post #91 of 2105 Old 03-10-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

I love my Roku 3. I notice that Netflix streams look better and the sound is better than the PS3. Only the UI on the PS3 looks much better however the Roku UI does not have that annoying auto play. I hated that more than anything. I rarely watched the same show back to back and I rather just load the next episode myself.

That came in very handy for me when I watched House of Cards on my PS3. Since I watched the entire season within 24 hours. That was the first time I had really used that feature. It came in very handy. I do wish the Roku 3 had that feature as well.

Although personally I did not notice any difference in the audio or video between the Roku 3 and the PS3. The PS3 bitstreams the DD+ just like the Roku 3 does. And visually from what I've seen so far I haven't noticed much difference if any

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2105 Old 03-10-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The PS3 bitstreams the DD+ just like the Roku 3 does.

Yours must be a slim. My launch model fat bitstreams basic DD.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #93 of 2105 Old 03-10-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

That came in very handy for me when I watched House of Cards on my PS3. Since I watched the entire season within 24 hours. That was the first time I had really used that feature. It came in very handy. I do wish the Roku 3 had that feature as well.

Although personally I did not notice any difference in the audio or video between the Roku 3 and the PS3. The PS3 bitstreams the DD+ just like the Roku 3 does. And visually from what I've seen so far I haven't noticed much difference if any
Well I hate that feature more than anything when the credits get squished and it countsdown 20 seconds then it wants to play the next episode. I like watching the credits so I can see who is who and other info like the copyright date and the company that made the show. What is so hard about PLAYING THE NEXT EPISODE YOURSELF ANYWAY. The Roku puts you on the next episode anyway. I hope the Roku NEVER gets this as the Windows 8 app does not have it either.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #94 of 2105 Old 03-10-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Yours must be a slim. My launch model fat bitstreams basic DD.

Yes, I forgot about the fat version. I traded my fat in for a Slim when they were released.

post #95 of 2105 Old 03-10-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well I hate that feature more than anything when the credits get squished and it countsdown 20 seconds then it wants to play the next episode. I like watching the credits so I can see who is who and other info like the copyright date and the company that made the show. What is so hard about PLAYING THE NEXT EPISODE YOURSELF ANYWAY. The Roku puts you on the next episode anyway. I hope the Roku NEVER gets this as the Windows 8 app does not have it either.

Usually for actors and other credits I check online, like from IMDB. I don't typically view them from the actual show credits.

post #96 of 2105 Old 03-10-2013, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

if you move your controller to the left you can open the credits back up to full screen. it took me a while to figure that out.

on another note....ESPN3 is on the Plex channel but I cant get it to work. The programming is up to date but it wont play. PlayOn.tv has ESPN3 as well, but its not worth it for me to purchase a membership just for that channel as all the other channels I dont need.
post #97 of 2105 Old 03-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

As mentioned this complaint is bogus. You can view the credits all you want. I'm a little tired of hearing this complaint when there are solutions. Being able to automatically jump to the next episode as well as skip the annoying "Previously on..." for most TV shows is a godsend and I have stopped using the Roku as my primary Netflix client because it does not have it.
post #98 of 2105 Old 03-10-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, I strongly dislike it too and I don't generally read TV series credits. My problem with it is if I fall asleep watching a series when I wake up it might be several episodes ahead. I don't understand what the problem with hitting a single button to start the next episode is.

"
" -- hookbill
post #99 of 2105 Old 03-10-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well, I strongly dislike it too and I don't generally read TV series credits. My problem with it is if I fall asleep watching a series when I wake up it might be several episodes ahead. I don't understand what the problem with hitting a single button to start the next episode is.

On the BoxeeTV it will prompt you to make sure you are still watching. If you don't select OK then it doesn't continue on to the next episode.

post #100 of 2105 Old 03-11-2013, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On the BoxeeTV it will prompt you to make sure you are still watching. If you don't select OK then it doesn't continue on to the next episode.

The PS3 does this as well after 2 or 3 episodes as does the Xbox. I haven't seen an implementation that doesn't. I admit I love this for another reason - I like to fall asleep to the TV and usually will still be awake when one episode would finish so this feature is great for that too.
post #101 of 2105 Old 03-11-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Again, what is the difficulty of pushing the OK button when the episode is done to start the next? I believe that at the end of the episode every interface ends up back in the title's dialog with "Play {next episode}" selected in the menu. All you have to do is pick up the remote and press OK or SEL or whatever to start the next episode (unless you started it by pressing PLAY with the series' poster thumb selected in the browser, in which case it will return you to the browser with that thumb selected, where you can start the next episode by pressing PLAY again). This is a feature which serves no discernible real purpose and has the potential to screw you up by mindlessly advancing through multiple episodes with no one watching, if you doze off. I will say that it's a cool looking piece of UI design, if useless smile.gif.

"
" -- hookbill
post #102 of 2105 Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
There is no difficulty. What's so difficult about setting the sleep timer on the tv? I'd like a "Play All" OPTION when watching TV episodes. Like you used to get with some TV Shows on dvd. I enjoyed it as a feature on the Boxee Box when watching House of Cards and found it valuable. It works for the way I consume TV episodes. I hope the Roku 3 gets a "Play All" option too. That way, those that want it can have it and those that don't, won't have it.
post #103 of 2105 Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Again, what is the difficulty of pushing the OK button when the episode is done to start the next? I believe that at the end of the episode every interface ends up back in the title's dialog with "Play {next episode}" selected in the menu. All you have to do is pick up the remote and press OK or SEL or whatever to start the next episode (unless you started it by pressing PLAY with the series' poster thumb selected in the browser, in which case it will return you to the browser with that thumb selected, where you can start the next episode by pressing PLAY again). This is a feature which serves no discernible real purpose and has the potential to screw you up by mindlessly advancing through multiple episodes with no one watching, if you doze off. I will say that it's a cool looking piece of UI design, if useless smile.gif.

Because with this feature it also automatically skips the intro song and/or "previously on..." nonsense, which becomes really annoying if you're watching a lot back-to-back. I've been flying through Justified with my parents thanks to Amazon adding it to Prime and I *really* wanted that ability after the 3rd or 4th time to skip the intro song.
post #104 of 2105 Old 03-11-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

Because with this feature it also automatically skips the intro song and/or "previously on..." nonsense, which becomes really annoying if you're watching a lot back-to-back.

Now that's useful. However, I'd prefer a "Play, skipping titles" option. What happens if you're watching a show that always has an opening scene before the titles (NCIS, the Star Trek series and many others)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by En Sabur Nur View Post

There is no difficulty. What's so difficult about setting the sleep timer on the tv? I'd like a "Play All" OPTION when watching TV episodes.

I don't care about the TV being on, it's episodes of my show that I haven't watched being run through and me having to be aware of that and figure out where I was. It's like a bookmark falling out of a novel that I'm reading.

I wouldn't mind if it was something optional, but they forced it on their customers, which was rude as hell. They should put a flag in your account or add it as a switchable option in the title menu, like captioning or 5.1 sound. It could even be persistent, like those things are on Roku, being on by default for every title if you enable it once until you turn it off before playing something. As it is, I really hope that it's never added to the Roku's Netflix player, which for me would be a big step in the wrong direction. Let's add an annoying musical background theme to the browser instead rolleyes.gif.

"
" -- hookbill
post #105 of 2105 Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I know I can just right click and hit select on the PS3 but it is annoying everytime.

Michael I agree with everything you say. What is the big deal of just hitting one button to advance to the next episode. What Netflix needs to do is give us a option to turn off auto play in the account settings page.

Cats are the best pets.
post #106 of 2105 Old 03-11-2013, 12:52 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:

biggrin.gif I've actually had that happen to me and it's really disorienting when you realize you've not just slept through an episode, but some of the next one, as well.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #107 of 2105 Old 03-11-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What happens if you're watching a show that always has an opening scene before the titles (NCIS, the Star Trek series and many others)?

I answered this for myself, artificially inducing an automatic episode start by FF'ing to the end of an episode (Doctor Who) and letting it run through the credits. It does not skip the front matter if the episode begins with a scene before the titles, so they must mark those somehow. I also noticed that it didn't reduce the size of the screen until the end of the credits (on a WD TV Play).

"
" -- hookbill
post #108 of 2105 Old 03-11-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I also noticed that it didn't reduce the size of the screen until the end of the credits (on a WD TV Play).

Okay--I tried this on four different players with this UI, the PS3, Panasonic BDT220, Sony BDP-S390 and WD TV Play and among those only the PS3 shrinks the video at the credits. All of the others wait until the episode runs to the end. Of course, the PS3 does thereby offer a one button click method to skip the credits and immediately start the next episode, skipping the titles if it doesn't start with a scene before them.

A lot of the television series that I stream start each episode with a scene before the title sequence. A few don't, like South Park and Skins.

God, I have entirely too much free time on my hands. I need to find a more productive hobby biggrin.gif.

"
" -- hookbill
post #109 of 2105 Old 03-11-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:

Okay--I tried this on four different players with this UI, the PS3, Panasonic BDT220, Sony BDP-S390 and WD TV Play and among those only the PS3 shrinks the video at the credits. All of the others wait until the episode runs to the end. Of course, the PS3 does thereby offer a one button click method to skip the credits and immediately start the next episode, skipping the titles if it doesn't start with a scene before them.

A lot of the television series that I stream start each episode with a scene before the title sequence. A few don't, like South Park and Skins.

God, I have entirely too much free time on my hands. I need to find a more productive hobby biggrin.gif.

important to note as I stated previously, eventhough the PS3 shrinks the window, you can navigate back to the left and open it up full screen if you want to read credits
post #110 of 2105 Old 03-11-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synistr View Post

important to note as I stated previously, eventhough the PS3 shrinks the window, you can navigate back to the left and open it up full screen if you want to read credits

I know but it is a PITA to do that every time. It should at least remember.

Cats are the best pets.
post #111 of 2105 Old 03-11-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you fall asleep while watching TV, what ever you are watching must not be very interesting (good)
post #112 of 2105 Old 03-11-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

If you fall asleep while watching TV, what ever you are watching must not be very interesting (good)

Or you're more tired than you realized when you started watching.

"
" -- hookbill
post #113 of 2105 Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:

I know but it is a PITA to do that every time. It should at least remember.

yeah, I am not against features like that, what I am against is not providing options to enable or disable
post #114 of 2105 Old 03-12-2013, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Like some posts I read.
farkem likes this.

Gary J

post #115 of 2105 Old 03-12-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Some people like to fall asleep watching TV. I am not one of those people but my GF is.

post #116 of 2105 Old 03-12-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I can never fall asleep watching TV. I have trouble falling asleep normally.

Cats are the best pets.
post #117 of 2105 Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I never fall asle e ep ... eit her ... zz z z z zzZZZZZZZZZ ..... Snort!
Huh? Oh sorry, must have dozed off.
post #118 of 2105 Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 AM

Liked: 10
Others have already confirmed this through usage of the Roku 3, but here is the official word on 1080p24 from Roku:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokuDavidM (from Roku forum): 
1080p24 is a feature unique to the Roku Streaming Stick. It is not available on any other device.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?p=373844#p373844
post #119 of 2105 Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I fell asleep last night, watching old Law & Order episodes on Netflix on a WD TV Play; it only went a few episodes before stopping. I still think that it's a largely useless and uncalled for feature. They could have used the development resources to add something good to the player.

"
" -- hookbill
post #120 of 2105 Old 03-12-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How does Plex play on the Roku 3? Smooth, faster? I am also curious if the data from Plex is being pulled into the results when doing a content search on the box. Example: I type in "Jaws" it will show the movie tile record with Netflix next to it and another record with Hulu... You click the record and the movie plays in that source. If I have the movie file indexed in Plex would it come back in the search results and play in Plex?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page