Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #1171 of 2008 Old 12-18-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For the first free M-Go movie rental I selected it on the Roku and clicked Rent, and it prompted me on-screen to automatically create a new M-Go account, which I did. After that I proceeded with the rental, and it showed me a final price of $0.00. Nothing showed up on my credit card. For the second movie there was no prompt to create an account, and it again showed a final price of $0.00, but I was prompted to enter my Roku purchasing PIN. Again nothing showed up on my credit card, so I'm satisfied that the 2 free rentals were delivered as offered. I understand that you can also sign up independently with M-Go and get a 2 free rentals offer, but that's a separate offer, not connected to Roku.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2008 Old 12-18-2013, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Music View Post

Love my ROKU 3 , but having a hard time figureing out how to get my 2 free movies from M-go. I'm all signed up and even watched my first movie witch I thought was going to be the first free one out of two. However it was instantly charged to my credit card. I contacted M-GO but got no reply.

Please help if you can.

Ben Music

Good luck. Read the fine print. When I signed up for VUDU last year, it came with a couple of free rentals. In the fine print, they were from a list. They were all older movies. Never used them.

I want another 3 to replace my X/DS, no offer will affect this deal..
post #1173 of 2008 Old 12-18-2013, 07:23 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

You should be able to add it by going to the Channel Store.

Thats just it, it doesn't list in the channel store
post #1174 of 2008 Old 12-18-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Music View Post

Love my ROKU 3 , but having a hard time figureing out how to get my 2 free movies from M-go. I'm all signed up and even watched my first movie witch I thought was going to be the first free one out of two. However it was instantly charged to my credit card. I contacted M-GO but got no reply.

Please help if you can.

Ben Music

Hmm? Strange, because I also subscribed and bought a movie on M-Go and watched my first rental which was $0.00. Are you sure the 30 days hasn't already past because you have to watch the 2 free rentals within 30 days of subscribing?

lujan
654 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #1175 of 2008 Old 12-18-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Hmm? Strange, because I also subscribed and bought a movie on M-Go and watched my first rental which was $0.00. Are you sure the 30 days hasn't already past because you have to watch the 2 free rentals within 30 days of subscribing?

Yep, had no problems with my 2 free either. When I rented them, they showed as $0.00 charges on my Roku account.

BTW, did anyone notice.... an OFFICIAL YouTube channel has finally arrived on the Roku 3(I see someone posted above)?

If Directv would quit being *icks about allowing HBOGo activations on Roku, I'd be set(luckily Directv does allow it on my Samsung TV tho).
post #1176 of 2008 Old 12-18-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Unfortunately the 5.3 update has made my Roku 2 XS a bit unstable. Channels keep crashing back to the Home page, and it loses the WiFi connection and the light on the front starts flickering. I think this release wasn't sufficiently tested on the older hardware.

I have a Roku 2 XS, and I've had zero problems with crashing--I'm using ethernet, so no info about WiFi issue.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #1177 of 2008 Old 12-18-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Unfortunately the 5.3 update has made my Roku 2 XS a bit unstable. Channels keep crashing back to the Home page, and it loses the WiFi connection and the light on the front starts flickering. I think this release wasn't sufficiently tested on the older hardware.

I have a Roku 2 XS, and I've had zero problems with crashing--I'm using ethernet, so no info about WiFi issue.

no issue here (w/ ethernet), but I usually reboot may devices after any updates - good practice.
post #1178 of 2008 Old 12-22-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

Yep, had no problems with my 2 free either. When I rented them, they showed as $0.00 charges on my Roku account.

BTW, did anyone notice.... an OFFICIAL YouTube channel has finally arrived on the Roku 3(I see someone posted above)?

If Directv would quit being *icks about allowing HBOGo activations on Roku, I'd be set(luckily Directv does allow it on my Samsung TV tho).

I did see that. A couple months ago I bought my first streamer, a Roku 1 (the 3 didn't offer anything of benefit to me over the 1 at the time). Being disappointed that the YouTube channel was only available on the Roku 3, I wrote to Roku asking about it. Here's the response;

YouTube has just been recently released on the Roku platform but is only available on the Roku 3 model, as of now. The reason for this is new features and content sometimes require new hardware.
While we have continued to provide free software upgrades for all players, some new channels will require more computational power, memory and/or flash than we were able to include in other Roku players.

However, you don't have to worry. The channel is expected to be available on additional player models next year. We will keep you updated thru our website. You may also visit our Roku blog at http://blog.roku.com/ and subscribe to our Roku Newsletter to receive the updates straight to your inbox.

I hope this means we'll see YouTube come to the existing models and not just future additional new models.

post #1179 of 2008 Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 472
The Roku 3's processor is advertised (in Roku's specs) as being 5 times as fast as the others. I believe that both Netflix and YouTube are written in web authoring languages (Javascript, etc) running in "lite" web browsers. They''re implemented that way so that they can be changed as easily as updating a web site, without requiring an update to the resident code. Optimizing those engines to run well in 20% the CPU is no doubt challenging.

Netflix on most contemporary BDPs and streamers is written to run on an HTML5/Webkit platform; it runs like ass on most of them (try it on a Panasonic DMP-BDT220). TiVo just ported the Opera SDK platform to Premiere which has a much slower CPU than the newer TiVo Roamio models; YouTube's UI is pretty much unusably laggy on it (press-a-key-and-wait-a-few-seconds laggy). Roku users would not tolerate that kind of performance.
amesdp likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1180 of 2008 Old 12-22-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

New Roku owners might want to note that Plex is no longer free. The Roku client will cost $4.99 when the 30-day free trial period is over, same as the iOS and Android clients. Existing Roku owners who already have Plex in the channel list can keep it free as long as they have their Roku account.
post #1181 of 2008 Old 12-22-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The Roku 3's processor is advertised (in Roku's specs) as being 5 times as fast as the others. I believe that both Netflix and YouTube are written in web authoring languages (Javascript, etc) running in "lite" web browsers. They''re implemented that way so that they can be changed as easily as updating a web sites, without requiring an update to the resident code. Optimizing those engines to run well in 20% the CPU is no doubt challenging.

I am glad now that Netflix and YouTube now use web languages now to update. As they rarely update the actual channel they can now update them in realtime to make improvements unlike before when they used Brightscript. As for old devices especially the Roku 1st gen I think it is time for a upgrade. A Roku 3 can be bought for less than a $100.

As to the rebanded Roku 2,1 I think it was stupid for Roku even releasing those devices as they are underpowered and can't run the web language.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #1182 of 2008 Old 12-22-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

.....As to the rebanded Roku 2,1 I think it was stupid for Roku even releasing those devices as they are underpowered and can't run the web language.

I wish I had known this before buying the 1 a couple months ago. frown.gif

post #1183 of 2008 Old 12-22-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Quote:

.....As to the rebanded Roku 2,1 I think it was stupid for Roku even releasing those devices as they are underpowered and can't run the web language.

I wish I had known this before buying the 1 a couple months ago. frown.gif

No one knew it a couple of months ago; the new Netflix player didn't come out until last month, when it was revealed that it would only work on Roku 3 and of course the new YouTube player didn't come out until last week. Still Netflix and Roku are saying that it will come out on more Roku models "next year" (which starts in 10 days but I wouldn't start holding my breath then rolleyes.gif). The question is whether it'll perform well enough that you'll want to use it. If they cripple Netflix on sub-Roku-3 models by making it unusably slow there will be open revolt. Netflix is the signature function of Rokus; it's all the first Roku streaming video player model could do.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1184 of 2008 Old 12-22-2013, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

The remote is a big problem. Causes my Ipad to go offline. Causes my amazon instant video stream to drop to SD. It s all about the IP settings. Any who knows if there is any change to "hack" the roku 3 box / remote to get in the setting and set the proper one?

Change the WiFi channel on your router to a channel your Roku remote WiFi doesn't use. My router was on channel 11, I had to move it to 5 after pairing the remote.
post #1185 of 2008 Old 12-22-2013, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anybody use a Slingbox with their Roku 3?
post #1186 of 2008 Old 12-22-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I never used wireless on my Roku 3. I just have it connected to my gigabit switch. My 5 GHz network is on channel 157 and my Roku 3 remote is on channel 165. I know wired is not a solution for anyone but I only run devices wireless if I have no choice. If it has a Ethernet port I run it wired even on the other side of the house and different floors.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #1187 of 2008 Old 12-22-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post

Change the WiFi channel on your router to a channel your Roku remote WiFi doesn't use. My router was on channel 11, I had to move it to 5 after pairing the remote.

If the ROku uses wireless for internet connectivity then the WiFi Direct channel will be the same. You can only have the WiFi direct use a different channel if you use the wired connection on the Roku,. And then you have to force it to use another channel.

The Roku 3 uses 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. So the WiFi Direct channel can also be 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.

I have my Roku 3 using 5Ghz channel 165 for WiFi Direct. Which is nowhere near the 5Ghz channels I use for my APs(36, 40, and 44). Which of course causes no issues with any of the 2.4Ghz channels my APs use either.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1188 of 2008 Old 12-23-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post

Does anybody use a Slingbox with their Roku 3?

I don't think the Roku 3 has a SlingPlayer channel but my WD TV Live has a SlingPlayer channel or app that I use when not at home.

lujan
654 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #1189 of 2008 Old 12-23-2013, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I don't think the Roku 3 has a SlingPlayer app but my WD TV Live has a SlingPlayer app that I use when not at home.
Uh yes it does because I downloaded it the other night. I don't have a slingbox
but if I do get 1 I'll already have the app.
post #1190 of 2008 Old 12-23-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

I just downloaded the Slingplayer app on one of my Rokus. But it doesn't take me to a screen to log into my Slingbox 350. All it does is play a video about it. How do I set it up to play content from my Slinbox? I've used Slingplayer on my tablets and phones without issue. And also used the app on the Boxee Box which worked well. So I figured I would try it on my Roku.

LED DLP

post #1191 of 2008 Old 12-23-2013, 07:24 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I just downloaded the Slingplayer app on one of my Rokus. But it doesn't take me to a screen to log into my Slingbox 350. All it does is play a video about it. How do I set it up to play content from my Slinbox? I've used Slingplayer on my tablets and phones without issue. And also used the app on the Boxee Box which worked well. So I figured I would try it on my Roku.

Aaron
The app on roku is not a standalone app like on other connected devices. You must have the slingplayer app installed on an ios or android device for it to work. You start streaming in the mobile app and then send the stream to the roku. The phone/tablet serves as the client. This solution has been met with great disappointment, since this essentially ties up your phone/tablet . You cant use it to do anything else when streaming.
post #1192 of 2008 Old 12-23-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I never used wireless on my Roku 3. I just have it connected to my gigabit switch. My 5 GHz network is on channel 157 and my Roku 3 remote is on channel 165. I know wired is not a solution for anyone but I only run devices wireless if I have no choice. If it has a Ethernet port I run it wired even on the other side of the house and different floors.[/quote

Simple ruie:
If it's stationary it is wired, if mobile then wireless.
post #1193 of 2008 Old 12-23-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKBSRK View Post

Aaron
The app on roku is not a standalone app like on other connected devices. You must have the slingplayer app installed on an ios or android device for it to work. You start streaming in the mobile app and then send the stream to the roku. The phone/tablet serves as the client. This solution has been met with great disappointment, since this essentially ties up your phone/tablet . You cant use it to do anything else when streaming.

eek.gif
Ok Thanks. I would have never guessed that. The app on the Boxee Box was a stand alone app that streamed directly from the Slingbox without an intermediate device.

LED DLP

post #1194 of 2008 Old 12-23-2013, 08:38 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Does anyone know how to get HULU to show up in the app store?
post #1195 of 2008 Old 12-23-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post

Does anyone know how to get HULU to show up in the app store?

yea, you go to the channel store and find hulu. its there.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #1196 of 2008 Old 12-23-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKBSRK View Post

Aaron

Seems pretty useless to me then. I like the way the WD TV Live implemented it where you don't have to use any other device to watch your TiVo (for instance).

lujan
654 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #1197 of 2008 Old 12-23-2013, 10:45 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

yea, you go to the channel store and find hulu. its there.

Let me rephrase this. I'm a Canadian using American DNS servers so that I can get American Netflix. However, I don't see listed in the app store HULU which is NOT listed. How does one go about getting this?
post #1198 of 2008 Old 12-23-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post

Let me rephrase this. I'm a Canadian using American DNS servers so that I can get American Netflix. However, I don't see listed in the app store HULU which is NOT listed. How does one go about getting this?

you cant. it will only show up if you have a US based roku account and player. i dont think there is a workaround, unless you find out what the code is and manually add it. or you can get playon, install the play on channel and watch hulu that way.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #1199 of 2008 Old 12-23-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

You need a U.S. Roku account to get the Hulu+ channel, as well as many others like Vudu and Pandora. But there's no great difficulty to sign up for a U.S. Roku account. Do a little searching and you'll find the instructions. Of course Hulu+ costs $8/month to deliver content that's mostly already freely available from the individual network web sites. You'll need a solution to pay for it if you don't have a U.S. credit card, but there are other workarounds for that.
post #1200 of 2008 Old 12-27-2013, 06:40 AM

Liked: 15
Problem:

Installed the Roku 3 and the video is working fine, but can't receive audio. Anyone have a fix?

My Denon receiver has 2 HDMI jacks. I removed the one that my BluRay player is connected to and replaced it with an HDMI cord from my Roku 3. Seems like this was the right thing to do.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Samsung PN64F8500 Smart TV (64" Plasma-2013); LG BD 390 Blu-ray Player; Denon AVR-1709; Nakamichi MB CD Player; Verizon FiOS Motorola 7 Series Cable Box (500GB Hard Drive).  Pioneer Elite 1120 (5th Generation Plasma- 2005); Denon AVR 2800 (2000); Oppo Blu-ray 103 w/Roku Stick; Sony Carousal CD;...
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page