post #1081 of 2016 Old 11-25-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

I have both and have noticed that the 3 is faster and has better WiFi reception. I only purchased a Roku 3 because I wanted units for additional TV's. I wouldn't upgrade "just to upgrade".

I would have to agree with this. If you are happy with your Roku2 XS, no need to upgrade unless you just need another unit. Yes, the 3 is faster at changing apps and faster at starting shows (and a LOT faster at booting up if needed). But, once a show is started, then there is no recognizable difference from having a faster processor. I like that the Roku 3 weighs more (on the same line of weight as the Apple TV now) which helps is stay in place, but that's just an 'aside' benefit. Another thing is the Netflix upgrade to the Roku 3, much better than before. I'm not sure why they just don't do the upgrade across the board with all legacy Rokus. We have one Roku 3, all other rooms have the Roku 2 XS and there is no need to change/upgrade them unless one goes bad.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2016 Old 11-25-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post

Another thing is the Netflix upgrade to the Roku 3, much better than before. I'm not sure why they just don't do the upgrade across the board with all legacy Rokus.

I suspect that it may have something to do with processor speed. The new Netflix player runs on what amounts to a specialized web browser. Getting that to run smoothly non-Roku-3s might be challenging. They're talking about it maybe coming at some undefined point after the new year (Netflix's blog implies that it is coming and Roku's blog says "we're looking into it"). To me it's tellling that they didn't bring it to Roku 2 at the same time like they brought M-GO to all 2nd and 3rd gen boxes at the same time.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1083 of 2016 Old 11-26-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I suspect that it may have something to do with processor speed. The new Netflix player runs on what amounts to a specialized web browser. Getting that to run smoothly non-Roku-3s might be challenging. They're talking about it maybe coming at some undefined point after the new year (Netflix's blog implies that it is coming and Roku's blog says "we're looking into it"). To me it's tellling that they didn't bring it to Roku 2 at the same time like they brought M-GO to all 2nd and 3rd gen boxes at the same time.

That makes sense Michael. I haven't been on Netflix's or Roku's blog lately. It makes me wonder if there will be more future aps (most likely) that will require more processing power. Then legacy products will become outdated. This is something we can expect anyway with progress and development, it just happens at a more accelerated rate in this day and age.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #1084 of 2016 Old 11-30-2013, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello, does Roku 3 support AVI playback yet? because I put an AVI file on there and it does not detect it in the USB Media Player app...

post #1085 of 2016 Old 11-30-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlagasX View Post

Hello, does Roku 3 support AVI playback yet? because I put an AVI file on there and it does not detect it in the USB Media Player app...

Yet? Most likely never. It's a 20 year old container that is technically weak compared to the current standards that roku supports. I wouldn't count on it if I were you. Use plex in order to watch your avi's.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #1086 of 2016 Old 12-01-2013, 10:22 AM

Liked: 12
Does any one now if a new generation of Roku is coming soon? I have a an XD/S and a 3. I gave my wife the 3 for the LR and kept the XD/S for 61" TV. BIG MISTAKE. I can get DD 5.1 from Amazon but not Nefflix on the XD/S. And you can see a difference in PQ. If a new generation is on the horizon, I'll wait a few months. Otherwise I am getting myself a 3 for the big TV.
post #1087 of 2016 Old 12-01-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The 1, 2 and new LT just launched at the end of September.

post #1088 of 2016 Old 12-01-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 326
The 3 was on sale(Black Friday deal) direct from Roku(email blast) for $79.99 through Monday I believe, with free shipping. Finally decided to get one, not that I absolutely need it, but what the heck! biggrin.gif
post #1089 of 2016 Old 12-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Liked: 15
figure I would ask here. After I have taken my Roku 3 elsewhere and logged into myplex on it I can watch my collection when I'm away but when I bring it back to my network I get constant buffering until I log out of myplex on the Roku then it works fine. Is there a simpler way than logging into myplex on the road and then logging out when I'm home?
post #1090 of 2016 Old 12-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

The 3 was on sale(Black Friday deal) direct from Roku(email blast) for $79.99 through Monday I believe, with free shipping. Finally decided to get one, not that I absolutely need it, but what the heck! biggrin.gif

Is there a promo code? I just went to their site and it's listed at $99.99.

On another note, I'm loving the extended wireless range of the Roku 3. I initially got a Roku 2 XS and I had to move my router to the living room to hardwire it. I have since gotten a Roku 3 for my computer room (where the modem & router used to be) and the signal is fine. I picked up a MoCA setup that I might be returning.smile.gif

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #1091 of 2016 Old 12-01-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

Is there a promo code? I just went to their site and it's listed at $99.99.

On another note, I'm loving the extended wireless range of the Roku 3. I initially got a Roku 2 XS and I had to move my router to the living room to hardwire it. I have since gotten a Roku 3 for my computer room (where the modem & router used to be) and the signal is fine. I picked up a MoCA setup that I might be returning.smile.gif
It was via an email, "thanks for being a customer...", I had purchased a Roku 2 years ago for a family member and that's probably why I get the emails. The promo code is specific to the account/email, I just clicked the link in the email again and it shows the promo code being not valid, no doubt because I already used it.

Not sure if you can setup an account without purchasing something but it's worth a try, the offer is good through Monday at midnight. Maybe a friend that has already purchased a Roku could use the promo to purchase it for you?

Copy of email,

post #1092 of 2016 Old 12-01-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder why all owners didn't get that ad? (At least I think that I didn't--I might have deleted it by reflex since I'm not in the market for a Roku). If you log into your account they shave $10 off the cost of a Roku 3; whether you're logged in or not you get $20 off on a Roku 2. No savings are offered on the Roku 1 and LT.

post #1093 of 2016 Old 12-02-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I got the $79 offer too (and used it already).

v/r,
C-F
post #1094 of 2016 Old 12-02-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I wonder why all owners didn't get that ad? (At least I think that I didn't--I might have deleted it by reflex since I'm not in the market for a Roku). If you log into your account they shave $10 off the cost of a Roku 3; whether you're logged in or not you get $20 off on a Roku 2. No savings are offered on the Roku 1 and LT.
I'm not sure, I use Gmail and it came to my main email box. As it turns out I purchased the Roku 2 from Amazon back in Dec 2010 so I'm guessing the reason I got the email is that I must have registered the unit with Roku after setting it up at my mother's place and I must have used my email address instead of hers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post

I got the $79 offer too (and used it already).

v/r,
C-F
Yeah, I had been thinking about getting one for months and that pricing pushed me over the edge, "an impulse, gadget, not really needed, but what the heck" sort of purchase! biggrin.gif
post #1095 of 2016 Old 12-02-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I already purchased it from Amazon before I got the email. Too late.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #1096 of 2016 Old 12-02-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 86
too late is >7 days
post #1097 of 2016 Old 12-03-2013, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just purchased the Roku 3 from Amazon ($89 - $25 Amex Amazon promo credit) to complement my Netgear NeoTV 550 (local content). I plan on using the Roku 3 for Amazon Instant Video since I am an Amazon Prime member. Too bad this device does not do You Tube. Oh well, for $64, it will hold me over until I can build a HTPC.

Still Learning
post #1098 of 2016 Old 12-03-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have my ATV connected for YouTube but if Roku ever adds a YouTube channel I can disconnect my ATV.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #1099 of 2016 Old 12-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

I just purchased the Roku 3 from Amazon ($89 - $25 Amex Amazon promo credit) to complement my Netgear NeoTV 550 (local content). I plan on using the Roku 3 for Amazon Instant Video since I am an Amazon Prime member. Too bad this device does not do You Tube. Oh well, for $64, it will hold me over until I can build a HTPC.

Or buy a Synology and use the Roku DSVideo App to stream files in HD and 5.1 Sound.

Synology is a lot more flexible than a HTPC. I had one and much prefer my Synology.
post #1100 of 2016 Old 12-03-2013, 05:28 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruman View Post

Synology is a lot more flexible than a HTPC. I had one and much prefer my Synology.

I am curious, not challenging your comment.

I recently setup a Windows 8 HTPC with a Blu Ray drive running XBMC for local playback over HDMI in our home theater and PLEX for streaming to Roku3, ATV2 and iOS devices around the house.
This setup works perfectly for me.

Based on your experience will you give me some Pro and Cons of HTPC vs. Synology?

Thanks.
-BB
post #1101 of 2016 Old 12-04-2013, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruman View Post

Quote:

Or buy a Synology and use the Roku DSVideo App to stream files in HD and 5.1 Sound.

I have been using DSVideo with a Roku3 , Sony GTV (GS7) and an ATV3 via AirPlay for months. I have a Synology 1512+ NAS. I would choose Synology+ Roku3 over an HTPC easily. The only advantage of the HTPC is if there are certain Addons in XBMC that you really need or if you want to record or need higher than 5.1 sound. The only reason for not possible going with the Sony GTV is that you don't get access to Hulu+. That May or may not change once (if) they upgrade the Google TV OS. Unfortunately XBMC is losing access to premium streaming sites, so you'd still have to get something like a Roku anyway.

If I were to buy a Synology NAS now I would go for a two bay DS214Play which gives you real time transcoding of 1080p, and it costs a lot less than a DS1512+.

Bottom line is that I very much agree with you.

Philip
bruman likes this.
post #1102 of 2016 Old 12-04-2013, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbm3 View Post

I am curious, not challenging your comment.

I recently setup a Windows 8 HTPC with a Blu Ray drive running XBMC for local playback over HDMI in our home theater and PLEX for streaming to Roku3, ATV2 and iOS devices around the house.
This setup works perfectly for me.

Based on your experience will you give me some Pro and Cons of HTPC vs. Synology?

Thanks.
-BB

Hey, I am not saying HTPC does not have it's advantages over Synology. One is Full Bit Rate and Full HD sound which takes a bit more work on the Synology. The Synology is more than a HTPC and IMO, Win8 blows. smile.gif

The Synology is a lot more flexible and is pretty seamless with the apps it has, one being the DSVideo app I mentioned. I have a low end Synology (112) and wish I bought one that did Transcoding, but at the time I did not know and it is my first Synology I bought this year. Eventually I will upgrade.

I personally am not a fan of Plex, although it has some advantages, it access the internet too much for metadata and the Plex site. Synology does not do any of that, it looks for info once and done in a matter of minutes. The Synology is much much smaller, way more quiet and take virtually no power to run. You can't even hear it running in a quiet empty house with nothing on.

I have some 10-15GB files with 5.1 sound in MKV container and it is very nice, no Blu-ray but very convenient. I still have my Blu-ray player and the HTPC was fun back when I had it and really provided a great picture quality, but I guess I have been sucked in to streaming a bit over the years (which I thought would never happen). smile.gif

I find myself using my Synology for all kinds of things, I use it every week for something and sometimes multiple days a week. My HTPC not so much.

The one thing I like is I have a beach place, I bring my Roku 3 there and can stream anything from the Synology from home to the beach. Very convenient for the kids! Dragging a HTPC or PC would not be very much fun for me, we drag enough when we go to our beach place.

The kids really love having their own account and being able to watch their tv shows and movies on their Iphones. They also really like being able to watch all our home movies I encoded recently and every single picture we own and all their audio also. There is an app for video, photos and audio.

For the price, the Synology is very versatile. You would think it would cost a lot more for what it does.
post #1103 of 2016 Old 12-04-2013, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Vudu is pretty cool also and the picture quality is quite good with 5.1 sound (DD+).

Not only that, you can link your Ultraviolet account and get your movies saved for free to watch through Vudu.

I am surprised people are so hung up on youtube. I use it when I need to find something for info, but do people really watch stuff on it ? I don't know, I really don't get the attraction of Youtube so much with so many people. I think it is garbage and whatever is there I can find or make elsewhere.

The buffering and commercials drive me crazy.
post #1104 of 2016 Old 12-04-2013, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I have been using DSVideo with a Roku3 , Sony GTV (GS7) and an ATV3 via AirPlay for months. I have a Synology 1512+ NAS. I would choose Synology+ Roku3 over an HTPC easily. The only advantage of the HTPC is if there are certain Addons in XBMC that you really need or if you want to record or need higher than 5.1 sound. The only reason for not possible going with the Sony GTV is that you don't get access to Hulu+. That May or may not change once (if) they upgrade the Google TV OS. Unfortunately XBMC is losing access to premium streaming sites, so you'd still have to get something like a Roku anyway.

If I were to buy a Synology NAS now I would go for a two bay DS214Play which gives you real time transcoding of 1080p, and it costs a lot less than a DS1512+.

Bottom line is that I very much agree with you.

Philip

How do you like the Sony GTV ? It looks very interesting and nice for the price.
post #1105 of 2016 Old 12-04-2013, 06:40 AM

With a dedicated Home Theater, I prefer 1:1 BD quality video and HD audio. Of course this is not the case with online content, but for local content I will not settle for less with the exception of some of my old DVD collections where there is no BD releases yet. However, in the case of SD materials, I prefer to use a good upscaler like madVr. Throw in DVR of OTA broadcasts and a rare occasional YouTube, then HTPC is the most flexible solution for me.

Still Learning
post #1106 of 2016 Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

With a dedicated Home Theater, I prefer 1:1 BD quality video and HD audio.

They are called media players, like the Popcorn Hour. They began replacing the HTPC in the last century.
post #1107 of 2016 Old 12-04-2013, 09:44 AM

Can the Roku 3 be controlled with a Harmony 900?

Still Learning
post #1108 of 2016 Old 12-04-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

Can the Roku 3 be controlled with a Harmony 900?

I control my Roku 3 with my Harmony 880 so I don't see why you couldn't with a 900?

lujan
658 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #1109 of 2016 Old 12-04-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I control my Roku 3 with my Harmony 880 so I don't see why you couldn't with a 900?
Just got the Roku 3 yesterday and plan on setting up my 880 today. I noticed earlier in the thread michaeltscott mentioned using the Roku 2 XS setup for the device under 'DVD" in the Harmony setup software, is that what you did? I'm curious if you had to tweak the settings on the remote at all or if it worked with the default settings.

Thanks
post #1110 of 2016 Old 12-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Just got the Roku 3 yesterday and plan on setting up my 880 today. I noticed earlier in the thread michaeltscott mentioned using the Roku 2 XS setup for the device under 'DVD" in the Harmony setup software, is that what you did? I'm curious if you had to tweak the settings on the remote at all or if it worked with the default settings.

Thanks

I know I had to use "DVD" to setup my Roku 3. Works fine on my Roku HD too.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page