post #1261 of 2105 Old 01-05-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlst101 View Post

Does the Roku stick have all the same features as the Roku 3 box minus the remote?

You can get one with a gaming remote. Of course it doesn't have the Roku 3's Ethernet port, USB or SD Card slots. It has the unique ability to send 24p video to the television it's plugged into, something no other Roku model can do. It does not have the Roku 3's "5x faster" processor nor can it currently run the new Netflix player or YouTube players that the Roku 3 can (no doubt due to not having the faster processor). Supposedly those channels are coming to other Roku models at some point.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2105 Old 01-06-2014, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info michaelscott
post #1263 of 2105 Old 01-06-2014, 02:38 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

iTune, Vudu, Amazon, Blockbuster DD/DD+ bitrates seem to be all over the map - here

I don't think I believe this chart as I personally called M-Go to ask what their HD video resolution was over the Roku 3 and they said it was 1080p. I've watched a movie on M-Go and it is definitely 1080p.

Curios, how did you check 1080p encode? (keep in mind, R3 upscale video signal to 1080p)
post #1264 of 2105 Old 01-06-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avf5 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I don't think I believe this chart as I personally called M-Go to ask what their HD video resolution was over the Roku 3 and they said it was 1080p. I've watched a movie on M-Go and it is definitely 1080p.

Curios, how did you check 1080p encode? (keep in mind, R3 upscale video signal to 1080p)

I don't think that there is any objective indicator but I can say that M-GO HD video seems like 1080p to me. I got four freebies (wasted one on a film that Netflix released with superior sound the next day rolleyes.gif); I watched Pacific Rim, Now You See Me and The Conjuring, all of which were in crisp HD with DD+ 5.1 sound. If it was 720p it's the finest I've seen.

One caveat for M-GO is that not all titles are in 5.1 sound and there's no way to tell which. I squandered on of my freebies on The Sapphires, which had stereo sound on M-GO.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #1265 of 2105 Old 01-06-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I don't think that there is any objective indicator but I can say that M-GO HD video seems like 1080p to me. I got four freebies (wasted one on a film that Netflix released with superior sound the next day rolleyes.gif); I watched Pacific Rim, Now You See Me and The Conjuring, all of which were in crisp HD with DD+ 5.1 sound. If it was 720p it's the finest I've seen.

One caveat for M-GO is that not all titles are in 5.1 sound and there's no way to tell which. I squandered on of my freebies on The Sapphires, which had stereo sound on M-GO.

I tend to disagree. M-go seems like a 720p stream. For one, the quality seemed pretty horrible in comparison to other streaming services, and secondly, when you use the Roku stick it's only able to do passthrough 1080p. So Netflix and Vudu passthrough at 1080p, but M-go only plays at 720p (like Amazon). Finally with no Dolby Digital sound puts this service at the bottom of my list.

The ultraviolet linkage is awful too with all titles only being offered in SD .. rather than with Vudu, you get HDX 1080p. The ultraviolet catalog seemed very limited too.
post #1266 of 2105 Old 01-06-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Your experience of it was different from mine. The 3 films that I did watch seemed nearly as good VUDU HDX and the sound from them was DD+ 5.1. As I said, I rented one film (for free) which didn't have 5.1 sound and there was no way to know that it didn't, but I'd expect most to have it.

Inasmuch as it's adaptive bit rate streaming there's no way to know whether you were seeing the highest bit rate video encode.

"
" -- hookbill
post #1267 of 2105 Old 01-06-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Your experience of it was different from mine. The 3 films that I did watch seemed nearly as good VUDU HDX and the sound from them was DD+ 5.1. As I said, I rented one film (for free) which didn't have 5.1 sound and there was no way to know that it didn't, but I'd expect most to have it.

Inasmuch as it's adaptive bit rate streaming there's no way to know whether you were seeing the highest bit rate video encode.

I was using the stick with a Oppo 103d that provides a info overlay, It shows the input / ouput resolution, color space, along with other data. The stick is treated like any other input on the Oppo, and from my use, shows 720p for Mgo, but 1080p/24 for Netflix and Vudu HDX,
post #1268 of 2105 Old 01-07-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anybody using the MediaBrowser app to stream 1080p Blu Ray Rips?

If so, any success with Lossless Audio Codecs (TrueHD / HD-MA) using Roku 3?

If Roku 3 will properly stream 1080p + HD-MA, I will upgrade ASAP.
post #1269 of 2105 Old 01-07-2014, 08:09 AM

I am loving my Roku 3, but I need some advice on how to solve a particular issue with Plex, namely DTS.

I run Plex Media Server on an HTPC in the living room and use the Plex app on my Roku 3 in the bedroom. My Roku 3 is connected via HDMI to a small Samsung HDTV in the bedroom. Plex is working great. It seems most of my files work just fine when being played via "direct play", except that if the file has DTS audio I get no sound out of my tv (though the video plays back just fine).

So my thinking is that my tv is so low end (its maybe three years old and only like 23"), that it cannot decode/downmix the DTS into stereo. OK, that's fine. How do I get the DTS audio decoded or downmixed so that my tv can output it? I know I can use Plex Media Server to transcode, but that pushes the CPU usage on my HTPC up to 100%, which I would rather not do. Likewise, I imagine I could purchase a receiver with DTS decoding and connect speakers to it, but I would rather not (a) spend several hundred USD on receiver and speakers and (b) have a big receiver and big speakers in my bedroom. I am willing to purchase some other component to decode/downmix the DTS into stereo for the tv to playback, if need be and the cost / bulk isn't too great. Also, I am fine using the less than stellar speakers on the tv as it is a small room and the sound quality is good enough for me. I just want to be able to play the files that I have without needing to re-encode the audio tracks (cause that would be a pain with hundreds of files).

One thing I have considered is simply biting the bullet and purchasing a cheap receiver that will decode DTS and go Roku 3 ---> receiver ---> tv both connections being HDMI; however, I don't know if receivers these days can decode / downmix DTS and output the audio via HDMI to a tv.

I am sort of at a loss as to how to fix this. Any help?

post #1270 of 2105 Old 01-07-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwilly View Post

I am loving my Roku 3, but I need some advice on how to solve a particular issue with Plex, namely DTS.

I run Plex Media Server on an HTPC in the living room and use the Plex app on my Roku 3 in the bedroom. My Roku 3 is connected via HDMI to a small Samsung HDTV in the bedroom. Plex is working great. It seems most of my files work just fine when being played via "direct play", except that if the file has DTS audio I get no sound out of my tv (though the video plays back just fine).

So my thinking is that my tv is so low end (its maybe three years old and only like 23"), that it cannot decode/downmix the DTS into stereo. OK, that's fine. How do I get the DTS audio decoded or downmixed so that my tv can output it? I know I can use Plex Media Server to transcode, but that pushes the CPU usage on my HTPC up to 100%, which I would rather not do. Likewise, I imagine I could purchase a receiver with DTS decoding and connect speakers to it, but I would rather not (a) spend several hundred USD on receiver and speakers and (b) have a big receiver and big speakers in my bedroom. I am willing to purchase some other component to decode/downmix the DTS into stereo for the tv to playback, if need be and the cost / bulk isn't too great. Also, I am fine using the less than stellar speakers on the tv as it is a small room and the sound quality is good enough for me. I just want to be able to play the files that I have without needing to re-encode the audio tracks (cause that would be a pain with hundreds of files).

One thing I have considered is simply biting the bullet and purchasing a cheap receiver that will decode DTS and go Roku 3 ---> receiver ---> tv both connections being HDMI; however, I don't know if receivers these days can decode / downmix DTS and output the audio via HDMI to a tv.

I am sort of at a loss as to how to fix this. Any help?

set your roku to stereo in the Roku settings.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
post #1271 of 2105 Old 01-07-2014, 08:23 AM

Aero 1,

I think I tried that previously to no avail, but I will try again tonight.
post #1272 of 2105 Old 01-07-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwilly View Post

Aero 1,

I think I tried that previously to no avail, but I will try again tonight.

I don't think that will work. You'd have to tell the Plex media server to transcode the DTS audio or just do it yourself. It's pretty easy. When Plex sends videos to LG clients there is an option to transcode DTS audio.

Philip
post #1273 of 2105 Old 01-08-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

Anybody using the MediaBrowser app to stream 1080p Blu Ray Rips?

If so, any success with Lossless Audio Codecs (TrueHD / HD-MA) using Roku 3?

If Roku 3 will properly stream 1080p + HD-MA, I will upgrade ASAP.

Yes. Its absolutely awful. It hardly plays anything let alone DTS-MA. Even basic PCM seems all distorted. AVC video seems Ok-ish, but forgot about VC-1. Basically the Roku 3 is a disaster as a DLNA player.
post #1274 of 2105 Old 01-09-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I don't think that will work. You'd have to tell the Plex media server to transcode the DTS audio or just do it yourself. It's pretty easy. When Plex sends videos to LG clients there is an option to transcode DTS audio.

Philip

Yeah. It would not work.

I have been running Plex on the Roku 3, which I really like. I was trying to avoid using the transcode feature because for some reason Plex Media Server was transcoding both the audio and video whenever a file had DTS audio. I just caved and bought a Sony soundbar that decodes DTS that was on sale. Now when a file is in a video format that the Roku 3 can handle but the audio is DTS, I simply ask Plex to direct play the file and it works perfectly, basically eliminating the need to transcode and out a ton of stress on the CPU of the machine running Plex Media Server. The soundbar decodes the DTS just fine.

Added bonus is I now it much better sound than the crappy TV speakers, but I didn't have to splurge for a receiver and speaker combo.

Thanks, Philip and Aero 1 for your suggestions.  :)

post #1275 of 2105 Old 01-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
^please clarify drewwilly, Is your soundbar connected to the Roku? That is, the DTS is passing through the Roku...
post #1276 of 2105 Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

^please clarify drewwilly, Is your soundbar connected to the Roku? That is, the DTS is passing through the Roku...

Hey DanPackMan,

My roku 3 is connected via hdmi to the soundbar, which is itself connected to the tv via hdmi. The soundbar decodes the DTS that the roku has passed to it and outputs the audio through its speakers while passing the video through the hdmi to the tv.

The soundbar can be seen here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E3AKF1C . It is only 2.1 audio in the end, bt the solution works for me so that I don't have to re-encode or transcode the audio on the files I have.
post #1277 of 2105 Old 01-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks drewelly. I did not know you could pass through DTS via HDMI on any Roku. Might that also work on a Roku 2XS?

EDIT: I just found out the answer is yes. I tested with an HDMI audio extractor and sure enough I can now hear DTS audio on my 5.1 system. (Also played a file marked DTS-MA). So this extractor is a good solution for those with optical audio in on their system (or even stereo analog in for that matter).

Thanks!
post #1278 of 2105 Old 01-10-2014, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Black Level not as dark with Roku 3!???

I'm not sure what the correct technical terminology is but: I have streaming on 3 different devices, two running through my Pioneer Receiver to the TV and one is built in to my Panasonic Plasma TV. I use HDMI cables for everything. I've noticed that the black level on all of the channels on my Roku 3 is lighter than it is on my Blu-Ray Panasonic Player or the built-in streaming. I like using the Roku 3 because of the speed of the processing but I don't like how the black bars are lighter and the picture does not have as deep a contrast. I can make adjustments but it isn't convenient. I've tried swapping the HDMI inputs between the Blu-ray player and the Roku to see if somehow my receiver was processing them differently. The picture on the Roku 3 was consistently lighter. I decided to hook up my old Roku HD using the cables connecting the Roku 3; and the Roku HD had the same dark picture as the Blu-ray and Built-in.

This difference is most obvious if I'm watching a letterboxed movie on Netlflix. With the Roku 3, the bars are much lighter. With the Blu-ray, they are black and vanish when I dim the lights. I know I can just use the Blu-ray player but...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Art

Art in Seattle
post #1279 of 2105 Old 01-10-2014, 05:49 AM

Liked: 18
^
This can happen when one TV hdmi input is used & the AVR has no video processing w/ independent input settings.
you can try to change colorspace settings (e.g., RGB range/RGB hdmi/hdmi black level) on the TV and Blu-ray player …
you didn’t list your gear models, btw. but for example;

on Panasonic TV look for “RGB range” settings and change it from “Auto” to “RGB standard” or “RGB non-standard”
on Panasonic Blu-ray player look for "HDMI RGB Output Range" settings and change it to "Enhanced" or "Standard"
fyi, R3 is pre-set to RGB(16-235)/ “RGB standard”

then tweak/adjusts TV settings (especially “brightens”).
artseattle likes this.
post #1280 of 2105 Old 01-10-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes definitely a RGB issue on the TV .... although some tvs just don't work well with RGB. Roku doesn't use extended range RGB ... Just standard 16-235
artseattle likes this.
post #1281 of 2105 Old 01-10-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Yes definitely a RGB issue on the TV .... although some tvs just don't work well with RGB. Roku doesn't use extended range RGB ... Just standard 16-235
Really what is the difference? I don't notice anything compared to the PS3.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1282 of 2105 Old 01-10-2014, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As usual, this forum is amazing. After several months of dealing with poor black levels on my Roku3, it takes 12 hours for someone to solve the problem. Thanks to avf5 and apw2607. I dove down into the HDMI menu of my Panasonic TV and found a control for the RGB range for each HDMI input. It was set on "non-standard." I think I followed someone's recommended tweaks for this TV from another forum. As soon as I switched it back to Auto, you could see the picture darken and the contrast matched the other streaming devices. I did notice that either "auto" or "standard" were fine. The Blu-ray player remained fine with the input switched to any setting. Only the Roku3 lightened up with the "non-standard" setting.

Again, thanks to all.

Art
Neil S. Bulk likes this.

Art in Seattle
post #1283 of 2105 Old 01-11-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I think Non standard equals extended range RGB ... thus the problem.

If the Roku used extended range RGB and the display device is set to extended ... all is good ofcourse. Glad it worked for you and you're back to inky blacks ;-) It must have looked awful before !!!!
post #1284 of 2105 Old 01-12-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by artseattle View Post

As usual, this forum is amazing. After several months of dealing with poor black levels on my Roku3, it takes 12 hours for someone to solve the problem. Thanks to avf5 and apw2607. I dove down into the HDMI menu of my Panasonic TV and found a control for the RGB range for each HDMI input. It was set on "non-standard." I think I followed someone's recommended tweaks for this TV from another forum. As soon as I switched it back to Auto, you could see the picture darken and the contrast matched the other streaming devices. I did notice that either "auto" or "standard" were fine. The Blu-ray player remained fine with the input switched to any setting. Only the Roku3 lightened up with the "non-standard" setting.

Again, thanks to all.

Art

Glad the fix worked for you. I still wished Roku had the option to output YCbCr like pretty much every other consumer device.

This is the reason I am now using an Apple TV and Chromecast on my main TV and my Roku 2 XS is currently retired. My Roku 2 RGB output messed with my receiver (and yes I did adjust the HDMI black level setting in the TV between standard/auto/non-standard)

The Apple TV / Chromecast set to YCbCr just work....

I can still see the issue on my Roku 2 in the kitchen - but just live with it as the old 26" Samsung TV has no HDMI level setting.
post #1285 of 2105 Old 01-13-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 734
plenty of devices output rgb. this is nothing new.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1286 of 2105 Old 01-13-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

True and I can't notice a difference between the Roku and PS3.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1287 of 2105 Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I know there are others - but most consumer devices either use or have an option to use YCbCr which makes sense as pretty much all content is sourced as YCbCr.

Yes a correctly set up RGB - RGB system should look indentical to a correctly set up YCbCr - YCbCr system but my experience is that devices that only output RGB have more potential for issues.

Roku 2 is a good example. When it was initially released it output PC level RGB 0 - 255 causing issues with many TVs at the time which expected RGB Standard 16 - 235 (per the HDMI spec). After a lot of complaints on the Roku forums they eventually confirmed that per the HDMI spec RGB should be 16 - 235 and fixed it in a software update. This fixed the issue for many whose TVs (including my main TV at the time) expected RGB Standard 16 - 235 - but broke it for many other TVs (including my kitchen Samsung TV which expected RGB 0 - 255). Admittedly these second set of TVs are out of the HDMI spec - but that included a lot of mainstream TVs.

As an added wrinkle the Roku 2 RGB levels (even after the fix) seemed to have an issue with some receivers (including mine) switching between standard/PC and non-standard RGB depending on the source.

So yes if all the devices are within the HDMI spec or allow switching between standard/non-standard RGB everything will work fine - but I have seen too many issues with out of spec devices messing with the color spec and black levels - and now will always get a consumer video device that support YCbCr at least as an option. With YCbCr there is no risk of confusion on black level or color space.
post #1288 of 2105 Old 01-16-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
just a heads up. the flixster on the roku 3 machine can now play your collection. All I had to do was search for an update manually. when I used the flixster for the first time. it posts a code to use on the computer. I did that and then its a brand new screen and my titles were there to watch..

enjoy.

Jacob
calculon68 likes this.
post #1289 of 2105 Old 01-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

just a heads up. the flixster on the roku 3 machine can now play your collection. All I had to do was search for an update manually. when I used the flixster for the first time. it posts a code to use on the computer. I did that and then its a brand new screen and my titles were there to watch..

enjoy.

Jacob

I assume you are talking about playing an Ultraviolet collection.
post #1290 of 2105 Old 01-16-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

I assume you are talking about playing an Ultraviolet collection.

yes.

Jacob
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page