Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #1441 of 2007 Old 03-03-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 470
The new Netflix UI on Roku 3 pays attention to the Roku system sound settings; if you have that set to "Stereo" the UI will not offer you 5.1 sound. In the old UI (current on all post-July-2011 models other than Roku 3) ignores the system sound setting but there is an "Audio & subtitles" setting which can be changed for any title which is "sticky"; set it to stereo for any title and it will stay set to stereo for every title you play after that until you set it to 5.1 sound for some title, after which that will become the default.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2007 Old 03-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The new Netflix UI on Roku 3 pays attention to the Roku system sound settings; if you have that set to "Stereo" the UI will not offer you 5.1 sound. In the old UI (current on all post-July-2011 models other than Roku 3) ignores the system sound setting but there is an "Audio & subtitles" setting which can be changed for any title which is "sticky"; set it to stereo for any title and it will stay set to stereo for every title you play after that until you set it to 5.1 sound for some title, after which that will become the default.
How new is this new Netflix UI on the Roku 3? is it any different from what were used to already? He is currently using the Samsung BD-F5900 for Netflix playback. And I am using either the WDTV SMP (living room) or my Windows 8.1 computer (in my Bedroom) for Netflix. His TV is a really nice panel but only 720p, but it has one of the most impressive screens I have ever seen. I tested his Optical audio output (while trouble shooting another incident) and it seems to work fine, but I am not completely sure what it converts the audio to. He is not willing to spend money on an external speaker system like an A/V center because it is in his bedroom and he only has a DTV box and a BD player, and now a Roku 3. His speakers are a Logitech Z5500 (with Optical, Coaxial and Analog 5.1 inputs) which sound great in his small bedroom, but he is not even using the rear speakers. So I have a feeling he will not notice any difference.

Looks like the Priority mail was not so Priority, so I will have to wait until tomorrow I think. At least it is not showing as out for delivery, but I do not think anyone has checked the mail yet. I am very concerned about the Netflix PQ because if it is terrible it will be the second time I have failed him with recommendations. lol, luckily he has to work tomorrow and will be out of town, so I can mess with it a bit before he gets back...

EDIT: LOL, I just noticed who you are wink.gif
post #1443 of 2007 Old 03-03-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

How new is this new Netflix UI on the Roku 3? is it any different from what were used to already?

It's this, new as of mid-November. I have it on Roku 3, TiVo Roamio, TiVo Premiere, PS3 and Xbox 360; my BDPs and WD TV Live have the old common Netflix UI and my Roku 2 XS has the older Roku Netflix UI that the Roku 3 started out with.
SkOrPn likes this.

post #1444 of 2007 Old 03-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's this, new as of mid-November. I have it on Roku 3, TiVo Roamio, TiVo Premiere, PS3 and Xbox 360; my BDPs and WD TV Live have the old common Netflix UI and my Roku 2 XS has the older Roku Netflix UI that the Roku 3 started out with.
Thanks Michael. Yeah my old panasonic BD player from 2010 has the old Netflix UI, the one without Profiles etc. Which is why its now sitting in the closet all boxed up.

Got a simple question. I just noticed on a Youtube video it says something about having a Roku account with payment information. Will it be necessary in order for him to watch Netflix, Hulu+ and to install Plex? Those are the only three channels he will be using right away. In fact, he asked me to make sure I delete all the other pre-installed channels, lol... He does not have a Roku account and he asked me to create it for him, but I do not know his banking info and I will probably not want to ask either. He will freak out on that, especially after his identity and credit card info was just stolen a few months ago.
post #1445 of 2007 Old 03-03-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Got a simple question. I just noticed on a Youtube video it says something about having a Roku account with payment information. Will it be necessary in order for him to watch Netflix, Hulu+ and to install Plex? Those are the only three channels he will be using right away. In fact, he asked me to make sure I delete all the other pre-installed channels, lol... He does not have a Roku account and he asked me to create it for him, but I do not know his banking info and I will probably not want to ask either. He will freak out on that, especially after his identity and credit card info was just stolen a few months ago.

Yeah, you will need to create a Roku account for him. If you like, you can get a pre paid debit card and put a set amount of money on it to link to the account (I recommend either a Western Union or American Express pre paid, as they do not tack on a monthly maintinance fee). A card is needed only for app purchases and when using the M-Go pay per view service for movies and shows. The Netflix, Hulu+, and Plex apps are free. There are some paid apps but sounds like your dad may not be interested in those.

SkOrPn likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1446 of 2007 Old 03-03-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Got a simple question. I just noticed on a Youtube video it says something about having a Roku account with payment information. Will it be necessary in order for him to watch Netflix, Hulu+ and to install Plex? Those are the only three channels he will be using right away.

Payment information is not necessary to use channels, just to buy them. The only channel that I know of which can use your Roku payment information is M-GO, which is integrated with the UI ("Movies" and "TV Shows" on the main menu) and even that can use payment information on your M-GO account. Some "channels", like games, cost money, which would be paid for with your account payment information. You can create a Roku account without payment information by calling them or you can create an account with payment information and then go in and remove it.
SkOrPn likes this.

post #1447 of 2007 Old 03-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Yeah, you will need to create a Roku account for him. If you like, you can get a pre paid debit card and put a set amount of money on it to link to the account (I recommend either a Western Union or American Express pre paid, as they do not tack on a monthly maintinance fee). A card is needed only for app purchases and when using the M-Go pay per view service for movies and shows. The Netflix, Hulu+, and Plex apps are free. There are some paid apps but sounds like your dad may not be interested in those.
I just noticed that my account from years ago is still working. I just signed in, and its asking me to update my account with payment info. I wonder if I can use my account to at least get the machine started for him? I sent him an email about this instead of telling him in person. I think he is already having a bad day. No need for one of them pre-paid things, if he needs payment info he will need to break down and do it, or send the device back. Its that simple...
post #1448 of 2007 Old 03-03-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No need for one of them pre-paid things, if he needs payment info he will need to break down and do it, or send the device back. Its that simple...

Again, you can create an account with no payment information by calling Roku to do it, or create it online with payment information and then go in and immediately remove it.
SkOrPn likes this.

post #1449 of 2007 Old 03-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Payment information is not necessary to use channels, just to buy them. The only channel that I know of which can use your Roku payment information is M-GO, which is integrated with the UI ("Movies" and "TV Shows" on the main menu) and even that can use payment information on your M-GO account. Some "channels", like games, cost money, which would be paid for with your account payment information. You can create a Roku account without payment information by calling them or you can create an account with payment information and then go in and remove it.
Ok, then I may just use my account then to get started. It should still be a seamless experience for him, besides he's using my Netflix and Hulu+ accounts anyway. If in the future he creates his own account I am sure there will be a method to remove mine from the device, factory reset etc, and then enable it on his account. Thanks Michael & Westly
post #1450 of 2007 Old 03-03-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

...my BDPs and WD TV Live have the old common Netflix UI...

...my old panasonic BD player from 2010 has the old Netflix UI, the one without Profiles etc...

BTW, that old common Netflix UI does have Profiles and Netflix Kids on the devices that I listed. It probably hasn't been updated to have them on older devices (I doubt that my old Panasonic DMP-BDT110 has those features, although it does have a version of that UI). The old and new common Netflix UIs are built on top of essentially mini web browser engines and largely written in web authoring languages like Javascript (HTML5/Webkit for the old common UI and a new, pared down, application optimized layout/rendering engine of Netflix's design for the new common UI). Huge new features can be added to them without changing the devices' firmware, so without involvement (or even notification or permission) of the devices' manufacturers.

post #1451 of 2007 Old 03-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

BTW, that old common Netflix UI does have Profiles and Netflix Kids on the devices that I listed. It probably hasn't been updated to have them on older devices (I doubt that my old Panasonic DMP-BDT110 has those features, although it does have a version of that UI). The old and new common Netflix UIs are built on top of essentially mini web browser engines and largely written in web authoring languages like Javascript (HTML5/Webkit for the old common UI and a new, pared down, application optimized layout/rendering engine of Netflix's design for the new common UI). Huge new features can be added to them without changing the devices' firmware, so without involvement (or even notification or permission) of the devices' manufacturers.
Interesting, I might check to see for the fun of it (I checked in summer 2013 but it did not have the profile popup back then). Its a Panasonic DMP-BD65. Probably going to try and get $50 for it on ebay here soon if I can figure out how to remove any and all personal info.

By the way, the brother said he does not want to create an account at Roku, so I will have to activate it on my account. I don't foresee any problems with that I don't think rolleyes.gif
post #1452 of 2007 Old 03-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

The Netflix, Hulu+, and Plex apps are free. There are some paid apps but sounds like your dad may not be interested in those.

Well the app is free from Roku, but the service from Netflix and Hulu+ is fee-based. You set up accounts direct with them as part of signing up. I don't know how Plex works.
post #1453 of 2007 Old 03-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post

Quote:

The Netflix, Hulu+, and Plex apps are free. There are some paid apps but sounds like your dad may not be interested in those.

Well the app is free from Roku, but the service from Netflix and Hulu+ is fee-based. You set up accounts direct with them as part of signing up. I don't know how Plex works.
Plex is a media player for families that have a massive collection of local media files, ripped movies and TV shows and music collection's. You put all your media on a central server, install plex media server, connect it to the router and then everyone in the family has simultaneous access to it using plex apps or plex home theater. I already have both Hulu and Netflix service.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #1454 of 2007 Old 03-03-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Plex also has channels and you can stream quite a bit of content through them.
You can also share plex libraries remotely with friends and they can watch your content as well. Or watch on your own devices even when not at home.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #1455 of 2007 Old 03-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Plex also has channels and you can stream quite a bit of content through them.
You can also share plex libraries remotely with friends and they can watch your content as well. Or watch on your own devices even when not at home.
I just pray the Plex app works. The only reason my brother purchased the Roku 3 was for it's plex app.

post #1456 of 2007 Old 03-03-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just pray the Plex app works. The only reason my brother purchased the Roku 3 was for it's plex app.

It works wonderfully. I use it every day.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #1457 of 2007 Old 03-04-2014, 01:19 AM

Liked: 13
My roku streams great but plex from my laptop buffs often. Anyone have a link to their build using synology or nas type device. I guess this is the way to go from what I've read.

This would be mostly for streaming plex channels.
post #1458 of 2007 Old 03-04-2014, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post

My roku streams great but plex from my laptop buffs often. Anyone have a link to their build using synology or nas type device. I guess this is the way to go from what I've read.

This would be mostly for streaming plex channels.

So is your Roku set up with wireless? If so it may be an issue with your wireless.
post #1459 of 2007 Old 03-04-2014, 06:25 AM

Yes they are all set up wireless to my older linksys e2500. roku apps like Hulu Netflix etc stream fine. It's just the stuff from pled, that plays from my laptop that buffers initially. Maybe time to change the router?
post #1460 of 2007 Old 03-04-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Maybe it's something to do with simultaneous 2-way wireless streaming from your laptop to the router and the router to the Roku needing twice the wireless bandwidth?
post #1461 of 2007 Old 03-04-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

The other thing to check is how much CPU is being used during transcoding. Perhaps your laptop isn't powerful enough? Make sure you're using automatic for playback in plex on the roku.
I run my network at home wired and have no issues at all. I picked up a Chromecast to test with which is wireless and the results are poor. Wireless is just too unreliable in my opinion. I even picked up a new router and set it right next to the Chromecast and it didn't help much. Video quality is nowhere near as good as the roku.

post #1462 of 2007 Old 03-04-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I set my router to exclusively use wireless N, that doubled the throughput. I've only toyed around with wireless, my Roku is hardwired. This summer I will be using the laptop in my bedroom (its where the a/c is), its connected with wireless. and I will see then. Have watched with VLC from there without problems.
post #1463 of 2007 Old 03-04-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Maybe it's something to do with simultaneous 2-way wireless streaming from your laptop to the router and the router to the Roku needing twice the wireless bandwidth?

That's why I think I should have some type of synology device hooked up to the router instead.
post #1464 of 2007 Old 03-04-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's why I think I should have some type of synology device hooked up to the router instead.
I don't think plex media server supports transcoding from those devices.

post #1465 of 2007 Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 PM

What's the next solution
post #1466 of 2007 Old 03-04-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's the next solution
check your laptops CPU to see if that's the issue. If it's plenty powerful enough then perhaps plug your laptop into your router and see if the issue goes away.

post #1467 of 2007 Old 03-04-2014, 01:00 PM

It's defiantly the laptop. 5 years old i3.
post #1468 of 2007 Old 03-04-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's defiantly the laptop. 5 years old i3.

Not necessarily. I was able to do most videos on a Core2duo e6600. Just watch CPU usage when it's transcoding.

post #1469 of 2007 Old 03-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Find an old PC computer, or buy something cheap at ebay preferably Intel with 4 cores. Buy Windows Home Server 2011, its cheap, or try Ubuntu on it for free. Install Plex Media Server, and get some descent hard drives. I found a Intel Quad Core Q6600 with 4gb of memory in one of our closets here, still attached to an old BFG (non existent company now) motherboard, probably something Dad used to use. I put it in a old unused atx case, got myself a small 60gb SSD for the OS (this is where the media database runs from). And three SATA hard drives totaling 4.5 gigs. I installed WHS2011 which cost me $30 a few years back, and installed a PCIe Intel Gigabit NIC card, the one with the highest ratings at Newegg $20 or so.

Could not have worked out any better and it is super fast to access our media whether we are using wifi or not. I also installed several paid for apps, one for saving power (Lights-Out) and another for combining all the drives into one large media folder (DrivePool), and another to warn me via email if any of the drives start showing signs of going bad. Blows away any NAS I could hope to find and cost me much less.
post #1470 of 2007 Old 03-04-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I ran both versions of WHS and it worked well.

On my latest server build I went with windows 8. Why? Because it has drive pooling and can do parity where WHS could only do mirrioring.

But in the case of WHS or Windows 8 you can use hard drives of any size which to me is a huge advantage over other devices that require you to have matched drives.
SkOrPn likes this.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page