the Roku also pass DD+ for HBO Go as well?

Thanks
Ron
post #1000 of 2105 Old 10-29-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstambo View Post

I am surprised (but not shocked) that the ATV 3 does not. It seems to only pass DD.

I have heard that there's a separate set of audio encodings for ATV, created in basic DD. Apple may have chosen to have Netflix do that in order to not have to convert and not have problems with legacy equipment, which the Rokus do. There are millions of older 5.1 sound AVRs in use which can decode basic DD but not DD+.

"
" -- hookbill
post #1001 of 2105 Old 10-29-2013, 04:51 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I've used Roku 3, Apple TV 3 and now Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV, and all of them are pretty much the same. However, I like the Google TV UI much better. Roku UI is probably the most horrible interface I've ever use.

What irritates you about Roku's UI? I think it's really easy to use and intuitive.I don't have to explain to anyone how to use it I had them the remote and they are lookin for something to watch on netflix in a few seconds. It's fast loading UI as well. Faster then some of the smart TVs's I've used.
post #1002 of 2105 Old 10-29-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The fastest Netflix SuperHD stream is only 5.8Mb/s. I would hope it is not taxing your WiFi. If it is you have some other issues going on. 5.8Mb/s is extremely slow. Although I think Netflix says you need around a 7Mb/s or 8Mb/s conection for the highest SuperHD stream. but either way, i could stream that over super slow 802.11g with no issues. It should not be taxing your WiFi. The stuttering may have been caused by another issue. Or is device specific.

Everywhere I've used Rokus, whether using a wireless connection or a wired connection, the results have been identical from the streaming services.

You must be right on that. I get at least 13mb's (on my iTouch). Maybe it's a Chromecast thing. It was a subtle thing but enough to piss me off. I did read that the bandwidth of the super HD is up to 7mb's but that's not much. I was thinking of bandwidth streaming blu rays which is a real problem for wifi. Pretty amazing what they are able to do with 7mb's really.
post #1003 of 2105 Old 10-29-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72.9.159.100 View Post

What irritates you about Roku's UI? I think it's really easy to use and intuitive.I don't have to explain to anyone how to use it I had them the remote and they are lookin for something to watch on netflix in a few seconds. It's fast loading UI as well. Faster then some of the smart TVs's I've used.

Netflix not so much. The Plex App it's pretty horrible specially when you have a large collection of movies and TV shows. It takes forever to scroll to the movie I want to watch.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1004 of 2105 Old 10-29-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Netflix not so much.

"Netflix not so much" what? Easy and intuitive to use? What's hard or non-intuitive about a grid of poster thumbs from which to choose a title using left, right, up, down, OK and PLAY/PAUSE buttons? It starts up faster than on almost any other platform that I own (much faster than the much more powerful PS3 and Xbox 360's player) and it starts up title playback very quickly. My new TiVo Roamio starts its player almost as fast; it and the PS3 start title playback a bit more quickly and get to the highest quality video encodes more quickly.

"
" -- hookbill
post #1005 of 2105 Old 10-29-2013, 07:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

The Plex App it's pretty horrible specially when you have a large collection of movies and TV shows. It takes forever to scroll to the movie I want to watch.

Try the RARflixTest Roku channel. I think you'll like some of the options provided. Understand that many of the options you can toggle on or off in preferences. One feature is a full grid view that you can change to 7 across. Also if you click up you will see a new row across the top. He just added multiple profile and PIN support.

The developer is presently adding features virtually every day. So it is in beta, but he responds to bug reports and feature requests quickly. Give it a try.
post #1006 of 2105 Old 10-29-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post

Try the RARflixTest Roku channel. I think you'll like some of the options provided. Understand that many of the options you can toggle on or off in preferences. One feature is a full grid view that you can change to 7 across. Also if you click up you will see a new row across the top. He just added multiple profile and PIN support.

The developer is presently adding features virtually every day. So it is in beta, but he responds to bug reports and feature requests quickly. Give it a try.

I don't own a Roku anymore, and I don't think I will own one for a while. Thanks though.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #1007 of 2105 Old 10-30-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For me it has always been the horizontal box look/scrolling. It has always been a serious annoyance to me. With the Roku 3, the grid style is MUCH better, however there are still many apps that haven't converted to the newer style(NHL, I'm looking at you here, if MLB.TV can update their look, so can you). Netflix hasn't updated their interface, nor have they integrated support for profiles yet(another sore point for me, I don't want my daugher's movie habits filling my recommendations), even tho just about every other device has had support for a while now.

Part of the problem was/is that Roku(as they are prone to do) seemed to be dragging their feet at getting a newer development kit out there for channels to update. I don't know if that's still the case, but I know that was an issue at one point.
10aosmer likes this.
post #1008 of 2105 Old 10-31-2013, 04:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

..., I don't want my daugher's movie habits filling my recommendations....

+++ 1
post #1009 of 2105 Old 11-01-2013, 11:43 AM

I just purchased a Roku 3 and also have an ATV3. I like the picture quality better on the Roku, but do like the grid layout of ATV much better. Especially for browsing movies on HBOGo.

What I am amazed at is that Neflix dosen't have profiles. Every other device i have that can stream Netflix supports profiles. iPad, Sony Blu-Ray, ATV, PC, PS3/ How is this NOT on the Roku.

Is it Netflix or Roku? And of course the much discussed lack of youtube channel. I wouldn't have thought I would have missed it but having had it on ATV and not having it, I am in fact missing. it.

I like to collect all the youtube clips that I see throughout the day, browsing on the ipad and then view them on my 70in TV via ATV

Overall, I have to say that even though ATV lacks all the channels, I foresee myself going back to it, over the Roku.
I bought the Roku for the added channels, like Vudu and Amazon Prime, spotify, etc.

Seems like Roku is one decent update away from having it all. Hopefully it is sooner than later. I really like the box and I think the picture is better and the channels it has are great....
Ron
post #1010 of 2105 Old 11-01-2013, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Not to troll here again so sorry for that but I have a ATV. HD (1080p & 720p) and even SD (480p) content looks much sharper with more vibrant colors than the Roku and it is even clearer than the PS3. Okay I am done.

That's interesting, I have both the ATV3 and Roku3 and I fail to see that difference.
post #1011 of 2105 Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

That's interesting, I have both the ATV3 and Roku3 and I fail to see that difference.

+1

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #1012 of 2105 Old 11-01-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

+1
post #1013 of 2105 Old 11-01-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Not to troll here again so sorry for that but I have a ATV. HD (1080p & 720p) and even SD (480p) content looks much sharper with more vibrant colors than the Roku and it is even clearer than the PS3. Okay I am done.
Glad you're happy with the move to ATV. I have both but prefer the Apple UI.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.

post #1014 of 2105 Old 11-02-2013, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Glad you're happy with the move to ATV. I have both but prefer the Apple UI.

I agree, I prefer the ATV UI as well. Picture quality however isn't an issue with either device, not BD quality but I'm not expecting it to be either.
post #1015 of 2105 Old 11-02-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

The main difference is the Roku 3 (and 2) sends RGB Limited (16 - 235) only with no option to switch to another color space. The Apple TV allows you to switch between YCbCR, RGB Low (Full 0 - 255) and RGB High (Limited 16 - 235).

If your set up handles RGB limited correctly then I agree there is little difference between a Roku or an Apple TV (I personally think the Apple TV looks looks better - but it is subtle not night and day).

However the Roku RGB limited doesn't seem to play nicely with some common receivers causing black crush and lack of shadow detail.

My preference is to use a device like the Apple TV that can output YCbCR which is the format used by most consumer video devices and is the format most consumer video is authored in.
reddice likes this.
post #1016 of 2105 Old 11-02-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

I agree, I prefer the ATV UI as well. Picture quality however isn't an issue with either device, not BD quality but I'm not expecting it to be either.

With the proviso that you have a set up that can handle RGB Limited - it is the source that will determine the output quality.

Netflix, Hulu+. Amazon etc won't look like Blu-Ray because they are relatively low bit rate streams (some Netflix Super HD is actually starting to look pretty good - but still not Blu-Ray of course)

Vudu HDX (on the Roku) and iTunes (on the Apple TV) actually very good - still not Blu-Ray but very good. The limitation again remains the source data rate not either of the players.
post #1017 of 2105 Old 11-04-2013, 05:48 AM

Movies look better on my Roku 3 then they do on the Xbox360. Also the Xbox360's Netflix UI is way slower and movies start way slower.
post #1018 of 2105 Old 11-04-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Movies look better on my Roku 3 then they do on the Xbox360. Also the Xbox360's Netflix UI is way slower and movies start way slower.

The XBox has never impressed me with their streaming(I have issues stream The Hobbit, which I own through UV, thru Vudu, it stutters badly, while on the Roku 3 and other platforms it is perfect). They have great features in their apps, like the ability to view two games at once in the NHL and MLB apps, however, especially with the NHL, I have issue with the quality of it's game streams. They just aren't as clear or as smooth as my Roku(or Apple TV).

I actually prefer my Roku 3 to stream the NHL(and MLB) because it seems to tolerate an erratic stream better than other devices. The NY Rangers/MSG feed seems to always have hiccups and on my Apple TV, when they hit, it will sometimes just stop streaming(get the spinning) and I have to restart. On the Roku, while I will see a hiccup, it recovers well and quickly, while never stopping the stream. However, it is slow within the NHL app and changing games on the Roku is painfull because when exiting a game, it sits on "Accessing the NHL" for a while before giving control back). On the Apple TV, while the message comes up there too, I can just hit the menu button to back out immediately and get to another game.
post #1019 of 2105 Old 11-04-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't notice the UI slowness that you do, but the Xbox's streaming apps are limited to 720p with the exceptions of Xbox VIdeo and VUDU. My 360 Slim probably draws 30 or more times as much power as my Roku 3; I never use my game consoles for streaming video.

That being said my TiVo Roamio has become my favorite Netflix streamer.

"
" -- hookbill
post #1020 of 2105 Old 11-04-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

The XBox has never impressed me with their streaming(I have issues stream The Hobbit, which I own through UV, thru Vudu, it stutters badly, while on the Roku 3 and other platforms it is perfect). They have great features in their apps, like the ability to view two games at once in the NHL and MLB apps, however, especially with the NHL, I have issue with the quality of it's game streams. They just aren't as clear or as smooth as my Roku(or Apple TV).

I actually prefer my Roku 3 to stream the NHL(and MLB) because it seems to tolerate an erratic stream better than other devices. The NY Rangers/MSG feed seems to always have hiccups and on my Apple TV, when they hit, it will sometimes just stop streaming(get the spinning) and I have to restart. On the Roku, while I will see a hiccup, it recovers well and quickly, while never stopping the stream. However, it is slow within the NHL app and changing games on the Roku is painfull because when exiting a game, it sits on "Accessing the NHL" for a while before giving control back). On the Apple TV, while the message comes up there too, I can just hit the menu button to back out immediately and get to another game.

The Xbox 360 also buffers more and more every time I use it. I actually stopped using it for streaming alltogether. Another reason I'm glad I got the Roku3. it rarely buffers on Netflix or other channels. I got a high power Amped Wireless router and sig str. is really high on both devices so it's not my network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I don't notice the UI slowness that you do, but the Xbox's streaming apps are limited to 720p with the exceptions of Xbox VIdeo and VUDU. My 360 Slim probably draws 30 or more times as much power as my Roku 3; I never use my game consoles for streaming video.

That being said my TiVo Roamio has become my favorite Netflix streamer.

I got it on both the original design 360 as well as the "slim" one.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page